TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #6

The reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible is now up to $50,000.00.

If you have a tip, please call the Crime Stoppers of Houston Tip Line - all calls are completely anonymous. Only tips and calls DIRECTLY TO Crime Stoppers are anonymous and eligible for a cash reward.

+1 (713) 222-TIPS (8477)

or the Harris County Sheriff’s Office at (713) 221-6000

Her mom said in an interview that all of their trips were pre-paid and she already had a lot of spending money set aside for this trip. I agree, the last minute garage sale seems quite odd.

I am not someone who loves garage sales, but when I do have one it's to get rid of a lot of stuff at once. But it is much more effective to host the garage sale AND post any big ticket items on Facebook. I think 90% of the big stuff I sold was from people seeing it on FB then coming to the sale or buying it from FB and asking me to hold it.
This is such a varying thing among people. I've never in my life had a garage sale, and I'd rather have needles in my eyeballs than do one. However, there are people who have them virtually all the time. They figure they could buy this, that, or the other thing if they only had a few more bucks, and gather together a few things they find around the house, put an ad in wherever people put ads in these days and, voila: It's garage sale day!

I really don't think anything of Liz having a garage sale in the few days before their vacation, even if they'd already saved up a lot beforehand. I think there are just many people out there who figure: "Why not get rid of the few things we have hanging around that we don't use anymore and get some extra bucks for our trip. We can have a $$$$$ meal instead of a $$$$ on the last night. Besides, I have plenty of vacay days accrued...." Anyway, just my two pennies.

Someone knows something... do the right thing and make the call.

The reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible is now up to $50,000.00.

If you have a tip, please call the Crime Stoppers of Houston Tip Line - all calls are completely anonymous. Only tips and calls DIRECTLY TO Crime Stoppers are anonymous and eligible for a cash reward.

+1 (713) 222-TIPS (8477)

I really don't think anything of Liz having a garage sale in the few days before their vacation, even if they'd already saved up a lot beforehand. I think there are just many people out there who figure: "Why not get rid of the few things we have hanging around that we don't use anymore and get some extra bucks for our trip.
I never really understood that, but this year it clicked after I realized I did a similar thing before my own trip. Garage sales are not a thing here, but I had a few items for sale at a second hand store, so last night before the trip I went there to collect money for the sold items and also dropped off a few last items I had forgotten the pervious time. Just to "have it over with" before the trip - the few extra bucks in cash were a bonus.
So just an extra aspect. If she had been thinking about selling a few more items for a while, then it really does not surprise me that she tried to squeeze it in before the trip.

One part of this case I thought was strange was how the killer drives by to see if Elizabeth Barraza is there before committing the murder. It is like they do not want to park in the area to watch.

Why did the killer not just park a few houses down and wait for Sergio's white van to pull out of the driveway? Then they could have simply pulled up to the Barraza house and got out quickly to commit the murder. We need to remember the murder happened right about the same time as when Elizabeth Barraza would normally be walking to her car to get in and go to work. She took off January 25th for the garage sale. This cannot take more than 10-20 seconds from the front door to her car.

One interesting point is how if the killer had done what I thought they would do, they could have murdered Elizabeth Barraza earlier either when she left to go to Starbucks or when she arrived back from Starbucks and parked her car on the street in front of the house. According to footage she arrived back from Starbucks at 6:18 am. Where was the killer?

All intriguing questions. Thought it's interesting that the killer does not want to park in the area to watch.

-- Someone in the neighborhood may recognize the truck?
-- Does the killer know about the surveillance cameras in the neighborhood?
-- The truck is moving at all times with the exception of killing Liz.

Regarding your second paragraph: Did the killer want to wait until the biggest threat is gone before killing Liz? Of course that would be S. Additionally, my understanding is that Liz would normally part her vehicle in the garage. To speculate, her vehicle was parked outside that fateful morning because of the impending garage sale.

In regards to your third paragraph: Where was the killer?

-- Is the killer picking up an accomplice?

All speculation, my thoughts only...

The timing of the killing is impeccable - is it a clue?

Last edited:
I think this statement (parking in the garage) has never been accompanied with any kind of an official link. My family would also say stuff that I "always" do - while I might do these things on most days, it's rarely so black-and-white.

Why I find this statement fishy is that we have the doorbell footage of Liz going to Starbucks in the morning. And she goes to a car that is parked outside, not in the garage. And when she returns, she again parks outside, not in the garage.

Maybe she did park in the garage 95% of days. But we have video proof that she did not do that always. Moreover, the killer might be totally unaware of her parking habits 95% of the days if the killer drove by 2 AM and saw Liz's car parked outside.

