TX TX - Katherine Korzilius, 6, Austin, 7 Aug 1996

One thing that I don't think I've ever seen suggested is the possibility that a kid or teen was responsible. What if a teenager offered Katherine a ride on an ATV, motorcycle or in the back of a pickup and she fell and hit her head? Maybe the teen then laid her out on the pavement and fled. It does seem like a bizarre accident rather than a murder, but who knows?

When they arrived at the mailboxes, was the car really that hot? I did try to touch a car on a hot day after a ride but the car was perfectly touchable (in the Netherlands, not a perfect comparison I admit). I'm wandering if a hot day in Texas is so extreme that a moving vehicle really is impossible to touch.

Any thoughts about this?

When they arrived at the mailboxes, was the car really that hot? I did try to touch a car on a hot day after a ride but the car was perfectly touchable (in the Netherlands, not a perfect comparison I admit). I'm wandering if a hot day in Texas is so extreme that a moving vehicle really is impossible to touch.

Any thoughts about this?

Oh yes - very plausible! I have burned my hand opening the car door before. It can get very, very hot in Austin!

I hope the mom hasn't been covering up an accident this entire time. We really have no way of knowing where she was found in the road other than what the mom says, and in her haste of trying to make up a story she may have picked a strange location to say where her body was

I hope the mom hasn't been covering up an accident this entire time. We really have no way of knowing where she was found in the road other than what the mom says, and in her haste of trying to make up a story she may have picked a strange location to say where her body was
Actually, we sort of do have a credible source (this picture was made by the detective, right?). If we can get the specifics of where primary places, which in theory, we can by finding the mailboxes, assuming they're still there. Or you could try to find that tree dedicated to her.Katherine_korzilius3_map.jpg

According to today's stats, family on child kidnapping are the most common kidnappings of 2019. I asked for the stats of 1996 on the Quora. Sadly, no one really remembers that stuff, nor are they willing to share that if they do know. Since we're all working for the same cause, if you do remember, please share. This would narrow down the suspects. But, sadly, a 23 year old murder can't be checked enough for anything. If whoever did this was a step ahead of the cops... I think we get the idea.

I don’t know what to think of this case. I don’t really think this was an accident but rather an abduction that failed as mentioned above. I read the thread as well as the unsolved mysteries page about her and I see so much evidence that discredits the falling off her mothers car scenario. I just hope they find out what happened to this poor girl:(

The brother worked for the sheriffs dept and was recently killed.

MOO opinion is that she hung on to the back of the vehicle and fell off. Simple, straightforward. Mom just can't acknowledge.

I'll look for a media link on the brother.

Recently watched the late '90's Unsolved Mysteries episode that included this tragic Katherine K. segment. When watching the segment, on the surface it looked like the child probably died due to a hit & run car accident by a stranger; i.e., this was based on the idea that she was walking in the opposite direction of her mother's car (who dropped her off at the mailbox) so she could walk home by foot.

However, after looking into the case more - I do agree it's very possible that - after she was dropped off the mailbox - she turned back & was playing some kind of game where she tried to jump onto the back of her mother's car (not necessarily with her mother's knowledge) and fell off. And, she sustained her mortal injuries - without the mother & brother even being aware of this. Then, when she was found soon after - they wouldn't necessarily have known how this happened.

It's also possible that she somehow fell out of the car accidentally & died as a result - with the mother/brother knowing fully what happened. And, the mother didn't want to admit this for fear of getting in trouble due to negligence, etc.

Yes, it's also possible someone tried to abduct her by pulling her into a car. She struggled to get away from them - and, then either jumped out of the open car door on her own, or was pushed out - thereby sustaining her injuries.

Very puzzling case.

Last edited:
I saw this case on unsolved mysteries a few years ago, and then again a few days ago. Her story struck me as so sad....

Katherine's father, Paul Korzilius, was the personal manager for rock star Jon Bon Jovi. The two families were quite close (you could say they were even freinds) and often took vacations together, Paul's family going along on several of Bon Jovi's tours, as well.

