UK UK - Christopher Halliwell, suspected serial killer

What's everyone's take on Steve Fulcher? Anyone feel less than fully inclined to accept his opinion(s)?

Halliwell claimed he was abused by his mother, Sophia — who died six years ago — as a child.

His mother's name seems to have been Zofia. If a likely marriage in 1963 in Huddersfield RD is the correct one, then both of Halliwell's parents are dead, his father having died in 1992 in Huddersfield.

If this is the right people, then it rules out him visiting his father in Yorkshire after 1992.

Just copying this article over from the Becky Godden thread

Interesting point re the date of March 19

Karen Edwards is convinced Christopher Halliwell killed four other girls

Halliwell killed her daughter, Becky Godden, and Sian O'Callaghan

Sally Ann John, Melanie Hall, Linda Razell and Claudia Lawrence could have all been killed by him

Two of the girls vanished on the same date as Miss O'Callaghan

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4LFeW7tMA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I read that article and about the pile of clothing found nearby - but surely finding a shotgun in the pond must have been investigated?

I haven't found another mention of that anywhere yet, but I don't believe in coincidences.

Be very interested if anyone can find news about what LE did about the shotgun.

It's possible that the shotgun was not connected. AFAIK there has been no suggestion that Halliwell was involved in the sorts of crimes that might involve a shotgun.

I'd be looking at the shotgun in connection with unsolved armed robberies or contract killings within a 50, maybe a 100, mile radius prior to around 1990. Until the fall of the Berlin Wall, and the start of the flow of firearms into Western Europe from the former Communist Bloc countries, a shotgun, especially a sawn-off, was the weapon of choice for armed robbers. I can definitely see this as a discard after a specific crime since no farmer or country person would need to chuck a perfectly good shotgun into a pond.

I'd be looking at the shotgun in connection with unsolved armed robberies or contract killings within a 50, maybe a 100, mile radius prior to around 1990.

Using this tool:

https://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm

a 50 mile radius of Ramsbury would take in Bristol and Bath in the west; the outer edge of London in the east; Southampton and Portsmouth on the south coast and Oxford, Cheltenham and Gloucester to the north. In fact, northwards it would almost stretch as far as Stratford upon Avon. That's a very large area in UK terms.

If the pile of clothing was that of his other possible victims, these are probably his trophies, that he's been back to revisit many many times, I would love to know what makes people like him tick. I wonder if there's any articles about him as a child and how he behaved as a child ect.

bbm

Halliwell, who was brought up by his mother and step-father in Galloway, Scotland, had a dysfunctional childhood which his sister, Sarah, claimed left him cold and emotionless.

He was often subjected to severe beatings with a leather strap, but showed little reaction at the time preferring to plot his revenge later in private.
According to his sister he would often pull the legs and wings of insects, but again showed little emotion when doing so.
When he was 15, his mother decided she could no longer cope with him and she placed him into foster care.
But she said he showed virtually no emotion when he was handed over, simply telling her how much he hated his mother and how he would get her back for what she had done.

After leaving school he got ...............

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ous-predator-who-could-have-more-victims.html
-.-.-.-

Halliwell and his sister Sarah were born in Swindon, Wilts., but moved to Kirkcudbrightshire in 1974 after their mother Sofia left their dad, an RAF worker, for another man.

Sarah told how the suffered a dysfunctional childhood and were often beaten by their mum and stepdad with a leather strap - making Halliwell become "cold and emotionless".

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sco...ver-found-guilty-of-murdering-prostitute.html

His mother's name seems to have been Zofia. If a likely marriage in 1963 in Huddersfield RD is the correct one, then both of Halliwell's parents are dead, his father having died in 1992 in Huddersfield.

If this is the right people, then it rules out him visiting his father in Yorkshire after 1992.

October 2012
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ous-predator-who-could-have-more-victims.html

His sister Sarah, from whom he is estranged, said she hadn't spoken to him for nearly 20 years and both their parents are dead. (Since when I don't know yet.)

October 2012

His sister Sarah, from whom he is estranged, said she hadn't spoken to him for nearly 20 years and both their parents are dead. (Since when I don't know yet.)

There is a 2012 report in the Sun which states that his mother died "six years ago", so about 2006.
As mentioned earlier, there is a death registration in 1992 matching his father.
I don't know anything about the step-father.

There is a 2012 report in the Sun which states that his mother died "six years ago", so about 2006.
As mentioned earlier, there is a death registration in 1992 matching his father.
I don't know anything about the step-father.

I use Genes Reunited a lot for basic searches of birth / marriage / death records, but it's only for England and Wales. Is there a way of looking up Scottish records?

:dunno: :dunno:

MichaelaHagueSuspect.jpg

Michaela Hague was 25 years old when she was stabbed to death while working the streets of Sheffield on November 5, 2001.

Michaela Hague, http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/no-police-working-on-sheffield-murder-case-1-6941087

A sex worker told officers she saw a car, believed to be an old style blue Ford Sierra, driving off from the scene.

PC Richard Twigg jotted down Michaela’s description of her attacker on his hand. She told him the man was white, clean shaven, wore a wedding ring and where he picked her up from.

Michaela told the officer he was around 38 years old, about 6ft tall and was wearing a blue fleece and glasses.

http://sexindustry-kills.de/doku.php?id=prostitutionmurders:uk

Attachments

• Halliwell.jpg
    Halliwell.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 16
"A police source said: "From his teens onwards, we are looking at a potential offending period of more than 30 years. We know he travelled all over the country working as a driver, or in the construction industry, and we are also looking at where he took his holidays on his narrow boat. He could have left victims anywhere in the UK."
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/18212...er-myra-hindley-and-becoming-a-serial-killer/

Difficult to link him to specific cases without knowing something of his location, ie where he was living/working at the time. This is something the police will be trying to put together.

I wonder where his boat was moored.

This is the canal network of England and Wales:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network

If Halliwell was based in Swindon, the nearest bit of navigable canal to there is the Kennet and Avon Canal (which goes from Bristol to the River Thames at Reading). However the K&A has only fairly recently become fully navigable again after decades of neglect and restoration. I'm not sure when boats started to make it a base again.

Bearing in mind that the K&A is fairly isolated in relation to the rest of the network, and the speed limit on canals is 4mph (!), there's a good chance he wouldn't get very far - especially as he would have had to chug back the way he came.

On the other hand, he could have been moored up near Oxford, either on the Thames or the Oxford Canal, or somewhere like Gloucester or Tewkesbury on the River Severn. These two options would have given him much better access to the wider network.

Narrowboats are, as you say, a slow form of transport, but there are plenty of railway stations close to both the K&A and the Oxford Canals, especially if he kept a bike on board. A friend of mine has a narrowboat and he manages to get about very freely in this manner.

What's everyone's take on Steve Fulcher? Anyone feel less than fully inclined to accept his opinion(s)?

He seems like an honest old-school copper. During the hunt for Sian it came over very clearly that he was desperately hoping to find her alive, and that he really cared.
We need more like him, but he has been treated appallingly.

Difficult to link him to specific cases without knowing something of his location, ie where he was living/working at the time. This is something the police will be trying to put together.

Of course.

Narrowboats are, as you say, a slow form of transport, but there are plenty of railway stations close to both the K&A and the Oxford Canals, especially if he kept a bike on board. A friend of mine has a narrowboat and he manages to get about very freely in this manner.

Indeed, but I doubt your friend is a possible serial killer. Halliwell's known victims were well concealed, and the possible victims his name is being connected with are women who have been missing for a considerable period. To be able to transport and conceal bodies to that extent really needs a private vehicle, not a bike or train.

Indeed, but I doubt your friend is a possible serial killer. Halliwell's known victims were well concealed, and the possible victims his name is being connected with are women who have been missing for a considerable period. To be able to transport and conceal bodies to that extent really needs a private vehicle, not a bike or train.

I wasn't suggesting that he might use any of those forms of transport to move bodies! :eek:hoh:
Just making the point that it's quite easy to come and go from a narrowboat, for example catching a train back to somewhere you have left your car.

I wasn't suggesting that he might use any of those forms of transport to move bodies! :eek:hoh:

I didn't think you were. The police seemed to be interested in the narrowboat but I suspect it's a red herring. The logistics just don't work.

Just making the point that it's quite easy to come and go from a narrowboat, for example catching a train back to somewhere you have left your car.

True, but the issue remains as to why he would use in connection with any putative killings. It just doesn't make sense to spend a week chugging to Oxford and then get on a train. Why not simply take the train from Swindon in the first place? Or drive. A minicab is a pretty invisible vehicle unless you're looking for one.

As I say, I think the narrowboat is a red herring.

I didn't think you were. The police seemed to be interested in the narrowboat but I suspect it's a red herring. The logistics just don't work.

True, but the issue remains as to why he would use in connection with any putative killings. It just doesn't make sense to spend a week chugging to Oxford and then get on a train. Why not simply take the train from Swindon in the first place? Or drive. A minicab is a pretty invisible vehicle unless you're looking for one.

As I say, I think the narrowboat is a red herring.

I was just responding to your earlier post where you mused about where he moored his boat, and the extent of the canal network.

I don't really follow your argument though. " Why not simply take the train from Swindon in the first place? Or drive." The boat was a leisure activity. He would most likely have driven to wherever it was moored, or got a lift, depending on how long he planned to spend on the boat and how far he intended to go.

I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that he might have invited women on to the boat for a cruise. And maybe killed them there. Canals are mostly not very deep, but they often run alongside rivers where there are deeper waters, and occasionally share their course.

http://www.drifters.co.uk/canal-map-northern-england.html

canals-northern-england.jpg

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/393510/Sex-beast-cabbie-linked-murder-of-three-girls

He was also a huge canal boat fan - and would often travel to use the North of England canal system.

Mr Clark added: "I believe the Chris Halliwell enquiry team should try to establish if he travelled the Rochdale Canal.

"It is one of the most popular narrow boat canals and Halliwell would almost certainly been on it on numerous occasions.

-.-.-

"The divorced father of three had access to 80 taxi cabs and would drive fares across the UK.

OMG, how to identificate only the cars CH used over a period of tens of years!

"Christopher Halliwell’s sadistic nature was chillingly apparent from an early age. He wasn’t like other children — normal children.
He didn’t get invited to birthday parties or have sleepovers or play football with his mates; he didn’t have any.

Apart from spending endless hours fishing, always on his own, the young Halliwell had just one other pastime.
‘He loved trapping spiders and butterflies and taking his time to pull off their legs and wings, one by one,’ said his younger sister Sarah, now 50, this week.

Speaking from her home in Stroud, Gloucestershire, she continued: ‘It was like a hobby to him. He would just smile as these creatures struggled and finally died.’"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...en-night-dumped-girlfriend.html#ixzz4LmZ876mB

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back