TX - Man shoots, kills burglars despite orders from 911 operator, 14 Nov 2007

Joe Horn - Good Neighbor - Bad Shot - Helps Stop International Crime Ring

DPS was watching burglars shot by Horn

Even before their deaths prompted a series of heated debates about the use of deadly force, detectives at the Department of Public Safety had their eye on Diego Ortiz and Miguel Dejesus. The two were shot and killed by Joe Horn, a Pasadena man who thought they were burglarizing his neighbor’s home last month.

According to a DPS memo obtained by 11 News, the department was investigating the use of Puerto Rican birth certificates by Colombians seeking to obtain Texas driver’s licenses. Both Ortiz and Dejesus had applied for licenses. Dejesus listed his country of origin as Puerto Rico, but both men were Colombian.

Apparently, the DPS is investigating hundreds of immigrants who may have used illegal papers to get Texas licenses. But that’s not all. A much wider probe has been launched into an organized syndicate of Colombians who are engaged in illegal weapons sales and home break-ins – just like the one Ortiz and Dejesus were involved in last month in Pasadena. That day, Joe Horn and a shotgun stood in the way of the suspected thieves, but in many instances the suspects have gotten away.

The ATF, ICE and DPS have reportedly formed a task force to bring the crime wave to an end. The burglars are said to be very effective at what they do, conducting extensive surveillance on their targets before striking. Some of the suspects are extremely violent. The investigations have already led to several arrests.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/khou071204_tnt_pasadenaburglars.69d89aae.htmlhttp://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/khou071204_tnt_pasadenaburglars.69d89aae.html

God Bless Joe Horn!

It's not just about the value of material possessions versus that of human life; it’s about the value of being able to live free of the fear of violence in your or your neighbor’s home. I don’t agree with what he did ( I think he should have called the police and only exposed himself to make sure the perps could be identified), but to characterize this as a killing for material value is misguided; this is death for what this man perceived as a basic freedom worth killing or dying for.

Crypto6

Yes you should be able to live free without threat of violence....which is why your neighbors should not just blow people away without a trial.

I certainly would not want to live my life in a world where judgement is passed and sentenced carried out by whoever happens to be around with a gun.

Theft is wrong...but it isn't violence either....no person was being taken, no person was being attacked, no person was being threatened.

This man had no right to pass the sentence of death without a trial.

He simply didn't want them to get away with theft...he passed the judgement that they should die rather than get some possessions....not right in my opinion. He didn't kill them because they were hurting a person, raping someone, endangering someone...he killed them because (in his words) he didn't want them to get away with it.

Nope no hero and not right what he did by any stretch of the imagination.

Had he let them leave, he would have spent his days and nights wondering when they would return to his own home, instead of his neighbor's.

Now he'll spend his days and nights knowing they won't return.

...and he'll be right.

Yes you should be able to live free without threat of violence....which is why your neighbors should not just blow people away without a trial.

I certainly would not want to live my life in a world where judgement is passed and sentenced carried out by whoever happens to be around with a gun.

Theft is wrong...but it isn't violence either....no person was being taken, no person was being attacked, no person was being threatened.

This man had no right to pass the sentence of death without a trial.

He simply didn't want them to get away with theft...he passed the judgement that they should die rather than get some possessions....not right in my opinion. He didn't kill them because they were hurting a person, raping someone, endangering someone...he killed them because (in his words) he didn't want them to get away with it.

Nope no hero and not right what he did by any stretch of the imagination.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Excellent post Maybe!

Why does everybody bring up the 911 call ? The 911 operator is getting paid to tell people to stay in their house and not to do anything.Thats easy for somebody on the phone that is not there in that situation to say!
I think Mr Horn did what he thought was right and if I was in his shoes I would of done the same thing[I THINK ATLEAST}

Because if you listen to the call or atleast read the transcripts you will see that this man was NOT in danger and there was no reason for him to get his shotgun and go outside his home. The 911 call tells it all (IMO). He had plenty of opportunity to put his gun down and stay inside his home, but no - he took this into his own hands and IMO committed murder - premediated murder that is. This isn't the Wild West and Joe Horn is NOT a hero.

