UK UK - Corrie McKeague, 23, Bury St Edmunds, 24 September 2016 #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.dail...eld-Corrie-McKeague-hunt-faces-no-action.html

This article makes it sound as though the first bin for which they were given the 11kg, and which showed that approximate weight for the previous few months, was then found to be heavy enough to have contained C. It doesn't read to me that it was a different bin that was heavier.

That's what I understood - that it was a misreading of the computer data that records the weight. Apparently the customer is charged by collection and not by weight, so from a commercial point of view the weight was not important.

But who knows. Apparently it was not the regular driver on the round, so did he pick up the wrong bin? There's just not enough solid reliable information.

Here I disagree. I've seen a lot of people argue that he took great pride in his appearance, was immaculately dressed, etc. Now that may be so at the start of the evening, but he certainly looks a disheveled crumpled mess by the end. He's already eaten greasy food, sat and lain down on a filthy shop doorway, and he was clearly drunk enough not to care by then. Just look at the way he staggered through the group of people outside The Grapes, forcing them to step back to avoid him. His clothes would have been very creased and dirty by the time he woke up, so why worry? They'd wash.Some kinds of waste can take up a lot of space without weighing very much - cardboard and polystyrene packaging for instance.

Trouble is he doesn't look grubby or dirty on our last viewing of him. I can assure you if i sat in a shop doorway with white jeans on, they sure as hell wouldn't look white. They would be covered in dirt. I don't think he looked like a crumpled mess in fact i think quite the opposite, how well he looked after an hours kip in a doorway a bit shaky may be but by no means totally pissed

We'll have to agree to disagree then, as I think he looks messy and bedraggled, which is only to be expected.
The CCTV is too distant to show close details, and I have no doubt that there would be dirty marks on his clothes if we were able to see up close.

I can assure you if i sat in a shop doorway with white jeans on, they sure as hell wouldn't look white. They would be covered in dirt.

Exactly. And his would be the same, there's nothing special about him.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dail...eld-Corrie-McKeague-hunt-faces-no-action.html

This article makes it sound as though the first bin for which they were given the 11kg, and which showed that approximate weight for the previous few months, was then found to be heavy enough to have contained C. It doesn't read to me that it was a different bin that was heavier.

I have read it again and again, and I cannot find the part where they say that 11 kgs was the weight from the previous months.

It is said that
... a bin lorry which collected rubbish from where the 23-year-old was last seen picked up an extra 184 pounds in weight than previously thought - almost the same as that of 14-stone Corrie.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eague-hunt-faces-no-action.html#ixzz4fl8aUgWl

BBM

IMHO this is more than what they were thinking, but not necessarily more than the previous times. Would make a huge difference if this was clear!

Also says:
But analysis of system inside the lorry which calculates the weight of its load shows it was carrying something that significantly raised the weight.

I would like to know how they measure that! If someone gets into the cabin of the lorry, is that calculated too?

We used to pay per weight for garbage for a while, and when I got the bill I could spot immediately if something was off. That did happen. I used to wheel the bin to the road in the evening, bin wasn't always full but smelly so I wanted to get rid of it... and at one time, the bin's weight was recorded as being over 100 kgs. Come to think of it, it has been years, but it never crossed my mind that there may have been someone in it. I sincerely hope that that wasn't the case. No one was reported missing at the time.

The odd thing is - we no longer pay per weight, but the weight is still recorded automatically.

I have read it again and again, and I cannot find the part where they say that 11 kgs was the weight from the previous months.

It is said that

BBM

IMHO this is more than what they were thinking, but not necessarily more than the previous times. Would make a huge difference if this was clear!

Also says:

I would like to know how they measure that! If someone gets into the cabin of the lorry, is that calculated too?

We used to pay per weight for garbage for a while, and when I got the bill I could spot immediately if something was off. That did happen. I used to wheel the bin to the road in the evening, bin wasn't always full but smelly so I wanted to get rid of it... and at one time, the bin's weight was recorded as being over 100 kgs. Come to think of it, it has been years, but it never crossed my mind that there may have been someone in it. I sincerely hope that that wasn't the case. No one was reported missing at the time.

The odd thing is - we no longer pay per weight, but the weight is still recorded automatically.

I don't have the links but for many months Biffa told the police that 11kg was always the approx weight of that pick up, there's no doubt about that.

