TX TX - Houston, Peach St, BlkFem 20-35, 475UFTX, 4-Inch Afro, space b/w top front incisors, Aug'81

I just spent another 2 bucks and got two Birmingham addresses, two phone numbers, and a Washington DC address for John. Hopefully, one of them is good. WTH, I spend more than that for a bran muffin and an ice tea each morning.

Carl - if you keep working on finding a family member, I will see what I can do about getting a DNA kit to the family to get famial DNA in Codis. One of our mods - Believe09 - works this angle. I'm going to link her to this thread and let her know you need some help with this.

You guys are doing great work! And this does look like it has strong potential for a match.

Salem

Bingo

I got ahold of John Lee Pollard by telephone, and he is the brother of Naomi.

I talked with him for about a half-hour, and explained to him the details of what we had to this point.

He says that about a year or two ago, he had contacted the Cedar Rapids PD to try to get closure on this case. He had also been touch with an attorney to have her declared dead if he was unable to get resolution from CRPD. Their mother, who passed away last year, did not want to have Naomi declared dead because she had always held out hope that Naomi would come back home someday. Now that the mother has passed, he is very interested in obtaining closure.

Needless to say, he was surprised that CRPD says that they are unable to locate him. The family has owned the same home in Birmingham for 55 years. They had been in touch with him several years ago regarding a UID that they wanted to compare to Naomi.

In addition to the brother Lorenzo (who lives in Atlanta), he also has a twin brother named Billy George, and there are three other siblings who are now deceased. There are no other sisters.

I explained to him that it was my understanding that any relative (male or female) can be tested for DNA, as long as the relative is connected to the person by a continuous chain of females. Since they share the same mother, the DNA comparison would be valid.

I provided him with the telephone number of Melanie Schramm of the Texas Dept of Public Safety, and he will contact them on Monday. I also told him that I would see what I could do on our side to facilitate this process.

Believe09 and Salem: Check your PM inboxes, and I will give you his telephone number. If you know how to deal with this, he is very open to hearing from you.

Bingo

I got ahold of John Lee Pollard by telephone, and he is the brother of Naomi.

I talked with him for about a half-hour, and explained to him the details of what we had to this point.

He says that about a year or two he had contacted the Cedar Rapids PD to try to get closure on this case. He had also been touch with an attorney to have her declared dead if he was unable to get resolution from CRPD. Their mother passed away last year, and did not want to have her declared dead because she had always held out hope that Naomi would come back home someday. Now that the mother has passed, he is very interested in obtaining closure.

Needless to say, he was surprised that CRPD says that they are unable to locate him. The family has owned the same home in Birmingham for 55 years. They had been in touch with him several years ago regarding a UID that they wanted to compare to Naomi.

In addition to the brother Lorenzo (who lives in Atlanta), he also has a twin brother named Billy George, and there are three other siblings who are now deceased. There are no other sisters.

I explained to him that it was my understanding that any relative (male or female) can be tested for DNA, as long as the relative is connected to the person by a continuous chain of females. Since they share the same mother, the DNA comparison would be valid.

I provided him with the telephone number of Melanie Schramm of the Texas Dept of Public Safety, and he will contact them on Monday. I also told him that I would see what I could do on our side to facilitate this process.

Believe09 and Salem: Check your PM inboxes, and I will give you his telephone number. If you know how to deal with this, he is very open to hearing from you.

Hi Carl-I just signed on. A FRS (family reference sample) can be requested here:
http://www.unthumanid.org/Forensics/Initiative/Information.cfm

It is free and processed free of charge. Law Enforcement has to call or email for the kit and then the family will be processed on site with their local PD. Mitochondrial DNA is passed down through the mother, so brothers will have some mTDNA that is relevant-the more samples that can be provided close to the missing person, the better the result at the lab for comparison purposes. So ANY one related to the missing person needs to be swabbed, but particularly female relatives can be helpful. Cousins, aunts, grandmothers....as long as they are biologically related.

LE for the MP case can get multiple kits and have them sent to PD that is closer to the relatives...let me know where I can help. Want me to call LE for the MP case? The brother??

Wow, most excellent work, Carl!

I agree! Isn't Carl just awesome! I'm also glad Salem put him in contact with believe09.... she's good with that stuff too!

Great job chasing this one down Carl! TY!!!!!!!!!

Carl, when you spoke with Naomi's brother, did you ask him about dental records? It would be so much faster than DNA....

Carl, when you spoke with Naomi's brother, did you ask him about dental records? It would be so much faster than DNA....

No, I didn't. He may have mentioned something about having given all of that to CRPD a long time ago, but I don't remember for sure.

Based on Salem's comments, I did tell him that you may be calling him with instructions, and I sent you a PM with his telephone number and address. If you do call him, that would be a good question to ask him while you have him on the phone. If you prefer not to call him, we can either let him get his instructions from TX-DPS when he calls Melanie Schramm on Monday, or I can call him again with instructions. But I will need to be clear on exactly what the instructions are.

Hi Carl-I just signed on. A FRS (family reference sample) can be requested here:
http://www.unthumanid.org/Forensics/Initiative/Information.cfm

It is free and processed free of charge. Law Enforcement has to call or email for the kit and then the family will be processed on site with their local PD. Mitochondrial DNA is passed down through the mother, so brothers will have some mTDNA that is relevant-the more samples that can be provided close to the missing person, the better the result at the lab for comparison purposes. So ANY one related to the missing person needs to be swabbed, but particularly female relatives can be helpful. Cousins, aunts, grandmothers....as long as they are biologically related.

LE for the MP case can get multiple kits and have them sent to PD that is closer to the relatives...let me know where I can help. Want me to call LE for the MP case? The brother??

It looks to me, after reading believe09's link that Cedar Rapids LE will need to request the kit and have the kit sent to John's local PD for processing. So.... we need to get back in touch with the woman at Cedar Rapids LE and let her know that there really is a lot more she can do to help solve this cold case. AND the first thing she should do is request a DNA kit and have it sent to John's local PD.

John should contact his local PD and let them know he is trying to get Cedar Rapids to request a DNA kit and have it forwarded to the local PD so that John can submit his DNA (and any other family members willing to submit DNA samples). John should make nice with one of his local LE officers so that they will help him put the pressure on Cedar Rapids to get this done. The officer can let Cedar Rapids know s/he is standing by to get John's DNA.

BUT first and foremost is to get an answer to the dental records for Naomi. As believe09 said - much, much faster. If John gave them to Cedar Rapids, John needs to put some pressure on Cedar Rapids to find them!

Salem

A lovely group of people for sure, and I thank Carl for finding them.

This is what we agreed to:
1.) I will call Cedar Rapids tomorrow and get the detective to order the FRS kits for Naomi's case.
2.) I will provide the contact info for the family to detectives with their permission to detectives for follow up.
3.) I will follow up with the family at the end of the week to check in and make sure Cedar Rapids had made contact.

I did not mention UID candidates-the way I usually handle contacts like this is to say that we need the FRS so that in the event we encounter a person who cannot speak for themselves, we have a means of identifying them. I also asked him to be on the lookout for dental records, fingerprint records, baby teeth, xrays or medical records of any kind that we could use for the same purpose.

Interesting to note: 3 years ago, Cedar Rapids called and asked them to provide FRS samples, and the family said no. This is not uncommon folks-religious reasons or sometimes basic mistrust of law enforcement can trigger that response. I explained to one of Naomi's brothers that as long as there was a maternal connection, any of their family members can provide swabs...it does not have to be a sibling. It could be an aunt, grandmother, niece, nephew...but the more the merrier to get the best result. He was relieved to hear this.

I like Carl's candidate a lot. I would like to see Naomi go home to the family who misses her. One of her brothers was the one who found her car.

I will follow up with what I hear from PD tomorrow!!!

