TX - Abigail “Abby” Young, Up for Parole on a Yearly Basis

I am willing to believe that was part of the influence peddling surrounding her part in this beyond heinous crime.

I commend those who brought Coe to justice, but Abby's role was worse. imvho.

Hi! I'm a new member here.

I wrote a comment and accidentally poofed it. Then I wrote a second comment and clicked preview. The page froze. So I lost that comment.

Later today I will try a third comment.

I have followed the Emma Thompson case as it unfolded and I know Emma's maternal family well.

I will never, ever forget Emma. She has a very special place in my heart forever!

I hope to share some info about the possibility of "Emma's Law."

Need to go for now. Will be back later today.

Emma . . . gone . . . but not forgotten!

Welcome! My heart goes out to everyone who truly loved Emma and didnt feel she was disposable.

All of us need to warm up for the next letter writing campaign to the Texas Board of Pardons and Parole...

I am hoping we can dissect this case and the primary caregiver role here. I think we see it time and time again that the person primarily responsible for keeping the child safe receives much lighter punishment than the perp. I think we see at least two issues here-the prior TX law which makes Abby eligible for parole every year so that the victim's family is caught in an infinite loop, reliving this crime year after year...and imo, the ridiculously light charges and sentence Abby received for delivering her daughter to a monster and actively deceiving those who could have saved Emma from her murderer.

This is so sad for the family, having to relive this every year. I can't believe she was first eligible after 2 years. That amazes me in a bad way!
Hi, Moxie Vi!

I agree with you. It is very sad for the family and also a couple of non-family members (very close to the case and testified for the Prosecution [for Emma] during Abigail Young's trial and Lucas Coe's trial) who were invited to meet with the Texas Board of Pardons & Parole re Young's parole review.

Actually Abigail Young became eligible for parole review in February, 2012 which is 19 months after being sentenced to 20 years in prison in July, 2010.

Considering the crime, serving 19 months and becoming eligible for parole review is outrageous! Just my opinion!

At the time of her sentencing, the Houston and surrounding area media reported that Young would have to serve 5 years before she would become eligible for parole review.

Due to good behavior and work credits, she became eligible for parole review after serving only 19 months versus 5 years.

In Texas, the parole review process by the Texas Board of Pardons & Parole (TBPP) is a long one. A decision to not grant parole was rendered by TBPP the latter part of August, 2012.

All of us need to warm up for the next letter writing campaign to the Texas Board of Pardons and Parole...

I am hoping we can dissect this case and the primary caregiver role here. I think we see it time and time again that the person primarily responsible for keeping the child safe receives much lighter punishment than the perp. I think we see at least two issues here-the prior TX law which makes Abby eligible for parole every year so that the victim's family is caught in an infinite loop, reliving this crime year after year...and imo, the ridiculously light charges and sentence Abby received for delivering her daughter to a monster and actively deceiving those who could have saved Emma from her murderer.
Hi, Believe09!

Thank you for the warm welcome (in your earlier comment).

Yes, I think we all need to be thinking about the next letter writing campaign to hopefully ensure Abigail Young is denied parole when she is up for parole review this year (2013) again! On a local level, I am "getting my ducks in a row" and I will spear head a letter writing campaign locally as well as a few places on the Internet.

Without a doubt, the letter writing campaign by Websleuth members, Hinky Meter members, Reality Chatter members and the guests to each of the aforementioned forums as well as the Facebook page, Justice for Emma Thompson, that Websleuth member, LCoastMom, set up and monitored closely was a huge success.

Also, Emma's maternal aunt, Amanda Young Mathews, has a Facebook page, Emma ForJustice, which garnered many letters. In the greater Houston and Brenham/Washington County, TX (Abigail Young's home town/county) areas, there was a huge letter writing campaign against parole for Young.

Abigail Young's now former childhood best friend who now resides in Oklahoma, spear headed a letter writing campaign to oppose Young's parole in Oklahoma and beyond.

As you may or may not know, Abigail Young's paternal grandparents and some paternal family members reside in Oklahoma.

Folks in the Brenham and Houston areas are geared up and ready to start the letter writing process against Young's parole once again.

