Identified! UK - Abandoned airport baby 'Gary Gatwick' seeks his mother 25 years later - Steve Hydes

Thank you and please anyone ask any questions I will try to answer as best as I can
Welcome, Gary. We have some incredibly talented sleuths here. Thanks for being aboard WS. Your story holds great interest - I recall hearing of it at the time here in the U.S., though in those pre-internet days word from abroad was a bit harder to come by - and remembered it directly I saw the Guardian piece in the original post above.

Gary, have you ever received a letter of sorts or a phone call from anyone who knew anything?

Thank you all
Just a brief bit about myself i was abandoned as a baby in gatwick airport. They think I was 10 days old and had been in the toilet aprox hour before I was found.
I have been searching for my real parents or for any information for the past 7 years and have not heard anything apart from the lady that found me social worker and police man that were involved in my case!
As I know nothing about my self not a name or a date of birth the only way I could try to find anything was to go public I started with local news and that progressed to news papers a documentary in 2006 and then again in 2011 my story has gone world wide and I still get the odd message saying it has just been shown again in other country's! But despite all this I still have nothing not even a clue!

This is my Facebook page if anyone would like to have a look hope this works
http://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/Gar...y-abandoned/181404638541470?sk=info&filter=12

I am not sure which DNA company you can send your DNA to and names are provided as to possible matches as well. It maybe 123.me? Does anyone know about that type of DNA Company?

The only thing we have side kick is a few days AfterI was abandoned there was a phone call from a young sounding women saying she was the mother and that my name was Michael she said it was because her father would kill her she gave the name and number of a women! Apparantly the police looked into this and nothing came of it! There was also CCTV of a man and a women carrying a bundle into the airport (cctv wasn't great) police out out a appeal but again nothing! :(

I am already on a DNA database as they did this in my documentary unfortunately no matches

The only thing we have side kick is a few days AfterI was abandoned there was a phone call from a young sounding women saying she was the mother and that my name was Michael she said it was because her father would kill her she gave the name and number of a women! Apparantly the police looked into this and nothing came of it! There was also CCTV of a man and a women carrying a bundle into the airport (cctv wasn't great) police out out a appeal but again nothing! :(

I see. I wonder who that woman's number was? Geez. Do you know if the footage is still available of the man and woman carrying a bundle?

Hi Gary and welcome to WS! There are a great many wonderfull sleuths here, hopefully we can be of some help to you.

I'm not very familiar with this case and have only read the thread, no media as of yet. The first thing that came to mind was if you were given the telephone number from where the call came from claiming to be your mother? That phone number could open some doors as a starting point to search for a particular neighborhood, old phone directories etc.....

Will try to do some more catching up on this case when I'm not so sleepy.

Praying we find some answers for you, Gary.

Yes, I was thinking of the phone number as well, if you could contact the police dept who received the call, perhaps they still have the number on record. That would be golden.

My thought would be to check the registry of midwives in the area, both the hospital midwives and home-based midwives and see if there were any women who were lost to followup care around that time. At 10-days, the woman would have had at least one more, if not two more, postnatal appointments to verify her health.

wanted to welcome you and hope you find the answers you are looking for.

My thought would be to check the registry of midwives in the area, both the hospital midwives and home-based midwives and see if there were any women who were lost to followup care around that time. At 10-days, the woman would have had at least one more, if not two more, postnatal appointments to verify her health.

Ooo, excellent thought mom2six!

Perhaps she does not want to be found.

She has had 25 years to set things right, so either she is dead or she went on with her life.

Perhaps she does not want to be found.

She has had 25 years to set things right, so either she is dead or she went on with her life.

You never quite "go on with your life" after placing a child for adoption (or in this case, leaving a child). Just because she hasn't surfaced as of yet does not mean she is uninterested. It is a bit awkward to come forward when you have left your child in an airport and have to deal with the ugliness of how the media and others could treat you if you present yourself to the public.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

You never quite "go on with your life" after placing a child for adoption (or in this case, leaving a child). Just because she hasn't surfaced as of yet does not mean she is uninterested. It is a bit awkward to come forward when you have left your child in an airport and have to deal with the ugliness of how the media and others could treat you if you present yourself to the public.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

True, I have also thought of her fear to come forward having this in the media. My wish tho, for her if interested, and I can't see why she would not be interested to meet the baby boy she gave birth too. (most natural mother's who relinquish do want to meet) despite the fear. It's a natural transaction. However, if she was to be found and wished to meet Gary, it could happen in a low profile environment. No one but Gary would need to know in all due respect.

Gary,
I found this on FB today.

http://www.dna-testing-adviser.com/

Watch the video, as he explains his situation. He found his father through a DNA Paternity Test. And, you can submit questions as well. I wouldn't rely on just one DNA test you had done. Good Luck!

New DNA testing services designed for genealogy purposes can also be used for adoption search.

Male adoptees, like me, have used the Y-DNA test to determine the surnames of our biological fathers. This works, because certain genetic markers on a man’s Y chromosome get handed down from father to son—just like a last name.

Until recently, there has not been a really good test to help female adoptees. But all that has changed.

In late 2009 DNA testing company 23andMe introduced Relative Finder. Then early in 2010, Family Tree DNA introduced Family Finder. Both tests work for men and women.

From the above link under: Adoptee

I did the Family Tree thing as a distant cousin's working on our family genealogy. Can't quite remember what it cost as she paid for it. Under $100 though, I think.

Wow, Gary! I just read your amazing story! I have 3 adopted children myself, but their parentage is known. I cannot imagine what you are dealing with. I understand very well that my children's history is their own and respect their wishes if they some day pursue a relationship with their biological families (my middle son's paternal grandmother is a big part of our lives to this day and she is "grandma" to all 3 of my kids!)

I was wondering if you have tried a search of birth certificates in the UK region during the 2 weeks prior to your birth. Unless your mother gave birth to you all on her own, I would imagine that a birth certificate might have been generated or some record of your birth at a hospital. I would have no idea of how many births that would entail, but would imagine that all of the other records are searchable for future applications for social security numbers (or the equivalent in the UK,) school records, death records, etc...to match up at perhaps narrow down your search somewhat. While it sounds like a big job, perhaps one of these resources you are working with can help you with the costs, such as the Guardian.

Another clue would be that your mother was likely very young, as she was apparently still living with her parents at the time and feared her father. She was also unwed, obviously, so that would limit the scope as well.

Also, it is very unlikely that she did this alone. Someone must have assisted with your birth and early care. If she was living at home, there isn't a way she could have hid your existence in the home for up to 10 days! Someone heard you cry. Someone else must have seen you, so keep trying, as I hardly believe she would have been the only person on earth that knew of your existence.

As far as your belongings that were left with you-is there any way of finding out where they were purchased? Often times, the manufaturer of clothing items can look at the garment/tags and determine where these were sold and during which times. Was a cheap garment or perhaps one that would indicate better financial circumstances?

You may also wish to have the garment tested for DNA. I'm not sure if it was used and washed after you were found, but perhaps your mother left some DNA behind-maybe some tears, a kiss, fingerprints, etc... You never know. If she has ever been arrested you might find a match or even if a sibling or other family member, you never know.

Also, you should keep in mind that your mother may have already very well heard your story and cannot come forward for whatever reason. Perhaps the next time you send out a story, suggest she send an anonymous letter to you that would simply let you know that she has heard your story.

Whatever the case, you have a wonderful gift of knowing that she loved you, cared for you and probably watched very closely to insure you were found safely. My heart breaks for her, but she gave you a very selfless gift of life, like you said. Treasure it and enjoy it whatever the outcome of your search.

I wish you the best of luck!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back