TX - Hailey Dunn, 13, Colorado City, 27 Dec 2010 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this might be a "pipe dream" but I have always thought about this. Why is there not television channel (national) that does nothing but show pictures/posters of missing children and also Amber Alerts. With all of the money people throw into "networks" such as the new "OWN" network, why can't there be a channel for missing/endangered children (or missing anyone for that matter). There could be a way for public donations too. I know I would donate occasionally and I know there are wealthy people that would be interested too. Perhaps people are under the impression no one would tune in, but I can be sure all WS folks would be watching.

As far as the moms not apparently knowing one another; i.e., BD and MB, I am embarrassed to admit that I have lived here for 25 years (yes 25) and we live on 5-1/2 acres of land. I do not know ANY of my immediately surrounding neighbors. When we first moved here, my daughter was in 2nd grade. Part of our property is in the city (only a small portion) and the rest in the county. Our daughter (my baby girl) went to county schools. The next door neighbor had several children (some adopted and some biological) and they went to city schools. My husband gets out and about more than myself and has actually worked on fence posts, etc., with the man next door but I am embarrassed to day I hve NEVER met his wife. They are the only family who has been here the whole 25 years we have been here. I used to joke about this one house across the road from our house (we cannot even see it from our house). I used to say I thought it was a home for the witness protection program because we never saw a family move in and we never saw them move out. It was rental property at the time, but now is owned by a family "apparently with two small children". My husband has met and spoken to the couple a few times down at the mailbox, but again, I have never met them. We live 1 mile from a grocery store. It is weird to think I probably pass these folks in there A LOT and never have known it.

We were very active in the "rest of the community" and know/knew many of my daughter's friends parents through school activities, etc.

I didn't mean it like that. I have been a small town/farmgirl my whole life and I know what you mean. Lived the last place I lived for 15 years and only knew some of the neighbors enough to just wave at them as we passed one another.

I meant the fact that I knew my kids' best friends and, even if I didn't know their parents well, I would probably refer to that mom by her name or as "Jimmy's mom" or something like that...rather than referring to my son's best buddy as...'that boy'. That's what I was talking about.

Well, this might be a "pipe dream" but I have always thought about this. Why is there not television channel (national) that does nothing but show pictures/posters of missing children and also Amber Alerts. With all of the money people throw into "networks" such as the new "OWN" network, why can't there be a channel for missing/endangered children (or missing anyone for that matter). There could be a way for public donations too. I know I would donate occasionally and I know there are wealthy people that would be interested too. Perhaps people are under the impression no one would tune in, but I can be sure all WS folks would be watching.

At the rate children are missing, they most definitely need their own channel. Right now (as I see it), we have HLN, NG, and JVM that cover only high profile cases -- what about the rest of the missing?

Maybe I'll send a letter to Oprah!

MOO

Mel

Neither MB nor her mother was aware of sleepover plans, mothers did not know one another. SA was the only one to bring up MB, right? Could this simply be a fabrication by him? Maybe he heard Hailey mention MB's name at some point. Then upon Hailey's disappearance, he just recalled the name MB and said Hailey was planning to go there?

Seems like some billionaire could start a 24-hr channel as suggested above, that just continually shows info on missing kids/adults...probably be a tax write-off anyway.

Any word on the 10AM supposed update from LE? Isn't it 10AM there?

We need more than a channel. Just seeing the interviews of the searchers and what this experience is doing to them is proof positive that preventive measures need to be put in place. Immediate response, parent accountability, neighborhood accountability.

Come on Sparky - let's have an update:

Attachments

• Sparky Dean.png
    Sparky Dean.png
    162.2 KB · Views: 34
I didn't mean it like that. I have been a small town/farmgirl my whole life and I know what you mean. Lived the last place I lived for 15 years and only knew some of the neighbors enough to just wave at them as we passed one another.

I meant the fact that I knew my kids' best friends and, even if I didn't know their parents well, I would probably refer to that mom by her name or as "Jimmy's mom" or something like that...rather than referring to my son's best buddy as...'that boy'. That's what I was talking about.