Have you even read the transcripts? I don't know where you're going with the 911 operator getting paid to say what they said to Horn? :confused: What does that have to do with anything. :confused:

Had he let them leave, he would have spent his days and nights wondering when they would return to his own home, instead of his neighbor's.

Now he'll spend his days and nights knowing they won't return.

...and he'll be right.

I'm sure it will be a consolation to him to know that his possessions are safe while he's in prison for murder. I certainly wouldn't want to risk my freedom for my neighbors DVD player, my neighbor sure, but not their stuff.

Becca

Maybe so - And tell me, what would have happened had they happened to break in to the neighbors home, while someone was there? My position is the minute they broke into someone's home they committed a violent act. The potential threat of them walking in when there were latch key kids home alone, or maybe a SAHM with a baby, or a Grandmother ,was there. Maybe it didn't happen this time, but it could have happened next time. You cannot tell me those two were not capable of violent acts had the neighbors teenage daughter walked in on them as they were leaving. This is not about material items. Thankfuly, those two wont threaten anyone else's safety again.

Maybe so - And tell me, what would have happened had they happened to break in to the neighbors home, while someone was there? My position is the minute they broke into someone's home they committed a violent act. The potential threat of them walking in when there were latch key kids home alone, or maybe a SAHM with a baby, or a Grandmother ,was there. Maybe it didn't happen this time, but it could have happened next time. You cannot tell me those two were not capable of violent acts had the neighbors teenage daughter walked in on them as they were leaving. This is not about material items. Thankfuly, those two wont threaten anyone else's safety again.

Respectfully, how in the world do you know that? There are plenty of criminals who run at the sight or sound of a homeowner/occupant. Not every burglar is insane enough (or high enough) to risk a relatively minor offense with tacking on assault, rape or God forbid murder. No offense but I hope you guys in favor of this self appointed sheriff do not speak for the majority. I think the transcripts of the 911 tape speak for themselves...

Because if you listen to the call or atleast read the transcripts you will see that this man was NOT in danger and there was no reason for him to get his shotgun and go outside his home. The 911 call tells it all (IMO). He had plenty of opportunity to put his gun down and stay inside his home, but no - he took this into his own hands and IMO committed murder - premediated murder that is. This isn't the Wild West and Joe Horn is NOT a hero.

Have you even read the transcripts? I don't know where you're going with the 911 operator getting paid to say what they said to Horn? :confused: What does that have to do with anything. :confused:

First of all I respect your opinion !
Second I have heard the 911 call and I also understand that 911 operator like I said is being paid to tell him the things he did , like stay in the house thats their job but that may not be their own opinion .

Third [Mr. horn said in that 911 call these theifs were looking right at him] not to mention with a phone in his hand now are they going to run and leave a witness behind or are they going to take care of him who knows but why take the chance!

I think Mr. Horn is a hero in my opinion ! Who know what these scum would of did if they would of got away maybe they would of just stole something else or they may have killed some poor innocent person well I guess we dont have to worry about that ethier way thanks to Mr Horn

I thought I was the only one that noticed the monotone, very unconvincing concern of the 911 operator as he gave the instructions... I thought, "get out! He's just reciting stuff and hopes this guy will go shoot the bad guys!" I figured it something I would do, like, "Please don't throw me in that briar patch!". Gotta love Texas. I've never lived there, but I must be part Texan at heart.

Well, these illegal alien criminals won't be wasting any more taxpayer dollars. At least something good came of it, even if it may not have happened in an "appropriate way". I think we should fear all criminals brave enough to break in.

I thought I was the only one that noticed the monotone, very unconvincing concern of the 911 operator as he gave the instructions... I thought, "get out! He's just reciting stuff and hopes this guy will go shoot the bad guys!" I figured it something I would do, like, "Please don't throw me in that briar patch!". Gotta love Texas. I've never lived there, but I must be part Texan at heart.

Well, these illegal alien criminals won't be wasting any more taxpayer dollars. At least something good came of it, even if it may not have happened in an "appropriate way". I think we should fear all criminals brave enough to break in.

No Ziggy you werent the only one !

I never lived in Texas ethier but Id like to visit someday !

No Ziggy you werent the only one !

I never lived in Texas ethier but Id like to visit someday !

I'd like to learn a thing or two about Texas justice!!

sorry about the double post:confused:

Respectfully, how in the world do you know that? There are plenty of criminals who run at the sight or sound of a homeowner/occupant. Not every burglar is insane enough (or high enough) to risk a relatively minor offense with tacking on assault, rape or God forbid murder. No offense but I hope you guys in favor of this self appointed sheriff do not speak for the majority. I think the transcripts of the 911 tape speak for themselves...

Well, my family lives in Houston, & innocent people are being killed there every day by these types of criminals. I grew up there myself - & our home was broken into more than once. People are sick of it. No, not every criminal is a murderer, but many are (or have the potential to be) & this guy probably decided he was done living in fear.

Well, my family lives in Houston, & innocent people are being killed there every day by these types of criminals. I grew up there myself - & our home was broken into more than once. People are sick of it. No, not every criminal is a murderer, but many are (or have the potential to be) & this guy probably decided he was done living in fear.

I agree this is probably what happend there comes a point in time when people just have had enuff and then they stick up for themselves.

The way I see it these two guy brought it on too themselves if they wouldnt of did what they did they would be alive today

I agree this is probably what happend there comes a point in time when people just have had enuff and then they stick up for themselves.

The way I see it these two guy brought it on too themselves if they wouldnt of did what they did they would be alive today

Well I guess we should just execute all criminals then and we will no longer have to worry about what they will do in the future? Why don't we just return to the past when there was very little law and people took things into their own hands. Heck maybe lynching people without a trial would make a comeback.

I don't think this guy was living in fear at all, he had no fear to go out and take down two full grown men. I think he thought he had a good excuse to finally use his gun.

Well I guess we should just execute all criminals then and we will no longer have to worry about what they will do in the future? Why don't we just return to the past when there was very little law and people took things into their own hands. Heck maybe lynching people without a trial would make a comeback.

I don't think this guy was living in fear at all, he had no fear to go out and take down two full grown men. I think he thought he had a good excuse to finally use his gun.

First off thank you for your opinion .

second I think what they may do in the future is from what these scum did in the past .

third If people did stick up for themselves more maybe we wouldnt be reading as many the violent stories on here .

fourth fear I believe is part of the reason Mr Horn went outside and did what he did for the simple reason these scum seen him on the phone and if he didnt do what he did maybe this stories headline would have been a 61 year old man got murdered today by two guys breaking in a house .

Once again thank you Mr. Horn for taking two scum off the streets so I dont have to worry about my kids or my family!!

I think he thought he had a good excuse to finally use his gun.

Agreed ... shooting two fleeing burglars in the back, is hardly what I'd call a "heroic" act.

This whole tale should be a reminder that you should always think twice before pulling the trigger in a non-life-threatening situation. This is drilled into your head if you've ever taken a concealed handgun or personal defense class from an instructor worth his own weight.

One would think Joe Horn now has remorse for his actions, but there's no evidence to date he thought about the consequences before he foolishly threw down in the yard. I don't know how many of you have ever taken someone else's life, whether justified or not, but it's not nearly as much fun as some seem to think it is...Horn is very lucky it wasn't a couple of neighborhood kids grabbing some DVD's from one of their friend's homes.

Agreed ... shooting two fleeing burglars in the back, is hardly what I'd call a "heroic" act.

This whole tale should be a reminder that you should always think twice before pulling the trigger in a non-life-threatening situation. This is drilled into your head if you've ever taken a concealed handgun or personal defense class from an instructor worth his own weight.

One would think Joe Horn now has remorse for his actions, but there's no evidence to date he thought about the consequences before he foolishly threw down in the yard. I don't know how many of you have ever taken someone else's life, whether justified or not, but it's not nearly as much fun as some seem to think it is...Horn is very lucky it wasn't a couple of neighborhood kids grabbing some DVD's from one of their friend's homes.

I do believe Mr. Horn knew they werent neighborhood kids lets see I dont think kids run around with a crowbar and a sack.

I do believe a crow bar can be considered a deadly weapon and can justify using deadly force.

imo I think the only thing Mr. horn should of felt the day he shot those two theives is the recoil of his firearm!

I dont recall anybody saying taking a life is fun .

:clap: Thank you Mr Horn

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6