TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that is the case, I wonder why that person has not been mentioned and cleared like the rest of the folks.
I thought maybe the person was a friend or roommate who had already been cleared, and just weren’t officially referred to again as being who his fishing plans were with. I don’t recall that it’s been specifically stated though, so just my opinion.

Is that canal tidal? It looks like it connects to the bay. Does it? Does its depth fluctuate? I know people have said it's pretty shallow, but to me the only thing that makes sense of the phone pings and CH's known motions is that he fell in the creek and hasn't been found yet.

Is that canal tidal? It looks like it connects to the bay. Does it? Does its depth fluctuate? I know people have said it's pretty shallow, but to me the only thing that makes sense of the phone pings and CH's known motions is that he fell in the creek and hasn't been found yet.
I don't know if it's tidal but the drainage canal was only a foot deep when LE searched it. I don't know how far they searched it, if it was just around the area of that road/bridge that crosses it

I heard this on the Nancy Grace video, I can't remember the exact timestamp but it's in there

Good questions.

Possibly he slipped on a rock and fell (if drinking previously), suffered a head injury from the rocks, water rises and he's swept out... ??

I hope the locals will share their knowledge.

The nagging question remains... accident vs something nefarious. ETA: If nefarious... who and why?

It is possible someone seems happy, makes plans, has decent grades, but is actually feeling so much pressure / unease / depression deep inside that they decide to "walk away." We even saw a case here recently, but that young man took his car with him. (Student who disappeared right before a scheduled exam, and LE confirmed later they made contact, and they considered the case resolved.)

However it would still be a very serious concern, for the person's well-being, especially if they don't contact family for a long period of time, IMO.
I honestly do not feel this is a suicide. Yes, it is possible, and most certainly people commit suicide all the time when absolutely no one had any idea they were going through anything prior. That said, I don't believe this is the case and I will tell you why.
1.) Caleb owned and had access to a number of firearms for hunting. I think it much more likely use that method.
2.) Caleb was a planner. We know this. A creature of habit. If he had planned his own death, he would not have done it in such a haphazard way as to be barefoot and have to walk to wherever to do whatever-makes no sense no matter how drunk he was.
3.) He loved his family and his friends. I do not believe he would commit suicide in such a cruel away as to leave without a trace, without a note, without anyone knowing where he went. He was texting to his sister, snapping people, playing with a puppy. Just leave all of those people knowing they would be freaking out trying to find you and may never have a chance for any peace? No. Not Caleb. I don't see that here.

I lean toward nefarious reason here. A drug exchange gone wrong. A hook up that went bad. Someone...perhaps...that didn't like the fact that he hunted and fished? Someone that was jealous?
I have less leaning toward misadventure. My initial thoughts were the water. But he was so well trained and informed on the dangers of the water, there is no way he would risk doing something risky like that even if drunk. Possible, but not likely. Also it would be a LONG walk barefooted to the water and someone would have seen him or a camera would have picked him up. If he did something kooky nearby, they would have found him by now.
I will be completely surprised if he did unalive himself though.
Sadly, however, I do not believe Caleb is with us any longer.

He loved his family and his friends. I do not believe he would commit suicide in such a cruel away as to leave without a trace, without a note, without anyone knowing where he went.
Respectfully, as a suicide survivors' support group member for many years, your post is a collection of myths about suicide. I know you don't mean to offend the surviving families, but the comment that a person who commits suicide would be cruel and to suggest that they didn't love their loved one enough "to not do it in a cruel way", implies that our loved ones didn't love their families enough or we didn't love them enough to prevent this. Suicide is not an indicator or measurement of "love" or lack of it. Suicide myths don't help us survivors and don't help prevention.
Edit to add, the disappearing is another thought process that some victims consider, but it has nothing to do with how much they love their family, it's something else for their circumstances.

Last edited:
Good questions.

Possibly he slipped on a rock and fell (if drinking previously), suffered a head injury from the rocks, water rises and he's swept out... ??

I hope the locals will share their knowledge.

The nagging question remains... accident vs something nefarious. ETA: If nefarious... who and why?

That's pretty much the sequence of events I was wondering about.

He wouldn't even have to have been drinking. Anybody can slip on a steep bank like that.

I don't know if it's tidal but the drainage canal was only a foot deep when LE searched it. I don't know how far they searched it, if it was just around the area of that road/bridge that crosses it

I heard this on the Nancy Grace video, I can't remember the exact timestamp but it's in there

Yes, I've seen that part about it only being a foot deep explained in several sources. That's why I was wondering if it's tidal. When my in-laws used to live in Florida, the canal near their house could be 6'-8' deep at high tide and not much more than a mud flat at very low tides.

I'm sure LE has thought of it.

Possibly, he used the canal to walk somewhere and meet someone. If he was intoxicated he probably did not want to risk a dui. He ordered snacks from a place close by which he could have easily driven to. We do not know for sure if his shoes were on at this point, he could have put them on after bringing the dog back to the apartment. It is my understanding the water was low at the time of his disappearance.

This is a very good point.

Yes, I've seen that part about it only being a foot deep explained in several sources. That's why I was wondering if it's tidal. When my in-laws used to live in Florida, the canal near their house could be 6'-8' deep at high tide and not much more than a mud flat at very low tides.

I'm sure LE has thought of it.
If it was tidal though it would be salt water and that canal was described as an "irrigation canal" for the fields around there which would need to be fresh water.

If it was tidal though it would be salt water and that canal was described as an "irrigation canal" for the fields around there which would need to be fresh water
As originally a Californian, I saw a canal and fields and referred to it as an irrigation canal. I've seen it described as a "drainage ditch" but it certainly is not a ditch, MOO, it has substantial overpasses/bridges, I have no idea if it is tidal, as it does empty into a bay. Disregard my description.

FULL INTERVIEW: CCPD releases detailed timeline of Caleb Harris disappearance​

Updated: 3:27 PM CDT March 29, 2024

The last cell phone ping is at the complex or right outside, they originally thought it was elsewhere, but as new info came in it has changed, could change again if new info comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph