TX - Former President Bush Still Hospitalized

I wonder if that "bronchitis" like cough is actually heart failure? Seems to me like he may have the type of multi-system failure that occurs with aging out... I wouldn't want to die of old age in a hospital, I'm surprised he didn't go home for Christmas. But intensive care? Dorothy arrived today, I wonder if he'll take a slide tomorrow?

Who's going to take care of Babs?

:(

Sometimes all it takes is one thing to go bad and then the other systems take a dive too. You're right, he could very well be in heart failure.

I do hope he gets better, the family will be devastated if he doesn't.

Not sure quite what "on a liquid diet" might imply.

I was also wondering that.

Any medical guru here to chime in, or someone with family experience similar to this?

In keeping with the "I heard from someone who heard from someone else" - but a very valid source - that several people in his "community" are "quite" concerned. He is adored by those who work around him....

Just sad. Prayers going to him for a turnaround in his health.

My totally unprofessional guess is that they have put in a PIC line or a feeding tube, or simply that they are keeping him to a liquid diet, to prevent aspiration of food when he coughs while eating.

I know that is a high risk for pneumonia. Also, there is a battle between keeping the patient hydrated enough without flooding the lungs with more liquid.

Yep, just got some info that is disconcerting...we'll see if the media reports it today. Has to do with other people's schedules. I take the info I just got as not a good sign.

Remember at Thanksgiving time when they thought he'd be out by the weekend, which was a few days later? Now it's been over a month.

I'm just sad. I hope what has been reported, that he's still in good spirits, is true. I hope he's not really suffering too badly.

I heard the news about GHWB being in intensive care with high fever last night but had already shut down computer for the night. Headline again this morning when DH's alarm went off at 6:00. This is not sounding good for the former President; he's had a fever for about a month now.

A couple of weeks ago, Jenna Bush Hager announced that she is expecting the first Bush grandchild/great-grandchild in the spring. My thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Bush and his family.

Ex-President George H.W. Bush in intensive care

By RAMIT PLUSHNICK-MASTI, AP
2 hours ago

HOUSTON — Former President George H.W. Bush is being treated in the intensive care unit at a Houston hospital after suffering "a series of setbacks," including a stubborn fever, his spokesman said.

In a brief email Wednesday, Jim McGrath, Bush's spokesman in Houston, said the 88-year-old former leader had been admitted Sunday to the ICU at Methodist Hospital. McGrath said Bush, the oldest living former U.S. president, was alert and talking to medical staff.

He said doctors are cautiously optimistic about Bush's treatment and that the former president "remains in guarded condition." He said Bush was surrounded by family...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20121225/US.Bush.Hospitalized/?cid=hero_media

I hope angel is right and the liquid diet is due to choking/coughing issues, and is preventative, in that regard.

Because I'd hate for it to be an alternative, that certain vital organ systems are shutting down. Noooo.....

Hospital officials on Thursday declined to provide any update regarding former President George H.W. Bush’s condition, citing a desire by the family for privacy.
---
Hospital spokesman David Bricker would not say whether Bush was still in the intensive care unit Thursday. When the family decides that “events warrant” an update, a family spokesperson or the hospital will release more information, Bricker said.
---
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/...tal-condition-update-20121227,0,2610558.story

December 27th, 2012
11:01 AM ET
2 hours ago

Bush family confident ex-president will be released soon

Posted by
CNN Political Unit

Houston (CNN) - The family of George H.W. Bush expressed confidence Thursday that the former president will be released shortly from an intensive care unit at a Houston hospital, where he is being treated for an elevated fever.

Bush family spokesman Jim McGrath said Bush was moved into the ICU so hospital personnel could more easily keep tabs on his condition, and that his family members were fully confident in the medical staff treating him...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...ex-president-will-be-released-soon/?hpt=hp_t3

Well, our local news radio wbap just sent out and quickly retracted a statement saying that he had died. Here is the text of their trying to get that back -- doesn't look good for him though.

BREAKING NEWS:
A message erroneously reporting the death of President George H.W. Bush was sent out moments ago by WBAP News. Mr. Bush has not passed away. We sincerely apologize for this error.

December 27th, 2012
11:01 AM ET
2 hours ago

Bush family confident ex-president will be released soon

Posted by
CNN Political Unit

Houston (CNN) - The family of George H.W. Bush expressed confidence Thursday that the former president will be released shortly from an intensive care unit at a Houston hospital, where he is being treated for an elevated fever.

Bush family spokesman Jim McGrath said Bush was moved into the ICU so hospital personnel could more easily keep tabs on his condition, and that his family members were fully confident in the medical staff treating him...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...ex-president-will-be-released-soon/?hpt=hp_t3

I hope they have reason for their optimism.

Well, our local news radio wbap just sent out and quickly retracted a statement saying that he had died. Here is the text of their trying to get that back -- doesn't look good for him though.

BREAKING NEWS:
A message erroneously reporting the death of President George H.W. Bush was sent out moments ago by WBAP News. Mr. Bush has not passed away. We sincerely apologize for this error.

Oh boy.

:please:

It's an interesting study, this one, of family privacy versus the public's right to know. We're talking about an American president here, so of course, one might think, the public should be as informed as possible. But yesterday's announcement that President Bush was in the ICU also included the fact that he'd been in the ICU since Sunday.

It's an interesting study, this one, of family privacy versus the public's right to know. We're talking about an American president here, so of course, one might think, the public should be as informed as possible. But yesterday's announcement that President Bush was in the ICU also included the fact that he'd been in the ICU since Sunday.

If I had to "vote," LOL...I think the family's wishes should outweigh our need to know. I'd be inclined to give any family the privacy they desire in this type of situation. Especially for a former President. A sitting President's medical situation/competency would be more of a concern.

Hoping he really does get out of ICU soon, as the family spokesperson said.

If I had to "vote," LOL...I think the family's wishes should outweigh our need to know. I'd be inclined to give any family the privacy they desire in this type of situation. Especially for a former President. A sitting President's medical situation/competency would be more of a concern.

Hoping he really does get out of ICU soon, as the family spokesperson said.
Yeah, I can't quite come down on "need to know" at the expense of "family" either. Though I see no reason that the public cannot be given an official daily update on the condition of, after all, an American president. Never been a Bushie but presidents - I honor and respect, and would like to be informed. An update would not have to be especially detailed - more of a "let's keep in touch" type of thing.

Who was last to die? Was it RR? Anyone remember how that was handled, in terms of info to the public?

Yeah, I can't quite come down on "need to know" at the expense of "family" either. Though I see no reason that the public cannot be given an official daily update on the condition of, after all, an American president. Never been a Bushie but presidents - I honor and respect, and would like to be informed. An update would not have to be especially detailed - more of a "let's keep in touch" type of thing.

Who was last to die? Was it RR? Anyone remember how that was handled, in terms of info to the public?

Was it Gerald Ford? Not sure...

I don't think one has to be a Bushie, either - I'd hope people, like you, just respect and honor former Presidents. A lot of history there. And, I just look at him as a elderly man who is a husband, father, etc. Got a soft spot for him for some reason. I haven't visited his library in College Station, but I've taken my parents to Fredricksburg, TX and the Pacific War Museum - they've got a display and video of HW Bush in his Navy days and his rescue from the sea when he was shot down. Pretty amazing, really.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back