Trial Thread 4/25/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did it go something like this: Hal" Are you guilty " MR: I'm guilty but I want you to get me off so make up some some story Hal: I can't take this case... we all remember the lawyer that walked away from the Anthony case because of his morals...it happens...

Yeah, no scrupulous lawyer would take the case and plead his client not guilty when the client admits he's guilty. However, if the client doesn't admit it and can convince the lawyer he's not guilty, the lawyer might represent him, even though he has suspicions. If Rafferty couldn't get his first lawyer to cooperate, he may have learned enough from the experience to know how to approach the second one.

I think it will go something like this....

I sincerely hope that the Crown follows your example and points out these absurdities in their closing statement, one ridiculous absurdity after another, after another... we all have a built-in a bull **** limit, and I've long since reached mine.

I expect we'll find out once the jury is sequestered where the honourable lawyer for the accused has really earned his money, because it can't be from the ridiculous 'innocent bystander' theory. I think he earned his coin, courtesy of you and I, by getting significant evidence excluded. The reporter from lfp hinted that there would significant info to report.

Illegal Photos Taken Inside Rafferty Courtroom

Tensions were rising after Wednesday’s court proceedings at the Michael Rafferty murder trial.

During an afternoon recess two men were caught by court security taking pictures inside the courtroom – an illegal activity within the courthouse that's punishable by law.

Once court resumed and the jury present, Superior Court Justice Thomas Heeney asked that the two accused stand before the court and identify themselves.

The two stood up and stated their names.

http://1047.ca/local-news/4073

Tori Stafford’s family expressed emotions shortly afterward and said they were concerned of the photos being taken and that behavior could pose a threat for a mistrial.

The family has waited a little more than 3 years for this trial that is expected to wrap up in mid May.

They hug. Sit down and talk.

He shows off his pants to McClintic.

The two if them laugh together. There is no audio.

They hold hands.

RaffertyLFP: Rafferty and McClintic have animated discussion appear to touch hands over table He seems to stroke her face Big hug to finish

Does this look like somebody who was witness to her killing a little girl, was horrified what had happened and then helped clean up the crime scene? If Derstine's theory were true, Rafferty would have broken off all contact with her, wouldn't he?

Boy, I bet they wished they had recordings of all phone calls. Doesn't pay to be cheap.

To be fair, we do have the benefit of hindsight. They were probably chasing many leads right up until she confessed, and they arrested him hours later.

There was a story about police officers' working conditions in the Citizen - saying they work, on average, 50-hour weeks at the best of times. I'll bet during an investigation like this, many of them would be working 12-18 hour days.

Tori Stafford’s family expressed emotions shortly afterward and said they were concerned of the photos being taken and that behavior could pose a threat for a mistrial.

The family has waited a little more than 3 years for this trial that is expected to wrap up in mid May.

this is a rather long read but it does explain how the crown has to prove without reasonable doubt if a person is guilty or not...the read may be sleep inducing but I found it to be worth that chance... some may be interested...if not feel free to skip on by JMO..this is Canadian Law and may differ somewhat from American Law... just saying... I found the word "intent" having a great bearing on a persons guilt... interesting...
http://www.lethbridgelawyers.com/general_information_on_criminal_law.htm

I sincerely hope that the Crown follows your example and points out these absurdities in their closing statement, one ridiculous absurdity after another, after another... we all have a built-in a bull **** limit, and I've long since reached mine.

I expect we'll find out once the jury is sequestered where the honourable lawyer for the accused has really earned his money, because it can't be from the ridiculous 'innocent bystander' theory. I think he earned his coin, courtesy of you and I, by getting significant evidence excluded. The reporter from lfp hinted that there would significant info to report.

I think you are so right, that's exactly what Derstine did for Rafferty, he got some very telling things excluded from evidence IMO. You could almost guess what it was just by the timing of the breaks to discuss legal issues. And we'll know soon enough.

Did it go something like this: Hal" Are you guilty " MR: I'm guilty but I want you to get me off so make up some some story Hal: I can't take this case... we all remember the lawyer that walked away from the Anthony case because of his morals...it happens...

I think if this lawyer declined to take the case to trial because of morals, he wouldn't be up for charges on his conduct as a lawyer - JMO

What is this business of a data call from 5:03pm TO 7ish on April 8... What was he doing on the internet? Could he of been looking at *advertiser censored*?

Why can't the police look up what the texts say, what the BB,'s say, what the data calls were? Sites he visted on his phone? Why just the times and sender / receiver? I work in wireless telecommunications, and I don't see why this can not be identified...

Sorry I am a little bee hind!! Only on page 7!

Respectfully, I don't know which wireless company you work for or if it is in Canada, but I worked for two of the major cell co. here in Ontario, and to my knowledge, not one wireless carrier in Canada keeps a record of text messages, it would be a violation of privacy. We do keep records as to how many text messages were sent for billing purposes, and the times sent and the phone number it was sent to. As far as his surfing data and what not, his telephone was wiped before it got to RIM, so the police were not able to get any data off of it.

Not relating to your post LoyalSleuth:

This put put all the times into perspective for me, it was hard to understand the tweets a bit :)

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20120425/rafferty-trial-resumes-after-legal-arguments-120425/

Clintic has testified that when they were leaving Woodstock that day, Rafferty took the battery out of his phone and put it back in once they arrived in Guelph, where he bought the Percocets. Rafferty's phone had been accessing the Internet, likely in the background of other phone activity, since the night before and the connection ends at 3:42 p.m., records show. An unanswered call several minutes later goes to his voicemail.

There was some activity on Rafferty's phone between 4:18 and 5:03 p.m., and those signals bounce off of towers in the Guelph, Ont., area. The trial has seen evidence that Rafferty withdrew $80 from an ATM at a gas station next to a Home Depot in Guelph at 5:03 p.m., then McClintic entered the Home Depot minutes later and purchased a hammer and garbage bags using cash.

The next gap in Rafferty's phone use came between 5:05 and 7:46 p.m. According to McClintic's testimony, Tori was raped and killed around that time, as it was beginning to get dark.

At 7:46 p.m. four instant messages that Spitzig sent between 6:35 and 7:11 p.m. were delivered at once to Rafferty's BlackBerry. His voicemail was called one minute later, records show, and the call bounced off a tower near where Tori's remains would be found more than three months later near Mount Forest, Ont.

If this has already been posted, sorry!

interesting ..thanks for putting that up...one would never think by looking at TLM in that video that she is such an evil devil who murdered a little girl only a month before and in such a horrific way.....just goes to show that looks mean nothing in deciding a persons guilt..JMO
Agreed but he still looked a bit hesitant to give her a hug. At one point while they were holding hands its not like someone holding hands who were in love it kind of looked like they were arm wrestling. I wonder if the worker was the one that said "way to go Terri" because at the end it looked liked TLM and the worker were joking around and then she calls her over to the window. When MR left it looked like he was on his cell phone imagine. This of course is all my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member