No, I didn't. He may have mentioned something about having given all of that to CRPD a long time ago, but I don't remember for sure.

Based on Salem's comments, I did tell him that you may be calling him with instructions, and I sent you a PM with his telephone number and address. If you do call him, that would be a good question to ask him while you have him on the phone. If you prefer not to call him, we can either let him get his instructions from TX-DPS when he calls Melanie Schramm on Monday, or I can call him again with instructions. But I will need to be clear on exactly what the instructions are.

BBM. I just read this-I had to laugh...you dont know me, but I never mind calling...I have had a missing loved on in my life since the late 1970's-her family keeps her room just the same after all of these years. I know what these people are going through and it is a privilege to help. :blushing:

BBM. I just read this-I had to laugh...you dont know me, but I never mind calling...I have had a missing loved on in my life since the late 1970's-her family keeps her room just the same after all of these years. I know what these people are going through and it is a privilege to help. :blushing:

I figured that you would, but Salem was speaking for you and you had not actually spoken for yourself at that point. I didn't want to presume that you had agreed to call him before you had spoken for yourself.

I had to leave a message for the detective working on Naomi's case. I will let you know once I speak with him!!!

Update on the progress:

Yesterday, I received a reply from Commander in Charge of Criminal Investigations at CRPD to the e-mail I sent to them (See Link Below)

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Submitted IA - Missing in Iowa - Houston unidentified

I won't post all of the details of his reply, but essentially he indicated that (1) they had no record of ever being contacted by the Iowa MPIC regarding my tip, and (2) that he wasn't sure if he would be able to find any living relatives after all this time.

I replied that since my earlier message to him, that we had made contact with family members, and that they were willing to submit DNA reference samples. I provided him with the Pollard family's contact info and asked him if he or someone from their department would be willing to work with the Pollard family to secure and process these DNA reference samples.

He replied that one of his people will "make contacts next week".

I then contacted John Pollard and told him to expect calls from CRPD next week, and after a week or two, if he had still not heard from them, he should contact either Believe09 or me.

Hopefully, CRPD will now move the process forward from here, but I will stay on top of it from time to time to make sure that they don't let this go unresolved.

Nice work to everyone making this happen!

I send him an email with the links to the UID, the contact info for the family and a link to where to order the FRS kits. He was a really nice guy-he is going to check Naomi's file for a fingerprint card in the event that one is available...it would be a much quicker rule in/out.

I just found the NamUs file on this UID. I remember looking for it before and not finding it.

https://identifyus.org/cases/4620

One thing caught my attention. In the dental comments, it says the following:

Diastema (space) between upper central incisors (#8 and 9).

It's hard to tell for sure, but it doesn't appear that there is a gap between Naomi's upper front teeth (8 and 9). There might be, but the photo is not clear enough.

The only other things that weren't already indicated elsewhere is that the UID was found naked and wrapped in a fitted bedsheet, and a tube sock was wrapped around her neck. It does not indicate if the tube sock was outside of the sheet to keep it secured around the body, or if it was inside the sheet (which would suggest that she was strangled).

Also, it indicates that the body was found on the 10000 block of Peach Street in Houston by a passer-by (See Google Map at link below).

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=10000...242,-95.343475&spn=0.346737,0.523224&t=h&z=11

anything ever come of this Carl?

No. I've been unable to get ahold of Naomi's brother (i.e., the one that I've been talking to), and the Cedar Rapids PD is not willing to discuss. I've also called TX-DPS to find out whether the family ever submitted the DNA FRS kits, and they don't know.

There's nowhere else I can go with this one.

Carlk'

You did a great job and you did all you could. You got the baton to the two agencies as well as family in this case. Not much more we can do on our end. Hopefully the three are continuing to work this possible match and we may or may not see a match or a rule out sometime in the future.

Thanks for you all and everyone did on this possible match. If it is not a match, hopefully Naomi's family has dna submitted so if her remains are ever found they won't remain unidentified.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie
Back