TX - Dallas police shoot mentally ill man armed with screwdriver: old case, new video

Who said LE 'were such experts'?

Poor reflection on LE for inserting words not spoken, imo. Bold, large font, loud etc - just like the LE we are expected to embrace and respect?

Fwiw, I did not give an opinion on the actions of anyone involved in this shooting or events leading up to it, however I've now lost much respect for LE in North America.

my thoughts in blue, JM2cts..
Well I can speak about offensive - we pay for people to fill in when family cannot to visit my elderly MIL .... Whether the person is elderly or impaired in some way - imo maybe 1 in 1,000 just might care about the job they are being paid for. It is not a nice job -
and who applies for that job? The demand is there, so it is filled.

Not a nice job? A job in which they may face ppl who may -
- yell & scream at them?
- call them names and cruse at them?
- slap them, kick them, perhaps punch them in the face?
- lunge toward them w a screwdriver or other lethal weapon? So kinda, sorta, in some aspects of some LEO jobs?

(I find it offensive that individuals or service-provider companies falsify hours. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Criminal in fact. One of those issues where ppl are
wronged in a small-ish practical way, but wronged by the principal in a more intense way. Certainly frustrating, irritating, despicable, etc.)

On your other question - no one is endorsing this person being shot?
Sorry, not seeing all others' comments as 'endorsing' this person being shot, in and of itself, w the ltd info avail to the public ATM,
Some may be saying, or at least I am saying: it's possible that LEO(s?) who fired at him may have used justified force in self-defense
argument on this occasion under these circumstances, imo. That is my tentative opn ATM, but subject to change w more info.

Your earlier post:
"Can only see 2 sides so far - shoot them so society is rid of them or place them in facility where they are cared for." bbm
Not seeing the others' comments re above as 'endorsing' a law or policy w only two choices--- LE shooting them or putting them in a facility.

I don't pretend to have a be all and end all solution - just commenting on those that seem to.
Not me; I do not have a solution and do not pretend to either.

Maybe they are right, maybe they are not.
bbm sbm

But if a family called the fire dept over 100x I would think they were using them inappropriately.

As to your 'low expectations' for American police---you do know that they dealt with and handled this same man over 100x, right? I'd say that was a pretty successful effort.

I'd like to see what YOU would have done if that big, strong, irrational armed man lunged at you in a small space. Would you try to soothe him?

First, he didn't lunge at anyone. He took one step out the door with the screwdriver in his hand. The cop drew his gun and pushed it into his chest, pushing the man back against the wall. The man then tried to push the gun away (probably a natural reflex), and was immediately shot three times through his arm into his chest. Then as he was falling to the ground, the cop shot him two more times in the back for good measure. How much threat was he after he had already been shot three times, that he had to be shot two more times in the back?

What would I have done in their situation? Simple I would have evaluated the situation. He is twiddling a screwdriver in his hand, he is not being aggressive, but he is refusing to put it down. I would immediately step back and get my taser ready. But I would not shoot a guy just for twiddling a screwdriver in his fingers.

If there is a violent member of your household that cannot be controlled it would seem that a proper placement would be in a mental institute where you can visit with them. Or visit them in prison, the cemetery or the state hospital after they attack an innocent member of society. MOO

That's what his mother was trying to do, get him to a mental institute, but the cops shot him instead.

First, he didn't lunge at anyone. He took one step out the door with the screwdriver in his hand. The cop drew his gun and pushed it into his chest, pushing the man back against the wall. The man then tried to push the gun away (probably a natural reflex), and was immediately shot three times through his arm into his chest. Then as he was falling to the ground, the cop shot him two more times in the back for good measure. How much threat was he after he had already been shot three times, that he had to be shot two more times in the back?

What would I have done in their situation? Simple I would have evaluated the situation. He is twiddling a screwdriver in his hand, he is not being aggressive, but he is refusing to put it down. I would immediately step back and get my taser ready. But I would not shoot a guy just for twiddling a screwdriver in his fingers.

