UK UK - Alistair Wilson, 30, murdered at home, Nairn, Scotland, 28 Nov 2004

Sky probably reporting the same basic details. Would be interesting to know the full substance of the complaint.

Nov 28, 2023
'It was a case that sent shockwaves through Scotland, and 19 years since Nairn banker Alistair Wilson was shot on his doorstep, his killer remains a mystery.The 30-year-old was murdered at his home on Sunday, November 28, 2004, while his two sons were upstairs.Despite several appeals for information and numerous lines of inquiry, no arrests have been made since and no motive established.'

Refresher, 2022
''The decking at the Havelock Hotel was built in the spring of 2004 without the required planning consent.
It was the subject of a retrospective planning application at the time of the murder.
Mr Wilson lodged a written objection with Highland Council, and police said a copy of the letter was sent to the hotel on Friday - two days before the shooting.
Det Insp Gary Winter said detectives knew that Mr Wilson's name was known and shared within the pub at the time.
He said: "Today we believe the most likely motive, based on what was a current grievance in Alistair's life at the time of his murder, was the fact that he had objected in writing about a large decking area that had been built in the pub car park directly opposite where he stayed."

''Det Insp Winter said officers were trying to identify who could have been involved in the construction of the
original decking in 2004, and also people who visited the Havelock Hotel the weekend of the murder.''
1701821642137.png
Decking at the Havelock Hotel (pictured in 2008) was built in 2004 without the required planning consent

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023
'It was a case that sent shockwaves through Scotland, and 19 years since Nairn banker Alistair Wilson was shot on his doorstep, his killer remains a mystery.The 30-year-old was murdered at his home on Sunday, November 28, 2004, while his two sons were upstairs.Despite several appeals for information and numerous lines of inquiry, no arrests have been made since and no motive established.'

Refresher, 2022
''The decking at the Havelock Hotel was built in the spring of 2004 without the required planning consent.
It was the subject of a retrospective planning application at the time of the murder.
Mr Wilson lodged a written objection with Highland Council, and police said a copy of the letter was sent to the hotel on Friday - two days before the shooting.
Det Insp Gary Winter said detectives knew that Mr Wilson's name was known and shared within the pub at the time.
He said: "Today we believe the most likely motive, based on what was a current grievance in Alistair's life at the time of his murder, was the fact that he had objected in writing about a large decking area that had been built in the pub car park directly opposite where he stayed."

''Det Insp Winter said officers were trying to identify who could have been involved in the construction of the
original decking in 2004, and also people who visited the Havelock Hotel the weekend of the murder.''
View attachment 466102
Decking at the Havelock Hotel (pictured in 2008) was built in 2004 without the required planning consent
I just don't believe an objection to a retrospective planning application for something that had existed for 4 years would be sufficient cause to murder someone, and that wouldn't affect the objection which was ultimately unsuccessful anyway. IMO it would have been obvious at the time that the application would be approved. How many other objections were made or was AW's the only one? I think this herring is red.

I just don't believe an objection to a retrospective planning application for something that had existed for 4 years would be sufficient cause to murder someone, and that wouldn't affect the objection which was ultimately unsuccessful anyway. IMO it would have been obvious at the time that the application would be approved. How many other objections were made or was AW's the only one? I think this herring is red.
If it had been the other way around and the Landlord getting killed because AW was at the end of his tether with the noise etc then it might have been the case imo, murders usually fall within the trinity of sex, drugs or money .
As an aside was the retrospective planning approved or rejected ?

It was in the paper the other day that the police have their sights on a local man who is currently in prison for drugs offences. He was an ex 999 worker.

To me it's as clear as day they know who did it but don't have the evidence to prosecute.

If it had been the other way around and the Landlord getting killed because AW was at the end of his tether with the noise etc then it might have been the case imo, murders usually fall within the trinity of sex, drugs or money .
As an aside was the retrospective planning approved or rejected ?
Approved.

It was in the paper the other day that the police have their sights on a local man who is currently in prison for drugs offences. He was an ex 999 worker.

To me it's as clear as day they know who did it but don't have the evidence to prosecute.

What service was he a member of?

There's DNA?

Is this new information?
Possibly newly released that the police have this partial DNA. But assume they had it from the crime scene? (Just kept from public). I think they are close to getting the suspect now surely?!? Wonder what police did to upset the family though? Didn't keep them informed/updated enough recently? Or are they complaining about the whole/historical handling of the case/investigation in general?

There is something that sticks out about this crime that makes me believe that the conversation that was had between Mr Wilson, and the man at the door, was definitely Work related- whether genuine or not!

I went back and had a look at the transcripts of the interviews that Mrs Wilson has given ( if anyone would like me to post them), & she talks about how it was just a bit strange because Alistair had work the next day…Said in that context it’s almost as though she’s thinking why couldn’t they wait until the following day?

The other thing is that when Mr Wilson first went over to the pub, it wasn’t to ask for help. She said it was to see if she recognised anybody!

You’ve got to wonder why she thought the killer may be over in the pub, or thought the person may have come from the pub. I have an idea…

It wasn’t until after that first visit when she went back over to the house to call 999 that she went back to the pub a second time to ask for help. In all, she went across to the pub three times.

Again, just let me know if anybody wants me to post the transcripts of the interviews as it’s fairly easy to work out the conversation they had once Mr Wilson was back inside based on Mrs Wilson’s responses to the interviewer.

If that was the case then surely AW would have told VW that the man at the door was asking him to stuff cash inside the envelope as he owed debt to Paul? From what we know AW was bewildered by the whole encounter and didn't understand why he was given an empty envelope that wasn't addressed to him.

The police have thoroughly investigated the mistaken identity theory and are satisfied that it wasn't the case. The only other AW who was staying in Nairn looked nothing like the victim and was twice his age.

Doorstep assassinations in Scotland are pretty rare, so I don't get how one would randomly occur in Nairn along with the gunman also executing the wrong AW. An unbelievable set of circumstances would have had to came to fruition that night for it to be a case of mistaken identity.
Agreed!

There is something that sticks out about this crime that makes me believe that the conversation that was had between Mr Wilson, and the man at the door, was definitely Work related- whether genuine or not!

I went back and had a look at the transcripts of the interviews that Mrs Wilson has given ( if anyone would like me to post them), & she talks about how it was just a bit strange because Alistair had work the next day…Said in that context it’s almost as though she’s thinking why couldn’t they wait until the following day?

The other thing is that when Mr Wilson first went over to the pub, it wasn’t to ask for help. She said it was to see if she recognised anybody!

You’ve got to wonder why she thought the killer may be over in the pub, or thought the person may have come from the pub. I have an idea…

It wasn’t until after that first visit when she went back over to the house to call 999 that she went back to the pub a second time to ask for help. In all, she went across to the pub three times.

Again, just let me know if anybody wants me to post the transcripts of the interviews as it’s fairly easy to work out the conversation they had once Mr Wilson was back inside based on Mrs Wilson’s responses to the interviewer.
Would like to see the transcripts please.

That's all new to me. Yes, please share these transcripts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back