Yes, I do know what you are saying. I admire you for venturing out and meeting some of your neighbors now. Come to think of it, I was pretty overprotective too. One of my daughter's best friends mom babysat for me while I was working at the hospital M-F. They were on a little rec club cheerleading squad and that was a Godsend as a way for us to meet the parents of her friends. One mom was actually the cheerleading coach and we had just moved in when I put my daughter into that little squad. They were in a lot of competitions, etc. and in winter they practiced in the school gym in the evenings. I would never just drop her off but I always stayed for the entire practices. A lot of moms and dads just dropped them off and came back later, for whatever reason (maybe they were more familiar with the neighborhood, etc. or maybe they had other children in other activities. I guess you are right, I would have referred to them as "Christy and Cathy's mom, Jan", and not "those little girls or that mom. But everyone is different and I do not read anything into what BD says right now as she is so distraught.

Well, this might be a "pipe dream" but I have always thought about this. Why is there not television channel (national) that does nothing but show pictures/posters of missing children and also Amber Alerts. With all of the money people throw into "networks" such as the new "OWN" network, why can't there be a channel for missing/endangered children (or missing anyone for that matter). There could be a way for public donations too. I know I would donate occasionally and I know there are wealthy people that would be interested too. Perhaps people are under the impression no one would tune in, but I can be sure all WS folks would be watching.[/QUO

I live in a small country town outside of a pretty decent sized city, living in the country we cannot get cable tv, we use Bell Satalite and we have an Amber Alert Channel, it is amazing... Luckily we have only seen a few missing that have been found and brought home.

Off Topic...Maybe a parenting channel!!! that would scroll by state the missing children and have public service announcements with pictures instead of commercials.

There is an informal group from Abilene who posted on a newspaper comment section that they would meet at Sam's Club parking lot this morning to head out to search. I did not go for several reasons:

1) The citizen search apparently allows anyone with no ID, background check, training or knowledge of what to look for and how to avoid contaminating, documenting or missing anything.

2) If they find anything, I doubt you could get a real person on the phone to have professionals come out and collect it.

3) Surely Texas Rangers would prefer a professional organization such as Equisearch to be organizing the searchers if they thought Hailey was out there. Tim Miller requires ID. Does not allow sex offenders to participate and instructs everyone on safety and how to avoid contaminating evidence. An experienced Equisearch volunteer leads each small group to an assigned grid area.

I commend everyone who is out there looking for Hailey! I am sure that the citizens would have preferred to have some instruction, organization and leadership from someone who has done this over and over for years.

As it is, ordinary folks have had to step up to the plate and lead a missing child field search for the very first time. Any defense attorney will be able to have whatever they find thrown right out of court. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry will have had their footprints and DNA all over Mitchell County by the end of the day, with no reliable record or proof of who went where.

It's not the citizens' fault...someone has to do it!

I have thought of this before too! Wish it would/could happen!

We are expecting rain & snow in the DFW area tomorrow (Sunday) coming in from the west. Any locals know the forecast for when this front will hit C City?

It shows beginning northeast of C City and sweeping across the south. At this time it is not suppose to hit C City. Day time temps in C City for the next 10 days are in the 50's-60's with a couple of days in high 40's. Night temps in 30's except a couple of nights it will drop to 19-23.

So no new details, that was the 10AM update? :(

We need a change in this nation in regards to the accountability of parents and neighborhoods.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I don't need or want anyone telling me how to be a parent to my children. And I don't think the outcome of this case would be any different, other than maybe BD realizing something was wrong on Monday instead of Tuesday. I also don't believe people on here realize what life is like in a small West Texas town. Its different, and that doesn't always translate into bad parenting or poor judgment. JMO

I'd like to see small towns who have several firestations have a siren system that would alert their residents when a child goes missing so the folks can "stop, look, and listen".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonleblanc061975@gmail.