That's not what it looked like to me. He looked like he was lunging, imo. not stepping. As for refusing to put it down, that's not a problem until you start advancing towards a cop. Then it is a problem.

You say he was not being aggressive. How can you tell that from that video?

The only reason the cops were called out there was because he WAS being aggressive and his family could not deal. And these cops have been out there many times and know him. So I think they know better than we do if he was aggressive or not.

He was shot the second two times by the other cop. It was probably instantaneous to the first shots. It happened very fast.

Tasers are notoriously ineffective on someone holding a weapon. JMO

Who said LE 'were such experts'?

Poor reflection on LE for inserting words not spoken, imo. Bold, large font, loud etc - just like the LE we are expected to embrace and respect?

Fwiw, I did not give an opinion on the actions of anyone involved in this shooting or events leading up to it, however I've now lost much respect for LE in North America.

Nobody said LE were such experts. I am not sure where you are getting that. What I said, in bolded loud font, was that the family is calling out the police for not knowing how to handle their aggressive, mentally ill son. And yet they cannot handle him either. Which is why they called 911 over a hundred times.

According to what I saw from a tv talking head on CNN< these officers DID have crisis intervention training. As i said, they successfully dealt with this same man 100 times already. Seems they averted danger all of those times. He came out that door with a weapon and lunged. At that point there is very little that can be done to change the situation. They did what they could to save themselves.

I would like to see that CNN clip. Can you link to it?

It is okay if you can't. I am having my own frustrations with copying URLs. Suddenly, my computer won't do it.

ETA: Can you also link to where the idea of the police having been there 100s of times? It is clear that they have been there before, but as I am able to see thus far, there is no indication as to how many times that they have actually been there. It is possible that I missed something.

It is frustrating because I have watched that video many times and have yet to form a firm opinion as to what actually happened.

I think it may be more likely that they may have a suit against Green Oaks than the police, depending on what the family was told by Green Oaks and what documentation the family can obtain from Green Oaks. It is a fact: You can be a parent and have an adult child in Green Oaks and still not be able to get access to their medical records or a real consultation with their doctor or case worker due to HIPPA laws.

can someone link this video where you can either clearly see him lunging or not lunging?

i havent seen anything that would prove it one way or the other, it is off camera... maybe im missing something ty

Originally Posted by nothingnew "If there is a violent member of your household that cannot be controlled it would seem that a proper placement would be in a mental institute where you can visit with them. Or visit them in prison, the cemetery or the state hospital after they attack an innocent member of society. MOO"

That's what his mother was trying to do, get him to a mental institute, but the cops shot him instead.
bbm

Pls, a link w copy and paste re Mother's concrete actions in'trying to get him into a mental institute' (in addition to calling 911 for LE ~100x and
saying she tried to get him in). Thx in adv.

Being mentally ill isn't a free pass to hurt people without suffering consequences.

I am trying al66pine to get you the links that you asked for. May have to tediously just type them in or suggest places you can Google. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.

Being mentally ill isn't a free pass to hurt people without suffering consequences.

Right. That is why we have courts, trials, and an insanity defense. An insanity defense, I might add, that is not easily applicable to most cases.

That's not what it looked like to me. He looked like he was lunging, imo. not stepping. As for refusing to put it down, that's not a problem until you start advancing towards a cop. Then it is a problem.

The cop pushed him against the wall. The cop was pushing him. He was not advancing.

XBbFlMF.jpg

You say he was not being aggressive. How can you tell that from that video?

Seems pretty obvious to me. I see nothing aggressive about a person twiddling a screwdriver in their fingers.

xVwQMqx.jpg

The only reason the cops were called out there was because he WAS being aggressive and his family could not deal. And these cops have been out there many times and know him. So I think they know better than we do if he was aggressive or not.

He was shot the second two times by the other cop. It was probably instantaneous to the first shots. It happened very fast.

He was shot two times in the back. How do you justify that?

hP7WOcy.jpg

can someone link this video where you can either clearly see him lunging or not lunging?

i havent seen anything that would prove it one way or the other, it is off camera... maybe im missing something ty

[video=youtube;sRrqbOUuRVw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRrqbOUuRVw[/video]

Originally Posted by nothingnew "If there is a violent member of your household that cannot be controlled it would seem that a proper placement would be in a mental institute where you can visit with them. Or visit them in prison, the cemetery or the state hospital after they attack an innocent member of society. MOO"

bbm

Pls, a link w copy and paste re Mother's concrete actions in'trying to get him into a mental institute' (in addition to calling 911 for LE ~100x and
saying she tried to get him in). Thx in adv.

She called 911 and said that her son needed to be hospitalized because he was suffering from bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. What more would you want her to do? Thats the way you would normally start the process for something like that.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/headlines/20140614-dallas-police-kill-man-outside-his-home-in-red-bird.ece

The cop pushed him against the wall. The cop was pushing him. He was not advancing.

XBbFlMF.jpg

Seems pretty obvious to me. I see nothing aggressive about a person twiddling a screwdriver in their fingers.

xVwQMqx.jpg

He was shot two times in the back. How do you justify that?

hP7WOcy.jpg

I watched it a dozen times and do not see what you are describing. And taking screenshots of a frame is not 'truthful' because it is out of context.

Yes, at first he is just twirling then screwdriver, but then he makes a sudden movement and the chestcam goes out of view because the cops both suddenly moved IN REACTION to the mans sudden movement. The cops would not have jumped like that for no reason.

The cop pushed because the man lunged. Then he fights back and goes forward again. The shots are fired in a split second. The second group ends up in his back because by then he is falling.

And it is not true that 'twirling a screwdriver' is not an aggressive action. When cops are telling you to put it down, and you stand there and twirl it in your fingers, you are making a passive/aggressive statement, that a cop is going to see as aggression.

<<< my (#) in red

daisytrail
1. Apologies for shortening your full user name. I should not done that; it was inappropriate.

2. I'd like to read more about CIT's, how they operate, are funded, etc. Any suggestions, esp online?

3. "...LEOs connected with CITs who have gone through it and know how to handle..."
It's terrific that some LE agencies train for and can handle these situations.

4. Comparing LE response to spousal dom vio to LE response to MI person dom vio?
As some ppl on this thread have said, at some point well before 100+ dom vio calls from same couple, seems there would be arrests.
W spousal or I/P dom vio situations, we have 2 non-MI adults. Well, imo, 2 diff subjects, jmo, moo.

5. Not insisting that LEOs are obligated to act only after a crime has occurred.
My point was distinguishing general nature of crimes "in neighborhoods" vs crimes "in homes" You said we have a right to protection from both.

a) In neighborhood - usu LE assistance is after the fact, because by its very nature, perp typically commits crime against victim,& perp leaves.
While getting mugged etc in the street, vic's call to 911 is not fast enough for LE arrive there on the spot before perp leaves.

b) In home - fam calling 911 re MI person, when LE arrives 'perp' is still w 'vic' at scene (often, at least that's what I get from this case).
In cases of stranger unlawfully entering home & stealing, usu vic would be away at time of burglar, etc. so vic calls 911 after the fact.

6. Not saying LEs' preventing crime is not "of some value if it saves lives." Saying they tend to arrest after crimes, can't always prevent crimes.

7. Spousal abuse in the past was ignored until someone died? I do not recall that commonly happening (personally I'm north of 55, jme, meo).
Certainly some was not reported, and yes, some was ignored. IDK how widely re either.
Again that is a different subject and expounding about it will not, imo, further exploring poss solutions w MI-persons & LE interface.

