GUILTY TX - Jaime Melgar, 52, slain in staged home invasion, Houston, 23 Dec 2012

:bedtime::bedtime: How do you call for help if you are tyied up and gagged???

Just asking!

Eh, I've been searching and apparently it is not at all uncommon to tie someone up and put them in a closet during a burglary. The ones I read all got out alive (eventually).

So I can see this being true. They are getting ready for bed, brushing their teeth. Burglars come up and whack them on the head so they can tie them up. Husband runs into another room, but does get caught at some point. Each burglar ties up one victim and sticks each in the nearest closet.

Later, something happens that makes one of the burglars stab the husband. Maybe the burglar's mask fell down on his face or something? Maybe he's just really a murderer starting out and wanted to finish it off while he had the chance :(

But I can see it being true. Two closets is weird but not that weird, imho.

In looking for updates on this I found this article, want peeps to see and read another way to get you to open the door. We like to think that "our" kids won't fall prey to the kindness of evil does yet we as adults fall for the kindness of evil doers.

bbm

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/humb...cle_0acb6cea-cb95-5773-b9d4-b0b673b6c3fd.html

According to Lieutenant Escobar, “During this investigation, it appears that the suspects in order to have the victim open her front door, claimed they were just letting her know that someone had damaged her parked vehicle’s rear window.

What is one to do?

What is one to do?

It's scary. I usually open the door when somebody knocks on it, if I see them wearing some sort of uniform. Usually all I get is the people trying to sell me "savings" on utilities. But I suppose anybody could easily get hold of some sort of uniform and clipboard.

This is why I'll always have a couple dogs.

Curious what evidence came up after a year and a half to lead to her arrest. No surprise, however. Home invasion perpetrators wouldn't have left a "live witness" (or valuables) in my opinion so the story never did make much sense, including separating the couple, stabbing him (instead of using a gun) and leaving her unharmed, etc.

MOO

Curious what evidence came up after a year and a half to lead to her arrest. No surprise, however. Home invasion perpetrators wouldn't have left a "live witness" (or valuables) in my opinion so the story never did make much sense, including separating the couple, stabbing him (instead of using a gun) and leaving her unharmed, etc.

MOO
Wonder if she had a boyfriend and they have been keeping it hidden. Then after about a year they thought it would be o.k. to come out. JMOO

of course she did

~sigh~

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/...lice-victim-now-charged-with-husbands-murder/

A Harris County grand jury indicted Sandra Melgar for murder last month. Citing the ongoing investigation, representatives from the Harris County Sheriff's Department declined to elaborate on the case.

Sandra, who has since moved from Houston to College Station, spent just one day in jail before her bond was cut in half from $100,000 to $50,000. She was released on bail and is due back in court on Aug. 14.

Houston woman accused of killing husband, staging home invasion begins trial

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-woman-accused-of-killing-husband-staging-11734905.php

Sandra Melgar is accused of staging a home invasion and tying herself up in a closet in her northwest Harris County home to be discovered by friends arriving for a party the next day.

Prosecutors believe she was trying to cover up the fatal stabbing of her husband of 32 years.

The trial, in state District Judge Kelli Johnson's court, is expected to begin with jury selection Monday and continue through the week.

Widow on trial for murder breaks down at seeing photos of dead husband

Attorney Mac Secrest said two Harris County sheriff's detectives interrogated Sandra Melgar while she was hysterical after the death of her husband, then taunted her for not helping him as he was being brutally stabbed.

"These two detectives made up their minds within two hours of getting to the scene," Secrest told jurors. "Then they marshaled the evidence around their theory."

Prosecutor Colleen Barnett told the jury that Sandra Melgar came under suspicion after she gave conflicting accounts of what happened that night as her story "evolved" while talking to police.

"I don't know that I have motive here, but there's no way anything else happened," Barnett told jurors. "She just brutally murdered her husband."

Police recreate how murder suspect may have staged home invasion

A crime scene reenactment video from December 2012 played for jurors shows officer Anthony McConnell positioning a pillow sham underneath the legs of a chair, and then pulling the sham underneath the door from inside the closet to wedge the chair against the door from the outside.

During testimony, McConell said that the theory arose after seeing a part of the pillow sham torn down the middle. During his reenactment, he said the sham similarly tore in the same place in the door frame.

CSI investigator grilled in trial of woman accused of killing husband, staging home invasion

The investigator's photos and his testimony about how the Harris County Sheriff's Office handled the murder case has become the major point of contention in the murder trial against Melgar's widow.

Defense attorney Mac Secrest has argued in court filings that investigators failed to properly process the evidence, including a bloody fingerprint found on a safe in the closet. The fingerprint was never tested as a latent print or for DNA.

The print is visible in crime scene photographs, but sheriff's investigator Maurice Carpenter testified Wednesday that there was not a testable fingerprint on the safe.

New allegations surface in case of wife accused of killing husband

Jury deliberating in murder trial of Houston wife accused of stabbing husband

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Jury-deliberating-in-murder-trial-of-Houston-wife-11950857.php

"Sandy Melgar got sucked into this by a couple of cowboys who came up with some theories and game over," defense attorney Mac Secrest told jurors in closing arguments of the three-week murder trial. "Where are the real killers? Are we going to see them in the courtroom anytime soon? I wouldn't bet on it."

"There's no physical evidence that points to her at all," Secrest said, explaining that Jaime Melgar was stabbed and beaten about the head and body. "No broken nails, no problems with her hands, no bruising of the hands."

Prosecutor Colleen Barnett said Melgar was motivated to kill her husband and stage a break-in for a $500,000 life insurance policy.

Sandra Melgar guilty of killing husband, faking home invasion on Houston couple's anniversary night

A Harris County jury Wednesday convicted Sandra Melgar of murder in the 2012 stabbing death of her husband Jaime Melgar.

Sandra Melgar slumped forward, put her hands over her face and let out a howl as the judge read the verdict late Wednesday.

Family and friends in the courtroom let out shrieks, covered their faces and began to cry.

Woman gets 27 years in stabbing death of husband

A Houston woman convicted of brutally stabbing her husband and then staging an elaborate home invasion to cover up the crime was sentenced Thursday to 27 years in prison and fined $10,000.

Hours after the jury's decision was handed down, however, Sandra Melgar's attorney continued to protest that she is not guilty.

Melgar could have faced up to life in prison. She will be eligible for parole after she serves 13 years and six months, or half of the prison sentence. There is no requirement that she pay the fine.

Houston woman convicted of killing husband in staged home invasion expected back in court

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Houston-woman-convicted-of-killing-husband-in-12300142.php

A Houston woman sentenced earlier this year to 27 years in prison for fatally stabbing her husband in a staged home invasion is expected back in court Tuesday as her lawyers argue that she deserves a new trial.

A juror said "that many of the jury members had tied themselves up to see if it was possible to get loose from the bindings," according to an affidavit from one of Melgar's lawyers, Allison Secrest. The juror also told them that the jury had done a demonstration leading to a female juror being tied up and rolling around on the floor to figure out how long it would take to get untied.

The contention is a shocking because jurors in every criminal trial are cautioned from the moment they are empaneled to not conduct their own investigations or experiments.

The juror who was tied up later said she was concerned about how hard the deliberations were and said "only God knows who is guilty and what happened."

Ive heard of people tying themselves up but the injuries she sustained is dependent on whether they r self inflicted or not. And there was a chair wedged against the doorknob on outside too and prosecutors had video showing it could be done but i think all thats a bit much for a couple married 32 happy years🙄🤷*♀️

Yea prosecutors saying thats why she killed hubby because they dont believe in divorce so she killed thr guy married to for 32 years so she coukd still hang out with her JW friends.🤷*♀️

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sally43
Back