TX TX - Phyllis Berry, 21, Terlingua, 1 Nov 1975

Hi Alleykins and thanks shehangsbrightly. I knew Dale very well , he has since passed. Wonder what the background is concerning the hitchhiker. I already found Vangie. The others mentioned don't ring a bell but if they hung out with Dale I should know them. To read the articles I need a subscription . Yes it was Ruth and John Matheny, they were very kind and loved Phyllis like a daughter. Did you know Phyllis? Thanks for your input.

I wonder if she had to use the bush, as we called it when camping, and got lost?

That is exactly what her friends reported, that she went "to find a bush" but never returned. That area, Terlingua, is well known for buried mining shafts, some 200 feet deep. That has always been a consideration of why not a trace of her was found. The rumor of her being seen on a cycle was just that, her friends did not believe it.

That is exactly what her friends reported, that she went "to find a bush" but never returned. That area, Terlingua, is well known for buried mining shafts, some 200 feet deep. That has always been a consideration of why not a trace of her was found. The rumor of her being seen on a cycle was just that, her friends did not believe it.

RBBM
Yea, that's what the text from the newspaper.com article pretty much said, which is tragic.

I didn't know Phyllis, but I just reviewed her case on the Doe Network to update it. I volunteer with them.

Quick question...I mean this with respect...Did she go to Germany or was she "away" to have a child? How long was she gone?

According to the Odessa American newspaper, dated October 16, 1976, the roommate's name was Vangie Strait. The story that they quit their jobs, loaded up the car with Phyllis' puppy, is all there. If anyone has a subscription to newspapers.com, you can download the articles. I just read the OCR text.

Another article from earlier, November 30, 1975, also says other names: Terry Robert Bailey, John Jackson, and Dale Wade. Another person was a man named "Jim" from Austin that Jackson picked up as a hitchhiker.

The aunt Phyllis lived with was named Ruth Matheny of 4209 Locust.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/49625198/

[url]https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/48972329/

[/URL]

Thank you for this info! Haven't read these before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick question...I mean this with respect...Did she go to Germany or was she "away" to have a child? How long was she gone?

LucyOso, the aunt she lived with in Germany is the one who I have spoken with. She says that Phyllis was a little wild and sent her to live there with her. The aunt was going through her own issues at the time though. She met a guy attending art school in Darmstadt. Then, got pregnant and had to come back home.

Interesting, I have never heard the mine shaft theory. I know they supposedly used cadaver dogs, but doubt they would hit that far above ground.

According to the Odessa American newspaper, dated October 16, 1976, the roommate's name was Vangie Strait. The story that they quit their jobs, loaded up the car with Phyllis' puppy, is all there. If anyone has a subscription to newspapers.com, you can download the articles. I just read the OCR text.

Another article from earlier, November 30, 1975, also says other names: Terry Robert Bailey, John Jackson, and Dale Wade. Another person was a man named "Jim" from Austin that Jackson picked up as a hitchhiker.

The aunt Phyllis lived with was named Ruth Matheny of 4209 Locust.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/49625198/

[url]https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/48972329/

[/URL]

I can't get these links to work.

Unfortunately, you need a subscription to read the whole article. I will look these up again and see if I can find a way to copy the text.

Unfortunately, you need a subscription to read the whole article. I will look these up again and see if I can find a way to copy the text.

Thank you.

Got it! I had to clear the cache from my previous Google search back in February.

This is the text from the October 16, 1975 article from the Odessa American:

"When the celebrated chili cookoff and its surrounding festivities ended last year at this time, and Terlingua reassumed its status as a ghost town set amid rugged terrain and mine-pitted mountains, Phyllis Eleanor Berry of Odessa was missing. On the final night of the annual event, a Sunday, she was last seen by friends sitting by a dwindling fire. She had just encouraged a few of them to get some more wood to rebuild the fire before turning in for the night. When they returned, Phyllis was gone. That was a year ago. No one has since seen or heard from the then 2l-year-old Odessan. Active investigations into her disappearance by the Brewster County Sheriff's Department and the Texas Rangers yielded no trace of her; they were halted several months ago.

