TX - Hailey Dunn, 13, Colorado City, 27 Dec 2010 - #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a 2.0 even a passing GPA? Sounds awfully low for men with loaded weapons.

In my southern states, wannabe LE can take a few courses at the community college to become officers. They do not have to have a college degree-- just certification that they have taken these courses. Most LE around here only have high school diplomas (according to my local LE friend).

That's what we call "passing by the skin of your teeth" or "the seat of your pants" here (Maine); Anything lower (than 2.0) would be considered academic probation.

"Wannabe officers" risk thier lives everyday and many are killed,they're only paid around $30,000 to $36,000 a year.A college education doesn't have anything to do with making a good officer,they go to an police academy for thier training.A college education doesn't make a man or a woman go into a violent situation risking thier lives to help people.

I think it merits clarifying even further....

Klaaskids sent Brad Dennis out as a search coordinator, LRC is there to aid as well. They did not send out search teams. LRC and Dennis are organizing the volunteers and helping them understand SAR basics. It is still volunteers who are searching that I know of.

That's my impression too. I posted a video downstairs. Y'all can see the searchers and the people instructing them about half-way through the video. The first part shows CD with the volunteers at the bridge.

I'm calling at lunch and ordering several pizzas. Thanks for this!!! It helps to be able to help, even all the way from Chicago. God speed searchers, God speed.

I think they are now looking for Saturday and Sunday. If anyone can help out, go to the thread (link below) and list what you can do, so Tricia can keep count.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125739"]TX TX - Friday Jan 21st Food/Volunteer Thread for Hailey Dunn Search - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I am really proud of WS for helping. Thanks!

Let me just take this chance to defend our "Mayberry USA" police force here in Colorado City. First, I agree the officer on the 911 call was out of line. He sounded aggravated and I can only imagine that he was at that point. And from what I can surmise, this wasn't a call with Billie on the line, it was a call from the dispatcher to the officer to let him know what was going on and to request assistance. BUT...he did respond to the call and took a report and did his job. Any contact I have had with our Police Department has been positive and professional. They are moms and dads too, and I know they have ALL taken Hailey's case to heart.

I wanted to add my :twocents:. I wasn't pleased with the 911 officer at all. Otherwise, I have the utmost faith in LE, I believe they will do everything they can to find Hailey and bring the perp to justice. Because this is a small town, there is going to be some overlap, people knowing people, and IMO, that makes it harder than dealing with strangers, and my heart goes out to the people in this town working this case, even that >unique person< city manager guy.

Not trying to derail the thread eh?

but before the other thread closed, I belive some one was asking( paraphrasing here) if texas police only needed a high school diploma to enter into the police force?

now this is houston texas, what they need to enter

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/ho...0</string></var></struct></data></wddxPacket>

"• Must have one of the following:
1. At least 48 semester hours of credit from an accredited college or university with at minimum of a 2.0 grade point average"

I dont know about cc tho eh?

but in houston they need more than a high school diploma..

okay, now let me get in where i fit in and catch up..

Im working from home office and taking calls and trying to read here at the same time...not easy for me when the phone keeps ringing, but thanking all of you for the links and keeping me in the loop

Great info, but the requirements in smaller cities are usually extremely minimal. I think that smaller departments would love to have applicants with some college or exceptional experience, but I would be shocked if they are able to pay competitively enough to require it.

A very good resource for small towns would be retired officers, since they would have good experience and probably a second income from a pension. Quite often they are forced to resort to hiring officers who have for one reason or another, been "let go" from larger departments. I have no links to prove this, so I can't quote it as fact. This is just what I know from having family and many friends and aquaintences working in LE, so--MOO!

I'm calling at lunch and ordering several pizzas. Thanks for this!!! It helps to be able to help, even all the way from Chicago. God speed searchers, God speed.

Quoting myself, just want to make sure i'm counted in. Friday looks filled, but put me down for 4 for Saturday. Thanks!

I know this is off this topic so I apologize if there is already a thread talking about this on WS. Just very awesome and had to share.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/alive_and_well_after_years_csPmfEkVeUXYgRUTbYbyLL

"A woman kidnapped as a baby from Harlem Hospital in 1987 -- abducted at 19 days old by a woman who had been lurking around the hospital for weeks wearing a nurse's uniform -- has been found alive and well."

In a way, I hope that the searchers won't be needed by the weekend...:(

Bringing over...

She originally said it was "already dark", according to Billie. Two weeks later, it changed to middle of the day. This doesn't help her regarding it being a credible sighting in LE"s eyes. MOO

All we know is that SOMEONE said they saw Hailey and a girl and boy about her age, walking after dark. No reason to think it was JB who made THAT claim. In order for this to be the same sighting, it was not only "moved" to an earlier time of day, but the other girl vanished, and the teenage boy became a second grader.

I wanted to add my :twocents:. I wasn't pleased with the 911 officer at all. Otherwise, I have the utmost faith in LE, I believe they will do everything they can to find Hailey and bring the perp to justice. Because this is a small town, there is going to be some overlap, people knowing people, and IMO, that makes it harder than dealing with strangers, and my heart goes out to the people in this town working this case, even that >unique person< city manager guy.

I agree. Regardless if he had been there twenty times during the course of the day, a threat to ones life had occured and each visit should have been approached with extreme caution that SA could have been onsite with the intent to harm. Does no good for an officer to arrive on scene with a relaxed type attitude.

I know this is off this topic so I apologize if there is already a thread talking about this on WS. Just very awesome and had to share.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/alive_and_well_after_years_csPmfEkVeUXYgRUTbYbyLL

"A woman kidnapped as a baby from Harlem Hospital in 1987 -- abducted at 19 days old by a woman who had been lurking around the hospital for weeks wearing a nurse's uniform -- has been found alive and well."

Here you go:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94183"]Found Alive NY - Carlina White, 3 weeks, Harlem, 4 Aug 1987 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

And thanks for sharing the good news. :)

That's what I was wondering,but I assumed they were hibernating in the house,I'd be freaked out if I saw them.I don't care if they're asleep or not.LOL

I'm a citified Texan, but I feel the need for some good cowboy boots coming on! Not my style, but rattlesnakes trump asthetic preference any day!

jumping off your post...

AND in the 911 calls BD said SA had been texting these threats. BD probably showed the officer the texts from her phone. I believe that is why they took SA "downtown" and eventually he admitted to threatening BD and Hailey. I also believe that this is all in the written report the officers prepared along with SA's signed statement. The proof has to be there - we just aren't privvy to seeing it. But that's JMHO

And I find it hard to believe that break up was about a debit card. She's sticking by him now when he's the main suspect in her daughter's disappearance but she broke up with him over some missing money from her bank account? :waitasec:

That break up was regarding CD, BD, HD and SA IMO. HD didn't want to live at home because of SA, CD was threatening to take her away from BD so she broke up with SA to appease CD and keep HD living in her home. That is why SA was angry enough at CD, BD and possibly HD to threaten their lives. He was blaming them all for ruining his with this breakup.

Why would he threaten CD and HD if they broke up because he stole money from BD? He would only threaten her IMO. What did CD have to do with it?

Edited to Add...I think the same type of scenario was playing out in December and SA knew what was coming again so he took matters into his own hands to eliminate the problem.

MOO

is a 2.0 even a passing gpa? Sounds awfully low for men with loaded weapons.

In my southern states, wannabe le can take a few courses at the community college to become officers. They do not have to have a college degree-- just certification that they have taken these courses. Most le around here only have high school diplomas (according to my local le friend).
4.0 = a
3.0 = b
2.0 = c
1.0 = d

All we know is that SOMEONE said they saw Hailey and a girl and boy about her age, walking after dark. No reason to think it was JB who made THAT of day. In order for this to be the same sighting, it was not only "moved" to an earlier time of day, but the other girl vanished, and the teenage boy became a second grader.

True. But seems like if there were two sightings of the same group of kids, it would have come out when the first one did -- and not just now. I think cz mentioned it early on that JB had told LE from the beginning. So I'm thinking it's the same person...? Could be wrong, though - but doesn't make sense, at least to me. MOO

Regarding this whole LE discussion, qualification and attitude are two different things. In my field, I work mostly with folks who all have advanced graduate degrees -- and I've seen that same attitude many times.

Just wanted to put that out there. ;)

(And I think LE is doing a good job here.)

ETA: And as far as this attitude being attributed to a small town LE, Phylicia Barnes' mother was told by LE in Baltimore that she watched 'too much TV' when she told them her daughter didn't run away.

"Wannabe officers" risk thier lives everyday and many are killed,they're only paid around $30,000 to $36,000 a year.A college education doesn't have anything to do with making a good officer,they go to an police academy for thier training.A college education doesn't make a man or a woman go into a violent situation risking thier lives to help people.

I'm sorry winterrose- I didn't mean to offend anyone with that. I said "wannabe LE" to refer to officers-in-training (I'll admit I liked the rhyme:). I agree that a college education does not determine the amount of risk you will take in protecting people... I was just pointing out that not all LE have a higher education. A higher education is in NO WAY correlated with whether or not someone is a wonderful human being. JMO.

I think SA is guilty--he seemed to enjoy the noteriety he was getting--he looked like he was actually having fun after he got used to being interviewed. He seems way too cocky to me about all of this, and I wouldn't be surprised if he handed her body off to a someone who's taken her far away from the area--like a 200 miles or more, and that this is why he was just bemused to see people searching the town for her.

With his interests, who knows what kind of sick people he's met online, who would want to help him get away with murder.

He has certainly had plenty of opportunity to do that, but JMO, I think he takes so much pleasure in being photographed playing with murder weapons, masks, and bloody dead things that he would keep her nearby...like a trophy.

If he did this and gets away with it, I think he is the type who will escalate, find another victim and start a collection of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NurseTM