TX TX - Julie Moseley, 9, Mary Trlica, 17, Lisa Wilson, 14, Fort Worth, 23 Dec 1974 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in Fort Worth and am the same age Rachel would have been, so I've always been interested in this case.

The letter arrived in the mail box early the next morning, almost too quickly to have been delivered by the USPS. It was the only thing in the box. I have never heard if there was more mail delivered at the house later that day. It did have a postmark and police have determined it was mailed from Fort Worth. It arrived too quickly to be a cruel hoax, but could have been written by the perpetrator, or Rachel could have been forced to write it. One source indicates it was written by a right handed person and Rachel was left handed, but tests were inconclusive. It addressed her husband as Thomas even though she called him Tommy, and, if written by Rachel, could have been used to signal distress. I don't think Rachel wrote it of her own free will. If two girls decide to split for Houston for the weekend, would they really take a 9 year old girl with them? And obviously they were with someone else, because of course if they went by themselves, they would have taken their own car. They were with someone else, and the letter was written to make it look like they were with that person by choice, and yet Rachel did not name the person or even say they went with someone else. "We (as in, the three of us) went to Houston".

But the bottom line is, why does Rusty Arnold think his sister Debra wrote the letter? Okay, Debra went out with Tommy before Tommy and Rachel got married. So Debra wakes up one morning and decides to kill Rachel and two other people? She picks them up at the mall, takes them off and kills them, and there's no evidence to be found? An 18 year old girl?

In a radio interview, which can be found on his website, Rusty says Debra took a polygraph which indicates she may have had knowledge of what happened that day. He gives no details. Why not? How do we know this is true and not simply his interpretation? To my knowledge, the finding that Debra failed the polygraph was never reported in the papers, or apparently further investigated by police.

Rusty believes that Rachel is still alive, is being kept away by unseen forces, and that she visits Fort Worth every Christmas. What does he base this belief on? He has never said. I'd be curious to know.

The police have said the girls probably left with someone they trusted. A witness came forward and said he saw the three girls in a mall security truck, with the security guard, at about 11 pm. I have problems with this. The mall would have been long closed even at Christmastime, and if the girls had car problems or any other problems other than being abducted, they would have called their parents or Rachel's husband hours earlier; they were expected home by dark.

This case has torn the families involved apart and it is very sad. I understand they need some closure but I think Rusty needs to accept that his sister is gone.

I'm from the Metroplex and remember this case well. Seems to me a few people connected to this case aren't telling all they know. Why not? And why did that first PI have all his records pertaining to the case destroyed? What did he find out that he didn't want anyone else to know? Sure would like to see this one solved.

Bumping for the 3 girls. It will be 32 years that they have been gone.

Bumping this again. Someone knows something. Someone has information on this and they are thinking about this case right now. Please come forward.

Thanks for bumping this up. This is the first time I've read about this case. I keep coming back to the fact that this happened right before Christmas, and earlier in the thread it was being compared to another case where two girls disappeared right before Easter. Could there be some sort of cult involved? I know it may sound far fetched but we don't have much to go on here.

*bump*

No new info on this? Looking back at my cult idea it seems kind of silly. Could just be that people tend to go to malls a lot during the holidays.

I think the first P.I knew something and he was getting too close for comfort (for somebody involved in this case) I doubt he commited suicide and asked for his records to be destroyed. I think it was made to look like that. I think it was somebody right there that did something to those 3 girls. I also think it's very strange that the brother claims he has had contact from somebody IF that is the case then he knows what happened

What happened to the security guard that was at the mall? Or guards? Did any of them go on to be police officers?

Richard Said:

"Many well publicized cases are plagued with hoaxes perpetrated by individuals who want to get into the act in some manner. Crank callers, false confessions, false leads to police (whether intentionally false, or sincere persons who are only mistaken, or simply coincidences) are all part of what goes on during open investigations."

This is too true. The copy cat comment re the Lyon Case in Md is interesting, Rich. Please however, spare me the TRM. I think that's a red herring, now, looking back.

I grew up in Fort Worth and am the same age as one of the girls. I also went to the same shopping center many times growing up. I was there around the time this happened.
A couple of years ago I recalled something from the time about one of my visits to this outdoor mall with a friend where we were followed and approached by a man. The guy reached out for my arm at one point as I passed him. To cut to the chase here... I wrote the brother of the girl that has the website about my incident a couple of years ago. It may not have been connected at all but who knows? The guy never wrote back. I find it odd too that a couple of people here tried to call him at his request and he never answered the phone even though he told them to call.
Makes me wonder about this brother...
If it were me and if I really wanted help I would have emailed anyone back that might possibly have information about that time and I would have answered my phone if I told someone to please call me about this case.

Updated Doe Network links (since they changed from dot us to dot org)

59DFTX - Julie Ann Moseley
58DFTX - Lisa Renee Wilson
57DFTX - Mary Rachel Trlica

Charley Project links:

I think the letter is strange. How did it arrive so quickly, the very next morning? Did it really come through the post office, or was the postmark fake? At first I thought it could have been mailed ahead of time, but it mentions the car being in Sears parking lot. If they left of their own accord, why not take the car? I know hitchhiking was more common back then, but if you have a car, why not take it with you. And if they really wanted to get away for a week, why right during the Christmas holidays? It must have been an abduction...but that letter really bugs me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess, if we are speculating, I will add my two cents. While, it is possible for more than one person, child to be abducted at once and it is possible the hubby and sis did it, I am leaning more toward, they decided to go hang out and 'party' with someone and something happened to the littlest one and the two girls booked it out of town and never looked back. Purely out of fear, even if they weren't the ones that caused the harm. But then I watch a lot of movies.

I don't buy that they booked it out of town. They would have had to just about live on the streets because if they had any help that person would by now have come forward. I think they were abducted in that parking lot. They were probably lured into a vehicle with the promise of smoking some pot which was big back then. The perp probably drove them out somewhere isoloated and you can guess the rest. Knowing Rachel went by Rachel would not have been that hard to figure out. He could have just asked their names or one of the other girls mentioned it in the ride. The letter was probably written by Rachel under duress to give the guy an alibi if the LE ever looked his way. I do not beleive any family member was involved here.

I don't buy that they booked it out of town. They would have had to just about live on the streets because if they had any help that person would by now have come forward. I think they were abducted in that parking lot. They were probably lured into a vehicle with the promise of smoking some pot which was big back then. The perp probably drove them out somewhere isoloated and you can guess the rest. Knowing Rachel went by Rachel would not have been that hard to figure out. He could have just asked their names or one of the other girls mentioned it in the ride. The letter was probably written by Rachel under duress to give the guy an alibi if the LE ever looked his way. I do not beleive any family member was involved here.

IMO I highly doubt they left to go and smoke weed with someone they didn't know. I am sure it was a friend or family member that killed them That's why they went along willingly with who ever showed up at the mall parking lot If there would have been a struggle someone would have seen it and I also think the younger girl would have ran away from a struggle if she was able to as I said before I also believe somebody killed the P.I because he was getting to close to solving the case. What reason would he of had to have the records destroyed? I am sure he wanted the case solved. I work for a P.I friend periodically They become attached to their cases and solving it

That's sad. He could have committed suicide but unless he thought all his theories were stupid that's strange he wanted all his work detroyed.

Yeah, that does sound strange. From the Missing Trio website, "Swaim died in 1979 of what was said to be a drug overdose. The death was ruled a suicide. All his files, including records of this case, were destroyed - just as he had requested."

Bumping this up. It has been going on 33 long years, I always think of these girls when the shopping season starts.

What a haunting and facinating case.
Im kind of perplexed that anyone would believe for a second that a nine year old girl would agree to run away with two teen agers ...she had to get permission to go to the shopping center she would have been terrified at such a suggestion.
Conversely if one or both of the teenagers decided to' get away' to Houston why in the world would they drag a 9 year old little girl along?
As for the brother...whatever is going on with him...we have too many of these cases where some family member is muttering ominous non sequitters about conspiracies and inside information that of course... they cant share at this time.
I mean come on.The waters are muddy enough why make it worse?

Was Tommy's ex ever looked at? Did anyone see the girls after they dropped his child off at her house? Jealeousy maybe? In those days I don't think they would be as quick to think a young woman capable of such a thing but as we all know stranger things have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox