TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first I thought the family's statement was more about what they wanted to believe, or what was psychologically easier to believe. I think this varies from family to family -- some would rather think that their loved one was *taken* by chance through no act of their own; some find it easier to hope that they left voluntarily and thus might come back.

With the laundry list of agencies involved, I am beginning to think it's more than that. But I could be completely wrong.

Given the extensive list of agencies involved, I am starting to think he may have seen something he shouldn’t have or someone thinks he saw something…something about the way him and his friend looked over in the direction where the blink camera was, like someone was there or they heard something.

For some reason I thought it was exclusively student housing? Am I way off base there? Definitely agree 30 vacancies seems like a lot. I hope they did search all those vacant apartments— great thinking.

Editing to add— it does look like anyone can live there— wow. So not quite the secure enclave I envisioned…

FAQs:

What are your application requirements?​

Anyone is able to apply
It seems you are right that it is not necessarily students or others affiliated with the school:

“This property is intended and operated for occupancy by students, faculty and staff in higher education, but applications from individuals not involved in higher education may be accepted.”
https://www.apartments.com/the-cottages-at-corpus-christi-corpus-christi-tx/71ydwkz/

Here’s Caleb’s father giving some insight into the state of the drainage ditch at the time of Caleb’s disappearance:

“Before Caleb Harris disappeared and stopped all communication with friends and family, he sent a Snapchat photo to a high school friend showing what police said is a small bridge over a drainage ditch near his apartment.

That area is under close investigation, and Randy Harris said authorities and search and rescue teams, along with volunteers, have been diligent.

That area was hand-to-hand walking in the creek,” Harris said. “The creek wasn’t flowing at the time, so it’s just a muddy bottom creek. It’s very easy to see into it thoroughly.””

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

Personally, I believe young Caleb Harris was grabbed and likely won't be found for some time, if ever. I absolutely hope to be wrong.
I agree with you. I know his parents want to hold onto hope, and I would do the same if it were my child. But it looks like this won't have a good outcome for Caleb.

Almost a month later and this investigation really hasn't advanced much if any. In my opinion something sinister happened to him. I hope I'm wrong. The water has been searched, he was on foot and his phone stopped sharing location shortly after after his last snap chat according to Court TV.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

Personally, I believe young Caleb Harris was grabbed and likely won't be found for some time, if ever. I absolutely hope to be wrong.
I don't think he was grabbed. I believe he went with someone willingly and went to another location for whatever reason and something terrible happened there. I do not believe Caleb is close by i.e. walking distance from his apartment.

It appears that the Police may have omitted a critical aspect from their timeline. That being that CH brought the puppy back inside shortly after 3am, and then went back outside, (per his Dad, link to the article below). The Police included events before and after him going inside in the timeline.
Time Line:
- 2.20am the second roommate went to bed.
- 2.44am CH shared a snapshot of him walking the puppy.
- 3:03am he sent a snapshot to a friend, a friend he rarely snapshots with.
*Missing: Shortly after 3am CH returned with the dog, and then left again.
- At 3.12am his phone went silent.
If he had gone back outside to wait for his Uber Eats, it is unlikely that he would have turned off his phone while waiting.
I believe the Police deliberately excluded from the timeline CH going inside and coming back out again.
My first thought was that he wandered away and had an accident.
I am now swaying to think that he may have been waiting for someone, and that he wandered away to meet up somewhere away from the cameras.
MOO
a

Last edited:
I don't think he was grabbed. I believe he went with someone willingly and went to another location for whatever reason and something terrible happened there. I do not believe Caleb is close by i.e. walking distance from his apartment.
That’s my thought as well.
Is there anywhere close by where a boat could pull up?

The US Marshals being involved reminded me - I have a friend who is currently a Special Agent for US DOS, but previously worked for the Marshals service, and I could ask him some questions!

Why would the Marshals service be involved in a MP case?
Could be attached to a task force, which are usually comprised of a multitude of state and local agencies.
Or the person of interest could be a fugitive for justice and has a pacer warrant.

So there would definitely BE a reason they are involved because they wouldn't typically be involved in any/all MP cases?
Again they very easily could be. It’s not atypical. I’m guessing the Marshals involved are a part of a task force and this is a task force case OR there is a nexus to a fugitive of justice and this is a court-wanted individual involved in the case.

What kind of capabilities could be used to track the phone?
Marshals can use stingray and triangulate phone. If they can figure out the IMEI number of an iPhone they could trace that as well. IMEI can be traced as long as the phone has battery - they used it for us when we were deployed to Libya and places like that. I signed consent to monitor forms for dates I was on mission incase we were captured.

What kind of process would it be to be able to use IMEI to track the phone of a civilian MP? How long would it take?
It depends on carrier and law enforcement agency investigating the case. I’m sure they have done what they need to in order to find it.

“The investigative team, formed during the first days of the search, continues to meet daily to share information from the previous day’s efforts, discuss possible leads, and plot the course of the investigation. The team consists of Investigators from the Police Department’s Criminal Investigation Division and Organized Crime Unit, the FBI, the Texas Rangers, and the United States Marshals Service, along with three Forensic Computer Examiners, and one civilian crime analyst.”
Yeah sounds like a task force for sure.

--

One thing I took away from this conversation is that either the phone was not able to be traced (dead or destroyed), or it was, and where it was traced to provided no additional clues/information.

I thought I read in this thread that LE searched all the apartments. Does anyone else recall reading that in a news article?
MOO
From the CCPD:

“Officers then went door to door throughout his and an adjacent apartment complex, scouring the area for possible witnesses or surveillance video, as well as searching over thirty vacant apartments for the missing student.”

Corpus Christi Police Dept FB, Mar 20

The US Marshals being involved reminded me - I have a friend who is currently a Special Agent for US DOS, but previously worked for the Marshals service, and I could ask him some questions!

Why would the Marshals service be involved in a MP case?
Could be attached to a task force, which are usually comprised of a multitude of state and local agencies.
Or the person of interest could be a fugitive for justice and has a pacer warrant.

So there would definitely BE a reason they are involved because they wouldn't typically be involved in any/all MP cases?
Again they very easily could be. It’s not atypical. I’m guessing the Marshals involved are a part of a task force and this is a task force case OR there is a nexus to a fugitive of justice and this is a court-wanted individual involved in the case.

What kind of capabilities could be used to track the phone?
Marshals can use stingray and triangulate phone. If they can figure out the IMEI number of an iPhone they could trace that as well. IMEI can be traced as long as the phone has battery - they used it for us when we were deployed to Libya and places like that. I signed consent to monitor forms for dates I was on mission incase we were captured.

What kind of process would it be to be able to use IMEI to track the phone of a civilian MP? How long would it take?
It depends on carrier and law enforcement agency investigating the case. I’m sure they have done what they need to in order to find it.

“The investigative team, formed during the first days of the search, continues to meet daily to share information from the previous day’s efforts, discuss possible leads, and plot the course of the investigation. The team consists of Investigators from the Police Department’s Criminal Investigation Division and Organized Crime Unit, the FBI, the Texas Rangers, and the United States Marshals Service, along with three Forensic Computer Examiners, and one civilian crime analyst.”
Yeah sounds like a task force for sure.

--

One thing I took away from this conversation is that either the phone was not able to be traced (dead or destroyed), or it was, and where it was traced to provided no additional clues/information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp.52203