• * * PHYLLIS’ best friend and then roommate, Vangie Strait, still wants to know what happened to the girl she termed “unique,” a kind of girl who in addition to being decidedly attractive was also well liked. ‘‘Sometimes, I think if she was dead, they would have found her,” Miss Strait states. ‘‘I don’t know. I don't think she’s dead.” Miss Strait and Phyllis Berry were in Terlingua not just for the cook off. They had both quit their jobs and were going to camp out in the area for a while after the celebration ended. They had packed food and clothes in Phyllis’ car, even had a puppy that belonged to Phyllis with them. When Miss Berry disappeared, everything she owned was left behind, Miss Strait said The theory that Phyllis “took off with someone’ is not a viable one to Miss Strait. “I know she wouldn't do that. If she was going to leave, she would have said so. She would have taken something with her.” BREWSTER SHERIFF James Skinner is resigned about the fate of Miss Berry. After a year of several fruitless investigations and no word from the missing woman, he states, “I think she’s dead.” He further states Miss Berry may have been the victim of foul play. The fact that her body has never been recovered means little to Skinner. “This is a very hilly area with a lot of mine shafts around," he states. “Some of them are open. She might be in one of them.” It would be difficult to locate a body in one of those mines, Skinner says. “You could stay down there for many years before your bones are found,” he states, adding: "They may never be found.” The first search for Miss Berry lasted several days after her disappearance. A light plane and a manhunt by friends was launched. Texas Rangers and a larger ground party joined in the search the Tuesday following her disappearance.

* • • THAT MANHUNT continued through Wednesday but was called off after a false report that Miss Berry had been in telephone contact with law enforcement officials was received Over the next few months, interest in the case by family and friends would spark ^investigations. Nothing concrete ever came from them. Sheriff Skinner states. It was and is a case that, although there was nothing bizarre about it, is “frustrating,” Skinner asserts The current status of any investigation by the Brewster Sheriff's Department or the Texas Rangers is inactive. However, if any leads are forthcoming, the case would be reopened, police authorities state. Miss Strait raises the theory that perhaps Phyllis Berry was kidnapped and sold into what she terms, “white slavery ” and reiterates Miss Berry was not the kind of girl to just take ofi without saying something to her friends or taking something with her.

• • • MURDER, white slavery, perhaps an accident: all are theories about the disappearance of Phyllis Eleanor Berry To date, there has been not a solitary clue pointing in any direction Calling the disappearance a complete mystery seems hardly enough to those who knew Phyllis Berry. “If there was something I could do. I’d do it,” Miss Strait states. “But I feel so helpless.” Sheriff Skinner says, “This is a big country. It’s as big as you want it to be. Others have disappeared, too,” which may account why no trace of Phyllis Berry has not, and may never be, found."

And here's the text from the November 1975 article from the Odessa American. Some of it might not make sense because the OCR was poor, but at least it is the jist of the article without having to pay the subscription fee:

Texas Hangers are apprehensive about the fate of a pretty 21-year-old Odessa woman who disappeared a month ago while attending a chili cookoff at Terlingua Phyllis Eleanor Berry disappeared without a trace from a crowd of 10,000 She hasn’t been seen or heard from since "Under the circumstance, I fear foul play," said Texas Ranger A Y Allee who has been on the case for the past four weeks. Allee, who is stationed at Alpine, said Miss Berry was last seen about midnight on Nov. 1 sitting around a camp fire about a quarter of a mile from the main headquarters of the chili cooking contest. A vast search of the area by helicopter, on horseback and the use of specially-trained police dogs failed to turn up a single clue "We’ve just run out of leads," Allee explained "We need help Bad "

Miss Berry’s foreign-made auto, containing her purse and her pet dog. was found the morning after her disappearance where she had originally parked it on arriving in Terlingua, Allee said he is pushing his hunt for a missing witness who might be able to shed some light on the case. The Ranger said Miss Berry was seen riding a motorcycle with a youthful companion for a couple of hours before she disappeared "It was a Honda 350 and dark in color," Allee said. "It was driven by a young man with blond hair in his early 20s " Alee was emphatic that the man on the motorcycle is not a suspect "We just want to talk to him," Allee said The investigator said he has been unable to substantiate two reports circulating about the missing woman. One said Miss Berry called lawmen in Odessa to report she was alive and well. Another was that she was spotted in a tavern across the Rio Grande in Mexico. "We just can’t run them down," Allee said "We’ve heard that a girl and a guy were spotted in the bar But we can't say for sure that it was Miss Berry Although he personally checked with the Odessa Police Department and the Ector County Sheriffs Department, Allee said he can find no one who received a telephone call from the missing girl, "Maybe it was a prank call. Something to throw us off the track."

Allee said Miss Berry made the weekend trip to Terlingua with two other Odessans, her roommate Vangie Strait and a friend, Terry Robert Bailey. After arriving at Terlingua. Allee said, Bailey went to visit friends while Miss Strait took a nap in a friend’s camper and Miss Berry went motorcycle riding. Later that evening, after the sun had gone down, a large crowd attended an impromptu dance. Miss Berry ran into two friends from Odessa, John Jackson and Dale Wade. She also met a third man named Jim from Austin who Jackson had picked up as a hitchhiker en route to Terlingua. According to Jackson, Miss Berry appeared in good spirits “I saw her dancing with several fellas and she appeared to be having a good time," Jackson recalled. Shortly before midnight, Jackson said, he and Miss Berry returned to camp with Wade on Wade’s motorcycle. He said Jim followed a few moments later on foot. "Wc just stood around for a few minutes eating Fritos and bean dip." Jackson said "The fire had just about burned down and she asked us to get more wood for the fire," Jackson said "I don’t remember her exact words, but she said she was going to sit by the fire and wait for us to return. "Jim sat with her on the cot for a minute or two and then joined us about 20 feet away where we were gathering the wood. "We all walked back to the campfire a few minutes later and she was gone," Jackson said. "She was there one minute and gone the next. She just kinda slipped away. "At first I thought she must have gone down the hill to party some more," Jackson said “Or to use the Hammond Draws Line On Closed Door Meets bathroom." A short time later, probably not more than five minutes, Bailey came to the camp in Miss Berry’s auto looking for her. "He was driving her car and had her Irish setter puppy." Jackson said He said Wade rode around for about an hour on his motorcycle looking for the girl unsuccessfully. "We didn’t think too much about it," Jackson explained. "We figured maybe she just went down the hill " The trio turned in for the night The next morning, Jackson said. Jim walked down the road to catch a ride back to Austin Wade packed up and headed back to Odessa Jackson said he remained behind and spent half of Sunday with Bailey searching, for the missing woman. Jackson returned to Odessa Sunday night but Miss Strait and Bailey remained behind to hunt for their missing friend Miss Strait said she and Bailey telephoned back to Odessa Sunday night thinking Miss Berry caught a ride home with friends The first missing person report to the sheriff's office at Alpine was made Sunday night by telephone from Odessa "The last time I saw her was about 10:30 or U o’clock Saturday night," Miss Strait said "She seemed to be having a good time .’’

A light plane was called into the search Monday morning as Terlingua returned to ghost town status with the exodus of the throng It was fruitless Miss Strait said another plea was made to the sheriff’s office at Alpine Monday night when no trace had been found of Miss Berry. Texas Ranger and a larger ground party joined in the search Tuesday morning The manhunt continued Wednesday, but was called off after the false report that Miss Berry had been in telephone contact with law enforcement officials in Odessa Miss Strait and Bailey returned to Odessa Wednesday night. When she was last seen. Miss Berry was wearing a pair of blue jeans, a tan and black shirt and a pair of knee-high granny boots which laced up the front "We haven’t been able to come up with anything concrete," said another Texas Ranger working on the investigation "The longer she is gone, the more apt we are to think that something has happened to her "We have no evidence that she went off by herself On the other hand, we have nothing to indicate she was carried away by force. "We need to find out when she was last seen and by whom." Allee said he fears foul play "because she wasn’t in trouble and had no reason to run." "Something is wrong," said Mrs Ruth Matheny of 4209 Locust, Miss Berry’s aunt also said she fears for her niece's safety. "She just vanished info thin air," Mrs. Matheny said "It’s just not like her," Mrs. Matheny said "If she was okay, she'd get in touch with us. I just know she would " Mrs Matheny said. "Her car was left behind and her dog was in it So was her purse I know she didn’t go off alone and leave everything behind " She called the disappearance. “A complete mystery " "Because of the false reports," Mrs Matheny said, "a lot of people think she has been found But we don’t know any more today than we did. four weeks ago " "God, I wish we could hear some good news."

