TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it be plausible that he intended to meet with someone he met online, and was using the Snapchat of the bridge to signal his exact location for pickup?

Or has the recipient of the Snapchat been identified?
The Snapchat recipient has been identified however I have not seen the name published. It was reported it was a friend of Caleb

The ring camera footage showing them walking the dog in the parking lot... was that taken from Caleb & roomies camera? Or another apartment ring cam? Caleb looks almost directly at the camera and smiles... I've wondered who was he smiling at?

I think he was already smiling and perhaps talking with his friends when he looked up because the light went on on the security (Ring-type) camera.

We put Ring cameras around our house last summer, and when one of the cameras detect motion, the light goes on and it records the movement. It’s kinda fun to see the cats on our garden wall (possum and raccoons, too!), and I wondered the same thing: “Why is the cat looking towards the camera?” My husband was the one who pointed out to me that the light going on must have made him turn towards the light to look.

I am technologically illiterate, and I do not use most social media. I'm too old to learn new tricks. Can someone explain this 3:03 a.m. picture. Why does it say 3:03 and what looks like 6:06 just below it ? Is that on the recipient's phone, or a reply at a later time? The low-battery indicator in the upper right corner, is that on Caleb's phone or a recipient's ?
1711597156150.png

I am technologically illiterate, and I do not use most social media. I'm too old to learn new tricks. Can someone explain this 3:03 a.m. picture. Why does it say 3:03 and what looks like 6:06 just below it ? Is that on the recipient's phone, or a reply at a later time? The low-battery indicator in the upper right corner, is that on Caleb's phone or a recipient's ?
View attachment 493261
Consider the largest black box the conversation, with the sender's name at the top left (Caleb) and the time Caleb sent the message (3:03).

Now consider the teal box a specific message from Caleb to the recipient. The message appears to contain an image of a bridge. It also appears this image may be a screenshot, based on the header control panel bar at the top of the image. If Caleb took the screenshot, it would be his battery percentage at the time of the screenshot (6:06). If Caleb is sharing a screenshot someone else sent him, then it would likely be the sender's battery percentage.

Hope that helps/makes sense. :)

View attachment 493261
My guess is that is a screenshot taken at 6:06 am from the recipient's phone, of a Snap that was received at 3:03 am. Snaps don't show the battery level of the sending device.

It's a little weird to screenshot a Snap, especially before presumably anyone knew he was missing. Screenshotting alerts the sender that you did so, and is generally sort of poor etiquette. You can save Snaps in your chat with that person, but again, that is something the other party can see you've done.

The common way around it, if you want to be sneaky, is to use a second device to physically photograph the device with the Snap displayed.

My guess is that is a screenshot taken at 6:06 am from the recipient's phone, of a Snap that was received at 3:03 am. Snaps don't show the battery level of the sending device.

It's a little weird to screenshot a Snap, especially before presumably anyone knew he was missing. Screenshotting alerts the sender that you did so, and is generally sort of poor etiquette. You can save Snaps in your chat with that person, but again, that is something the other party can see you've done.

The common way around it, if you want to be sneaky, is to use a second device to physically photograph the device with the Snap displayed.

Maybe the recipient, apparently one of Caleb's friends, had already been contacted by one of the roommates. I realize 6:00 a.m. is early, but we don't know which friend Caleb sent the bridge snap to, so we don't know that recipient's time zone either. I'm just thinking that maybe that friend forwarded this screenshot to show when/how he/she last heard from Caleb.

Caleb Harris missing person.jpg

According to the CCPD Blotter, 21-year-old Caleb Harris was last seen early in the morning on Monday, March 4 near his apartment complex, located in the 1900 block of Ennis Joslin Rd.

His roommates realized later that morning that they couldn't find him, prompting Harris's family to report him as missing
:(

View attachment 493261
I am feeling very strongly in looking at this photo that it is a clue. There would be absolutely no reason for Caleb to take this random screenshot and send it for no reason. Typically, people snap photos of themselves. This photo is so random. He took it and sent it at 3:03 in the morning? Why? I feel strongly there is an answer here. Did he send it to someone quickly to provide a clue that he was being taken? Did he see or hear something that caused him to take the photo and send it?

That said, and I don't know if this is correct, but the screenshot of the snap may have been taken at 6:06 PM not 6:06 AM. FYI - I have college aged kids and the amount of snaps these kids send out and receive constantly is astounding. They also have something called streaks. In order to maintain their "streak" with a friend, they have to snap them every single day, or the streak ends and restarts. Could this have been just a simple streak shot he sent to maintain a streak?

That said, I feel very strongly this is the most important clue we have. The dog video is not a clue. It was way prior to him going missing. The Uber Eats person is a red herring. Just something he did every night from what I understand. It was his lunch for the following day.

Honestly, one of the most perplexing cases I've seen in a while. Healthy young man just vanishes into thin air.