MOO
Nice post, @Sjöberg. Appreciate your posts. Not sure if it's considered official or if it is helpful; however, I've linked the parents' video below. BN is Liz's dad. If interested, please reference video at timestamp @10:57.

@8:46 BN: The Orlando trip was one of several trips that they had planned and budgeted for because they really loved doing it.

@9:33 Beginning talks about the garage sale

@10:57 BN: So what Liz always did when she left the house was her car was in the garage - she would go out to the car, lock the door, set the alarm and then she’d start her car up. Lock the doors, open the garage door and back out.

The day of the garage sale. That abundance of caution led her to set the alarm in the house on instant trigger and leave the door from the garage into the house unlocked. I can only say this was in case she needed a quick retreat. That she knew if she could get to the door and pop it open the alarm would instantly go off.

KHOU 11 exclusive: Parents of Elizabeth Barraza talk about their daughter's death and investigation​

Im part way through thread 5 where there was some discussion around the burglary that had taken place 3 years earlier in their condo/apartment. Do we know anything about this burglary ? Apparently it was quite a feat, since the Barazza's lived on the 3rd floor.

First, do we have any idea what what stolen and any items of value that didn't get stolen?
2. Were the Barazza's home when it happened ? I assume yes but don't know for fact.
3. If Barazza's were home, was there any struggle ?
4. Was the perp arrested and convicted ? If so, do we know any specific motive other robbery ? Ie robbery of a certain item or wanted to attack Liz?
5. If he was arrested,is he still in jail or has been resleased?

Sorry if all been covered in the last 1.5 threads I need to get caught up on, but i didn't want to wait to pose thesw questions.

Last edited:
2. Were the Barazza's home when it happened ? I assume yes but don't know for fact.
Oh, for some reason I assumed the other way round - but I also have no data whatsoever.
Was the idea that they were at home based on something in the charges or the comments the family made? I'd just be interested to learn more.

Today is not only Valentine's Day, but it's National Donor Day.

EB's donor gifts speak of the truest form of generosity and consideration of others.
my thoughts.

01/29/2019 = Tuesday
  • Early Morning [Approximately 03:00 AM] The Transplant team comes to take Elizabeth down for donation. Her Parents, Brother, Sister-in-Law, Sergio, his mother Margarita, and members of the immediate family walk with her down the hallway to the elevator. Her generosity saved 4 lives, and gave 1 other the gift of sight.

Oh, for some reason I assumed the other way round - but I also have no data whatsoever.
Was the idea that they were at home based on something in the charges or the comments the family made? I'd just be interested to learn more.
I tend to agree. Burglary involves entering a home or another building illegally, whether or not something is stolen, while robbery involves taking property from a person,.

If they had been home, I think it would have been called a home invasion robbery. Home invasion robbery specifically entails forcefully entering a residence with the intent to commit robbery against the occupants inside.

I tend to agree. Burglary involves entering a home or another building illegally, whether or not something is stolen, while robbery involves taking property from a person,.

If they had been home, I think it would have been called a home invasion robbery. Home invasion robbery specifically entails forcefully entering a residence with the intent to commit robbery against the occupants inside.
It would be interesting to know if the person was caught and if they were convicted and are in jail or not.

Nice post, @Sjöberg. Appreciate your posts. Not sure if it's considered official or if it is helpful; however, I've linked the parents' video below. BN is Liz's dad. If interested, please reference video at timestamp @10:57.

@8:46 BN: The Orlando trip was one of several trips that they had planned and budgeted for because they really loved doing it.

@9:33 Beginning talks about the garage sale

@10:57 BN: So what Liz always did when she left the house was her car was in the garage - she would go out to the car, lock the door, set the alarm and then she’d start her car up. Lock the doors, open the garage door and back out.

The day of the garage sale. That abundance of caution led her to set the alarm in the house on instant trigger and leave the door from the garage into the house unlocked. I can only say this was in case she needed a quick retreat. That she knew if she could get to the door and pop it open the alarm would instantly go off.

KHOU 11 exclusive: Parents of Elizabeth Barraza talk about their daughter's death and investigation​

Something your post just made me realize is that the perp moved so fast from their truck, across the lawn and to Liz that she wouldn’t have even been able to run to the garage to escape to the house if she wanted, despite the precaution she took.

The perp also doesn’t take out and reveal their gun until their right up to her table, possibly to reduce the risk of her getting scared and running away before they were close enough to ensure that their shots wouldn't miss or she could escape back into the house?

I wonder if this means that perp knew beforehand that they had to move quickly because they were that Liz had taken precautions, had access to both an escape route, the unlocked garage door, and an security alarm, behind her? If so, would that mean the perp or the person who orchestrated her horrific murder would have to be very close to Liz and Sergio to have such intimate knowledge of their house and safety routines?

@AppleTreeGreen, yes, agreed. To piggyback on your great post, I've always wondered how Liz would have even been able to escape anyway? It seemed she was boxed in, with the placement of the table on one side and the treadmill on the other side. But, it's pure speculation on my part because it's hard to clearly see the set up-- maybe jump over the treadmill. Doubtful, because it all happened so fast, and killer caught Liz off guard.

Once paramedics arrived at the scene they moved the treadmill out of the way to assist in helping Liz.

Liz was defenseless - unarmed - unaware - innocent and the killer coward ought to think twice about thinking they got away with a homicide.

My thoughts.

+1 (713) 222-TIPS (8477)

Has anyone tried to contact George Lucas or JK Rowling to up the reward for information that results in an arrest? I wonder if either of them knows about her case and how big a fan of their work she was. It would be pretty cool if the people she was a fan of ended up helping find her killer.

I've only loosely followed this case, and in fact I misremembered her age and thought she was around age 50 for some reason. Not even 30! :( I read the timeline on the website in @arielilane's signature and learned more about this exceptional woman.

It's so hard to understand how/why they haven't caught this person yet since they know the make and model of the vehicle. Was it stolen or something?

It seems to me like this perpetrator intended to rob her and something went wrong? Did she recognize them so that's why she was shot? Had she gone to the bank the day before to get cash to use as change for her yard sale? Thinking "out loud" here (and I'm sure you're all sick of theories like this, so I apologize!). I suppose if this was "their thing," though (robbing yard salers of cash), there'd be more reports about it....

Are there any podcasters or YouTubers that do a good job of covering this case?

The following post is speculation, my thoughts at this time:

• I believe that LE know who (all involved) did this crime, but are building (assurance in a court of law) a case, which will put the people involved away for a very long time... TX is a death penalty state.
  • I believe that only one tip is needed that will break this case wide open, and seal the case.
  • I believe that more than one person was involved in the planning and killing of Liz Barraza, and therefore, maybe someone will eventually do something right, and speak up.

Or perhaps… and more of my thoughts --- at this time, the killer is already incarcerated and therefore, unable to be located- would killer be harder to find if incarcerated? Criminals like to brag, and they like to talk, right? id really k?

-- Did killer go back to their usual every day routine? Did killer leave the country? It’s doubtful that killer isn’t bragging about their crime, at least, I’d be surprised killer isn’t bragging or talking about it.

-- Killer did an early morning drive-by, so I'd suspect, were they on drugs or do they do drugs? - a lot of adrenaline going? No sleep, no food, anxious to commit planned killing. Had been planning to kill Liz for awhile?

-- What about the killer’s outfit? Liz used to work part time at a party warehouse so did any of the items come from that store? Did Liz get along with staff at the store?

I was thinking more about the timing of when the perp was first caught on camera, 2:30 AM IIRC, and thought about who or what type of jobs might get out at that time. From, there I also thought about the perp’s clothing and the idea that perhaps they had just come off of work and were possibly wearing their work attire. I recalled speculation that perhaps the perp was wearing knee-length platform boots and light coat, possibly a trench coat, covering shorter attire underneath. It does appear to me too when they are running that the perp’s legs might be bare. The style of clothing and timing did make me wonder if perhaps the perp possibly worked at a nightclub, strip-club or bar at the time at which they committed the crime? Such outfits and work hours are common among the staff or workers at the nightclubs and such near my location. Perhaps this could possibly explain the late night drive-by at 2:30 AM and the perp’s wardrobe if the perp just got off of work and they didn’t return home to change beforehand?

Reading a few articles too online, platform boots are popular footwear for those who work in the stripping industry. I noticed too on some of the news articles and videos about LE and sex work in Houston, that high heeled shoes or footwear, including heeled and platform boots, that made a person appear taller were also commonly worn among those featured in the videos and articles too.

Of course, perhaps I am wrong about what I think the perp is possibly wearing and the possibility that they may have been working in a nightclub, bar and such at the time they committed the crime too. Nor could I speculate on what connections they could possibly have with the Liz or the Barrazas in general. Just my own thoughts or speculation on the perp’s background or what their clothing and timing for scouting the house before returning a few hours later could tell us about them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back