UCLA B-Ball players arrested in China-being detained...

If it happened in the US I would tend to agree with you but I don't think college basketball athletes have much leverage in China.

However, I do wonder if the story is true. All three of them stole sunglasses? In China? Awfully stupid if it's true!

I agree, and of course there's a chance because they did stand out, what with being tall and so "American" in appearance they were blamed even though they didn't steal anything. They would have to be beyond stupid to think they'd get away with it. I'm not sure I believe the accusations yet.

Ball’s father, LaVar, who is in China, told ESPN that he was “going to wait until I get more intel on what’s going on” before making a comment. The Ball family is being followed by a reality television crew for the Facebook Watch program “Ball in the Family.”

China’s justice system has an extremely high conviction rate, which critics have said is indicative of its unfairness. In China, those detained, including foreigners, can be held for prolonged periods without a trial and subject to harsh conditions and violence. Still, given the high-profile nature of the case, the players could be given preferential treatment.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/08/sports/liangelo-ball-ucla-china-shoplifting.html

Seriously, they couldn’t have picked a store here in the US where they would just get their hands slapped and sent back to play, they had to go out of country to steal, and they chose China!!!! Really REALLY stupid of them.

Has it been proven they shoplifted?

Has it been proven they shoplifted?

What scares me is they are being accused of it. And the items were found in their room. I believe they were arrested and then released to stay in their hotel rooms. I am worried for these kids.

What scares me is they are being accused of it. And the items were found in their room. I believe they were arrested and then released to stay in their hotel rooms. I am worried for these kids.

I haven't read anywhere as to what was found, if anything, in the room - although they have been arrested.

I haven't read anywhere as to what was found, if anything, in the room - although they have been arrested.

From what I have read on this thread so far, the stolen items were found in their backpacks. So, they have to spend 20 days in their hotel room. Real "hard time". Like I said before, they'll be back playing hoops before the season starts.

From what I have read on this thread so far, the stolen items were found in their backpacks. So, they have to spend 20 days in their hotel room. Real "hard time". Like I said before, they'll be back playing hoops before the season starts.

What do people usually get for shoplifting? Is 20 days in their room unusual? Often times they're let go with just a warning and a no trespass onto the store property.

I agree, and of course there's a chance because they did stand out, what with being tall and so "American" in appearance they were blamed even though they didn't steal anything. They would have to be beyond stupid to think they'd get away with it. I'm not sure I believe the accusations yet.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/08/sports/liangelo-ball-ucla-china-shoplifting.html

I don't think the accusations were random or bogus. The teams were guests of the huge 'Alibaba' holding group, who had just bought the rights to pac10 sports and planned to roll out the teams publicly, to drum up fan's interest. So having to arrest 3 players for shoplifting was not an optimum situation for that business giant. I can't see any reason that the police would manufacture an accusation like this.

College students can be really stupid and can make very bad choices sometimes. I tend to believe that is what happened here. JMO

"Hangzhou-based tech giant Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (BABA, -2.03%), which sponsors the annual Pac-12 basketball games in China, declined to comment, as did the Hangzhou police.

ESPN reported that 20 policemen came to the hotel and questioned players from both UCLA and Georgia Tech. The players from Georgia Tech were cleared in the incident.

local police were called to the hotel where both teams were staying in Hangzhou and inspected UCLA's bus as players waited to depart for practice. Police interviewed players from both teams before clearing three players from Georgia Tech, according to a statement released by the school."

http://www.nydailynews.com/newswire...rtedly-involved-shoplifting-article-1.3617542

What do people usually get for shoplifting? Is 20 days in their room unusual? Often times they're let go with just a warning and a no trespass onto the store property.

I haven't read that nor seen anything in the news that stolen item(s) were found on them.

I haven't read that nor seen anything in the news that stolen item(s) were found on them.

In the USA they would need more than the items being found on them to arrest them. I don't know what it's like in China but just having the sunglasses (if they did) shouldn't hold up anyway. I get keeping them in their rooms though - what else can they do but keep them out of trouble?

I read this in a post up thread, maybe it's not true ??? I hope it's not true.

Almost 24 hours in questioning, seriously?

The three students - freshmen LiAngelo Ball, Cody Riley and Jalen Hill - were taken into police custody on Tuesday morning for questioning and released at around 4 a.m. on Wednesday, one of the sources said.

Chinese authorities have up to 37 days to decide whether to pursue official approval for a formal arrest, Margaret Lewis, a law professor at Seton Hall University in New Jersey who researches China’s legal system, told the Los Angeles Times.

Often, however, China will deport foreigners suspected of having committed relatively minor offences without going through the whole process.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...ting-in-china-confined-to-hotel-idUSKBN1D919J

Louis Vuitton sunglasses go from 400 to 1900 American dollars. So they are not going to be given a 'warning' and no trespass order. They are in another country, as guests of that country, to be ambassadors of the pac-10. This is serious and an international incident, at this point.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla-ball-china-20171108-story.html
"The three UCLA basketball players questioned over shoplifting allegations in Hangzhou, China, could face a lengthy legal limbo depending on the actions of authorities handling their case, an expert in Chinese law said Wednesday.

Chinese authorities have up to 37 days before deciding whether to obtain official approval for an arrest, said Margaret K. Lewis, a Seton Hall professor of law specializing in the Chinese legal system.

That doesn’t mean that authorities would necessarily take that long in a case that reportedly involves merchandise taken from a Louis Vuitton store next to the team hotel.

“This timeline could go very quickly,” Lewis said. “We could have someone say tomorrow, ‘No, the evidence isn’t clear,’ or it could take a long time.”

Lewis said an arrest would trigger an investigation that could last up to two additional months before prosecutors decided whether to bring formal charges.

“If formal charges are brought against the basketball players … the conviction rate in China is over 99%,” Lewis said. “What’s important in this early stage is what charges are brought, because once they are brought it becomes an issue of what the sentence will be, not whether they will be found guilty or not.”

A court case probably would be heard before a three-judge panel, Lewis said. Possible punishment for a conviction would be based on multiple factors, Lewis said, including the value of the merchandise, the level of cooperation among the players and whether they had appeared repentant."

Link to items were found in their backpacks?

The three were released by police but required to remain at the hotel while the legal process unfolds, "a very good sign," one expert said. “This shows they’re getting special treatment,” said Jerome Cohen, faculty director of New York University’s U.S.-Asia Law Institute. “Normally, the Chinese do not give bail, certainly not this early in a case that they’re going to prosecute. … It usually is only given at the convenience of the police.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...-severe-punishment/1ddyicvv8qjff1evr02vxl8uni

Experts agreed that President Donald Trump's visit to China, which began Wednesday, could work in the players' favor because it will put the country's legal system under a spotlight.

Louis Vuitton sunglasses go from 400 to 1900 American dollars. So they are not going to be given a 'warning' and no trespass order. They are in another country, as guests of that country, to be ambassadors of the pac-10. This is serious and an international incident, at this point.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ucla-ball-china-20171108-story.html
"The three UCLA basketball players questioned over shoplifting allegations in Hangzhou, China, could face a lengthy legal limbo depending on the actions of authorities handling their case, an expert in Chinese law said Wednesday.

Chinese authorities have up to 37 days before deciding whether to obtain official approval for an arrest, said Margaret K. Lewis, a Seton Hall professor of law specializing in the Chinese legal system.

That doesn’t mean that authorities would necessarily take that long in a case that reportedly involves merchandise taken from a Louis Vuitton store next to the team hotel.

“This timeline could go very quickly,” Lewis said. “We could have someone say tomorrow, ‘No, the evidence isn’t clear,’ or it could take a long time.”

Lewis said an arrest would trigger an investigation that could last up to two additional months before prosecutors decided whether to bring formal charges.

“If formal charges are brought against the basketball players … the conviction rate in China is over 99%,” Lewis said. “What’s important in this early stage is what charges are brought, because once they are brought it becomes an issue of what the sentence will be, not whether they will be found guilty or not.”

A court case probably would be heard before a three-judge panel, Lewis said. Possible punishment for a conviction would be based on multiple factors, Lewis said, including the value of the merchandise, the level of cooperation among the players and whether they had appeared repentant."

I don't see an answer to my question?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back