TX TX - Elizabeth Campbell, 20, Copperas Cove, 25 April 1988

I am not sure when was the last time I had posted anything in regards to my sister Elizabeth, or been on Websleuths. My family and I had a fearful moment of life’s challenge. My father had faced many battles of health issues. Luck and the Holy Father were on our side. My father is doing much better now and slowly few health issues still about are slowly healing. Last year, he faced an aneurysm and a “golf ball” size cancer in his kidney. The doctor told my dad if he did not have both surgeries less than three months, there was a chance he would not make it. The surgeries were done less than a month and half. For more than seven years, my father seemed to be battling some form of health issues to which I think we saw more of the doctors than our home. I hope this year is a better one for my dad, and the only reason he goes to the hospital is to his checkup appointments . . . nothing else.

My prayers are with you and your family Moonbug.

I saw this case on Unsolved Mysteries and I understand there were a few inconsistencies in the UM presentation but I have read the bio posted on web sleuths and I always had a theory about what may have happened.

Bare in mind it's a theory.

I think Elizabeth started walking home after her call home went unanswered.
I know I have done that when I was stranded without a ride and didn't want to wake my folks. Obviously if she was the type that was considerate as to not want to make long distance calls on the store phone, she wouldn't want to wake her parents and trouble them to pick her up.
Since it was dark and a bit isolated, is it possible that she could have been hit by a car while walking home in the darkness? Were the sides of the roads and nearby woods ever checked with cadaver dogs?

About her purse being found so far away from her last known whereabouts, it's possible that the people that hit her, tried to hide her body and collected her belongings and drove out of the area where the accident happened to offset investigation around the actual accident scene and body identification if it was ever found. I think they sporadically threw her stuff out of the window in a completely different location, so no one would get suspicious if her belongings started turning up, since it was in a completely different city where they would not have known too much about Elizabeth being missing.

22 years is a long time, and her parents have suffered for so long.
I hope this case can be solved soon so they can have peace.

It's slightly over 18 miles to drive 190 from Copperas Cove to Lampasas.

I've drove it many times. Even though it's dark and isolated, if she had been hit by a car she would have had to have been removed from the scene and taken and hidden. JMHO.

That particular area of TX is different from the rest of what is called Hill Country. The Killeen/Copperas Cove area out to Lampasas is more Prairie as opposed to hill country IMHO Although you will see small stands of trees a lot of the landscape is scrub and shorter trees and bushes. Just a memory.

Her belongings were found in Ozona TX, yes that town if off I-10 but it can be driven to from Lampasas area by backroads. In fact, directly by backroads but you really have to know where you are going. You would more than likely be familiar with the general area of Cen Tex.

http://blogs.discovery.com/criminal_report/2010/03/elizabeth-ann-campbell.html
Mar 5, 2010

David has blogged about her.

I think it's possible that there was a hit and run, but I think it's more likely that someone she knew or someone she didn't know---picked her up walking. She is more than likely located somewhere beyond CC all the way to before you get to Ozona. That's a lot of ground and many turn offs.

I lived in the Hood/Killeen/CC area for nine years. I am completely familiar with both 7/11's and CC. It has grown up significantly since 2001. The area driving towards Lampasas from the 7/11 in CC at that time would have been almost completely pitch black, with just widely spaced street lights only to a certain point, all businesses would have been closed at that time also. At the time of night that she was there, there would have been very very little traffic. Very little. Especially moving in the direction in which she needed to travel.

She needs to come home, she is missed, she is loved. JMHO.

I just re-read her profile on Doe Network. It says when her purse was found, her lipstick, hairbrush and keys were missing, but her credit card, social security card and driver's license were inside the purse. Doesn't that seem odd? I would think it would be the other way around. Who takes the personal items and leaves the cards that would identify her?

Bumping for Elizabeth...

My theory is, she was abducted by a serial predator. Has anyone been searching UIDs? That may help-just a thought. :)

I just saw this today on Unsolved Mysteries, very sad that it has not been solved yet. The only thing I couldn't believe was that Unsolved Mysteries never talked about the purse like the Doe Network. I would of thought a national show like that would of said something.

Do you think she was taken for a prostitution ring? From what I have seen and read its pretty likely.

From what I learned on Unsolved Mysteries, most times when young women are taken for prositution they loose all identity of themselves. So I can only assume they left all her personal belongings in the purse to start a new life for her. Not sure why they would take a comb, lipstick and keys. I mean if you wanted to keep things with her fingerprints on them you would keep everything right. Very strange. Also why would cops leave it sitting in a room for years before doing anything about it?

I just re-read her profile on Doe Network. It says when her purse was found, her lipstick, hairbrush and keys were missing, but her credit card, social security card and driver's license were inside the purse. Doesn't that seem odd? I would think it would be the other way around. Who takes the personal items and leaves the cards that would identify her?

I would like to clear up some thoughts/assumptions seen on Unsolved Mysteries or any other hear say. Patty Hearst's psychiatrist and several other missing/abducted victims weren't available to appear on the show.Unfortunately, the woman on the show was the only one available to appear on the show. This has mislead of all the possibilities of what all could have happened. Plus, somethings that was on the show weren't confirmed to be a solid lead since months had passed and memories of one had changed several times when questioned by different individuals. Plus, Unsolved Mysteries does their way to do more of an entertainment than factual information of the case. So, what you view might not be the full truth but few or so fabrications added.

I'm looking at google maps and trying to piece it all together, just to get an idea about what went on that night in 1988.
The first thing that comes to mind when I see how desolate it is, is what the hell was she thinking trying to walk this?

Police suspect she hitched a ride to get to the college, which is 6 miles from where the boyfriend's house was. From there, she was seen leaving the exit to the college, and the kid in the Gremlin picked her up. He then took her to what I assume to be the 7-11 on 190 in 2124 E Highway 190, Copperas Cove, TX.
That's where she made the last call from.
One thing we don't know is whether she just hung up the phone call to her mother on her own or if she got disconnected--pulled from the phone.

From the events of the night, she may have just hung up the phone herself because she didn't want to be a bother or because she figured she could hitch a ride home. The reason being, getting a ride to the 7-11 worked out fairly well, and it had the added effect of driving her boyfriend crazy.
If she could hitch all the way home, then he'd really start to worry what happened by the next morning. It would teach him a lesson, she thought.

So, rather than being pulled from the payphone at 7-11, maybe she just hung up the phone and started walking. She thought she'd figure something out later--either get a ride or something--or maybe somehow her boyfriend would show up at the last minute and pick her up (which is probably what she really wanted).

We don't know how far she walked from the 7-11 payphone. It's not totally desolate out there where she was last seen, but it was probably very quiet that night. Anyone could have picked her up, and no one would have even noticed. Just another hitchhiker. Most of the girls who pull a stunt like this end up safe and sound at home (and we never hear those stories), but there's bound to be one in 100,000 that ends up like this. The wrong person picked her up and while promising to take her home, ended up taking her on a major detour.

It seems the person decided to dump the purse with its ID in it. The purse was obviously put somewhere it could be found. Unfortunately, it's hard to speculate why this was done since we have no idea where (specifically) it was found, when, or who found it. Wonder if the person who took her was surprised the purse was never reported when the case was all over the news. Here, he left a huge clue and no one ever said anything about it.
The story was all over the news, and the police couldn't figure out that the ID in the purse was this girl everyone's talking about? What a bunch of retards.

There's a case where Bundy kidnapped a college girl and left evidence at a nearby parking lot--a shoe or something that came off her foot. He said the cops were all over the place that next morning but were looking in all the wrong places--focusing on a nearby park instead of the parking lot where his car had been (he asked for help putting things into his car, and the girl helped, and he took her by force at that time). So, the cops were crawling all over the place looking for this missing person, and her blasted shoe is sitting in a nearby parking lot unnoticed. Ted said he thought the jig was up. He actually went over and collected it himself that morning, and no one noticed a thing (he told this story in an interview).

The brush and lipstick were kept as untraceble souvenirs. And the keys...

How do you know that Elizabeth would have simply started walking if she thought her boyfriend was going to pick her up or simply hung up the phone and started walking to figure things out on how to get home? I know for sure if Elizabeth thought her boyfriend was coming to pick her up. She would have stayed at the 7-11 store since the workers there knew her and probably would think it was the best thing to do than being out in the coldness of the dark. If she couldn't get a hold of anyone at home, Elizabeth would have gone back into the store to call another 7-11 store where her and my other sister was working at and ask her to come and pick her up. Don't make assumptions when you don't know who the person you're writing about. I know her. I know Elizabeth. She is my sister.

I think Elizabeth is a victim of SK Robert Ben Rhoades, a Houston trucker.

He told a surviving victim he had kidnapped 15 women before her.

There are 4 known murdered victims, couples. All were picked up in Texas trying to hitchhike. Almost all were found in other states because he was a truck driver.