8. "Remain backward when dealing with the mentally ill"? No, not saying that.
Wondering if fam of MI-persons menacing, threatening etc, can reasonably expect LE to resolve those issues/problems/situations for them
without injury to fam members, to MI persons, or to LE? Some of the time, most of the time, every time?
Can US LE train & gear up to do that?
Every time? Or is the health care/medical environment better tasked w this? IDK

Apology accepted of course.

To address your point 2:

www.mysanantonio.com/news/article/Treatment-for-mentally-ill-better-than-jail/2241568.php

The above link deals with a program in San Antonio about CIT training. The goal is to make it mandatory.

www.en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_intervention_training

The above link talks in general about Crisis Intervention Training and Texas.

To address point 4:

Yes, I am back on that again. Last year the Dallas Morning News did extensive coverage of domestic violence. It was an excellent series. One point that they made and the laws concur with this is that domestic violence does not include spousal or partner violence but any in home violence that arises among the residence, as well as violence that arises between family members that have formerly lived together. This also includes not just spouses but all intimate partners and also sibling and parental relationships. By definition, the situation we are dealing with is domestic violence. Also domestic violence: That between same sex intimate partners. Last year when the DMN was keeping track of this, there were almost as many female perps as male. They did not keep track of all cases (that would be impossible). They kept track of those in which a death resulted. One of the more horrific involved a young man killing his family.

To address point 5:

I think that I did not at first properly understand you. If your point is that LE cannot possible scrutinize or referee every disagreement in a home, you are certainly right. However, here we are definitely talking about a physical threat to the family. Some people are arguing that the MI person having a screwdriver in his hands represents a threat. One cannot consistently argue that said screwdriver was a threat to officers but not to his mother. She undoubtedly called the police because she felt threatened. There must be a threat to take someone to a mental hospital, for instance. We cannot know how overt this threat was to his mother before police arrived but she certainly wanted away from her son judging by her action of having her purse and abruptly moving away from her son when the police arrived.

I do understand the greater risk and complications of an in-home potential vic and perpetrator.

However, if you prefer that we just agree to disagree on this subject, we can certainly do so.

To address point 6:

I find we are in agreement.

To address point 7:

I am 66. When I was around 6yo, a man next door was constantly beating his wife, terrorizing his children, and threatening me and my brothers for just playing in our yard. This man happened to be a church maintenance man and police officer. He lost his LE position when he took church funds for his own use. He made everyone around him fearful and yet the police never arrested him for domestic violence. Fast forward to when I was thirteen, when they had moved out of town and we had relocated to a new house. The nightly news came on and we learned his wife had shot him when he was trying to climb the outside of a hotel to a room she had locked herself in with the purpose of hurting her. She shot and killed him and everyone in my family cheered. She probably went to jail, poor woman. I am a former victim advocate (1980s) and I know well how domestic violence victims and their welfare were generally ignored by the police.

To address point 8:

I do not blame any family who has a seriously mentally ill family member for trying to secure all available resources. That is what families should do. LE is just one resource. One of the main problems is that years ago, Congress (yes, those guys in Washington, D.C.) passed a law that mandated parity in the treatment of physically and mentally ill people. That bill has yet to be properly implemented or fully funded. It is partly a societal problem, partly a medical problem (HIPPA laws as they are interpreted being part of the problem), partly an insurance problem, partly a law enforcement problem. I never said it should be all on LE. It is too large of a problem to be solved by LE alone.

Thank you for the courteous debate.

ok so the video linked above by kaboom is the same one we have all seen, there is no video i a missing right? just the one bodycam video?

anyone that is watching that video and saying that they can tell if the man lunged or did not lunge, or even if he made a sudden movement, is seeing what they want to see.

that video is 100% inconclusive as to that critical factor.

daisytrail, it looks bad but all i can say is the situation was over in about 2 seconds, i would like to think they could recognize that he was going down at that point and had already been shot but i just dont know if it is reasonable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back