Tropical Storm Issac aims toward U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey RO :wave:

Looks like it's time to batton down the hatches again! *sigh*

Lisalei, yeah, I'm trying to decide if I need to go buy plywood. I think we're okay but I am going on a battery and water run just in case of a eastward turn. Time to check the chainsaws and generator and fill up the extra gas containers. I really hate hurricane season :maddening:

Are you doing anything extra?? My prayers are that all of FL will be spared again this season.

at201209_model.gif

I vote for the white one.

If it goes west and into the Gulf of Mexico, won't that strengthen the hurricane?

If it goes west and into the Gulf of Mexico, won't that strengthen the hurricane?

Well, the white path would take the storm over Cuba while it's still a weaker storm and hopefully all that land will take the bit out of it and it will fizzle. It looks like it would hit Cuba as just a tropical storm so my guess is that's the best scenario for the least damage to anyone.

Lisalei, yeah, I'm trying to decide if I need to go buy plywood. I think we're okay but I am going on a battery and water run just in case of a eastward turn. Time to check the chainsaws and generator and fill up the extra gas containers. I really hate hurricane season :maddening:

Are you doing anything extra?? My prayers are that all of FL will be spared again this season.

We've filled the chest freezer and house freezer with ice & frozen water bottles packed around the food, got the camper plugged in & on standby, the camper generator runs on propane, and we have 7 tanks filled, and we found out during the last round, that propane is easier to get than gasoline. So I "think" we're ready!

If it hits east or west coast, I'm gonna get it either way :(

I'm praying for it not to hit us at all!

Well now they are only saying it will be a CAT 1...seriously that isn't bad. As long as everyone around you put BBQ grills, bikes, trim dead limbs from tree's all will be fine.

If Issac moves into the Gulf of Mexico the warm waters from the gulf are going to help strengthen it. I know we haven't had the "big one" yet. I am waiting until we get a repeat of the storm of 1900 that hit Galveston. Seems like with it being over 112 years we are due for another "big one" if you ask me.
My grandparents lived thru hurricane Carla that hit in the 1960's and that one really messed up things since they lived just 40 miles from the gulf. I stayed for Hurricane Alicia that hit in the mid 1980's and it was pretty bad but nothing like what the storm of 1900 was. Every year I tell my husband that this could be the big one forming out in the gulf. Considering how hot it has been this year and the overall unusual weather we have been having over the last few years with the drought and everything I just think something is going to hit us again pretty soon.

If Issac moves into the Gulf of Mexico the warm waters from the gulf are going to help strengthen it. I know we haven't had the "big one" yet. I am waiting until we get a repeat of the storm of 1900 that hit Galveston. Seems like with it being over 112 years we are due for another "big one" if you ask me.
My grandparents lived thru hurricane Carla that hit in the 1960's and that one really messed up things since they lived just 40 miles from the gulf. I stayed for Hurricane Alicia that hit in the mid 1980's and it was pretty bad but nothing like what the storm of 1900 was. Every year I tell my husband that this could be the big one forming out in the gulf. Considering how hot it has been this year and the overall unusual weather we have been having over the last few years with the drought and everything I just think something is going to hit us again pretty soon.

I only live about 20, to 30 minutes from Galveston beach depending on traffic...

and they just built pleasure pier there to...where the old flagship hotel was...

eta, we now have tropical storm Joyce

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/

I only live about 20, to 30 minutes from Galveston beach depending on traffic...

and they just built pleasure pier there to...where the old flagship hotel was...

eta, we now have tropical storm Joyce

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/

I haven't been to the pleasure pier there yet but I sure do remember the Flagship Hotel. My husband and I went there during Mardi Gras one year and stayed at the Flagship. Talk about a dump. I remember the patio door flew into our room in the middle of the night and my husband spent half the night trying to hold it up until someone with the hotel could get us into another room. I think we are still going to have an active hurricane season this year.

Well now they are only saying it will be a CAT 1...seriously that isn't bad. As long as everyone around you put BBQ grills, bikes, trim dead limbs from tree's all will be fine.
BBM
Tell that to the folks who have been in a Cat 1, Hurricane Dolly wreaked havoc on south Texas, I wish I still had video(during) and photos of the devastation.

53a5wj.jpg

I was able to find pics, I have video of my son blowing in the wind outside of the La Quinta we stayed at for shelter. I have a lot of pictures with the Army afterwards, I volunteered with clean-up etc.

We've filled the chest freezer and house freezer with ice & frozen water bottles packed around the food, got the camper plugged in & on standby, the camper generator runs on propane, and we have 7 tanks filled, and we found out during the last round, that propane is easier to get than gasoline. So I "think" we're ready!

If it hits east or west coast, I'm gonna get it either way :(

I'm praying for it not to hit us at all!

:( Praying too!

A Cat 1 is still horrendous. We've had major damage from mere tropical storms.

These are my backyard after a tropical storm...far less wind than what a Cat 1 can pack:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And hurricane Ike was what exactly? Chopped liver?
It had a very similar course as 1900 Galveston Hurricane.

I'm still praying for a west turn over Cuba. I think the US best hope is that it somehow fizzles over all that land. If not, anything can happen once it hits the Gulf. I know every one who's lived for any time in FL knows how unpredicatable these storms can be. A couple years ago we boarded up on the east coast...can't remember the storm name. It was coming directly at us. We all thought we were doomed and then just before it hit FL it took a 90 degree turn and hit further up...I think NC?? But never, ever underestimate one of these storms IMO. Good luck all. Praying for the best course to keep everyone safe.

And hurricane Ike was what exactly? Chopped liver?
It had a very similar course as 1900 Galveston Hurricane.

Ike didn't do much of anything to our property when it hit. I think we just got really lucky. Ike wasn't nearly as big of a hurricane as the storm of 1900 that hit Galveston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther