Travis Alexander and Jodi Arias - What do you believe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn’t look like that this session, which Jodi attended, settled much. Everything, including the defense attempt to squelch the death penalty, was pushed forward to June 18th. To an outsider, it seems a bit surprising that Arias’s lawyers had not previously specified the e-mail accounts they were requesting. One would assume that the prosecution would object to such a fishing expedition and the judge would require such specifications. Perhaps it was just carelessness or a forced acknowledgment that Jodi and her lawyers just don’t know what e-mail accounts have been tapped.

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/042010/m4185739.pdf

Based on the arguments presented,
IT IS ORDERED that on or before April 20, 2010, Defense counsel shall provide the State with the list of requested e-mail accounts.
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED setting Evidentiary Hearing on June 18, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. (time allotted: 2 hours) in this division.
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED setting oral argument on Defendant’s Motion to Dismiss the Alternative Charge of Felony Murder on June 18, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. in this division. The State shall file a Response to the above-mentioned motion and Defendant may file a Reply.
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED setting the next Capital Case Management Conference on June 18, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. in this division.
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that no less than two working days before each Case Management Conference, the parties shall submit a Joint Case Management Report. This report will inform the court of:
1. The specific progress made since the last Case Management Conference in
completing activities previously established by the court and the parties;
2. Specific case preparation to be completed before the next Case Management
Conference;
3. Witnesses who have been interviewed in the preceding month;
4. Witnesses who will be interviewed in the upcoming month;
5. Pending issues to be resolved;
6. Motion(s) to be filed; and
7. Counsel’s trial conflicts, if any exist.

It doesn’t look like that this session, which Jodi attended, settled much. Everything, including the defense attempt to squelch the death penalty, was pushed forward to June 18th. To an outsider, it seems a bit surprising that Arias’s lawyers had not previously specified the e-mail accounts they were requesting. One would assume that the prosecution would object to such a fishing expedition and the judge would require such specifications. Perhaps it was just carelessness or a forced acknowledgment that Jodi and her lawyers just don’t know what e-mail accounts have been tapped.

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/042010/m4185739.pdf

Based on the arguments presented,
IT IS ORDERED that on or before April 20, 2010, Defense counsel shall provide the State with the list of requested e-mail accounts.
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED setting Evidentiary Hearing on June 18, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. (time allotted: 2 hours) in this division.
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED setting oral argument on Defendant’s Motion to Dismiss the Alternative Charge of Felony Murder on June 18, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. in this division. The State shall file a Response to the above-mentioned motion and Defendant may file a Reply.
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED setting the next Capital Case Management Conference on June 18, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. in this division.
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that no less than two working days before each Case Management Conference, the parties shall submit a Joint Case Management Report. This report will inform the court of:
1. The specific progress made since the last Case Management Conference in
completing activities previously established by the court and the parties;
2. Specific case preparation to be completed before the next Case Management
Conference;
3. Witnesses who have been interviewed in the preceding month;
4. Witnesses who will be interviewed in the upcoming month;
5. Pending issues to be resolved;
6. Motion(s) to be filed; and
7. Counsel’s trial conflicts, if any exist.

Thanks for the information Chanler, now we have to wait until June before we are likely to get any new information....and to think this was supposed to go to trial in February...

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office shall transport Jodi Ann Arias, date of birth: 07/09/1980, booking number: P458434, to the Lions Vision Center at 1016 North 32nd Street, Phoenix, AZ 85008, within 30 days of the date of this order, for purposes of conducting an eye examination of the Defendant.

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/042010/m4192866.pdf

What I wouldn't give to be there when she arrives and ask her a few questions just to see if her story has recently changed.

This woman is pure, unadulterated evil. I will be very interested to see the trial info. Glad she will be able to see the judge well when she is sentenced.

This woman is pure, unadulterated evil. I will be very interested to see the trial info. Glad she will be able to see the judge well when she is sentenced.

ITA - when I first read the motion, I thought, what does she need to have her eyes checked for, she's not going anywhere for a very long time.

I came here thinking the trial would either be in process or close to it ... Sadly, it looks like the process is moving at the speed of a Galapagos tortoise on land. I understand the importance of the defendant's rights in a capital murder case, but this is becoming downright irritating. The next hearing is set almost 30 days out? Good grief!!!! I can only imagine how this has impacted Travis' family and friends!!!!

As always, a pleasure to read your analysis of the hearing Chanler, thank you.

Viewed one way, all crimes have three main components:
The culprit.
The circumstances.
The motive.

Most of us here have drawn logical conclusions about the identity of Travis Alexander’s murderer, but how did it happen and what was Jodi Arias’s motive? I think that some details released already offer some insights into what happened and why she did it.

According to the arrest warrant, the timeline of the immediate incident is brief: Jodi seems to have arrived early in the afternoon of June 4th. Travis’ last phone call occurred at 12:13 p.m.; by 1:40, the pair were already taking provocative photos of one another.

Things seem to have been still friendly at 5:22, when Jodi takes pictures of the naked Travis in the shower, but the last photographs of him still clearly alive “just before his death” occur just eight minutes later. Then follow, presumably soon thereafter, pictures of him on the bathroom floor bleeding profusely.

To me, these details are indications of premeditation. Tempers flare, but even in an extreme transition, few of us have a loaded gun so close at hand. As Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho taught us, we are seldom if ever as exposed or vulnerable as we are in the closed confines of a bathroom shower. In such a close space, catching Travis off guard after a few bantering photos might have seemed like an effective way to neutralize this much larger would-be victim. That the camera wound up on the floor (as Jodi said that police told her) is not a surprise: It had served its purpose.

Unfortunately for Arias, this execution-style shooting didn’t work. Travis was shot in the head, but the bullet apparently did not penetrate his brain. Jodi must have been terrified: Travis was stunned, bloody, but still alive. Apparently though, he could no longer overpower little Jodi or escape from being cornered in the bathroom, but his wounds (and the arm injuries that her associates at the conference reported) do indicate that he put up a struggle. (At this point, her alibi description of him on all fours and losing feeling in his legs possesses a certain plausibility.) While he was struggling to stay alive, a probably panicked Jodi attacked him furiously with a knife, inflicting literally dozens of wounds on his body and eventually cutting his throat from ear to ear.

As her first alibi indicates, her original plan was straight and simply: She would insist that she hadn’t seen Travis in several months. But now Jodi’s one-shot murder plan was in shambles and she wasn’t thinking completely straight. Instead of taking the camera with her, she attempted (unsuccessfully) to destroy it in the washing machine. It’s possible that she also stripped the bedding and washed it downstairs to remove DNA traces. But she doesn’t seem to have cleaned up the bathroom crime scene with one puzzling exception: She rinsed off Travis’ body. (In the next post, I’ll suggest one possible reason for this.)

Jodi was no doubt frazzled, but after she left the scene, she still apparently believed that she was safe. When the police contacted her (probably more quickly than she imagined), she stuck with an all-or-nothing story that left her exposed if any crime scene evidence was found. Her later decision to go public after her arrest with her own original story indicates the level of her persistent, foolish self-assurance.

Seems to me that Jodi may be in need of Pre-Paid Legal, herself.

A couple random thoughts...

I think she washed the body in the shower, because she realized that she too was cut, and had to wash her blood off the body.

She also claims to only own a 9mm hand gun. It was lost however. If LE cannot find a receipt, or other proof that it was in fact a 9mm, I'm calling BS. I say it was a 25 caliber.

I agree with you alfranken.. I do believe that she rinsed his body to rid of her own blood as well. I think she also did it, to have cleansed her entire body, because there is no way that she wasn't covered from head to toe. But the question is, did she shower before or after placing Travis inside the narrow shower stall?

In her televised interview with the Mesa news stations, She says that the police retrieved 9mm ammunition, but were unable to find the handgun. But then again, when has anything that remotely sounded like the truth, ever leave Jodi's mouth?

