TX TX - Phyllis Berry, 21, Terlingua, 1 Nov 1975

I was friends with Phyllis. I do not believe that is her in the last pics. She lived with a couple she called aunt and uncle, but I am fairly sure not blood relation. She went by their last name, Matheny, for awhile. She did not complete high school so no pics would be available. I wish her disappearance could solved, I think about her often.

Patchouliluvr, would love to know more about your connection. Looking for any information re: Phyllis.

Thanks.

I want to take a moment and introduce myself to this thread and to thank you for taking your time to look into Phyllis' case. About 16 years ago, my wife did a search to find out who her birth mom was. She got bad news from the adoption agency - her mom, Phyllis Berry, had been registered as a missing person.

While this situation was sad for her, she did have the opportunity to meet Phyllis' sister and she has been a wonderful addition to our family. I am trying to do my part to keep her story alive. I found out about the site recently listening to a podcast and decided to look and was excited to find this thread dedicated to her.

My question to those who are regulars is "what do I do now?" What can I help provide that would be helpful?

We have given DNA to the Texas Rangers.
We have successfully opened some birth records from the state and adoption agency after years of working on the agency and the court.

Thanks for your help!

Hello and welcome to WS. I was surprised to say the least, seeing your post. Phyllis and I went to Hood jr high, she lived a couple of streets away and ran in the same circle of friends. As I mentioned she lived in Germany with a sister for a time. When she returned to Odessa, she had changed, more independent is what comes to mind. We drifted apart but I knew one of her boyfriends. I never knew she had a child. Phyllis was beautiful, fun and free spirited. I am still saddened by her loss. Waco... what a small world indeed. Not sure I can add much, as we were teens, it was the 70's and a long time ago.

theJudge- welcome to WS.
It sounds like you have done all you can do, given the circumstances, so thank you. The only thing that I think might be helpful would be more pictures of Phyllis put out in the public eye, if you have different ones and feel comfortable doing that.
My opinion is that a missing person can never have too much exposure, so any information that you are willing to share may help. Again, welcome and thank you.

Hello and welcome to WS. I was surprised to say the least, seeing your post. Phyllis and I went to Hood jr high, she lived a couple of streets away and ran in the same circle of friends. As I mentioned she lived in Germany with a sister for a time. When she returned to Odessa, she had changed, more independent is what comes to mind. We drifted apart but I knew one of her boyfriends. I never knew she had a child. Phyllis was beautiful, fun and free spirited. I am still saddened by her loss. Waco... what a small world indeed. Not sure I can add much, as we were teens, it was the 70's and a long time ago.
Patchouliluvr - do you happen to know the roommate that accompanied Phyllis to the cook off? If so, have you spoken to her?

I didn't know her roommate, but knew several of the people that she met up with. They were sharing a camping area and by their accounts having a good time. Nothing seemed amiss. Some of those present that night have passed.

I didn't know her roommate, but knew several of the people that she met up with. They were sharing a camping area and by their accounts having a good time. Nothing seemed amiss. Some of those present that night have passed.
Thanks!

I want to take a moment and introduce myself to this thread and to thank you for taking your time to look into Phyllis' case. About 16 years ago, my wife did a search to find out who her birth mom was. She got bad news from the adoption agency - her mom, Phyllis Berry, had been registered as a missing person.

While this situation was sad for her, she did have the opportunity to meet Phyllis' sister and she has been a wonderful addition to our family. I am trying to do my part to keep her story alive. I found out about the site recently listening to a podcast and decided to look and was excited to find this thread dedicated to her.

My question to those who are regulars is "what do I do now?" What can I help provide that would be helpful?

We have given DNA to the Texas Rangers.
We have successfully opened some birth records from the state and adoption agency after years of working on the agency and the court.

Thanks for your help!

Sorry to hear it was bad news for your wife after years of trying to get records theJudge, glad you can take a positive away from it by meeting her sister.
I noticed a few possible aliases she could have used, how much has the family looked into that avenue? Would her sister be able to share any more info here or through you?

Sorry to hear it was bad news for your wife after years of trying to get records theJudge, glad you can take a positive away from it by meeting her sister.
I noticed a few possible aliases she could have used, how much has the family looked into that avenue? Would her sister be able to share any more info here or through you?

Starr, thanks for writing. One of the most interesting things about Phyllis' disappearance has been the circumstances. From what Phyllis's sister told us. Some friends were sitting around a fire at the Terlingua Chili Cook-Off (much like a Texas Woodstock), decided to go out and gather fire wood while Phyllis waited by the fire. They came back and she was gone. Purse was there. Earrings were there. Car was there. And no one ever saw her again. The sister feels like she was not the kind of person that would have even had the confidence to set out on her own, so we really have never pursued the alias route. She felt she had nothing to run away from. However, I can see the benefit of pursuing every avenue and keeping an open mind. Thanks.

They were a retired,elderly couple when she lived with them. They would be long deceased. No, she never contacted them or anyone after her disappearance. She vanished that evening at the chili cook off.

Do you have any recollection of their names? I remember hearing about them and the sister does too, but she can't for the life of her remember their names.

theJudge-
Just curious, has your wife tracked down the name of her biological father (please note I am not asking for the actual name, only whether or not she knows who he is). Thank you!

Alleykins,
That is an issue we have had with the adoption agency files. The name is in there. The judge has "unsealed" the file, but the adoption agency has continued to redact his information. The odd thing is that we know he is from another country. As the other commenter stated, she had been to Germany and came back pregnant. So, the adoption agency is claiming it has done research and the person "doesn't exist", but they won't release the name either. Really frustrating.

Do you have any recollection of their names? I remember hearing about them and the sister does too, but she can't for the life of her remember their names.

Hello theJudge,
yes, I do remember. We had conversations, some slight differences in the events. As stated, leaving her belongings and dog never changed. The rumor of being seen on a motorcycle was questionable by friends. Running off was dismissed after the investigation( I'm not saying that in an official manner). I am puzzled to the pregnancy. I remember going over to the Matheny's very soon after she came back from Germany. She was not pregnant nor appeared to have been. I even remember what she was wearing that day. Now thinking she may have stayed with her mother before returning to Odessa. Whatever, having a child was never revealed. Depending on your wife's age, would be the only way I could wrap my brain around that. There is another connection Phyllis and I had that made me wonder about the year of your wife's birth, but I am not asking for details. Public forum. Have you ever requested police reports from OPD cold cases?

Alleykins,
That is an issue we have had with the adoption agency files. The name is in there. The judge has "unsealed" the file, but the adoption agency has continued to redact his information. The odd thing is that we know he is from another country. As the other commenter stated, she had been to Germany and came back pregnant. So, the adoption agency is claiming it has done research and the person "doesn't exist", but they won't release the name either. Really frustrating.

theJudge, I find the adoption agency claim quite bizarre, I don't understand why its up to them to claim a person "doesn't exist"... they should give you the name that was on the papers and leave it up to you.
Another avenue I can think of is that of submitting your wife DNA, I have done mine through Ancestry, it gives a general ancestry and matches come back for possible relatives. It is in its infancy atm for looking into relatives however I believe it will have a huge role in the future.

theJudge, I think I misunderstood your post about name recollection. I thought you meant the people she was with that night. I have answered the question regarding the folks that she lived with in prior posts. I think he "uncle John" passed before her disappearance. She was living with a boyfriend around that time. I never knew how it came about that she lived with them. Nice people, we all called them aunt / uncle also. As stated before, I'm fairly sure they were not related.

Alleykins,

Thank you for your reply.
As someone stated, the adoption agency's claim is bizarre. If they claim the person doesn't exist, what harm could it do to release the non existent person's name? I find that very odd, indeed.

Thank you for your reply.
As someone stated, the adoption agency's claim is bizarre. If they claim the person doesn't exist, what harm could it do to release the non existent person's name? I find that very odd, indeed.

I find it odd also. At the time of adoption, I would think a search for bio father would be done. A fictitious name could have been given, but revealing the name for further research is not unreasonable. Also wonder when "doesn't exist" was a known fact.

According to the Odessa American newspaper, dated October 16, 1976, the roommate's name was Vangie Strait. The story that they quit their jobs, loaded up the car with Phyllis' puppy, is all there. If anyone has a subscription to newspapers.com, you can download the articles. I just read the OCR text.

Another article from earlier, November 30, 1975, also says other names: Terry Robert Bailey, John Jackson, and Dale Wade. Another person was a man named "Jim" from Austin that Jackson picked up as a hitchhiker.

The aunt Phyllis lived with was named Ruth Matheny of 4209 Locust.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/49625198/

[url]https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/48972329/

[/URL]

Well I said I didn't know her roommate because I didn't know it was Vangie. I do know Vangie, went to school with her and we all hung out. I will do some research . It would be interesting to re connect with her. Thank you for the link and info. I'm going to check it out.

Well I said I didn't know her roommate because I didn't know it was Vangie. I do know Vangie, went to school with her and we all hung out. I will do some research . It would be interesting to re connect with her. Thank you for the link and info. I'm going to check it out.

Good luck!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back