UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
3pm live police update ~ Sky news

[video=youtube;y60wDzZt8yg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y60wDzZt8yg&feature=player_embedded[/video]

I was hoping he was found by now. Besides the phone, I do wonder if anything else has been found. Talk about finding a needle in a haystack😕

I've been following this story for a few days and especially today on the news.

It seems - from my perspective at least - that there is a LOT of effort being put into this search to find Corrie. I can't remember a recent UK case like this when an adult has gone missing. Can anyone else think of a case with similar search efforts being made, similar amount of resources dedicated to the search, especially so long after the disappearance?
Am I imagining this or do we think it's because a)He's RAF and/or b)they know more than they're letting on ?

Just watching the presser, heart goes out to his poor mum.

Maybe he accidentally put his phone in the bin with the take away tray/paper, when he was done, or whatever it was he was eating from?

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/c...ing_suffolk_serviceman_has_unfolded_1_4720564

My local paper has a decent timeline feature at the moment.

I'd really like to know which direction he headed in after this short clip. That area has plenty of cctv.

Honington where he was based is in the other direction to Barton Mills. I don't know the bin lorry's route but hopefully if they're able to follow that there will be more cctv.

The phone being found in a bin does worry me. Even after a few drinks I'm very careful about my phone. I'd definitely imagine that to also be the case with a young service man who is hundreds of miles from his family. I really hope there's able to be a positive outcome from this.

The phone is worrying, drunk people drop their phones all the time but not usually into bins IMO and even if it did fall into a bin I'd imagine you'd make a pretty attempt to find it and rubbish is likely to be strewn around the bin so would have been obvious to the bin men.

I wonder why we are only hearing about this now, surely phone pings would be checked in the early days when someone is more likely to remember seeing anything useful

I wonder if he had become separated from his phone at an earlier point in the evening. Maybe he left it somewhere/it was stolen and someone just lobbed it in the bin because they couldn't unlock it.

I suppose it depends on the type of phone, has that been released? A phone thief is going to expect a phone to be locked so IMO wouldn't throw it away and most decent people would try and find the owner, I'm trying to think of other possible solutions.

I wonder why they have waited over a week to make an appeal this is the first I've heard of Corrie going missing. Is there any water in the area went missing or where he could have been heading back to base? I hope Corrie is found soon.

I wonder why they have waited over a week to make an appeal this is the first I've heard of Corrie going missing. Is there any water in the area went missing or where he could have been heading back to base? I hope Corrie is found soon.

Here you go greg, this is the area he went missing from, and the base he is stationed at

It seems - from my perspective at least - that there is a LOT of effort being put into this search to find Corrie. I can't remember a recent UK case like this when an adult has gone missing. Can anyone else think of a case with similar search efforts being made, similar amount of resources dedicated to the search, especially so long after the disappearance?

It's only been just over a week.

And yes, I'm sure there have been other cases which have had similar resources. Claudia Lawrence. The middle aged woman last year who walked miles from outside Newcastle and drowned [herself] in the Tyne. Helen Bailey. I'm sure there are many more.

This is what I find odd. If the phone indeed travelled from Bury St Edmonds to Barton Mills in the bin lorry, this means that Corrie became separated from his phone in Bury. And unless you believe his phone going into the bin and Corrie going missing are unrelated incidents (which is possible, but seems unlikely), then the only conclusion is that whatever happened to him almost certainly happened before he left Bury. This to me suggests foul play, although the police still seem to be playing that possibility down. It's a strange one.

I am wondering why the emphasis has been on his possible 'walking back to base'? Is it an area with no late night cab service available? The fare would be less that 20 quid according to online fare predictors. I suppose he could have tried hitching as well?

Another possibility: Could he have been set upon by a set of brawling lads, roughed up a little too much? His outfit of pink shirt and white jeans might make him an object of ridicule in some crowds :(

I'm disturbed by the phone discovery.

It's only been just over a week.

And yes, I'm sure there have been other cases which have had similar resources. Claudia Lawrence. The middle aged woman last year who walked miles from outside Newcastle and drowned [herself] in the Tyne. Helen Bailey. I'm sure there are many more.

Megan Roberts springs to mind.

Re: the phone in the trash/recycling bin

It seems to me that if there is a record of the weight of the rubbish/recycling collection that contained the phone, it stands to reason that the bin/skip may be part of a commercial route as apposed to city/council collection. It would be difficult to pin down the timing of ping to an exact bin if it was part of a normal residential collection where as commercial collection locations would be more sparse and businesses are more likely to be charged a fee/kg than residential which would make sense of the load record. It may also mean the origin of the bin was a back alley behind a business and not a street-side location.

A little sleuthing on the web:
Locations of City council rubbish bins in public areas can be found here:
http://maps.westsuffolk.gov.uk/
Household bins are emptied every 2 weeks on Mondays:
Next collection:
Refuse - black bin: Monday 10 October
Recycling - blue bin: Monday 3 October
Garden waste - brown bin: Monday 3 October

A couple of companies such as this one offer commercial pick-ups in the area
http://www.businesswaste.co.uk/locations/waste-management-bury-st-edmunds/

I am wondering why the emphasis has been on his possible 'walking back to base'? Is it an area with no late night cab service available? The fare would be less that 20 quid according to online fare predictors. I suppose he could have tried hitching as well?

Another possibility: Could he have been set upon by a set of brawling lads, roughed up a little too much? His outfit of pink shirt and white jeans might make him an object of ridicule in some crowds :(

I'm wondering if there was more CCTV that hasn't been released which would tie in with him walking home? Or he told/texted a mate that he was doing so.

I would guess kidnapping to be unlikely, as if it was done for reasons relating to his job, there would have been some claim of responsibility or demands made by now.

It's not an unusual thing to do, I think they may have said in the press conference it's something he'd done before, and I know people who've done similar.

From his mum:

CCTV indicated Mr Mckeague, who was out with RAF colleagues, stopped for a nap in a doorway before getting up and moving on.

"Once he goes out he is a creature of habit - he will leave absolutely on his own," said Mrs Urquhart.

"He will go and get food and if he has to lay down and have a sleep before he goes home he will. Nothing in his behaviour was remotely unusual," she said.

"What is absolutely out of character is that he would not contact one of us."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-37541137

Does anyone know if any search dogs have been brought in yet?
I always wonder why they don't get dogs in at the earliest instance when a scent trail will be fresher ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member