Folks world wide wrote the Texas Department of Pardons & Paroles (TDPP) on behalf of Emma requesting that parole be denied for Abigail Young.

The letter writing campaign was a huge success. I hope all of the folks who supported justice for Emma by writing a letter opposing parole for her mother, Abigail Young, will write a letter again when Young is eligible for parole review in 2013.

It is possible that Young will be up for parole review as early as the latter part of this month, February, 2013. Last year she became eligible for parole review in Feb, 2012.

However, the decision by the TDPP regarding Young's parole would not be rendered until the latter part of August, 2013.

One thing is for certain: Precious Emma Thompson has great support here at Websleuths! Without a doubt, the WS members will do the best to ensure Abigail Young is not released on parole!

Emma captured the hearts of many. Strangers world wide came to "love" the precious barely 4-year-old red haired child who was brutally raped and beaten to death by her mother's boyfriend, Lucas Coe!

It is unfortunate that Young was found guilty of the lesser charge of reckless and serious bodily injury to a child by omission. Had Young been found guilty of the more serious charge of injury to a child by omission, she could have been sentenced to prison for life.

However, the jury recommended that Young be sentenced to the maximum allowed by law for the lesser charge which is 20 years and a $10,000 fine.

Judge Shaver (presiding judge at Young's trial) sentenced Young to 20 years and a $10,000 fine.
_______

http://www.khou.com/news/Spring-mom-gets-20-years-for-failing-to-protect-her-daughter-98368119.html
KHOU Houston, Tx 7/13/10

Abigail Young gets 20 year-sentence for failing to protect her daughter

Snipped:

Jurors Monday convicted Young of a lesser charge of reckless and serious bodily injury to a child by omission. They rejected a more serious charge of injury to a child by omission, which could have sent her to prison for life.

Keep us posted on when we should start sending the letters and the deadlines. :hug:

believe09, I will be glad to let everyone know when Young becomes eligible for parole in 2013.

On Monday, 2-11-13, HB 431 was read for the first time and referred to the Corrections Committee.

You may recall HB 431 was filed by Texas State Representative Debbie Riddle on 1-10-13.

http://www.journals.house.state.tx.us/hjrnl/83r/pdf/83RDAY14FINAL.PDF#page=17
State of Texas - House Journal - Page 307 -- 83rd Legislature, Regular Session

HB 431 (By Riddle), Relating to the eligibility of certain inmates convicted of injury to a child for release to mandatory supervision.
To Corrections.

The following status info is from my TLO (Texas Legislature Online) account. I can not Link because it is password protected.

Status of State of Texas - HB 431:

<TABLE width="98%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="19%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 bgColor=yellow border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Bill: </TD><TD>HB 431 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD>Legislative Session: 83(R) </TD><TD align=left>Author: Riddle </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<FORM id=Form1 method=post name=Form1 action=Actions.aspx?LegSess=83R&Bill=HB431><TABLE id=usrBillInfoActions_tblActions style="WIDTH: 90%" border=0><TBODY><TR id=usrBillInfoActions_rowActionsHeader><TD id=usrBillInfoActions_cellActionsLabel vAlign=top>Actions: (descending date order)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#d0d0d0 cellSpacing=1 rules=rows borderColorLight=white border=1 frame=hsides><TBODY><TR bgColor=#d0d0d0><TD colSpan=2 align=center>Description</TD><TD align=center>Comment</TD><TD align=center>Date</TD><TD align=center>Time </TD><TD align=center>Journal Page</TD></TR><TR><TD>H </TD><TD>Referred to Corrections </TD><TD></TD><TD>02/11/2013 </TD><TD></TD><TD align=center>307</TD></TR><TR><TD>H </TD><TD>Read first time </TD><TD></TD><TD>02/11/2013 </TD><TD></TD><TD align=center>307</TD></TR><TR><TD>H </TD><TD>Filed </TD><TD></TD><TD>01/10/2013 </TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FORM>

Update and other info regarding HB 431.

