TX - Hailey Dunn, 13, Colorado City, 27 Dec 2010 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Hailey be allowed to talk on a prepaid cell phone for over 1/2 an hour everyday? Wouldn't that be too expensive?
IDK if anybody's answered this, but the new prepaid phones work like a contract phone. We discontinued our contract, & got the straight talks from Wmart. For 45$ a month, you get unlimited calls, texts, & internet access. don't know how good the internet is, but my daughter uses it to check her fbook, etc...

It kind of bothers me that Hailey's brother is being quoted in and/or questioned by the media as he is a minor. However, maybe it is a positive thing as he is doing what he can and most likely wants to help in any way her can. My heart aches for him. Maybe I am just overprotective. My heart goes out to Hailey and her loved ones. This is really heartbreaking and I am so impressed with this community.

It does!

Older trail spreads out on ground as it settles? Fresher one more concentrated in a tighter close area.

So - much would depend on the dog handler reading dog's reactions or range of movement over a trail?

Yes, reading your dog is always a part of it. But, if a dog is used to training on certain age trails then that is going to have a big impact. For instance, the trails that you work to certify at entry level are only 2-4 hours old and a 1/2 to 1 mile long. Even the highest certification only requires a trail 24-30 hours old. The problem with this is that most of the time dogs are not called out for a MP in the first 2-4 hours. Heck, most of the time it's not even the first 24 hours. So.... you can see how handlers spend a ton of time training to pass a test to get certified and have been training on trails that are not real life times. Because scent and its behavior changes so much as the hours and days pass by these dogs haven't got a clue what to do with the scent they're finding cuz it's nothing like what they are used to.

I know that (often) NG has inaccuracies - but I've never heard anybody say that her show 'hindered' an investigation....I just don't imagine LE tuning in to run an investigation based on anything from her or her THs.

So does he think the investigation was hindered by NG's guest, i.e. BO?

If anything, after watching what happened with HaLeigh's case, NG's show shined a light on inaccuracies from her guests.

Sarx,

Thanks so much!! Yes, they were DEFINITELY termed 'bloodhounds'....never called SAR dogs that I can find.
They believed Hailey was a runaway for several days following her disappearance....sadly.
Do SAR dogs cost more to use or....why would LE use bloodhounds over SAR dogs?

So, in your estimation, 5 days after the fact, a bloodhound COULD find a scent for Hailey, but COULD NOT determine how recent that scent was...correct??

I may be totally behind, but it was reported on NG (maybe by MK) that the bloodhounds were borrowed from the airport.

Is this normal to have the mom there all day?
and no contact with family?

It's not that unusual - in the Kyron Horman case the parents have spent all day with LE before.

Often law enforcement will separate family members to get individual opinions and stories. They might be checking to see if stories of various family members match up. They might just be verifying phone numbers of friends.

Parents are usually so overwrought in a case like this and that can lead to confusion. I thought the poor mother sounded confused on Nancy Grace because she was so unclear about the daughter's friend and why she waited so long to announce that Hailey never made it to her house. There's some kind of disconnect there that makes my hinky-meter go off.

I think above all the police want to get the simple facts of the stories straight.

Lets see maybe it went like this...IDK Its JMO

SM was asked to take LDT

Local LE-SA refused
Texas Rangers- SA refused
FBI-SA refused

Sorry meant SA

That's what I think too. SA didn't take the poly because of the medication he was taking so realistically I didn't expect him to show up the next day ready to take the test. Until he's been off the medication for an extended period of time, he has a legitimate reason for refusing to take a poly and he will probably want a blood test before he takes the poly to ensure no traces of the medication is still in his system if he does go off his meds. JMO

Good Night WS. Time to turn in. Take myself to bed and say one last prayer for the day for HD. See everyone in the morning.

I may be totally behind, but it was reported on NG (maybe by MK) that the bloodhounds were borrowed from the airport.

Yeah, nobody seems to be sure where she got that info. from. I can't really think of what dogs at an airport would be cross trained for aged trails? It seems to be a rumor gone awry. There is also talk they were police K9, that they came from the prison, so I dunno!

Yes, reading your dog is always a part of it. But, if a dog is used to training on certain age trails then that is going to have a big impact. For instance, the trails that you work to certify at entry level are only 2-4 hours old and a 1/2 to 1 mile long. Even the highest certification only requires a trail 24-30 hours old. The problem with this is that most of the time dogs are not called out for a MP in the first 2-4 hours. Heck, most of the time it's not even the first 24 hours. So.... you can see how handlers spend a ton of time training to pass a test to get certified and have been training on trails that are not real life times. Because scent and its behavior changes so much as the hours and days pass by these dogs haven't got a clue what to do with the scent they're finding cuz it's nothing like what they are used to.

I think I understand....

We have a black German Shepherd. Big, tall, long guy @ 130 lbs. Nose always to the ground no matter where he is. When we have had a guest/visitor in the home - when he comes in he immediately will sniff the path they took around the house. LOL - very interesting to watch him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike