Tricia's True Crime radio ! Aug. 12, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is, he didn't put websleuths into a report. He just thanked it for support.

He said he ' GETS IDEAS' from the posts. How is that any different from what was said in that other report?

He said he ' GETS IDEAS' from the posts. How is that any different from what was said in that other report?

Getting ideas to conduct further investigation is very different from publishing forum posts to bolster one's research findings.

The difference is that Dr. Melinek is an expert who was hired to provide a robust, scientifically sourced second opinion. Dr. Melinek isn't hired to "get ideas". That is a very big difference, imo. For more explanation, please see my post in the "experts" thread titled "Improper inferential leaps" from today. Dr. Melinek's entire testimony was recently dismissed in the Burford case due to poorly substantiated opinions. The judge gave her what can only be described as a "tongue lashing" in his written decision.

So, relying on, or even considering, non-professional, anonymous, internet forum discussions in any way as a basis for an expert opinion that accuses "someone" of assault and murder is probably not a "good plan".

I still am incredulous that Dr. Melinek put those "references" in writing as primary sources of information about the case she reviewed. She actually based her expert opinion, in part (and only she knows the %) on blog posts.

Basically, that is the same thing as saying she based her expert opinion on something she heard in line at a coffee shop.

How is that any different than what Anne Bremner and her team has done? It seems they've based their accusations that the Shacknais and/or Romanos killed Rebecca Zahau from rumors that started on internet comments sections. It seems like every reason that they have "proving" that Rebecca was murdered is a rumor that started and grew.

I also think Anne could have easily cleared up many of the rumors (esp. those concerning the other Shacknai children) last summer. In my little ole opinion, I find it unethical that she didn't do so.

Correct me of I am wrong, but I believe LE cautioned RZ's family about releasing things piecemeal, out of context...saying that in that case, they would release the entirety of the file.

That sounds like a "bring it on!" statement and coupled with JS cease and desist letter...sounds like another warning against deceiving the public.

The family could release everything themselves. I wonder why they do not? Have they given a reason?

Correct me of I am wrong, but I believe LE cautioned RZ's family about releasing things piecemeal, out of context...saying that in that case, they would release the entirety of the file.

That sounds like a "bring it on!" statement and coupled with JS cease and desist letter...sounds like another warning against deceiving the public.

The family could release everything themselves. I wonder why they do not? Have they given a reason?

Information was being released for a singular purpose and that was to get traction, if possible, with LE, which did not happen. Subsequently, the effort was conducted to get traction with the Attorney General, which appears to be in process, so no reason to release information. This is not a smear campaign, it is a request to reassess the case.

That is hilarious, considering the attacks and criticism aimed at the authors of the new report, because they included some internet sites in their bibliography. Several people here said that should nullify their entire report.

Does that same criticism extend to Mr. Rodoy?

Attorney's, in particular, should review WS or other blogs* (*or community type information share sites) for information as not all information is restricted to what was collected by LE. How attorney's or expert witnesses leverage this information is the question.

How is that any different than what Anne Bremner and her team has done? It seems they've based their accusations that the Shacknais and/or Romanos killed Rebecca Zahau from rumors that started on internet comments sections. It seems like every reason that they have "proving" that Rebecca was murdered is a rumor that started and grew.

Hmmm ... I have never heard the Zahau's or their attorney say any specific person is guilty.

BBM - what is you basis for this statement? :waitasec:

Hmmm ... I have never heard the Zahau's or their attorney say any specific person is guilty.

BBM - what is you basis for this statement? :waitasec:

Really? Ok, they may not have come out and said, "So and so is guilty of murdering Rebecca", but they've insinuated from the first day that Adam or Dina or Nina had something to do with it and have had no problem at all implying that on national television.

JS threatens a lawsuit for "false public statements." I believe LE also made a "veiled threat" to release its entire file, if RZ"s family mislead the public about its contents. So they may not be naming names but there is a suggestion that the public is being "mislead."

Date: September 6, 2011 6:43:13 AM PDT
To: "abremner@XXXXXXXXXXXX.com
Subject: Jonah Shacknai

Dear Ms. Bremner,

I am an attorney for Jonah Shacknai, retained by him to address false public statements you have made, which have the effect of severely damaging Mr. Shacknai's personal and business reputations. Over the past several days, you have made a series of inaccurate and utterly unsupported statements about the facts surrounding the tragic deaths of Max Shacknai and Rebecca Zahau. However, what is most concerning are recent false public statements you have made that Mr. Shacknai, because of his business success, has somehow improperly influenced the investigations and conclusions of four different, and, independent California law enforcement agencies. You have further made public comments that these agencies have applied a different standard in conducting their investigations because of Mr. Shacknai's wealth. You have absolutely no facts to support these false and irresponsible statements, and you are fully aware that such facts do not exist. Please know that your false public statements constitute defamation, per se, and under law, entitle Mr. Shacknai to recover from you, and your law firm, substantial damages.