And here's the text from the November 1975 article from the Odessa American. Some of it might not make sense because the OCR was poor, but at least it is the jist of the article without having to pay the subscription fee:

Texas Hangers are apprehensive about the fate of a pretty 21-year-old Odessa woman who disappeared a month ago while attending a chili cookoff at Terlingua Phyllis Eleanor Berry disappeared without a trace from a crowd of 10,000 She hasn’t been seen or heard from since "Under the circumstance, I fear foul play," said Texas Ranger A Y Allee who has been on the case for the past four weeks. Allee, who is stationed at Alpine, said Miss Berry was last seen about midnight on Nov. 1 sitting around a camp fire about a quarter of a mile from the main headquarters of the chili cooking contest. A vast search of the area by helicopter, on horseback and the use of specially-trained police dogs failed to turn up a single clue "We’ve just run out of leads," Allee explained "We need help Bad "

Miss Berry’s foreign-made auto, containing her purse and her pet dog. was found the morning after her disappearance where she had originally parked it on arriving in Terlingua, Allee said he is pushing his hunt for a missing witness who might be able to shed some light on the case. The Ranger said Miss Berry was seen riding a motorcycle with a youthful companion for a couple of hours before she disappeared "It was a Honda 350 and dark in color," Allee said. "It was driven by a young man with blond hair in his early 20s " Alee was emphatic that the man on the motorcycle is not a suspect "We just want to talk to him," Allee said The investigator said he has been unable to substantiate two reports circulating about the missing woman. One said Miss Berry called lawmen in Odessa to report she was alive and well. Another was that she was spotted in a tavern across the Rio Grande in Mexico. "We just can’t run them down," Allee said "We’ve heard that a girl and a guy were spotted in the bar But we can't say for sure that it was Miss Berry Although he personally checked with the Odessa Police Department and the Ector County Sheriffs Department, Allee said he can find no one who received a telephone call from the missing girl, "Maybe it was a prank call. Something to throw us off the track."

Allee said Miss Berry made the weekend trip to Terlingua with two other Odessans, her roommate Vangie Strait and a friend, Terry Robert Bailey. After arriving at Terlingua. Allee said, Bailey went to visit friends while Miss Strait took a nap in a friend’s camper and Miss Berry went motorcycle riding. Later that evening, after the sun had gone down, a large crowd attended an impromptu dance. Miss Berry ran into two friends from Odessa, John Jackson and Dale Wade. She also met a third man named Jim from Austin who Jackson had picked up as a hitchhiker en route to Terlingua. According to Jackson, Miss Berry appeared in good spirits “I saw her dancing with several fellas and she appeared to be having a good time," Jackson recalled. Shortly before midnight, Jackson said, he and Miss Berry returned to camp with Wade on Wade’s motorcycle. He said Jim followed a few moments later on foot. "Wc just stood around for a few minutes eating Fritos and bean dip." Jackson said "The fire had just about burned down and she asked us to get more wood for the fire," Jackson said "I don’t remember her exact words, but she said she was going to sit by the fire and wait for us to return. "Jim sat with her on the cot for a minute or two and then joined us about 20 feet away where we were gathering the wood. "We all walked back to the campfire a few minutes later and she was gone," Jackson said. "She was there one minute and gone the next. She just kinda slipped away. "At first I thought she must have gone down the hill to party some more," Jackson said “Or to use the Hammond Draws Line On Closed Door Meets bathroom." A short time later, probably not more than five minutes, Bailey came to the camp in Miss Berry’s auto looking for her. "He was driving her car and had her Irish setter puppy." Jackson said He said Wade rode around for about an hour on his motorcycle looking for the girl unsuccessfully. "We didn’t think too much about it," Jackson explained. "We figured maybe she just went down the hill " The trio turned in for the night The next morning, Jackson said. Jim walked down the road to catch a ride back to Austin Wade packed up and headed back to Odessa Jackson said he remained behind and spent half of Sunday with Bailey searching, for the missing woman. Jackson returned to Odessa Sunday night but Miss Strait and Bailey remained behind to hunt for their missing friend Miss Strait said she and Bailey telephoned back to Odessa Sunday night thinking Miss Berry caught a ride home with friends The first missing person report to the sheriff's office at Alpine was made Sunday night by telephone from Odessa "The last time I saw her was about 10:30 or U o’clock Saturday night," Miss Strait said "She seemed to be having a good time .’’

A light plane was called into the search Monday morning as Terlingua returned to ghost town status with the exodus of the throng It was fruitless Miss Strait said another plea was made to the sheriff’s office at Alpine Monday night when no trace had been found of Miss Berry. Texas Ranger and a larger ground party joined in the search Tuesday morning The manhunt continued Wednesday, but was called off after the false report that Miss Berry had been in telephone contact with law enforcement officials in Odessa Miss Strait and Bailey returned to Odessa Wednesday night. When she was last seen. Miss Berry was wearing a pair of blue jeans, a tan and black shirt and a pair of knee-high granny boots which laced up the front "We haven’t been able to come up with anything concrete," said another Texas Ranger working on the investigation "The longer she is gone, the more apt we are to think that something has happened to her "We have no evidence that she went off by herself On the other hand, we have nothing to indicate she was carried away by force. "We need to find out when she was last seen and by whom." Allee said he fears foul play "because she wasn’t in trouble and had no reason to run." "Something is wrong," said Mrs Ruth Matheny of 4209 Locust, Miss Berry’s aunt also said she fears for her niece's safety. "She just vanished info thin air," Mrs. Matheny said "It’s just not like her," Mrs. Matheny said "If she was okay, she'd get in touch with us. I just know she would " Mrs Matheny said. "Her car was left behind and her dog was in it So was her purse I know she didn’t go off alone and leave everything behind " She called the disappearance. “A complete mystery " "Because of the false reports," Mrs Matheny said, "a lot of people think she has been found But we don’t know any more today than we did. four weeks ago " "God, I wish we could hear some good news."

Shehangs, thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Since, we are new to this, there are bits in here we have never read before. So appreciate you!

Unless I've overlooked it, it appears that no search was ever carried out of mineshafts in the district. Correct?

Are the shafts vertical or driven horizontally or at an angle into the hillsides? If vertical, it seems likely that if she ended up in one whether by accident or foul play, her body is likely to be close to the bottom of the shaft.

How many mineshafts are there within, say, half a mile of where she was last seen? Within a mile?

If they've not been searched, is it feasible for a student potholing or cave exploration group to undertake such a search over a period of time?

So, IF my wife has given a DNA sample to the Texas Rangers AND we know Phyllis was arrested and booked in Austin at one time, so her prints exist, what are the steps to confirm they are in AFIS and any other system vs just sitting out there?

So, IF my wife has given a DNA sample to the Texas Rangers AND we know Phyllis was arrested and booked in Austin at one time, so her prints exist, what are the steps to confirm they are in AFIS and any other system vs just sitting out there?

I would email the NamUs contact for Phyllis's case. I don't see why they couldn't reveal that.
Regional Administrator
Michael Nance Email Michael.Nance@unthsc.edu

I would email the NamUs contact for Phyllis's case. I don't see why they couldn't reveal that.
Regional Administrator
Michael Nance Email Michael.Nance@unthsc.edu

Alleykins, I got a hold of him and confirmed that the DNA sample and fingerprints are in the database.

My questions now are:
1. So, does that mean when a fingerprint is found it is compared to it every time a print is found?
2. Something for DNA?

Reason I ask is that one theory is that she up and left. If that is the case, then the chances of her going undetected by the system, getting a driver's license, etc, doesn't seem feasible. Right?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther