TX - Zuzu Verk, 22, Alpine, 12 Oct 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Chief of Police Scown in this video from Sunday evening, ZuZu's dog was reported running around near her apartment on Wednesday with its leash on. Animal control came, found the dog and put it in her fenced yard.

Of course, this was before it was known that ZuZu was missing. I wonder if she made it home from her night out and took her dog out for a walk in the middle of the night. That would indicate to me that she could have been abducted from the street perhaps. If dogs could only talk!

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Al...hicles-involving-missing-woman-397256351.html

According to Chief of Police Scown in this video from Sunday evening, ZuZu's dog was reported running around near her apartment on Wednesday with its leash on. Animal control came, found the dog and put it in her fenced yard.

Of course, this was before it was known that ZuZu was missing. I wonder if she made it home from her night out and took her dog out for a walk in the middle of the night. That would indicate to me that she could have been abducted from the street perhaps. If dogs could only talk!

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Al...hicles-involving-missing-woman-397256351.html

I wonder if anyone heard the dog barking from Wednesday until Sunday? For some reason, I suspect that the dog was at her house the whole time. Alpine is rather small town and people would notice a dog walking with a leash on and no human attached to it.

I am very familiar with this part of Texas. For people who have never been there, it is very isolated and desolate. There is rather heavy border patrol presence which monitors some of the more rural areas so I am thinking that may be how she is found.

I do not have a very good feeling about this unfortunately. If the boyfriend did leave the next day to "visit his mom in Mexico" then I think we all know what happened here.
BBM

Thanks so much for sharing local information. I've stayed in Alpine twice while RVing. We loved it so much the first time, we made a point of staying there on another trip, both times at the B & C RV Park. The high desert and mountains are hauntingly beautiful. It's a great small town. I would have cheerfully settled there if it weren't so isolated and far from a large medical center (sadly, you think of this stuff when you're older). I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned that Alpine is a gateway to Big Bend National Park. This is vast country, and desolate, as you said.

I don't think ZuZu left on her own, so I don't have a good feeling about this either. :(

BBM

Thanks so much for sharing local information. I've stayed in Alpine twice while RVing. We loved it so much the first time, we made a point of staying there on another trip, both times at the B & C RV Park. The high desert and mountains are hauntingly beautiful. It's a great small town. I would have cheerfully settled there if it weren't so isolated and far from a large medical center (sadly, you think of this stuff when you're older). I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned that Alpine is a gateway to Big Bend National Park. This is vast country, and desolate, as you said.

I don't think ZuZu left on her own, so I don't have a good feeling about this either. :(

Yeah I was also thinking that many ways out of town and into nowhere one will encounter border patrol checkpoints (for anyone unfamiliar with these, they are INSIDE the United States by a considerable distance from the border). If anyone moved her, I highly doubt if they would have gone further than these, or would have even taken that road.

I wonder if anyone heard the dog barking from Wednesday until Sunday? For some reason, I suspect that the dog was at her house the whole time. Alpine is rather small town and people would notice a dog walking with a leash on and no human attached to it.

I think ZuZu was reported missing on Friday (?), so her dog was alone for the better part of three days at least, until someone thought to come get it. I wonder if neighbors reported barking in the yard after reporting the dog loose on a leash. Poor pup!

That is very worrying!!

Her dog running loose with leash attached?? That's not good at all. Definitely indicates an abduction. Not the news I wanted to hear.

Yeah I was also thinking that many ways out of town and into nowhere one will encounter border patrol checkpoints (for anyone unfamiliar with these, they are INSIDE the United States by a considerable distance from the border). If anyone moved her, I highly doubt if they would have gone further than these, or would have even taken that road.

I remember taking Wagon Road off 1703 west of town and exploring closer to the mountains. At some point you would need a jeep (ahem) to go further into the mountains, but before getting there you would pass a fair number of residences. I'm just using this as an example of avoiding border patrol checkpoints, but someone could have seen the jeep in the middle of the night. When I'm up at that time of night, I always look out the window. Is there a checkpoint on 118 going toward Fort Davis? I only see one on 118 south of town, so probably not. That's another possibility that passes through the mountains.

Her dog running loose with leash attached?? That's not good at all. Definitely indicates an abduction. Not the news I wanted to hear.

This Biology Conservation Student, nature knowledgeable, and animal oriented person would not leave her dog to run loose on a leash! They get entangled.

It's alarming for sure. I wonder what scent SAR dogs turned up if anything. To me this spells vehicle abduction.

I know they were doing searches with volunteers

But this concerns me:
"There will be no further searches unless law enforcement gets more leads on the story."
Thttp://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Alpine-Police-seeking-information-on-two-vehicles-involving-missing-woman-397256351.html

Do current leads contain info that this was voluntary? If not why no further searches? The Vehicles? were they known to her?

So I hope volunteer searches keep up. If the dog was loose did any SAR specialized dogs track the dog? That could be helpful.

"Volunteers are asked to met at the Alpine fire station at 208 E. Holland.
Alpine police say crews will be searching streets, alleys, and other areas authorities believe she could be."
http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/397236881.html

Looks like it has to be private.

This Biology Conservation Student, nature knowledgeable, and animal oriented person would not leave her dog to run loose on a leash! They get entangled.

It's alarming for sure. I wonder what scent SAR dogs turned up if anything. To me this spells vehicle abduction.

I know they were doing searches with volunteers

But this concerns me:
"There will be no further searches unless law enforcement gets more leads on the story."
Thttp://www.cbs7.com/content/news/Alpine-Police-seeking-information-on-two-vehicles-involving-missing-woman-397256351.html

Do current leads contain info that this was voluntary? If not why no further searches? The Vehicles? were they known to her?

So I hope volunteer searches keep up. If the dog was loose did any SAR specialized dogs track the dog? That could be helpful.

"Volunteers are asked to met at the Alpine fire station at 208 E. Holland.
Alpine police say crews will be searching streets, alleys, and other areas authorities believe she could be."
http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/397236881.html

Looks like it has to be private.
BBM

Given the vast territory and the couple of days before ZuZu was reported missing, LE can realistically only continue searching based on leads. The initial search was intense, with helicopters, etc. Nothing turned up. I'm sure they suspect ZuZu was abducted and are investigating, but LE can't put resources into searches without a focus. Volunteers certainly can and if I were her family I'd hire a PI. JMO

BBM

Given the vast territory and the couple of days before ZuZu was reported missing, LE can realistically only continue searching based on leads. The initial search was intense, with helicopters, etc. Nothing turned up. I'm sure they suspect ZuZu was abducted and are investigating, but LE can't put resources into searches without a focus. Volunteers certainly can and if I were her family I'd hire a PI. JMO

Thanks. I understand.

I guess what I was getting to is that I hope that the volunteers and family can be pointed to SAR people who can decide how best to track the dog's movements while it was running loose.

There are many kinds of dogs and handlers. Scent, air scent, tracking scent and others, etc.

We have SAR people but at the moment I cannot remember who they are.

I honestly think that the pet running looses will show where Zuzu went missing and how.

I think that by and large LE has limited resources and their dogs are limited to scent only which is different than tracking. I think that is why they will hol doff searches unntill they have further leads.

MOO

This case is very concerning to me. Hoping that pings will narrow down search areas.

I can't decide if the dog running around with the leash means she was taken by someone she knows or someone she doesn't know. On the one hand, the dog might not attack someone she knows. On the other hand, why would a stranger go after someone with a dog? Makes it more difficult to snatch her quietly and they left evidence (the dog) behind. :thinking:

Thanks. I understand.

I guess what I was getting to is that I hope that the volunteers and family can be pointed to SAR people who can decide how best to track the dog's movements while it was running loose.

There are many kinds of dogs and handlers. Scent, air scent, tracking scent and others, etc.

We have SAR people but at the moment I cannot remember who they are.

I honestly think that the pet running looses will show where Zuzu went missing and how.

I think that by and large LE has limited resources and their dogs are limited to scent only which is different than tracking. I think that is why they will hol doff searches unntill they have further leads.

MOO

You're absolutely right about different types of SAR dogs and LE dogs being limited. That's why I hope the family can ask the police to get Texas Equusearch on board. They have lots of resources. If they could figure out how far away from home and where the dog was when it became loose, that would help a lot. Was it near a business and did it run home. If so, was the business in any way connected to someone she knows? Or did the dog become loose outside her apartment. I suppose ZuZu could also be tracked?

I can't decide if the dog running around with the leash means she was taken by someone she knows or someone she doesn't know. On the one hand, the dog might not attack someone she knows. On the other hand, why would a stranger go after someone with a dog? Makes it more difficult to snatch her quietly and they left evidence (the dog) behind. :thinking:

I wonder if ZuZu got in a car with someone she knew while she was walking her dog. If that person harmed her, they might have let the dog out first. I'm thinking of Charli Scott's dog running loose after she disappeared. Her dog had been with her in her vehicle.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Charli-Scott-27-pregnant-Makawao-9-Feb-2014-6

I'm leaning towards someone Zuzu knows. I think that the perp knew that Zuzu was not coming back, so rather than to leave the dog inside, where it wouldn't have food, water, etc., he let the dog loose. As far as the dog still being on its leash, perhaps the perp thought that would make it look as though Zuzu had been harmed by a stranger while taking the dog for a walk -more a random crime of opportunity than by someone close to Zuzu-; I suspect LE will be testing the leash for DNA, but if the perp is someone close enough to Zuzu that it was normal for this individual to walk the dog on a regular basis, then his DNA being on the leash wouldn't be a problem, either. I'm thinking along the lines of the perp in the Charli Scott case: The father of Charli's unborn child was allegedly cold enough to murder her, but he let her dog loose afterwards, which was found -and eventually returned to Charli's family- the day after she went missing. IIRC, I think the perp in the case had a dog that shared the same mother as Charli's dog.

An interview about ZuZu with her father.

"She's brilliant, she's beautiful--she's--missing," Verk said.

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/397351721.html

OT: I apologize for the huge spacing in some of my posts. There's wonky stuff going on and otherwise they are all run together.

An interview about ZuZu with her father.

"She's brilliant, she's beautiful--she's--missing," Verk said.

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/397351721.html

So Zuzu went missing in the early morning hours on Wednesday, but was not reported missing until Friday, and it was her mom who contacted the police ... I'm so sorry, but this one is not going to end well ....

OT: I apologize for the huge spacing in some of my posts. There's wonky stuff going on and otherwise they are all run together.

So Zuzu went missing in the early morning hours on Wednesday, but was not reported missing until Friday, and it was her mom who contacted the police ... I'm so sorry, but this one is not going to end well ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member