GUILTY TX - Kelli Cox, 20, Denton, 15 July 1997 - *SK William Lewis Reece*

I'd like to add that July 15th in Denton Texas would have been a very hot time of year. Around noon might have been a time that someone was going to that convenience store to get something for a quick lunch.

I think something must have happened quickly because usually in July Denton, TX weather is over 100F - so hot you can hardly breath and you sweat through your clothes. I would have thought Kelli would have waited INSIDE the convenience store after making the call. The fact that she didn't do that, tells me someone got to her quickly - maybe overheard the phone call?

I wonder if her kid's father had done it. Maybe to avoid child support or a paternity beef?

If she called him asking for help, he could have come out, picked her up willingly, and then...just like that, she was gone...

Just a thought.

Kelli's disappearence and Regina Cox's disappearence have always reminded me of eachother for reasons other than they have the same last name. They both disappeared from a public place and both from government agencies. They both disappeared around the same time, close in age and similar in appearence.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/cox_regina.html

cox_kelli.jpg

Kelli An Cox

Endangered Missing -- Missing Since: July 15, 1997

Missing From: Denton, Texas

Height: 5'3" -- Weight: 125 lbs -- Hair Color: Brown -- Eye Color: Blue

Kelli's ears are pierced. She has a tattoo of a rose and the name "Francisco" on the palm of her right hand, and a tattoo of a scorpion on her right shoulder. The last time she was seen, she was wearing blue jeans, a dark shirt, and sandals.

Kelli was last seen the evening of July 15, 1997 at a Conoco gas station at the intersection of East McKinney Street and Railroad Avenue in Denton, Texas. She used a pay phone to call for a ride, but she was not there when her ride arrived. Kelli has not been heard from since. All of her personal belongings, including $200 cash, were left behind.

NCMEC

Charley Project

Out of curiosity I searched by the last name Cox on both Doe and Charley and came up with something interesting. Probably just coincidences but I thought I'd share to see if anyone had anymore insight into Kelli's case.

Toya Ann Cox-Jenkins – Missing 5-1-96 from Deanville, Burleson County, TX (Last believed to be riding w/truck drivers, otherwise few details in her case)
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/j/jenkins_toya.html

Kelli Ann Cox – Missing 7-15-97 from Denton, Denton County, TX (Missing from outside of Police Station/Gas Station)
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1833dftx.html

Regina Renee Cox – Missing 8-23-97 from Somerset, Pulaski County, KY (Missing from outside of Navy recruitment office/Walmart parking lot)
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1824dfky.html

Jerri Denise Cox – Missing 12-1-97 from Orange, Orange County, TX (Known to use alias's, very few details in her case)
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1840dftx.html

All four of the women seem to be petite and with the exception of Regina disappeared from Texas within a fairly short time frame of a year and a half. To get an idea of how many other people with the last name of Cox disappeared around this time, the one immediately before these four was Audrey Marie Cox from Pomano, CA on 9-6-1993 and the one immediately after was Mary Alice Cox from Clarksville, TN on 3-20-2004.

Again this is probably just coincidence but I found it very strange.

That is interesting Angela. Same name, same timeline, all female and relatively the same geographic area. A bit freaky and it makes one wonder.

After 14 years, daughter still hasn't given up hope that missing mom will return

FARMERS BRANCH -- The memories Alexis Bynum has of her mother come from photographs and stories told by relatives.

Those memories are particularly painful on this day.
Alexis was 19 months old when her mother, Kelli Cox, disappeared on July 15, 1997.
Since then, neither Alexis, Cox's parents nor any of her friends have heard from Cox, who was a 20-year-old honor student at the University of North Texas. "I believe she was abducted," Alexis said during a recent interview. "I don't know if she's alive or not."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/0...ill.html#storylink=omni_popular#ixzz1SCUzialS

I was thinking about this case and exactly how Kelli Cox disappeared and I've come up with 1 basic theory, but different suspects. My theory is that she was abducted. Pretty basic, simple, and obvious, but who?
I certainly think that Ms. Cox wouldn't just get into any unknown person's car. So after she contacts her boyfriend at the gas station pay phone, her next move is to walk back to her car and wait. On the way back is where the abduction happened. I think it was either a known and trusted person or a police officer. However, I don't think that she would have accepted a ride from anyone given that her boyfriend is en route, so the question becomes, how did she get into unknown person's car? Well once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. I think given the time of year give us a clue. I think that this unknown person convinced her to get into the car to keep cool with A/C until her boyfriend got there, but a double cross happened. Now if the person was just a known friend, I tend to doubt that she would have stayed in the car once she realized what was going on. I mean I think she would have jumped from the car, or created a scene or something. If it were at least two people, one driving, and one in the backseat or front seat controlling her, then I think that could have worked, but I still tend to think it was someone else. I will say this, however, given the fact that the police station is right near, or in the same building as a jail where some unsavory people might be around, it's certainly possible, but on the same hand, what person would do that near a police station?
My guess is it was a police officer. Think about it. She was at the police station and an officer over hears what she's talking about in regards to her car and such. She walks over to the gas station, uses the phone, and on the way back or just after the call was placed, a cop offers her a ride, she says no thank you, my boyfriend is on the way, but he convinces her to sit in the car with him with the A/C. Given it's a cop car, she'll be in the backseat that can't be unlocked from the inside backseat where she's sitting, so she's trapped. Once she realizes something's not right and starts to panic and put up a fight or something yelling and screaming, what person would find this odd while she's in the back seat of a cop car? What person would find it odd that she's getting inside of a cop car? Given that she can't do much in the back seat, I think getting rid of any evidence that she attempted to leave, I would think, would be a very easy thing to do. He takes her to where ever and does where ever to her, presumably killing her and getting rid of the body. Obviously as a cop, he's got some knowledge as to when, how, and where.
If it were just some random schmuck, in spite of her not being very big from all reports, I still think there had to have been at least 2 people to do this, do it very quickly and seamlessly without creating a scene for all to see. I just hope she's found soon. It's been a VERY long time since she's went missing. I had a hard time understanding why there aren't very many posts on here regarding her, but as I was researching, I now understand why. There just aren't very many reports and stories that I could find about her, but I hope this helps. Thank you.

I was thinking about this case and exactly how Kelli Cox disappeared and I've come up with 1 basic theory, but different suspects. My theory is that she was abducted. Pretty basic, simple, and obvious, but who?
I certainly think that Ms. Cox wouldn't just get into any unknown person's car. So after she contacts her boyfriend at the gas station pay phone, her next move is to walk back to her car and wait. On the way back is where the abduction happened. I think it was either a known and trusted person or a police officer. However, I don't think that she would have accepted a ride from anyone given that her boyfriend is en route, so the question becomes, how did she get into unknown person's car? Well once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. I think given the time of year give us a clue. I think that this unknown person convinced her to get into the car to keep cool with A/C until her boyfriend got there, but a double cross happened. Now if the person was just a known friend, I tend to doubt that she would have stayed in the car once she realized what was going on. I mean I think she would have jumped from the car, or created a scene or something. If it were at least two people, one driving, and one in the backseat or front seat controlling her, then I think that could have worked, but I still tend to think it was someone else. I will say this, however, given the fact that the police station is right near, or in the same building as a jail where some unsavory people might be around, it's certainly possible, but on the same hand, what person would do that near a police station?
My guess is it was a police officer. Think about it. She was at the police station and an officer over hears what she's talking about in regards to her car and such. She walks over to the gas station, uses the phone, and on the way back or just after the call was placed, a cop offers her a ride, she says no thank you, my boyfriend is on the way, but he convinces her to sit in the car with him with the A/C. Given it's a cop car, she'll be in the backseat that can't be unlocked from the inside backseat where she's sitting, so she's trapped. Once she realizes something's not right and starts to panic and put up a fight or something yelling and screaming, what person would find this odd while she's in the back seat of a cop car? What person would find it odd that she's getting inside of a cop car? Given that she can't do much in the back seat, I think getting rid of any evidence that she attempted to leave, I would think, would be a very easy thing to do. He takes her to where ever and does where ever to her, presumably killing her and getting rid of the body. Obviously as a cop, he's got some knowledge as to when, how, and where.
If it were just some random schmuck, in spite of her not being very big from all reports, I still think there had to have been at least 2 people to do this, do it very quickly and seamlessly without creating a scene for all to see. I just hope she's found soon. It's been a VERY long time since she's went missing. I had a hard time understanding why there aren't very many posts on here regarding her, but as I was researching, I now understand why. There just aren't very many reports and stories that I could find about her, but I hope this helps. Thank you.

I think that's a good theory. Did police ever consider it or were they too invested in protecting their own? so the cop must have pulled over with the knowledge that literally no one was around to watch? there must be police logs to show which cops were in the building at various points, no?

Or do we know if she was abducted during visting hours, or what kind of ppl might've been milling about at that time? i feel like there are definitely things police aren't sharing

From what I read, they did investigate police officers as well, but did not find anything. But of course, who knows how well they that investigation went.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

Former Denton PD detective Bobby Lozano murdered his wife and is now in prison, was he on the force then?

Sadly I think that Kelli left this earth long ago...I hope her family will get answers one day.

It is soooo possible that a cop killed her. I wonder if there is a greater chance of leads popping up as the years go by + policemen from that era retire?

Bumping, Kelli has been missing for almost 18 years.

This article is from last September:

Familiar Feeling: Mother Offers Support for Missing Woman’s Family

Kelli's daughter is now in college herself and almost the same age her mom was when she disappeared. I hope she and the rest of Kelli's family get some answers and can have closure.

A police officer being responsible for this does sound likely, unfortunately. Although, I wouldn't completely rule out another classmate that was also on the tour that day. Like others have pointed out, a random abduction seems unlikely due to the time of day and how busy the area was.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back