There will be a public hearing regarding HB 431. The Texas House Committee on Corrections will discuss three House Bills and HB 431 is one of the three. The meeting is scheduled for 2/27/13 at 2:00 p.m. CST in Austin, TX at the Capitol in Room E2.010.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83R/schedules/html/C2002013022714001.htm
State of Texas - 83rd Legislature, Regular Session --
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES - NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING -- Corrections Committee
~~~~~~~~~~~

The following are the members of Texas House Committee on Corrections who are currently reviewing HB 431.

House Committee on Corrections (C200)

Legislature: 83(R) - 2013
Appointment Date: 1/8/2013

Clerk: Lesley French
Phone: (512) 463-0796
Room: EXT E2.110

Position / Member

Chair: Rep. Tan Parker
Vice Chair: Rep. James White

Members:
Rep. Alma Allen
Rep. Debbie Riddle
Rep. Toni Rose
Rep. J. D. Sheffield
Rep. Steve Toth
~~~~~~~~~~~~

This link has a picture of each Corrections Committee member and indicates the jurisdiction of the Corrections Committee.

http://www.house.state.tx.us/committees/committee/?committee=200&session=83
Texas House of Representatives - Corrections Committee
~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can view the schedule of the Corrections Committee here. I called and spoke to a clerk with the Corrections Committee this afternoon.
There will be 3 HB discussed on 2/27/13. HB 431 is one of the three.

It is a public meeting and one can attend. Also, one can speak to the Committee during the proceedings re HB 431. Prior registration is required if you plan to speak.

Committee Schedules

Corrections

February 27 , 2013 @ 2:00 P.M. or upon final adjourn./recess in room E2.010

http://www.house.state.tx.us/schedu...oday&endDate=week&chamber=&committeeCode=C200
Texas House of Representatives - Schedules - Corrections Committee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For your info, when I spoke to the Corrections Committee Clerk, he said that the State of Texas House of Representatives streams
eight (8) meetings "live" on line. As the meeting time draws near, one can click on under Video on the Homepage of State of Texas Legislature on-line.

Only 8 meetings can be streamed per current system capability. There is a high probability that the Corrections Committee Public Meeting on 2/27/13 will be streamed "live." In the event it is not, one will be able to review in Archives.

This is the Link to the Video/Audio of Live Streams:

http://www.house.state.tx.us/video-audio/
State of Texas - House of Representatives - Video/Audio

This is the Link to Broadcast/Archives for the Corrections Committee:

http://www.house.state.tx.us/video-.../committee-archives/?committee=200&session=83
State of Texas - House of Representatives -- Committee Broadcast Archives 83rd Session - Corrections

Source:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx
State of Texas Legislature - Home
83rd Legislature Regular Session
Texas Legislature Online

Bill Named After Murdered 4-Year-Old To Be Discussed In Austin

Posted: Mon 5:06 PM, Feb 25, 2013

Reporter: Sylvia Villarreal
KBTX - Bryan, TX

emma+thompson.jpg

A bill named after four-year-old Emma Thompson who was murdered in 2009 after being beaten by Lucas Coe, her mother's boyfriend, will be discussed in Austin on Wednesday at a public meeting.

Read more:
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/...-Old-To-Be-Discussed-In-Austin-193138501.html

An article regarding HB 431, the Public Meeting in Austin, TX at the Capitol on 2/27/13 and background information regarding Emma Thompson's murder is on the front page of The Banner Press - Brenham, TX in today's edition (2/26/13).

As stated before, Brenham, TX is the hometown of Abigail Young, the mother of precious Emma Thompson who was murdered by Young's boyfriend, Lucas Coe, in June, 2009.

Special thanks to The Banner Press - Brenham, TX and KBTX (CBS) - Bryan, TX for the coverage of info about this very important Public Meeting regarding HB431.
~~~~~

‘Emma’s Law’ to be discussed

Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:45 am
The Banner Press - Brenham, TX

A public hearing will be held Wednesday by a House committee on a bill that would allow the state parole board to delay considering parole cases involving crimes against children.

Called “Emma’s Law” after 4-year-old Emma Thompson, who was murdered in 2009, the House’s Corrections Committee will hold the hearing tentatively scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. at the capitol.

Subscription required to read entire article:

http://www.brenhambanner.com/news/e...cle_55158f06-803c-11e2-99bb-0019bb2963f4.html

Per the Texas House of Representatives - Weekly Broadcast Schedule, the Public Meeting of the Committee of Corrections will be streamed "live" on Wednesday, 2/27/13, at 2 p.m. CST.

HB 431 (Emma's Law) will be one of three House Bills discussed.

http://www.house.state.tx.us/video-audio/broadcast-schedule/
State of Texas House of Representatives - Broadcast Schedule

Snipped:

Wednesday 2013-02-27

2:00 p.m. — Committee on Corrections

Internet on Livestream 4 House TV on Channel 38 In Room E2.010 or Upon Adjournment
~~~~~

Around 2 p.m. on 2/27/13, you should be able to click on at this Link:

http://www.house.state.tx.us/video-audio/
State of Texas House of Representatives - Live Broadcasts

I bet this bill passes. NO rep anywhere wants to be the one who votes down ANYTHING with regards to children's deaths at hands of abusers. Even if they dont' have a conscious for it they know its political suicide! I think it'll pass !

KWHI - Brenham, TX -- Emma Thompson Bill Discussions -- 2/27/13

The following was on the local radio (Brenham, TX) News this morning at 7:35 a.m. It will be on the Noon News, 5 p.m. News and at the top of each hour today!

Once again, Brenham, TX is the hometown of Abigail Young.
~~~~~

EMMA THOMPSON BILL DISCUSSIONS

(FEBRUARY 27TH, 2013) EP

KWHI - Brenham, TX

The Emma Thompson Law is up for discussion in a Texas House Committee today.

State lawmakers are scheduled to discuss a bill (Wednesday) named after a young girl who died at the hands of her mother&#8217;s boyfriend.

House Bill 431, known as Emma&#8217;s Law, is named after four-year-old Emma Thompson who was murdered in 2009 after being beaten by Lucas Coe, her mother's boyfriend.

Emma's mother, Abigail Young, a former Brenham nurse is considered for parole on an annual basis but if passed, Emma's Law would make the annual review a thing of the past.

Under the new guidelines, Emma's Law would make any felon convicted of a felony against a child eligible for parole every five years instead of once every year.

House Bill 431 is going before the Texas House of Representatives Corrections Committee in a public hearing will be starting at 2 p.m.

Source:

http://www.kwhi.com/news1.htm#EMMA THOMPSON BILL DISCUSSIONS

A HUGE Thank you to Tricia for making the public hearing todays banner on the forum!!!!

3PM ET, 2PM CT, 1PM MT and 12PM PT, folks. I had to do the conversion myself, lol, so I thought I would pass it along.

Wow, Tricia!

Thank you so very much for the banner regarding the State of Texas House of Representatives - Corrections Committee Public Meeting in Austin, Texas today at the Capitol.

Also, for the additional info/Links.

Justice for Emma Thompson continues to prevail.

Per the Clerk for the Corrections Committee in Austin, TX, the next step after today (if HB 431 is approved) will be that HB 431 will go to the Calendar Committee for a reading.

Then it will be scheduled for a reading on the "floor" of the Texas House of Representatives. All members will vote and make amendments if they so choose.

Then if passed by the Texas House of Representatives, it will go to the Texas Senate for readings, vote, etc.

If there are amendments (Senate), it will go back to the House of Representatives.

It is a long process but I, like many, are in for the long haul and am monitoring this bill closely!

I do hope HB 431 becomes "Emma's Law" in honor of precious Emma Thompson!

I downloaded a free ap of RealPlayer (from the Texas House of Representatives - Video site) to watch the Corrections Committee meeting.

The audio and video are excellent.

HB 144 is currently being discussed. Hopefully, HB 431 will be next. HB 431 is listed after HB 144 on the schedule.

Per Rep. Riddle, Laurie Thompson (Emma's paternal grandmother)
will be among folks testifying today!

Rep. Riddle talking about the death of Emma and that Emma lived in her District and about 5 minutes from her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back