@mzmarymac excellent point about the 6:06 timestamp. PM makes way more sense.

I also believe the bridge photo is important, but that's because for now, my working premise is that Caleb was grabbed moments after he sent the Snapchat. It's that timestamp: Caleb 3:03AM. I read it as last known proof of life.

(And even that's not simple if factual data proves that his phone lost power or was turned off at 2:58 a.m. Then the Snapchat was sent who knows when and routed through the cloud who knows how long before arriving to the recipient's phone, and where along the way was it timestamped?)

I'm so glad the recipient took a screen capture; otherwise, this image would be lost with Caleb and his phone.

One more Snap thing: you can set a particular conversation to retain Snaps for 24 hours, or to default to deleting them after opening. We don't know what the recipient's settings were. If they had the chat on delete, that Snap would be gone after opening and therefore unscreenshottable unless they specifically saved it at that time. If they had it on 24, then they could have reopened and screenshotted at 6:06 pm.

Wondering why LE is still closed lips about video from this gentleman in the news report.
And all the others following this one?
And always no clues?
They usually use them to communicate new information about the case.
But nothing really new from LE since day one, no comments about PI or anything else.
This silence about videos is bugging me on day five.
Ain’t it weird having a PI from day one?

One more Snap thing: you can set a particular conversation to retain Snaps for 24 hours, or to default to deleting them after opening. We don't know what the recipient's settings were. If they had the chat on delete, that Snap would be gone after opening and therefore unscreenshottable unless they specifically saved it at that time. If they had it on 24, then they could have reopened and screenshotted at 6:06 pm.

Regarding the recipient of the Snapchat pic of the bridge presumably sent by Caleb, over on the “Missing: Talk of Caleb Harris” FB page, the admin (Nicole Owens) wrote that the friend (recipient) is not one who checks his Snap often. When he found it was after knowing Caleb was missing. So he knew he would take a screenshot of it upon opening it.

Wow, lots of new (to me) information here.

First, apparently LE don’t think CH (or his phone) was ever over near Rodd Field Rd., the pain management place, Williams, Holly, etc. They think he disappeared from right there outside his apartment (this is my interpretation of the crime online audio).

To me this resolves the barefoot question. No issues being barefoot inside your apt or just outside it in the parking lot for a little while - either walking the dog - or waiting for UE.

And since it seems LE thinks whatever happened to CH, happened right there (again, my interpretation of what was said), it seems that he WAS out waiting for UE (something I thought was unlikely before hearing this).

LE cannot explain how a snapchat of the foggy bridge right there at The Cottages was sent to one of CH’s friends at 3:03 am - when they are certain that his phone was dead or turned off at 2:58 am. I got the impression that they (LE) think this discrepancy might be explained by a server issue or some other tech or app or signal or carrier issue (again, that’s just how I understood the comments).

Yesterday I was wondering whether CH actually took the bridge photo / snap - or if perhaps it was taken by somebody else using his phone - but I now assume it had to have been him as it was sent to one of his friends.

Apparently the UE driver saw a car leaving The Cottages as she came into the complex to deliver the order. LE has supposedly identified and spoken to the individual in the car who was leaving.

Apparently that person (the one leaving) was a friend of somebody else who lived in the apartment complex, and they were headed back to where they lived (I think I caught this as being San Antonio
/ New Braunfels, but will have to re-listen). LE apparently do not believe this individual was involved in CH’s disappearance. But, I wonder if CH knew that individual, given the San Antonio / New Braunfels connection? Maybe they should re-interview him/her. Btw, everything in this paragraph - in fact everything in this post - is just my opinion and / or pure speculation.

So, what could have happened right outside the apartment complex between 2:58 am and 3:20 am when the UE driver showed up. I’ve read before that LE has checked out the UE driver and don’t feel like she was involved. The one remaining roommate reportedly went to bed at around 2 am. I think the other / third roommate and his friend (who was seen on the 1 am dog walk video) went to that roommate’s girlfriend’s place, but I’m not sure.

The impression I got was that the roommates had grown up together, been best friends since they grade school. New Braunfels area. Sounds like they all went to a private Christian school there.

There obviously was a ring cam at the area of the parking lot where they were seen walking the dog closer to 1 am., but I’m guessing there was no camera in the area of the apt pkg lot facing that bridge.

And certainly one of the strangest things of all is the phone being dead/turned off at 2:58 am. Yes the explanation could be as simple and innocent as: it ran it of power, - but if it didn’t, it might mean that something happened in a wider window of time, say from 2:45 am (after the UE order was placed) up to 3:20 am.

This something happening between 2:45 am and 2:58 however, would also mean (to me) that somebody else probably took the bridge snap (which I still think is unlikely - though I suppose the snap could have been taken by somebody else using CH’s phone who also knew the friend CH sent the snap to..) - and then turned off the phone (again, if it didn’t just run out of power). If it was intentionally turned off, that would almost have to have been pre-planned (by either CH or somebody who took CH’s phone), wouldn’t it? All speculation

Lastly, from the crime online audio.. what an amazing job LE is doing, the resources and organizations that are involved is really impressive: local LE, CC, Texas Rangers, FBI, US Marshals Service, IT / social media analysis, search and rescue orgs, dogs, volunteers - and I’ve probably forgotten a few.

It’s so bizarre. What could have happened to Caleb Harris?

All jmo.
Pardon me, but I don’t think LE’s job here is “impressing”. We don’t even have basic facts nailed down. That’s not a good look.

So there is a Snapchat of a bridge at 3:03, but his phone went out of battery at 2:58. He could have a tablet he had with him where he was still logged into Snapchat.

It would take Caleb around 13 minutes to walk to the bridge.

Then it pinged at 3:12, near the Pain management clinic, it would have been a walk of 36 minutes to even get there. After the bridge that doesn't even check out. Unless he was in a car

I guess my question is, how can it ping when the phone is off

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-28 09.22.03.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-28 09.22.03.png
    380.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2024-03-28 09.21.23.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-28 09.21.23.png
    289.9 KB · Views: 8
The ring camera footage showing them walking the dog in the parking lot... was that taken from Caleb & roomies camera? I wonder where his baseball cap may be.Or another apartment ring cam? Caleb looks almost directly at the camera and smiles... I've wondered who was he smiling at?

I wonder where his baseball cap may be also. If he was abducted, mugged or hit by a car I doubt the cap would have remained on his head. Did he wear it back out when he was waiting for UberEats? I am surprised that LE never mentioned it to searchers to look out for it being on the ground somewhere. MOO MOO MOO

Last edited:
I wonder where his baseball cap may be also. If he was abducted, mugged or hit by a car I doubt the cap would have remained on his head. Did he wear it back out when he was waiting for UberEats? I am surprised that LE never mentioned it to searchers to look out for it being on the ground somewhere. MOO MOO MOO
This is what I wondered about his phone. If he was was walking in the fog and hit hard enough to be killed, how would the phone have stayed on his person? And then the occupant of the car takes the time to not only load up his almost 6 foot, 180 pound body, but also searches for and finds the phone before departing the scene, and leaving no evidence?

I wish there was any information that made sense of Caleb’s disappearance. I pray daily his parents get some answers.

Pardon me, but I don’t think LE’s job here is “impressing”. We don’t even have basic facts nailed down. That’s not a good look.
Maybe you misunderstood (and I do pardon you!). I never said LE was trying to impress anybody, or that they were trying to make an impression for appearances sake, or that I think it is LE’s “job” (ever) to impress people. Not sure how you got that impression from my post.

I said that I am impressed by the size and scope and capabilities of the many LE organizations that are involved in trying to find CH.

It was clear from what Assistant Chief Green said. This is not just a local LE investigation - which is something I think we see far too often on cases. Some local LE organizations resist or refuse to seek outside help (even when they need the resources), maybe due to pride/ego, personalities, and/or politics. That has not been the case here at all - which I find impressive.

Jmo

Last edited:
The Snapchat recipient has been identified however I have not seen the name published. It was reported it was a friend of Caleb

So there is a Snapchat of a bridge at 3:03, but his phone went out of battery at 2:58. He could have a tablet he had with him where he was still logged into Snapchat.

It would take Caleb around 13 minutes to walk to the bridge.

Then it pinged at 3:12, near the Pain management clinic, it would have been a walk of 36 minutes to even get there. After the bridge that doesn't even check out. Unless he was in a car

I guess my question is, how can it ping when the phone is off
It was only a minute or two to get to the bridge. It literally borders the apartment complex.

As far as the Snapchat photo is concerned, the recipient lives in Colorado. For the latest update from LE, you may want to check out Nancy Grace's show if you can handle her interviewing style. The assistant chief of police was interviewed as well as Caleb's father. It may answer some of your questions about that last reported "ping" at 3:12am which is still a mystery but the assistant chief thinks is "erroneous".

Last edited:
Just because WE don’t have basic facts nailed down doesn’t mean LE doesn’t. The amount of resources brought into this case right away is impressive.
We have to remember that LE has to prepare subpoenas and then they must wait for cellphone companies, app companies, etc to give them the digital information, then that information has to be analyzed, and then tracked down. Unfortunately, that takes time. In the meantime, they conducted searches, interviewed neighbors, collected video/cctv footage from the area, etc. They brought in SAR units, the Texas Rangers, the FBI, and numerous other agencies.
We have a young man who disappeared in an isolated area in the middle of a dark foggy night. Someone didn’t run up to LE the first night and say, “I just saw Caleb get snatched. Here’s the plate number of the car and the description of the perpetrator.”
Everyone wants this young man found ASAP and that includes the LEO’s who are working this case. Sorry you are not impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500