One of his male victims was found in OZONA right off I-10. Same small town Elizabeth's purse turned up. Said male victim's wife was eventually identified 13 years after her death, she was found in Utah. I would suggest looking for UIDs in Utah and branching out to the surrounding Western states. It sounds like he didn't do much to hide his victims. A thread was started on him today in the SK forum and I listed out a bunch of possible victims from Texas and right now Elizabeth sticks out the most to me. According to her doenetwork profile she was walking along the road, accepted a ride to the 7-11 by a classmate, and was "naive" and not in-tune with danger (I know her sister is here or was here, and I mean no disrespect by saying that, just following what her profile says). She tried calling her mom or brother (?) to pick her up but they didn't get to the phone in time. I think she was trying to hitch a ride home.

This SK is still alive and is being tried on some of the murders, which happened in the early 90s.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167280

Some articles

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ath-penalty-in-texas-20120329,0,6612427.story

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2010/dec/11/accused-killer-awaits-hearing/

Interesting theory and certainly possible. One of the articles either you posted or that I found suggested someone may have run into him in 1974 before he honed his skill and got away.
If true, then he told those girls he'd bury them in the desert and they'd never be found. So, he may have hid bodies - victims he liked - and dumped others when rushed. Hard to say. Sounds like Elizabeth could be anywhere in the nation, which means she may never be found. It is likely a truck driver did it though in any case because her purse was so far away. Not likely a local.

:bump: for Elizabeth, missing 25 years this month. :(

Snipped:

The next morning, when Campbell's parents couldn't find her, they attempted to report her missing. The police refused to accept a missing persons report until 72 hours had passed because Campbell was an adult. Her parents searched for her and investigated her disappearance on their own over the next three days.

AsycTjE.jpg

Elizabeth Ann Campbell

It has been now 25 years that my sister, Elizabeth, has been missing. There hasn't been much new developments on her case. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) has been posting Elizabeth's story and photos in various organizations throughout the United States. The family and I still believes that Elizabeth is somewhere out there alive, but she don't recognize her photo on the flyers posted in places or even here on the internet. The saying we had done in the beginning "Goal in Life: Never Give Up The Search For Elizabeth" is and will always be strong in our heart and mind.

This is a recent Age Progression done on Elizabeth might look like.

http://www.missingkids.com/photographs/NCMA959922e1.jpg

As we watch and read on the news medias that people are found alive, it gives my family and I more hope. When will happen take place for my family, Elizabeth, and I to be together again is another waiting game of unbearable hope when will it be.

Today, 31 May, is Elizabeth's 46 birthday. Happy Birthday, Elizabeth.

Love and Hugs

Attachments

• Elizabeth A Campbell (recent AP).jpg
    Elizabeth A Campbell (recent AP).jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 83
Hi Moonbug. My sympathies to you and your family what you've been going through over the past 25+ years.

I wonder how much credibility the family gave (if any) to the reported sightings of Elizabeth days after her disappearance, in the company of an Asian male? One witness said the man said something in a different language to Elizabeth, and she immediately lowered her head.

Being of Asian descent, did Elizabeth speak any language other than English? Was the story of the man speaking in another language to her an embellishment, or is it possible that it happened?

Thanks in advance. My thoughts are with you and your family, and I pray you get the answers you've been waiting for soon.

I am sorry I haven't been keeping updates or online here to inform what was going on or not. Since the 3rd investigator Lieutenant Austin had retired due to terminal illness, which eventually has taken his life . . . brain cancer. I have tried to work with the new investigator who had taken over Elizabeth's case. He has told me he was going to start from the night Elizabeth had disappeared to present day. I could never get a hold of him through calling and leaving either some voice-mails or emails. On February 7th, 2015, a cold case was active and two new Detective and Corporal had come to my parents' house and informed them that they will be handling Elizabeth's case. They have truly shown their words are authentic. They been going back from Day 1 and questioning everyone who was the last person who has seen Elizabeth that morning and night before she went missing. My family and I are finally happy that we are seeing results being done. On 1988 April 25th, we did not feel we were getting the provided help to find Elizabeth. All we were getting was more word of mouth and no actions. It is sad that in almost 27 years, three different times when Elizabeth’s case was handed over to a different investigator(s), they were doing the work which the 1st investigator never had done for years when he was in charge of my sister’s case. I pray that now we get results and answers soon. Mainly I pray that our mom and dad finally can have their daughter back home and all can begin to heal within.

ENDANGER MISSING ELIZABETH A CAMPBELL

LAST SEEN IN COPPERAS COVE, TEXAS ON HWY 190 AT 7-11 STORE

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: April 25, 1988 from Copperas Cove, Texas
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: May 31, 1967
Height and Weight: 5'2, 96 - 106 pounds

Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair, brown eyes. Campbell has one-inch horizontal scars under her chin and on her forehead near her hairline. She has a scar on her elbow and another small scar on her right eyebrow. She has a small mole in the center of her back between her shoulder blades, and a small birthmark on her right buttock. Campbell is right-handed. Her ears are double-pierced. Campbell can speak some Spanish and knows a few Korean words. She smoked Virginia Slims and/or Capri cigarettes at the time of her 1988 disappearance. Campbell wears eyeglasses or contact lenses for distance vision; her contacts were left at her family's residence on the day she vanished. She is of mixed Caucasian and Asian descent. Her nickname is Liz.

Clothing/Jewelry Description: A white t-shirt with a design imprinted on the front, blue jeans, blue jeans, white tennis shoes, a diamond Romance Wittnauer watch and a ten-karat gold ring with three imbedded sapphires in the center surrounded by two diamonds.
Medical Conditions: Campbell is allergic to cola beverages. She occasionally has problems with her sinuses.

Details of Disappearance

This has came from an interview from a reporter

It has been nearly 27 years since Elizabeth Ann Campbell, a student at Central Texas College in Killeen, Texas, vanished without a trace. Elizabeth's family has had to endure over two decades of waiting, wondering and hoping for answers.

At the time of her disappearance, Elizabeth was a 20-year-old student working at a local convenience store and living at home with her parents, Tom and Sam-Soon Campbell.

"Elizabeth is a sweet, kind person. She trusted everyone and wouldn't hurt anyone," Sam-Soon said in an interview with Investigation Discovery. "Every morning, she would give me a hug and kiss. Sometimes, if I was upset with her for something, she would give me many hugs and kisses until I would laugh and forget whatever I was upset about. If she was to go out with friends, Elizabeth would take me along. She wanted me to hang out with the girls and have fun. I still can remember her sweet smell and her gentle kisses and hugs."

On April 24, 1988, Elizabeth went to work at the 7-11 store on Rancier Avenue in Killeen. After completing her shift, she went to her boyfriend's house to study for final exams.

"While at the house of her boyfriend, the two of them got into an argument, and she told him she wanted to go home," Tom said. "For some reason, he didn't want to take her home at that time, and she told him she was leaving. Her boyfriend allowed her to step out in the dark streets at around 11 o'clock that Monday night about 30 miles from her home."

Elizabeth started to walk home, and roughly an hour later, after accepting a ride from another college student, she arrived at the 7-11 in Copperas Cove, roughly 17 miles from her home. Employees there recognized Elizabeth from the Killeen store and allowed her to use the phone. According to Tom, she called her boyfriend and asked him to come pick her up, but the call resulted in another argument, so she decided to call her brother. Not wanting to make a long-distance call on the convenience store phone, Elizabeth went outside to use a pay phone. A witness later reported seeing her on the phone around midnight, but what happened to her after that remains a mystery.

"The morning of April 25, 1988, I got up early and asked my granddaughter, who at the time was two years old, if Elizabeth was upstairs asleep. She said no," Sam-Soon said. "When my daughter Barbara woke up, I had her call Elizabeth's boyfriend. He said that Elizabeth had gone to her sister's house at the Central Texas College housing complex. Barbara asked how she got there, and he said she got a ride. Since my other daughter didn't have a phone, I had Barbara drive there. It is about 30 miles away. That's when we found out Elizabeth was missing."

Concerned for their daughter's welfare, Tom and Sam-Soon attempted to file a missing person report with police, but they were turned away.

"We were told, 'She isn't missing; you just don't know where she is,'" Tom said. "This same policewoman then remarked to another policewoman, 'We don't have time for hysterical parents.'"

Tom said that since Elizabeth was an adult, the police told them that they had to wait 72 hours to file a missing person report. Unwilling to wait for answers, Elizabeth's parents went to the 7-11 in Copperas Cove and spoke with the clerks there. One of them remembered seeing Elizabeth and told them that she had been dropped off at the store by a man driving a light green Gremlin.

"We spent the rest of the day looking for the light green Gremlin and found it in a parking lot on the Central Texas College campus," Tom said. "We watched it until the owner came out to it. We asked him about Elizabeth and were told that after working late in a computer lab on the campus, he had seen Elizabeth walking down the service road at the college exit and recognized her as a student at the college. He turned back and offered her a ride as far as he was going. He lived in Corpus Cove and let her out at the 7-11 convenience store in Copperas Cove. It was shortly after that that she was seen by the clerk at the pay phone outside the store."

Uncertain what to do next, Elizabeth's parents returned to the police station and eventually convinced them to accept the missing person report. Unfortunately, the case had already gone cold, and police were unable to determine what had happed to Elizabeth.

Desperate for answers, Elizabeth's parents sent a letter to John Walsh, which resulted in a short piece on "America's Most Wanted" in September 1989. A number of people called the show with leads, but nothing panned out. Continued efforts by her parents to keep the case alive resulted in Elizabeth's case appearing on the television show "Unsolved Mysteries." More tips came in, but, again, they led nowhere.

It would be another four years before a clue to her disappearance was found – some 250 miles away.

"Four years later, Elizabeth's purse was found in Ozona, Texas. It is off Interstate 10 in west Texas south of San Angelo," Sam-Soon said.

Unfortunately, the Crockett County Sheriff's Office was unable to say when or by whom the purse had been dropped off. No paperwork had been filed with it. The sheriff at the time, who is now deceased, estimated that it had been turned in sometime between April 1988 and January 1989.

Despite the passage of time, Elizabeth's family has never given up searching for her. They've written hundreds of letters to law enforcement agencies throughout Texas and have attempted to get coverage for her case whenever they can. Unfortunately, that is not always an easy task.

"For many years, I have begged the media to [tell] my daughter's story," Sam-Soon said. "They always tell me since I have no new leads and it is very old, they cannot do anything with it. To me, it feels like Elizabeth's life is not important to anyone. If they would just listen, maybe someone will hear about it and finally give us answers."

In addition to the difficulty in getting coverage for the case, Sam-Soon said she remains haunted by a dream she had ten years after her daughter went missing.

"I had a dream that Elizabeth was home," Sam-Soon said. "I kept telling Elizabeth I was dreaming and 'You aren't really here.'" She continued, "I asked, 'Where have you been?' Elizabeth couldn't remember who she was. She said she saw the flyers everywhere but didn't know that the picture on the flyer was she. Elizabeth told me when she was abducted a man shoved her into a car and she hit her head hard. That's when she lost her memories of who she was and everyone in her life. When I woke up, Elizabeth wasn't truly home as I had hoped. For weeks I cried, and I am still, all the years later, very upset about that dream."

Elizabeth's parent's are in their 70s today. Their health is failing, and they do not believe they will live much longer. As a result, they are desperate to know the truth before they pass on.

"I'm 75-years-old. I do not have much time to live," Sam-Soon said. "Tom has had three heart attacks, a tumor in his top left chamber of his heart, and a pacemaker put in. Now he has failing kidneys. The doctors informed us that one of his kidneys has a tumor. Please help us. I fear my husband may not have more time to live before he finds an answer to his question. Where is my child? Where is Elizabeth? Is she still alive somewhere and needs our help in escaping her captives? I truly hope this is not. Is she dead? If they killed Elizabeth, where is her body so we can put her into a proper resting place?

"Elizabeth would buy gifts for the family and hide them. She would buy them months in advance. We still have some, which we have never opened. We are waiting for Elizabeth to come home and give them to us to open."

Elizabeth Ann Campbell is described as an Asian female, 5' 2" tall, 106 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes. Anyone with information in this case is asked to contact the Copperas Cove Police Department at 254-547-8222."

At the time of Campbell had resided with her family members in Lampasas, Texas in 1988.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sorry I haven't been keeping updates or online here to inform what was going on or not. Since the 3rd investigator Lieutenant Austin had retired due to terminal illness, which eventually has taken his life . . . brain cancer. I have tried to work with the new investigator who had taken over Elizabeth's case. He has told me he was going to start from the night Elizabeth had disappeared to present day. I could never get a hold of him through calling and leaving either some voice-mails or emails. On February 7th, 2015, a cold case was active and two new Detective and Corporal had come to my parents' house and informed them that they will be handling Elizabeth's case. They have truly shown their words are authentic. They been going back from Day 1 and questioning everyone who was the last person who has seen Elizabeth that morning and night before she went missing. My family and I are finally happy that we are seeing results being done. On 1988 April 25th, we did not feel we were getting the provided help to find Elizabeth. All we were getting was more word of mouth and no actions. It is sad that in almost 27 years, three different times when Elizabeth’s case was handed over to a different investigator(s), they were doing the work which the 1st investigator never had done for years when he was in charge of my sister’s case. I pray that now we get results and answers soon. Mainly I pray that our mom and dad finally can have their daughter back home and all can begin to heal within.

ANYONE HAVING INFORMATION SHOULD CONTACT:

The National Center for the Missing & Exploited Children
www.missingkids.com

1-800-843-5678
(1 800-THE-LOST)

Detective Baker
Copperas Cove Police Department (Texas)
254-547-8222

Goal in Life of the Family:

"Never Give Up The Search For Elizabeth"

Sister of Elizabeth (MoonBug)

Elizabeth Campbell Endangered Missing.jpg Elizabeth A Campbell (recent AP).jpg