Found Deceased UK - Caroline Everest, 18, Sheffield, 22 Nov 2015

The inquest also heard from 31-year-old Yousef Tarfasi who was arrested on suspicion of rape in November but subsequently released with no further action.

He confirmed for the first time that he was the person seen in CCTV footage with Ms Everest.

He said he had lied to police about being in the CCTV because he was afraid he would be charged with her murder.

"I was going back home and I ran across her and she was drunk and she was crying," he said.

He added that he held her hand and they walked together to where she told him she lived, at one point getting a taxi which he paid for.

Mr Dorries said the final bit of CCTV footage had shown Ms Everest sitting alone on a wall across the river from where she was found.

Recording a verdict of accidental death, he said: "Whilst the exact circumstances of how she came to be in the water are uncertain it was clearly accidental and without third-party involvement.

"It is apparent that alcohol and hypothermia played a part in the circumstances. It's clear that there was nobody else there."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-36722959

Crikey, that's a LOT of vodka. Fairly sure I wouldn't survive that, bridge fall or no bridge fall.

So was the rape claim not true at all?

Coroner Christopher Dorries recorded a verdict of accidental death and said: “I’m satisfied nobody had harmed Carrie and I’m satisfied she did not set out to take her own life.”

Forensic pathologist Dr Naomi Carter said Carrie was found with bruises and scratches on the knees and elbows and symptoms of hypothermia.

Dr Carter said she ‘cannot exclude’ the possibility of an assault but found no injuries such as a ‘black eye’ or a ‘split lip’ on her face.

She said ‘the immersion in water is very likely to have contributed to her death’ but said drowning was ‘very unlikely’.

Dr Carter told the inquest Carrie had consumed a ‘significant amounts’ of alcohol.

She said in her summary hypothermia, immersion in water and acute intoxication of alcohol were factors in Carrie’s death.

Carrie left her friends and was seen coming out of the club in a ‘stagger’ before heading towards the Devonshire chip shop.

CCTV then picks up Carrie walking with a male and they are seen on Napier Street, near Ecclesall Road, with ‘arms around each other’.

Carrie and the male then ‘embrace’ before they part company around 3.32am near Summerfield Street.

Carrie is seen on CCTV near to where she was found sitting on the wall above the Porter Brook river. She is alone at this point in time.

DC Glaves said CCTV shows Carrie climbing down from the wall on to the banking. She added it was the last time she is seen.

She is then seen going into an area beside the wall which was close to a steep drop into the water, which was 15ft below.

The coroner said it is not known exactly how Miss Everest ended up in the water, especially as she had taken her boots off and left them on the bank.

He said it was possible she fell in or it was even possible she got into the water voluntarily as one of the bizarre consequences that sometimes happen when someone is suffering from hypothermia.

The inquest heard Carrie’s handbag was found on the wall she was sitting on by a member of the public.

Taxi driver Zahir Sultan, who said he recognised Carrie from the police appeal, said he picked Carrie up on Wellington Street with a male. The man asked to go to Dubai Cafe on London Road.

Approaching London Road, the male asked to head up to Cemetery Road.

It was at this point from the earlier CCTV footage that she parts ‘amicably’ from the male near to where she is last seen.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/inque...line-everest-s-death-was-accidental-1-7999551

Crikey, that's a LOT of vodka. Fairly sure I wouldn't survive that, bridge fall or no bridge fall.

So was the rape claim not true at all?

sorry, I seem to have missed that bit out ...here it is

DC Glaves told the court a man was arrested on suspicion of rape but later released without charge.

Read more: http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/inque...-death-was-accidental-1-7999551#ixzz4DpEVrtiB

I guess with the footage of them hugging before parting, it stood in his favour

Oh crikey that's really sad :( Why did she drink so much? And why didn't she let the taxi drive her home? So unfortunate that Yousef Tarfasi did not see her home safely.

Oh crikey that's really sad :( Why did she drink so much? And why didn't she let the taxi drive her home? So unfortunate that Yousef Tarfasi did not see her home safely.

How could he have known where she lived? Perhaps she was incapable of telling him, or the taxi driver, her address.

I wonder if it was true that she was asked to leave the club because she was so drunk. You would think some effort would be made to find the people she had come with.

Well yes, maybe she wasn't able to tell her exact address anymore.

It's so awful. Had she not died it would have gone down as a very messy night out and she'd be laughing about it now. I suppose the only "positive" is that Caroline probably didn't suffer that night, with the amount of alcohol she'd had and confusion due to hypothermia she probably just passed out and never woke up. Such a terrible waste of a young life :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn
Back