Moreover, your statements and actions are highly insensitive on a human level. Mr. Shacknai and his family have suffered two tragic losses under the harsh and unkind glare of a national media frenzy you have now helped sustain. It is ironic that Mr. Shacknai went through the entire law enforcement investigation, at all times cooperating completely with several police authorities, and never once considered retaining an attorney. It is only now, after authorities have announced the conclusions of their comprehensive investigations, that Mr. Shacknai finds it necessary to consult with me because of the false and irresponsible public statements you are making, harming his personal and business reputations.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/15406681/shacknai-sends-cease-and-desist-letter-to-zahau-family-attorney

That attorney letter sounds like intimidation to me. If I had Jonah's money, you can damn well bet I would have had my own experts looking at all those findings not just trusting the investigation and waiting for the findings top come out. Of course, we know Jonah and Adam immediately represented Rebecca's death as "she hung herself", how insightful of them to know given it was suspicious just on face value.

If JS and RZ were so very happy and about to be engaged...and therefore RZ had no motive to kill herself...why do you think JS isn"t in the forefront of the push to reopen her case?

I agree with you there, stmarysmead. And, IMO, Adam and Jonah were the last people to see Rebecca alive. They know her state of mind and how quiet she was being, so IMO, their first thought was "she hung herself", not, "OMG, someone killed her". They KNEW how quiet and odd she was being the day before, and that she did not call back the detective (as I believe). I doubt "murder" entered their minds because of what they knew about the last 44 hours and how Rebecca was acting, IMO.

I agree with you there, stmarysmead. And, IMO, Adam and Jonah were the last people to see Rebecca alive. They know her state of mind and how quiet she was being, so IMO, their first thought was "she hung herself", not, "OMG, someone killed her". They KNEW how quiet and odd she was being the day before, and that she did not call back the detective (as I believe). I doubt "murder" entered their minds because of what they knew about the last 44 hours and how Rebecca was acting, IMO.

Where did you read that Rebecca was being "quiet and odd"? Who said that?

JS threatens a lawsuit for "false public statements." I believe LE also made a "veiled threat" to release its entire file, if RZ"s family mislead the public about its contents. So they may not be naming names but there is a suggestion that the public is being "mislead."http://www.cbs8.com/story/15406681/shacknai-sends-cease-and-desist-letter-to-zahau-family-attorney

This is the second or third time this has been said. Could you please expend the effort and find a reference and post what that says. I don't believe the Zahau family feared somethign being released about Rebecca, but I could be wrong... show us.

Thank you CG!

Taken from the article above:

First Amendment attorney, Guylyn Cummins of San Diego, is not affiliated with the Coronado death investigation

Cummins, the local First Amendment attorney, called the language in the letter "heavy handed."

"Law enforcement has had the public opportunity to explain their investigation and their conclusions; and now that they've turned over the entire file to the family, they now want to control what the family's message is," Cummins said. "It's not only a chilling effect on their speech, but it's almost a governmental effort to control the information that is released to the public."

"What the letter's trying to say is, if you release something and we don't like your viewpoint -- or the information that you rely on -- then we're putting you on notice that we may come back and release anything that we want; whether it's part of the lawful investigation or simply digging up dirt on the victim," said Cummins.

It seems to me that the Z family felt that they had no choice but not to release anything.

JMO

It seems to me that the Z family felt that they had no choice but not to release anything.

JMO

Snipped by me.

Right. Because they don't want you to know certain things about Rebecca, IMO, that show she was not a stable and/or honest person.

Snipped by me.

Right. Because they don't want you to know certain things about Rebecca, IMO, that show she was not a stable and/or honest person.

"What the letter's trying to say is, if you release something and we don't like your viewpoint -- or the information that you rely on -- then we're putting you on notice that we may come back and release anything that we want; whether it's part of the lawful investigation or simply digging up dirt on the victim," said Cummins.

BBM--sorry, but I have to disagree with you. There are plenty of negative opinions about RZ out there, much of it stated as fact. A threat is a threat and one coming directly from LE is pretty daunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6