Trial Discussion Thread #44 - 14.07.1-2, Day 34-35

Status
Not open for further replies.
N: Mr Lin, in our daily lives, we hear a scream and say 'That's a woman', wldn't you say?

L: If you have visual confirmation....

N: On this particular night, there was nothing normal - deceased screamed for her life - if someone screams in absolute fear, wldn't you put sound nearer to 120?

And Lin politely explains that's the equivalent of a jet taking off.

This is why (imo) Nel should avoid all technical challenges!

LOL Nel obviously doesnt understand the technical aspects of sound/acoustics (neither do I, for that matter)

Lin agrees with Nel that a scream from the bathroom at 32DBA might just have been audible to others on estate.

N: Let us not go to quantification....

Very wise Mr Nel!

Nel's treading carefully with Lin but he's being very friendly and polite.

N: You're the expert; trying to make my way thru this. Tell me what word I should use.

And Mr Lin gives a detailed explanation that I don't really understand....

Nel just said he has an expert, Dr Kruger sitting next to him? Think that might be a sound expert too?

N: If we had the sound of a firearm that was fired in the bathroom, where would you put the db level, 160?
L: Doesn't know. Can't answer with absolute certainty.

This is dangerous territory for Nel because he is asking questions to which he has no clue what the answer will be

Nel's not making a lot of sense with his questions now, and Lin is answering with statements that don't leave any opp for further questions....

This isn't going well.

N: If a woman screams, in her voice there will be certain pitch, tone and character?

L: It's a common perception....tonal character, yes, I agree.

N: Tonal character will be more noticeable?

L: Yes, because it is the nature of the (something) spectrum.

This is dangerous territory for Nel because he is asking questions to which he has no clue what the answer will be

Would he not have run the questions past the state's own sound expert? I understand he would have to think on his feet with unanticipated responses.

Andrew Harding:
Nel looking to show the difference between man's and woman's scream. Key part of this case.

N: If a woman screams, in her voice there will be certain pitch, tone and character?

L: It's a common perception....tonal character, yes, I agree.

His words were "every sound has a tonal character" so he didn't agree with Nel who was trying to lead him to agree that only a woman's would have a "tonal character"

Oh dear. Now Nel has quoted from a resource to prove a point and Lin has kindly pointed out it 'wasn't written for that purpose'.

N: I'm sure you know where I'm going so it should be easy to get there....

????

I am not sure why Nel is pursuing this cross. It's not helping the state's case and I don't think Lin's testimony helped defence much yesterday because it was difficult to get to the point he was making anyway.

Oh dear, Nel trying to compare a "repetitive" noise polution noise, ie. traffic, with a person's "repeated" screaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumner