UCLA B-Ball players arrested in China-being detained...

See post #2

"According to talk radio."

Try this. They searched the bus, but I don't see where they actually FOUND anything.

Police inspected the UCLA team bus’ cargo compartment as players on the bus waited to go to practice. After a lengthy delay, players eventually got off the board and returned to the hotel. Additional police vehicles arrived at the hotel around 11:40 a.m. local time.
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/11/07/ucla-basketball-team-questioned-by-police-in-china/

Local police were called to the team hotel for both UCLA and Georgia Tech on Tuesday morning to investigate an unknown matter.
Police inspected the UCLA team bus’ cargo compartment as players on the bus waited to go to practice. After a lengthy delay, players eventually got off the board and returned to the hotel. Additional police vehicles arrived at the hotel around 11:40 a.m. local time
http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...-georgia-tech-players/4yROH1OaRv4zBPAiHOod9O/

In the USA they would have to have proof the players didn't have the sunglasses when they entered the store, took the sunglasses, left the store with the sunglasses and were found with the sunglasses after leaving the store, but I don't know the law in China. From what I read above it's unclear they have to have the sunglasses in their possession to be brought in for questioning.

http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...-georgia-tech-players/4yROH1OaRv4zBPAiHOod9O/

In the USA they would have to have proof the players didn't have the sunglasses when they entered the store, took the sunglasses, left the store with the sunglasses and were found with the sunglasses after leaving the store, but I don't know the law in China. From what I read above it's unclear they have to have the sunglasses in their possession to be brought in for questioning.

And why arrest 3 of them? Did they all hold it as they walked out of the store?? From what I can read between the lines, it was one pair of sunglasses.

And why arrest 3 of them? Did they all hold it as they walked out of the store?? From what I can read between the lines, it was one pair of sunglasses.

If they suspect one of them can they question all three of them to try to figure it out? (For almost 24 hours! To me that says they were desperate for a confession) They must have cameras in the store, and if it was found in a backpack it seems like they would only take in the person who owned the backpack. It's all questionable to me but I admit I don't know the first thing about Chinese law!

This may sound contradictory BUT, I hope they are given special treatment, and allowed to come home and then NOT given special treatment once home. Hopefully with President Trump being in China they will be able to come home soon.

This may sound contradictory BUT, I hope they are given special treatment, and allowed to come home and then NOT given special treatment once home. Hopefully with President Trump being in China they will be able to come home soon.

Yes it does. Why would you want to see them get special treatment that you or I wouldn't get. Once their home, our legal system can't touch them.

Yes it does. Why would you want to see them get special treatment that you or I wouldn't get. Once their home, our legal system can't touch them.

Well, exactly. Our legal system doesn't have anything to do with this.

Because they are so young. They did a very stupid thing,They need to be punished but not there, not in China. The punishment there would be too harsh. Are you saying our legal system can't touch them because what they did was done in another country? If the legaI system here can't touch them I would hope their parents would punish them, I know if my child were one of them I would.

Those kids obviously have never watched "Locked Up Abroad".

If they would have seen just one episode before leaving the country they never would have entertained stealing something over there.

That show is terrifying to see what can happen when caught doing illegal things in other countries.

I do wonder if maybe just one pair of sunglasses was taken by one of them but maybe all 3 of them were "together" and walking around the store together and maybe even knew that one of them had taken something. Maybe the others were guilty by association.

Its just hard to believe they all decided to grab a pair of glasses each.

And usually the really expensive glasses are behind glass cases so it almost sounds to me that maybe a bait and switch was done. Like maybe they asked to see a lot of pairs of glasses and got the clerk confused and one pair wasnt returned as they got up to leave.

I dont know. Just hard to believe all three of them would decide to walk out the store with a pair each without paying for them.

Because they are so young. They did a very stupid thing,They need to be punished but not there, not in China. The punishment there would be too harsh. Are you saying our legal system can't touch them because what they did was done in another country? If the legaI system here can't touch them I would hope their parents would punish them, I know if my child were one of them I would.

UCLA & that Alibaba Group only make money if those 3 kids play ball.

Since Alibaba Group seems to be based in and influential in China, these three are lucky.

And American kids who idolize sports figures may get the idea that stealing is OK if you sink enough 3 point shots....

JMHO YMMV LRR

They aren't children to be punished by their parents. They're adults.

They aren't children to be punished by their parents. They're adults.

They're college students, even if they are on scholarship they would still need financial help, let them get jobs instead of money from their parents. If the parents are paying for their cars, insurance, any money they get from the parents should be stopped. Let them earn their own money, that would be punishment for someone who is used to having money given to them.

“I ain’t got nothing to say,” 18-year-old LiAngelo Ball said Thursday evening, sounding despondent and scared when reached by phone in his room. “They don’t want us to talk.”

The rest of the team left Hangzhou for Shanghai on Wednesday for this weekend’s game against Georgia Tech, but representatives from the university and the Pac-12 Conference are staying with the accused.

Ball’s outspoken father, LaVar Ball, his wife, Tina, and their youngest son LaMelo — in China filming episodes for their Facebook reality show “Ball in the Family” — continued with the team.

The players are not technically under house arrest and can walk around the area.

Officers nodded familiarity when asked about the situation, which one termed “the foreigner shoplifting incident.” They directed questions to police headquarters. No one answered repeat calls.

http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-china-ucla-detainment-20171109-story.html

A big problem is that we assume our value system is the same as others. The players & their parent/parents may be totally different than others.

A big problem is that we assume our value system is the same as others. The players & their parent/parents may be totally different than others.

And China is totally different from the USA. I don't trust their legal system for a second.

And China is totally different from the USA. I don't trust their legal system for a second.

I don't trust their legal system either. However, I don't see why they would want to manufacture an incident. I think they are trying to resolve this as seriously as we are.

It is not good to get arrested in China.

You guys remember that show "Locked up Abroad"? It's not good to get arrested anywhere I'm sure, but the thought of being arrested overseas is frightening....I'm sure these guys learned a very hard lesson, I would think...

I don't trust their legal system either. However, I don't see why they would want to manufacture an incident. I think they are trying to resolve this as seriously as we are.

Perhaps they made a mistake.

Gotta hear the players side of the story to make any kind of assessment on the issue. If they really did it and got caught red handed, it will be hard for them to deny. Also, you would think a Luis V store would have surveillance cameras, so if there is no video and the players are denying it, and they didn't actually get caught with stolen merchandise. I would tend to believe them. It is also possible they thought a store owner or manager gave them a gift... who knows!

Gotta hear the players side of the story to make any kind of assessment on the issue. If they really did it and got caught red handed, it will be hard for them to deny. Also, you would think a Luis V store would have surveillance cameras, so if there is no video and the players are denying it, and they didn't actually get caught with stolen merchandise. I would tend to believe them. It is also possible they thought a store owner or manager gave them a gift... who knows!

I think that because they were arrested that the Chinese police did find LV sunglasses in the hotel room or have tape showing item(s) being stolen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back