Katherine's family lived in Texas in an area not quite upper-class, but not the typical suburb (somewhere near Austin, I believe). The mailboxes for the houses in that part of town were roughly one-eighth of a mile from the Korzilius house. Six-year-old Katherine often liked to walk from the house to the box assigned to their family, get the mail, and return home. The trip took somewhere around half an hour when she was in no hurry to reach home.

On August 7,1996, Nancy, Katherine's mother, had taken Katherine and her brother, Chris, for a day of shopping. Paul was out of town helping Bon Jovi to promote his new tour and the subsequent album. As they approcahed the mailboxes, Katherine asked if she could get out, pick up the mail, and walk the rest of the way home. Seeing no harm in this, Nancy let her daughter do as she wished. She left Katherine at the mailbox with the key, then headed for home. It was 4:15 P.M.

An hour later, Katherine had still not returned home. By this time, Nancy was in a panic. She had called the police, but was informed that, unless she had been missing for at least twenty-four hours, they could not declare Katherine missing. Angered and upset, Nancy pulled Chris into the family car and drove out to the mailboxes. When she did not see her daughter anywhere, she made a wide circle around the neighborhood.

She found Katherine's battered body laying in the middle of the road over a half a mile away from the house, obviously not on the path she normally took home. Frantic, Nancy pulled her daughter into the car and headed for the local hospital. Around six hours later, at 11:30 P.M., Katherine was pronounced brain-dead.

Hospital examinations before her death revealed a fractured skull and several bruises and uneven cuts on one hip, both knees, both elbows, the left shoulderblade, and the small of her back. The coronrer corroborated this, saying that it was most likely caused by either falling, jumping, or being thrown froma moving vehicle. There was no evidence of sexual assault; only physical trauma.

Later, the police sent the K-9 unit to track the girl's scent. Startng at the mailboxes, they had walked for perhaps five or six minutes when the trail veered off into a vacant lot, then disappeared, only to be picked up again where the body was found. Police and private detectives surmised that she encountered her attacker, ran into the lot to escape, but was then picked up and thrown into a vehicle. Whether she jumped out of the vehicle or if she was thrown was never discovered. But the coroner said that the fracture in her skull was of greater size and severity to have been caused by the fall; she had obviously been struck, possibly several times, in the head.

To this day, almost ten years later, this innocent girl's brutal murder goes unavenged and the killer walks free. The family has moved on, but there is a hole in their hearts and their lives that cannot and will not ever be filled.

Shortly after the incident, Jon Bon Jovi penned the song August 7, 4:15, a ballad about the fateful events of that day, and dedicated it to her memory. He said it was the least he could have done for the family, but wished he could have done so much more.

I have heard several theories about this case. One is that Katherine grabbed onto the back of her mother's car and fell off, and that her mother lied about finding her. This theory doesn't hold up with me for several reasons. another one I hear is hit and run, but then why would her body look so peaceful? hit and run victims do not USUALLY look that pleasent, and why would her scent have been picked up near the lot and her body not found near there?

NO. I see a REAL problem with, ' As they approcahed the mailboxes, Katherine asked if she could get out, pick up the mail, and walk the rest of the way home. Seeing no harm in this, Nancy let her daughter do as she wished. She left Katherine at the mailbox with the key, then headed for home. It was 4:15 P.M.'

It sounds like they threw her out of the car at that time. Who let's a 6 year out of the car to 'check the mail' to walk that far? Where was the mail? Everyone has junk mail.

I think her mother was jealous of the daughter because the only time she got with her husband was absorbed by her daughter. She beat her and then put her into the car. She got her son on board because he was afraid of her and threw her out of the car.

NO. I see a REAL problem with, ' As they approcahed the mailboxes, Katherine asked if she could get out, pick up the mail, and walk the rest of the way home. Seeing no harm in this, Nancy let her daughter do as she wished. She left Katherine at the mailbox with the key, then headed for home. It was 4:15 P.M.'

It sounds like they threw her out of the car at that time. Who let's a 6 year out of the car to 'check the mail' to walk that far? Where was the mail? Everyone has junk mail.

I think her mother was jealous of the daughter because the only time she got with her husband was absorbed by her daughter. She beat her and then put her into the car. She got her son on board because he was afraid of her and threw her out of the car.

This boy knows more that he has to live with daily.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back