Chanler: "Unfortunately for Arias, this execution-style shooting didn’t work. Travis was shot in the head, but the bullet apparently did not penetrate his brain."

If I recall from past reports and the photos I've seen, I believe that Travis was shot in the left cheek.

Also, about trying to destroy the camera in the washing machine... I think it was actually accidental. I believe that she did in fact wash the bedding to get rid of her DNA, but I think the camera may have been unknowingly wrapped up in the blankets and or sheets. Reports say that his bedroom was torn all apart.. This could have been an attempt to stage a, "robbery" or it could have actually been from Jodi trying to find the camera.. Not entirely sure, it's just opinion really.

It's difficult to place guilt upon an acquiantance of mine, someone who is very good friends with very good friends of mine as well.. But it's even more difficult to see any innocence on her behalf in this whole ordeal.

I agree with you alfranken.. I do believe that she rinsed his body to rid of her own blood as well. I think she also did it, to have cleansed her entire body, because there is no way that she wasn't covered from head to toe. But the question is, did she shower before or after placing Travis inside the narrow shower stall?

In her televised interview with the Mesa news stations, She says that the police retrieved 9mm ammunition, but were unable to find the handgun. But then again, when has anything that remotely sounded like the truth, ever leave Jodi's mouth?

Chanler: "Unfortunately for Arias, this execution-style shooting didn’t work. Travis was shot in the head, but the bullet apparently did not penetrate his brain."

If I recall from past reports and the photos I've seen, I believe that Travis was shot in the left cheek.

Also, about trying to destroy the camera in the washing machine... I think it was actually accidental. I believe that she did in fact wash the bedding to get rid of her DNA, but I think the camera may have been unknowingly wrapped up in the blankets and or sheets. Reports say that his bedroom was torn all apart.. This could have been an attempt to stage a, "robbery" or it could have actually been from Jodi trying to find the camera.. Not entirely sure, it's just opinion really.

It's difficult to place guilt upon an acquiantance of mine, someone who is very good friends with very good friends of mine as well.. But it's even more difficult to see any innocence on her behalf in this whole ordeal.

Hi, SheStartedIt, it's good to see your posts. I deeply appreciate that this must be complicated for you emotionally.

The arrest warrant indicates "one gunshot wound to the right brow. The .25 caliber projectile was located in his left cheek."

Whatever her reasons for rinsing off Travis, Jodi did not perform an extensive blood clean-up of the crime scene. In the photographs published elsewhere, blood was clearly visible and Jodi's own incriminating bloody palm print and blood-embedded hair were also found.

I don't think that Travis' camera ended up in the washing machine accidentally. The digital camera was on the bathroom floor when the last pictures were taken, not in the large master bedroom. As the person who took several of the pictures and was the subject of several others, Jodi would almost certainly be aware that they had evidentiary value. Her assumption that the washing machine cycle might destroy the camera was, moreover, not completely unreasonable: Such devices sometimes don't work after being jostled badly or submerged. But of course there's a difference between a camera (or computer) not working and having data beyond laboratory recovery.

IT IS ORDERED setting oral argument on June 18, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. in this division, to be heard in conjunction with the Capital Case Management Conference.

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/062010/m4256455.pdf

Thanks so much, Nobodyzgirl. The defense motion to postpone the start of the trial indicates once again that they're struggling with mastering the materials (and possibly still battling over trial strategies with jailhouse Jodi). The defendant put her own team in a very, very deep hole. Her initial refusal to call 911 or admit her presence at the crime scene will loom large in a jurors' minds. And her measured, rational demeanor could actually be a big negative: Jurors would be more sympathetic to a defendant who seems frantic and traumatized.

My best guess is that Jodi's story will change again and she will say that Travis came at her naked after his shower, perhaps for rough sex, and she had to defend herself against this much, much larger, violent assailant. After he died, she decided that his friends would make it impossible for her to convince anyone that he had initiated the struggle and so she fled. And it had been such an unreal episode that she just tried to be positive and put it behind her. It sounds preposterous, but it's actually a better contrived alibi than her two masked assassins.

June 14th, 2010

The Court has recieved State's Motion to Preclude Letters Purportedly Written by Travis Alexander to Defendant filed on 06/10/2010.

IT IS ORDERED setting oral argument on June 18, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. in this division, to be heard in conjuction with the Capital Case Management Conference.

June 15th, 2010

The Court has received and considered Defendant's Request for Extension of Time Limit to Respond to the State's Motion to Preclude Letters Purportedly Written By Travis Alexander to Defendant and Request for Evidentiary Hearing.

IT IS ORDERED granting Defendant's Request for Extension of Time.

June 14th, 2010

The Court has recieved State's Motion to Preclude Letters Purportedly Written by Travis Alexander to Defendant filed on 06/10/2010.

IT IS ORDERED setting oral argument on June 18, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. in this division, to be heard in conjuction with the Capital Case Management Conference.

June 15th, 2010

The Court has received and considered Defendant's Request for Extension of Time Limit to Respond to the State's Motion to Preclude Letters Purportedly Written By Travis Alexander to Defendant and Request for Evidentiary Hearing.

IT IS ORDERED granting Defendant's Request for Extension of Time.

Hi, SheStartedIt. Thanks so much; I hadn't seen this. Obviously, Travis hadn't written to Jodi that it would be okay to murder him, so the question arises what do the letters contain. They are written by Travis, not by Jodi, and it is the state, not the defendant, who wants them precluded from evidence. A few ideas:

1. Perhaps they include statements that might be used to bolster a possible defense argument that Jodi had been responding to a physical attack by the victim. Travis was a very conscientious Mormon, so it's possible that he would be apologizing in letters for raging against Jodi, whose possessive behavior did apparently sometimes greatly irk him.

2. It's possible that the letters show that the relationship had mellowed into a friendship and that this was not a jealous revenge killing.

3. The state might be arguing that the letters (which we can logically assume were recovered from Jodi) reveal only what she deemed worth saving; that they don't represent a true picture of the whole relationship. Or they might be maintaining the letters trace an arc that has no relevance to what appears to be an irrational act of execution by Jodi.

4. The defense always seems to be playing catch-up. Apparently, they are too caught up in details to demand a speedy trial for their imprisoned defendant. (On the other hand, they had received the request only the day before, leaving them with just a single day to organize a rebuttal.)

5. By asking the judge to exclude the letters, the prosecution might be attempting to force the
hand of the defense to reveal aspects of their dominant strategy.

Anyone else with ideas about what this means?

I haven't had a chance to read this yet, though I thought I'd post it for everyone.

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/062010/m4272242.pdf

Hi, Nobodyzgirl; thanks. Apparently, Jodi either [1] doesn't mind jail, [2] doesn't think that a speedy trial will help her chances, or [3] her lawyers are looking desperately for anything that might save her and hoping the TV interviews will be forgotten. Or perhaps the postponement comes down to a schedule problem, the "trial conflict" mentioned early on.

To me, these court papers are the first that indicate clearly that the defense wants to be in the ballpark. Taking depositions and attempting to gather records that might somehow exonerate Arias or at least make her actions more understandable. For example, perhaps the journals indicate that Travis at some point became physical when he felt provoked by Jodi or perhaps the cellphone records indicate that he was still much more interested in her than even his close friends suspected. Or perhaps the phone records might raise the possibility of some other love triangle or extenuating circumstance.

And the death penalty is still on the table.

Jodi's defense motion against a back-up charge is denied:

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/062010/m4274460.pdf

While Defendant claims that the felony murder charge is insufficient because there is no
evidence that she broke into the victim’s home, such evidence is not necessary to satisfy the
statutory scheme.​
1 Burglary may also occur when a person remain unlawfully with the intent to commit a felony, as the State alleges here. See A.R.S. § 13-1507(A). Thus, Defendant has not established that the felony murder charge is “insufficient as a matter of law.” Rule 16.6(b),
Ariz.R.Crim.P.

Defendant’s second argument, that she will be exposed to the death penalty twice because the State has charged first degree murder in the alternative, is also unsupported. “There is only a single crime of first degree murder.”
State v. Tucker, 205 Ariz. 157, 167, ¶ 50, 68 P.3d 110, 120 (2003). Thus, although the State has charged Defendant with first degree murder committed in alternative ways, Defendant can only be convicted of one count.

Posted by Travis' sister Hillary on the, "In Memory of" Facebook page for Travis.

"JODI HAS CHANGED HER STORY AGAIN AND IS NOW SAYING SHE KILLED MY BROTHER IN SELF DEFENSE.THE DEFENSE TEAM IS OUT TO BASH TRAVIS & HAS BEEN DROPPING IN ON PEOPLE WHO KNEW HIM TO FEED YOU MORE OF JODIS LIES, TO GET YOU TWO TURN ON HIM AND SAY SOMETHING BAD ABOUT HIM.PLEASE TURN THEM AWAY, DON’T GIVE THEM THE CHANCE TO FEED YOU THE LIES. YOU’RE NOT OBLIGATED TO TALK TO THEM IN LESS YOU ARE ORDERED BY THE COURTS. WE ALL KNOW TRAVIS WAS A GREAT GUY. JODI IS TRYING A NEW ANGLE BECAUSE THE OTHER THREE STORIES ARE NOT WORKING OUT. PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD TO THOSE WHO KNEW TRAVIS."

Changed her story again... Can't say, "third time's a charm". But at least she's finally admitting to it...

Posted by Travis' sister Hillary on the, "In Memory of" Facebook page for Travis.

"JODI HAS CHANGED HER STORY AGAIN AND IS NOW SAYING SHE KILLED MY BROTHER IN SELF DEFENSE.THE DEFENSE TEAM IS OUT TO BASH TRAVIS & HAS BEEN DROPPING IN ON PEOPLE WHO KNEW HIM TO FEED YOU MORE OF JODIS LIES, TO GET YOU TWO TURN ON HIM AND SAY SOMETHING BAD ABOUT HIM.PLEASE TURN THEM AWAY, DON’T GIVE THEM THE CHANCE TO FEED YOU THE LIES. YOU’RE NOT OBLIGATED TO TALK TO THEM IN LESS YOU ARE ORDERED BY THE COURTS. WE ALL KNOW TRAVIS WAS A GREAT GUY. JODI IS TRYING A NEW ANGLE BECAUSE THE OTHER THREE STORIES ARE NOT WORKING OUT. PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD TO THOSE WHO KNEW TRAVIS."

Changed her story again... Can't say, "third time's a charm". But at least she's finally admitting to it...

Thanks for this SheStartedIt. I'm not surprised that she changed her story, though I think it's going to be hard for her defense to prove that it was self defense, I seem to recall she stabbed him 27 times, and then tossing the sheets into the wash, and of course there is still the fact that she didn't LE after it happened, and then called him home a few times AFTER the fact to make it look like she was never there.

Hi, SheStartedIt, thanks for sharing this. Travis' sister's advice is right on and Nobodyzgirl's counsel (as usual) is equally on the mark.

I think that several of us saw this coming. Like other defendant's, Jodi's alibis develop situationally. As new evidence closes, she runs frantically to construct new narratives. In the last televised interview, she laid the groundwork by suggesting circuitously that Travis could be menacing. It's clearly a last ditch alibi: The two masked assassins were too ludicrous to survive and the extent of Travis' injuries might suggest some kind of struggle, although apparently it was mostly one-sided. Jodi's lawyers will attempt to use Travis' size and physical dynamism to suggest that he was secretly abusive. Perhaps her defense will try to somehow knot the assault to some sort of sexual demand. In any case, I would wager two things: [1] Jodi will testify (she has a lot of things to explain away) and [2] This shoddy attempt will completely fail.

Jodi's self-certainty will be her downfall. With the physical evidence, her inaction, and her repeated revisions, she is adding years and years to her sentence. And death is still on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn