TX TX - Cheryl Henry, 22, & Andy Atkinson, 21, Houston, 21 Aug 1990

What a sad case....how terrible for the loved ones of these two young folks. Prayers that new and important information will come forward that will bring some closure to this case. Cheryl and Andy...you are loved and not forgotten!

You are so right Shefner, whoever did this to them should not be free in the world. Terrifying.

But now I've discovered on the website set up by the family, date of death is stated as August 23rd. So that's three dates now;21,22,23. All reported on msm as well, along with appeals for witnesses and help. For different days??

There's no chance this case will ever be solved if we haven't got the basic facts straight to start with. I wonder if it is possible to check with Houston LE's website? I'll look.

I don't have anything to add, but just wanted to say this case has touched my heart deeply for all these years.

I hope so much that the killer or killers of these two innocent, beautiful young people will be brought to justice.

This article says an early satellite photo of the crime scene was found, an hour before the couple were killed. But although the company waived the search fee, they wanted thousands of dollars for the actual photo and LE couldn't afford it!

That could have contained vital evidence. I wonder if it was ever handed over to LE?

http://www.helpcherylandandy.com/id5.html

God forbid there is something on there that could have caught this miscreant years ago.
I certainly hope that Mr. Paul Caldwell of PSYTEP did indeed cooperate with police and provide the satellite views of the crime scene. In my opinion, costly or not, it would have been the honorable and moral thing to do. Let's hope he did.

BTW - great writing by reporter Michael Graff in the followup piece about the devastation left behind. I wish all reporters would take the time to infuse the life back in to the victims like Michael did. Well done.

This article says an early satellite photo of the crime scene was found, an hour before the couple were killed. But although the company waived the search fee, they wanted thousands of dollars for the actual photo and LE couldn't afford it!

That could have contained vital evidence. I wonder if it was ever handed over to LE?

http://www.helpcherylandandy.com/id5.html

Wow this company is sick if they did not want to help in a murder investigation!

Contacting a social media site to share the story may help further spread the case. On Facebook there is a page called "Seeking TheLost" that is dedicated to missing persons both new and old cases. They have hundreds of thousands of followers and each case that is posted is shared on the personal pages of thousands of people all over the country so it can spread to many people quickly. It may be a new way of approaching getting this sketch and handwritten note out to the public as I had never heard of this case. There is also another Facebook page similar called "Missing". Releasing child *advertiser censored* offenders to the public to identify via social media is leading to identification quickly and cases closed so social media can be a great tool in some cases. If anyone has the time to contact these pages and see if they would share the case I think it may be helpful

I wish the family member would come back to this thread. I wonder if they know this is the spotlight case?

I think a map of the main locations would be really useful in this case. I have a list of the locations and will post them soon. I can't promise a map though, I struggle with them.

I wish the family member would come back to this thread. I wonder if they know this is the spotlight case?

I think a map of the main locations would be really useful in this case. I have a list of the locations and will post them soon. I can't promise a map though, I struggle with them.

I sent her a PM. I'm sure she'll be back even if it's after the week is over. :kimsterwink:

Here is a list of locations. Sorry it took me more than a minute, locations and workplaces have changed/closed. Anybody who can confirm I have murder site absolutely correct?

IMO, we really need a map and a SAR expert here. I think the map is going to reveal a relatively small area where the killer lived and/or worked.

Gigi's: 11150 Nw Fwy, Houston 77092 - workplace of rape survivor.

Rick's Cabaret: 77057 Bering Dr, Houston 77057 - former workplace of Cheryl.

Gold's gym: 16211 Clay rd, Houston, 77084 - workplace of Andy.

Dreamstreet Club: number unknown, Winrock Blvrd, Houston, 77057 -workplace of Andy.

Bayou Mama's: corner near Westheiner rd and Gessner rd, Houston, 77064- (building now demolished). Nightclub Cheryl and Andy visited before their murder.

1300 Enclave Parkway, Houston 77077, cul de sac nr Gulf Freeway (Eldridge Prkway??) - site of murder of Cheryl and Andy.

Terra Cotta Dr, Houston, 77040 - location of rape attack.

Rape survivor was attacked around 2am. Andy and Cheryl were attacked after 11pm.

IMO the killer was free to prowl and was sure no questions would be asked, very late at night. So maybe he was not married and lived alone? Or worked as a doorman/security/barman/janitor at a club, so him returning home in the early hours would not raise suspicions?

I've read on another thread about a 'comfort' zone for killers; far enough away from their home so they won't be connected, but still within an area they are familiar with and feel comfortable in. I think this is one of those cases that fit that theory.

Last serial post because I know it's rude; there are still people out there reminiscing with fondness about Bayou Mama's nightclub. It was designed as a swamp and closed the same year Andy and Cheryl were killed. So I think it's highly likely this murder will have stuck in the minds of people around at that time, and somebody might well have a suspicion about somebody around at that time.

It is never too late for them to come forward and end the suffering of the victims' families.

I found this link on the UID Huntington Beach thread and am bringing it over. It's a website set up to celebrate discos and clubs of the 70s/80s and they are getting useful info from it - finding people now, who went to the clubs then. There are active discussions about the clubs, times and people who went to them.

Bayou Mamas and Dreamstreet are not on there, but they could be put there. I haven't checked all of them (there's loads) but other clubs in Houston may be listed, with people discussing them. It could be a good place to pick up or ask for any info regarding Cheryl and Andy, or any suspicions whirling around. It's bound to have stuck in people's minds.

http://www.discomusic.com/clubs/

ETA: Found a club in the same street as the last one Cheryl and Andy went to. No comments yet, but a post might start them coming.

http://www.discomusic.com/clubs-more/15251_0_6_0_C/

I have tried and failed to add Bayou Mama's to that club site, linked above. Sorry, no idea what I did wrong.

If anybody else wants to give it a try, Bayou Mama's was situated at the corner of Westheimer (NOT WestheiNer as I misspelt in an earlier post) and Gessner, closed in 1990 and was famous for its swamp.

I have been thinking about this killer, and some things leap out at me. As this thread is a little silent I will post my thoughts, although they will be quite long.

This killer has a disorganised mind but he is definitely an organised killer.
He was late twenties to early thirties then, so will be aged 45-55 now.
He was good looking and confident and probably had one or more girlfriends and a string of broken relationships behind him. Probably domestic violence history too.
He is also a stalker.
A peeping Tom.
Probably has a history of other, minor crimes. Maybe caught breaking into cars or homes. Trespassing.
He chooses locations that adjoin open areas where he can watch his potential victims for long periods, in their homes or cars, and escape easily.
Is responsible for other rapes and maybe murders. Some almost certainly occured before Cheryl and Andy. This was not a beginner's crime.
At least some of his other crimes will involve a couple as his victims (male/female).
He may be/has been in prison for another attack or rape.
Or maybe married with a partner who knows he has had some 'trouble' in the past.
Other victims of his are still alive and would recognise his young photofit if they saw it. I don't think the aged one is useful. How many men get skinnier when they reach middle age?
He had a map marked with the locations of some of his victims/favoured locations and may still have it now.
It's a pretty straightforward route between the two attack locations. I think he worked and lived within a couple of miles either side of the line.
He carried a rape/murder kit with him. Unless he managed to march Cheryl and Andy into the woods while carrying rope, tape, knife, gun in his hands, then he had a container or bag. A metal tool kit would not arouse suspicion but might leave paint flakes on the victims.
He maybe worked with horses, or had a rural background (the knot expertise).
He probably murdered Cheryl and Andy around 12pm, and raped the other woman around 2am. Two hours' difference is too much to explain by "I was delayed at work". Unless he lived alone, a family member or girlfriend knows he did not come home on time on at least one of these nights.

I know I should say WHY I think this, but it would be too long for the next post. I'll follow up in the next post, unless someone else chips in (please!! This is a dangerous guy here and he hasn't been caught.)

Just read this story the other day. My condolences. No information is given concerning the father of AA and the strip club connection to the killer.

Just read this story the other day. My condolences. No information is given concerning the father of AA and the strip club connection to the killer.

Thank you, canadiandoc. I don't think the family revealed Cheryl's former workplace until much later. I suspect that was for good reasons, and I suspect they were right. It could have made her case much easier to dismiss, sad to say.

I'm not convinced there is a strip club connection, by the way. Westheimer was lined with them, and so many people worked there. I think the real link is that both attacks took place in urban areas, adjoining open spaces. I don't think Cheryl and Andy and the rape survivor were followed from their workplaces.

I think the killer was hiding out in those open spaces, watching, waiting, and planning until the time was right.

There is a mention somewhere that Andy's father owned dreamstreet, and Andy worked there sometimes, by the way. That's how I know of it. i haven't been able to confirm what kind of club it is though, or if it still exists. There is one with a very similar name there now....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back