Identified! UK - Abandoned airport baby 'Gary Gatwick' seeks his mother 25 years later - Steve Hydes

I see. I wonder who that woman's number was? Geez. Do you know if the footage is still available of the man and woman carrying a bundle?

According to the Guardian article posted above, the footage and all the police records have been destroyed.

Hi sorry for the delay in replying I popped on here the other day but didn't realise there was another page still learning!
Unfortunately when I did my documentary it turned out all my evidence was destroyed so no history of the CCTV or phone call I have a little information on the call but no details. I also agree someone must have known about me hard to hide a 10 day old baby! And as far as the birth register i was checked and never registerd all I am in is the abandoned babies register and that is a good idea about the midwifes but wouldn't know where to start and even if they wiuld have it on file was all paper and pen those days:( sorry for delay in messages and I hope I have answers all UR questions sorry if I missed any one out

If you think it would be beneficial to follow up the midwife lead, the best way to find a midwife is through a midwife. It is not unusual in the states for midwives to practice 20, 30, or even more years, so if England is similar, there is a good chance you may be able to find a midwife who is currently practicing or recently retired who has been around since then. It would take a lot of legwork, but it might be possible to develop a list of contacts and a subsequent records check. After thinking it through, I think it might be most likely that she birthed on her own. Even a home birth with an attendant would have resulted in a birth certificate. But that doesn't mean she never saw a caregiver. So you might want to identify a 6 week period or so which would encompass your due date and ask whether there are any records in which a mother was seen who would have been due during that span, but at some point left care, probably without notification, transferring records, etc. It would be easiest to start with hospital midwives, I would think, as records are more likely to be kept in an archives somewhere.

Gary Gatwick Steve Hydes appeals for help to find the mum who abandoned him

July 27, 2014 5:46PM

WHEN he was found asleep in the toilets of one of the world’s busiest airports as a newborn baby, no one knew who he was, or how he came to be there.

More than 28 years later, it’s still a mystery to Steven Hydes, the man known as Gary Gatwick.

The then newborn had been found abandoned in a toilet at Gatwick Airport with two baby grows (onsies) and three blankets. He was around 10 days old.

But it’s something that remains important to him and with Australia’s large British population, Mr Hydes is hoping someone here may know something so he can fill in the missing pieces of his life.
Mr Hydes said it was entirely possible someone in Australia knew his mother or knew their story and if so appealed for them to contact him.

“There could be a chance that someone in Australia may know something of my past as I was abandoned in an airport and don’t know where I came from (so) my biological family could be residing anywhere in the world,” he said

Do you know who Steven Hydes is, or where his biological mother could be?

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...ho-abandoned-him/story-fnet085v-1227003300938

From that same report...

303151-7bc58984-12f4-11e4-ae81-95568c4ed36e.jpg

The items found along with the baby boy known as Gary Gatwick. Source: Facebook

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/pa...ho-abandoned-him/story-fnet085v-1227003300938

It was not unusual for young unwed Irish girls to go England to hide a pregnancy. Unfortunately it is now so long ago and records aren't kept like they are now
Flights to Ireland that day ..would there still be records of who flew on that day? Were there homes for unwed mothers waiting the birth in England.
We had them here in Australia run by the Catholic nuns. They could be checked for anyone who had left that day. It would have all been secret back then but times have changed. Not being registered .....she most probably was given the paper work to register but didn't put it through. Here in Australia it was up to the parent to register the baby. My gut feeling tells me she was Irish and returned to Ireland with no one knowing she had been pregnant. JMO

DNA databases can show what family name is related to you. I would go with that. I see alot of it on FamilyTree.com and Ancestry.com.

The proof is in the blood, iykwim.....at least for the paternal side. It should be fairly easy.

I feel a concealed home birth is most likely, because any kind of medical attendant would have involved the authorities - leading to birth registration (which we know from Gary's post the police checked at the time with negative results), follow up from Health Visitors, etc. Midwives would have been working for the NHS and would not have kept it secret.

But also, it may be significant that this is not an abandoned newborn - "Gary"'s mother somehow managed to keep him for 10 days/two weeks. He had proper baby clothes - were they brand new or used, I wonder? Concealing a pregnancy, and a birth, is one thing, but a baby is noisy and hard to hide, even for a few days.

The Irish suggestion sounds possible. I do wonder if maybe, sadly, she intended to give up the baby for formal adoption but didn't want the possibility of any future contact which could not have been avoided under British adoption laws?

posted yesterday on FB by Gary

Please share in the hope my birth mother sees this.

Here is my story... I was abandoned as a baby at Gatwick Airport on the 10th of April 1986. I was found in the ladies toilets wearing baby grows and wrapped in blankets. I was believed to have been 10 days old.#

Every year at Christmas it makes me think of my biological family.
I want them to know I am very happy and have had a great upbringing and have two wonderful children, but would also love to meet them when they are ready.

Thank you and wish you all a happy Christmas
https://www.facebook.com/LostBox/ph...527301573798/1014901855236337/?type=3&theater

I remember this well as it was my aunt who found him.

That is very interesting and really quite special!
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/airport-baby-who-abandoned-toilets-5806763
In a bid to narrow down his background, landscape gardener Steve, previously travelled to Edinburgh University where he submitted his DNA to Dr Jim Wilson. The geneticist was able to reveal that his parents could be from Scotland, England, Ireland, Germany or France.
attachment.php

Steve Hydes

Attachments

• 4221396001_4270297702001_4270233629001-vs.jpg
    4221396001_4270297702001_4270233629001-vs.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 40
I am thrilled for him but also devastated that his Mum has died. After searching for so long... that's brutal. It does appear that his father did not know he existed.

So that answers a tiny part of the story... but with his Mum gone he may never know the whole story. Maybe she was on holiday when she delivered? So she was able to keep him for a while before returning home?

Hopefully someone will be able to help piece together what happened. So glad he has some answers now!

@tronixx

did you see this?

Great news -- but that link doesn't work for me?

Here are some others:

Baby Abandoned At Airport In 1986 Tracks Down Father

Baby Abandoned at Airport 33 Years Ago Finds His Birth Parents, Only to Learn His Mother Died

Seems that his search continues. With his mother's name and father's input, he should be able to learn more -- if he chooses.

Best to all involved, Laughing

I’ve been following this story for so long in the media and in recent years on Steve’s Facebook, didn’t realise there was a Websleuths thread. So happy Steve had a DNA breakthrough in the spring, but sad for him his biological mother has passed away. He says his biological father and siblings didn’t know about him and he’s still hoping more info about the circumstances around his first 10 or so days and birth will come up. He still doesn’t know his birthday. He also said in comments asking for updates that he’s trying to make sure his bio family are comfortable (since it was all a shock to them) before he tells the public more. I would love to hear more of what he’s found out but I do understand. He’s being really kind and understanding, his parents have raised him well. I hope he gets more answers and finds some peace.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back