Tropical Storm Issac aims toward U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ike didn't do much of anything to our property when it hit. I think we just got really lucky. Ike wasn't nearly as big of a hurricane as the storm of 1900 that hit Galveston.

Ike took our backyard fence, few shingles off of our home, but our neighbors lost their roof, and another neighbor had a huge oak tree get slammed right through the roof, into their kitchen, stood right up in the middle of their roof.

Ike took our backyard fence, few shingles off of our home, but our neighbors lost their roof, and another neighbor had a huge oak tree get slammed right through the roof, into their kitchen, stood right up in the middle of their roof.

It cost billions of dollars in property damage in the United States alone.

Henry Margusity ‏@Accu_Henry
Weak storms like Isaac are always a pain to forecast because some many things can influence the path.

ok so I'm watching the Navy fleet weather center. Their predictions are for Isaac's center to be in the gulf offshore from Tampa on tuesday.

Reading their Navy gibberish they are predicting Isaac to have sustained winds of 70 kts or 81MPH near the center on Tuesday. Winds will decrease moving further from the center, depending on your location and not counting landfall.

Navy has a cone, grid and tracking map at the link, map legend is in the upper right.

Had to use tinyurl

http://tinyurl.com/9shwsbc

Looks to me like the Fla. Keys are in the path.

We were really lucky then because we live near a school so the power company came to get the schools lights back on first in our neighborhood so we had lights the next day after Ike hit at 1 p.m. We had friends come over to our place to sit in the a/c and get ice.

ok so I'm watching the Navy fleet weather center. Their predictions are for Isaac's center to be in the gulf offshore from Tampa on tuesday.

Reading their Navy gibberish they are predicting Isaac to have sustained winds of 70 kts or 81MPH near the center on Tuesday. Winds will decrease moving further from the center, depending on your location and not counting landfall.

Navy has a cone, grid and tracking map at the link, map legend is in the upper right.

Had to use tinyurl

http://tinyurl.com/9shwsbc

Looks to me like the Fla. Keys are in the path.

Looks to be close to Tampa in that forecast.

Now all of FL is in the cone.

at201209_5day.gif

http://icons-ak.wunderground.com/data/images/at201209_5day.gif

574602_10151011870231409_1257511974_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/574602_10151011870231409_1257511974_n.jpg

:)

NNOOO! I am in Louisiana! Our Bessie is too. I vote the dang thing peters out!

I think the white one is the one that WILL peter out...at least has the best chance of it. I'm not wishing a storm on anyone!!!

I think the white one is the one that WILL peter out...at least has the best chance of it. I'm not wishing a storm on anyone!!!

I think it's the opposite. The longer it stays over open water the stronger it gets. If it goes over land that's what kills it.

Updated Navy Fleet weather tracking moved west a bit. On Tuesday it's in the gulf parallel to Tampa. Winds predicted a bit stronger at 75 knts or 86.3MPH near the center.

http://tinyurl.com/8qzmgey

It's looking like landfall maybe Pensacola area if things keep going this way.

Updated Navy Fleet weather tracking moved west a bit. On Tuesday it's in the gulf parallel to Tampa. Winds predicted a bit stronger at 75 knts or 86.3MPH near the center.

http://tinyurl.com/8qzmgey

It's looking like landfall maybe Pensacola area if things keep going this way.

I have family and friends in Pensacola and Tampa, so we're hoping that this doesn't strengthen too much. Gotta have hope, right?

The upper part of that cone almost includes Atlanta. The last time a hurricane came through Pensacola, we got the remainder up here, power out for three days. But that's nothing compared to what happened down on the gulf.

Cat 1 hitting fl, will not be near as bad as other states...The main threat would be the possible tornado's that spawn. Houses are built to hurricane code in Fl. There are still some very old homes. Texas has big tree's and the building code isn't as stringent as in Fl. Florida use to put up houses within a few days.

I lived in the Azores where in the winter time 70 to 120 mph winds were normal! Houses are built strong, and there are no tree's around homes. People do not keep bbq grills, bikes, lawn furniture or anything outside. Not to mention a lot of homes have the hurricane shutter's which are a God Send. Like I stated, if people took down dead branches, weak limbs, put stuff away, board up window's most of any damage will be minimal unless you're the unlucky one to where a tornado spawns over your house.

I grew up in Florida and lived also through many hurricanes too.

So I'm grateful that it looks like Isaac won't go to Tampa, since my son is there, and he's only 22 and stubborn and wouldn't want to evacuate (and his first day of his last semester at USF is Monday).

On the other hand, I just started a by-Christmas-I'm-gonna-fit-in-that-dress diet, and this hurricane is making me want chocolate!

Tomorrow I'm filling the car with gas, checking the generator and making a grocery/water run. Checking on older friends and neighbors over the weekend.

Everybody be safe.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/prepare/ready.php

If it goes west and into the Gulf of Mexico, won't that strengthen the hurricane?

I have noticed since the BP oil spill that hurricanes either die out, weaken, or go around, when trying to work their way through the Gulf. This is just a observation I have noticed. Hopefully this trend will continue. I think the thickness of the water makes it hard for the storm to circulate. It will be interesting to see if this is still the case.

Cat 1 hitting fl, will not be near as bad as other states...The main threat would be the possible tornado's that spawn. Houses are built to hurricane code in Fl. There are still some very old homes. Texas has big tree's and the building code isn't as stringent as in Fl. Florida use to put up houses within a few days.

I lived in the Azores where in the winter time 70 to 120 mph winds were normal! Houses are built strong, and there are no tree's around homes. People do not keep bbq grills, bikes, lawn furniture or anything outside. Not to mention a lot of homes have the hurricane shutter's which are a God Send. Like I stated, if people took down dead branches, weak limbs, put stuff away, board up window's most of any damage will be minimal unless you're the unlucky one to where a tornado spawns over your house.

I grew up in Florida and lived also through many hurricanes too.

I remember they were known as the hurricane homes as a selling point in Fl. Everybody bought into that until Andrew hit. Then a lot of builders got caught cutting corners. The houses built in the 50's and 60's stood strong while some of the houses built in the 70's and 80's turned into rubble. I know the building codes were strongly enforced after Andrew. Unfortunately we will need another strong storm to see how well they will hold up. Even though I live in Georgia for some reason I'm holding on to my hurricane shutters. They got me through a lot of storms.

I am super nervous. My older girls are all terrified, they of course remember Katrina well. I am praying that this stays away from South MS. It would be devastating to Jackson, Harrison and Hancock Countys which are just getting their insurance costs down a bit and are seeing some new growth in recent months. Praying hard. I want this thing to turn around and head back out into the Atlantic and dissiapate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven