Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #3

Could he have pulled down his pants to relieve himself by the water when he fell in. The water pulling his pants off and his boots with them. As the weight of the water soaked jeans pulled on his boots to take them off of his body? It has always been one of my theories that drunk men falling in to water comes as they relieve themselves.

I don’t come from a cowboy boot-wearing culture, but I would presume that your point, if valid, would be on dry land.

IMO it is abundantly clear that Riley’s boots are no match for two weeks of river current tugging at his body, or battered for however long he was stuck under that barge with the ever-flowing water, or for the amount of decomposition his body endured, which would make it easy for his pants and boots and wallet to slide off.

It’s not a test of how macho he was in hanging onto his boots.

JMO

RBBM: Thank you Arkay for saying what I have been thinking. I have lost two of my brothers-in-law (I hope I wrote that right) to drowning. Although neither was missing for as long as Riley was, their clothing was displaced when they were found because of the river currents. Your last sentence of your post on exactly what I have been thinking. His boots would have come off because of the currents in the river, not because he had any control on whether he wanted them to or not.

I’ve been watching a lot of drunken arrest videos on you tube lately.
I came across a video posted on July 2022 of a person in the Cumberland River @ midnight near the area where RS was last seen. The boater rescued the woman and dropped her to shore. Insightful although different weather conditions.

This reminds me so much of Kiely Rodni, with people so completely desperate to believe in some sort of grand conspiracy (in which an extremely tall adult male, whose cell phone and watch simultaneously go dead at the same time while he is very near to water and very drunk, was somehow ... stopped by an unknown assailant, forced to immediately turn off his phone and watch, taken somewhere, assaulted and killed in some fashion that did not show up on autopsy, stripped of his pants and boots, and then thrown back into the river -- with his shirt and watch but not his pants or boots or phone -- at the exact spot where he was abducted, such that he was found precisely where the data suggested he would be had he just drunkenly fallen in). In Kiely's case, even after watching her car drive into the reservoir, people were still somehow convinced that she'd been murdered, shoved in the back, and then driven into the reservoir by someone who then was magically beamed up out of the reservoir, leaving no trace.

I have a stepson Riley's age and a daughter Kiely's age. I cannot imagine the devastation of losing them. But tragic accidents happen all the time, and it does no one any favors to pretend otherwise.

P.S. As to whether Riley, called an avid outdoorsman, could swim ... my friend who drowned in the Mississippi River was an Eagle Scout and a trained lifeguard. Neither is any match against the mighty Mississippi.
I couldn’t possibly have said this any better. Some of the scenarios put forth elsewhere, genuinely have me wondering if people are posting on social media from the comfort of a mental hospital.

Many of them have also become bridge experts and structural engineers in the past couple of days.

In any event, they should have their phones taken away.

Accidents happen.

RIP Riley.

Nothing about this strikes me as suspicious. Dry drowning can cause a lack of water in the lungs. But so, I think, can a cardiac arrest from hitting the cold water; it causes an immediate cessation of breathing and therefore you don't inhale water.

Losing boots and pants after two weeks in a fast current doesn't sound very surprising to me. If Riley's upper body was more protected from the current by the barge he was trapped under, it easily explains the shirt not coming off.

I see many mundane possibilities, such as Riley losing his balance when vomiting or urinating, or dropping his phone into the water and trying to clamber down the riverbank to retrieve it. If he was searching for a dropped phone he may even have removed his boots and pants because he didn't want to get them wet when he waded into the water. They could have subsequently been washed away.

So many possibilities with no third-party involvement required for any of them. A truly tragic accident.

Brian Entin was spot on on the Gabby Petito case. I think Ashleigh Banfield just went with bad info on this case.
I don't really think that's so but I do realize everybody is entitled to his/her opinion. :) But I don't think it's that AB got bad info. She made it bad.

There very well could have been another shirt exactly like or very similar to RS's in Nashville. We had posts here for similar shirts on Amazon. So a homeless person could have found a similar shirt just the way it was reported. On a rail near the Fort. Coincidence. Those things happen in breaking/changing news stories. But Ashley kept calling it "Riley's shirt with vomit on it" when she interviewed the homeless advocate who told the supposed finder's story. No one could say then it was RS's-- and as it turns out, it wasn't. And later AB claimed the advocate said the finder's story didn't make sense when AB is the one who said that. I just don't see it as "going with bad info." I see it as not caring about accurate reporting but instead creating a more sensational story for clicks.
MOO

Riley Strain’s family has had a second autopsy done.They say Riley was found in the river near Nashville without his cowboy boots and jeans on – and the coroner said there was a “lack of water” in Riley’s lungs which “raises more questions.”

If he had fallen into the water, he may have shed his boots and jeans as they would really weigh him down a lot. I hope they drag where they think he fell in to find them. When my sister was training to be a lifeguard as a teen, they made them get into the water with clothing to see how difficult it is to stay afloat with clothing and shoes. He then may have been able to stay afloat until hypothermia overcame him.

Last edited:
If he had fallen into the water, he may have shed his boots and jeans as they would really weigh him down a lot. I hope they drag where they think he fell in to find them. When my sister was training to be a lifeguard as a teen, they made them get into the water with clothing to see how difficult it is to stay afloat with clothing and shoes. He then may have been able to stay afloat until hypothermia overcame him.
Just to add to this. Since we grew up on a lake and did all things in the lake: swimming, diving, boating, skiing, canoeing, skating... When the neighborhood kids learned what my sister had to do in lifeguard training we were all so nosy and she would come home and practice on us. We were a little skeptical that we couldn't swim in clothing so we tried it out and immediately came to the same conclusion. Boy, were our mom's mad with all the wet shoes. But we learned a lot.

I suppose that might be what happened. But I doubt the clothing and boots would still be in the river near where they were shed after several weeks. Current could move those things anywhere along the 8 or so miles his body seems to have moved.
MOO

I suppose that might be what happened. But I doubt the clothing and boots would still be in the river near where they were shed after several weeks. Current could move those things anywhere along the 8 or so miles his body seems to have moved.
MOO
Possibly. We lived on a lake with currents. My dad lost his wallet and years later I found it next to our boat, between the dock and our boat. When it was breezy and there was a current it was hard to see anything. But I happened to go out on a clear, still day and looked into the water as I was pushing myself off from the pier in the boat and spied it as clear as day. Of course this was no rushing river and it was close to shore in only about 3 feet of water, so it's hard to compare. We'd have to know the current strength and depth I guess.
But getting back to having shoes and pants in the water; I remember that it was insanely hard to kick when attempting to swim and clothing caused such drag. I don't think a shirt would be as bad.

Maybe require they call an uber for their obviously inebriated guests.
The money would need to be worked out -- Uber added to bar bill maybe to prevent guest from making fuss. If guest is uncooperative and refusing, be required to call cops to put into paddy wagon. Busy cops forced to be on drunk patrol on Saturday nights would likely become very offended.

Odd predeliction!
Maybe require they call an uber for their obviously inebriated guests.

The money would need to be worked out -- Uber added to bar bill maybe to prevent guest from making fuss. If guest is uncooperative and refusing, be required to call cops to put into paddy wagon. Busy cops forced to be on drunk patrol on Saturday nights would likely become very offended.
But Ubers aren't always safe. Is a bar really going to force an inebriated guest into a car driven by a stranger? Even single female guests? What if the guest pukes & gets tossed out of the Uber who knows where?

So far as uncooperative guests who refuse to get into a bar-ordered Uber go, do jails really have large "drunk tanks" these days? Even if the town has extra cops to do drunk patrol? And what would the legal violation be that would allow the cops to take custody? Public drunkenness isn't a crime everywhere. It's not in Nashville unless the case can be made for harm. And refusing an Uber might not be enough for that IMO Nashville Public Intoxication Defense Lawyer - Drunk in Public Lawyer
MOO

I still think that an establishment that ejects a person in a vulnerable condition should be held accountable.

I’ve been watching a lot of drunken arrest videos on you tube lately.
If there is no person coming to pick the drunk they are put into a holding cell till sober.

Something has to change.

I agree with you that something needs to change, but IMO what needs to change is people thinking that getting blackout drunk makes for a pleasant evening.

Unpopular opinion, I know, but if people drank just socially, or not at all, all of this could be avoided.

Today there was a story about a West Point cadet who was drunk and found drowned. Spring break in Florida, hit the bars, separated from his friends, found dead in the water.

All these deaths are individually devastating but follow an all too familiar yet avoidable pattern.

IMO

Last edited:
But Ubers aren't always safe. Is a bar really going to force an inebriated guest into a car driven by a stranger? Even single female guests? What if the guest pukes & gets tossed out of the Uber who knows where?

So far as uncooperative guests who refuse to get into a bar-ordered Uber go, do jails really have large "drunk tanks" these days? Even if the town has extra cops to do drunk patrol? And what would the legal violation be that would allow the cops to take custody? Public drunkenness isn't a crime everywhere. It's not in Nashville unless the case can be made for harm. And refusing an Uber might not be enough for that IMO Nashville Public Intoxication Defense Lawyer - Drunk in Public Lawyer
MOO
Can't disagree with any of that. Public drunkenness not being a crime everywhere is news to me (and downright unAmerican, if you ask me. Where are the stocks when you need 'em?:)) My reply simply followed another's thoughts of pouring a drunk into an Uber -- there will always be the money situation. And as you mentioned the safety issue. And others. There are no easy answers.

But Ubers aren't always safe. Is a bar really going to force an inebriated guest into a car driven by a stranger?
My assumption is that once the establishment arranges a rideshare for the guest it becomes someone else's legal responsibility. I don't see any need for anyone forcing anyone.

My assumption is that once the establishment arranges a rideshare for the guest it becomes someone else's legal responsibility. I don't see any need for anyone forcing anyone.
Ok. I don't know that most people being cut off at a bar will happily jump in an Uber the bar arranged to take them home. Often people who've been drinking aren't especially "cooperative." But maybe I'm wrong. It's not really clear though who would pay for the ride.

If something went wrong in the Uber-- a crime against the inebriated guest or even a car accident where the Uber driver was at fault-- I wouldn't count on the bar that arranged the ride having no legal liability. But I'm not a lawyer.
MOO

Ok. I don't know that most people being cut off at a bar will happily jump in an Uber the bar arranged to take them home. Often people who've been drinking aren't especially "cooperative." But maybe I'm wrong. It's not really clear though who would pay for the ride.

If something went wrong in the Uber-- a crime against the inebriated guest or even a car accident where the Uber driver was at fault-- I wouldn't count on the bar that arranged the ride having no legal liability. But I'm not a lawyer.
MOO
Again, I'm just talking about the legal responsibility of a bar when expelling an inebriated guest. Once the rideshare has been arranged whatever bad happens after that is no longer the establishment's problem. I'm not saying that's how it is, I'm just saying that's a law I could get behind.
Now as for solving the actual problems of drunks wandering the streets, or uber drivers going rogue...
That's for a higher power, I'm afraid.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back