The key question for me is whether they were wrong about the weight on just 24/09 in which case it's a pretty valid assumption that C was in the bin or they were wrong every time and the weight varied and therefore a very heavy bin wasn't a one off.

Unless the police are totally bumblers though it has to be reasonable to assume that once they found out that the 24/09 weight was wrong and someone knew how to interpret the weight data correctly they then went back and applied the same method to previous weeks before spending getting on for £1million on the LF search.

We do know that this particular collection was billed by pick up not weight but it seems the lorry records it automatically although I haven't seen a definitive explanation of how the weight is captured

JMO

I am wondering what the waste from Greggs would consist of, and how they would be sure of what was in the bin anyway.
Is it very distinctive, and would much of it still be identifiable after so many months?
Well exactly. If it was food waste mainly, that would have all decomposed or been eaten by the scavengers so only the non compostible stuff would remain like cups and cardboard. Nothing much would have dates on it imo so how do they know they haven't already gone past it anyway? I think N said some Greggs cups had been found. They're not date stamped are they, unless they find Greggs sandwich packaging still with a Best before date on it that's readable after all this time? Needle in haystack comes to mind.

We do know that this particular collection was billed by pick up not weight but it seems the lorry records it automatically although I haven't seen a definitive explanation of how the weight is captured.

Only the bin and its contents are weighed.
The bin is automatically weighed as it is lifted up to the lorry before the contents are tipped in.
Then it is weighed again as it is lowered empty so that the weight of the bin itself can be subtracted.

I can't give a link, but I have seen a youtube video where this was demonstrated so I am satisfied that it's correct.

The bin is automatically weighed as it is lifted up to the lorry before the contents are tipped in.
Then it is weighed again as it is lowered empty so that the weight of the bin itself can be subtracted.

I can't give a link, but I have seen a youtube video where this was demonstrated so I am satisfied that it's correct.
Yes I think that is correct. Your post made me think about the lorry at the LF. We have now been told it went straight to LF (due to no staff at the sorting station) so that means the LF will have a record of that lorry coming in and getting weighed then going out and getting weighed empty. This has to be recorded by law due to the site's waste licence and also to bill Biffa of course. That paperwork will show total tonnage left at landfill and should have been checked against all the individually weighed bin collections. Was that ever done? If not then LE should go and look at those records again. If it was done then LE should recheck. If there is no paperwork, then it didn't go to that LF but went elsewhere (fly-tipped?).

Well exactly. If it was food waste mainly, that would have all decomposed or been eaten by the scavengers so only the non compostible stuff would remain like cups and cardboard. Nothing much would have dates on it imo so how do they know they haven't already gone past it anyway? I think N said some Greggs cups had been found. They're not date stamped are they, unless they find Greggs sandwich packaging still with a Best before date on it that's readable after all this time? Needle in haystack comes to mind.

You say needle in a haystack but amazingly they have found paper items with dates that are still legible. This stuck in my mind because there had been some discussion about the decomp of a body, if letters are still intact wouldn't a body or clothing still be?

I hadn't heard about the greggs cups but I have heard N say they haven't found a concentration of greggs stuff, if they were takeaway cups by their nature they would have been thrown away in bins not near the shop (unless she meant unused cups thrown away for some reason)

I don't have the links but for many months Biffa told the police that 11kg was always the approx weight of that pick up, there's no doubt about that.

The key question for me is whether they were wrong about the weight on just 24/09 in which case it's a pretty valid assumption that C was in the bin or they were wrong every time and the weight varied and therefore a very heavy bin wasn't a one off.

Unless the police are totally bumblers though it has to be reasonable to assume that once they found out that the 24/09 weight was wrong and someone knew how to interpret the weight data correctly they then went back and applied the same method to previous weeks before spending getting on for £1million on the LF search.

We do know that this particular collection was billed by pick up not weight but it seems the lorry records it automatically although I haven't seen a definitive explanation of how the weight is captured

JMO

The Police surely know what they are doing! Dear me, I'd hate to think about the alternative ....:facepalm:
The confusion arises from the reporting. Would be nice if a reporter took up the challenge and clarified the issues surrounding the wheelie bin that only weighed 11 kilos. I wonder what was in that bin. Somehow I cannot picture anyone going for a nap into a bin with rotting food or worse, but if it had been a matress, that would be a different story. Well, it would be for me, but I never get that drunk, instead I fall asleep after the first glass of wine.

I hope that the searchers enjoy their long weekend, and may they find Corrie this week. That would probably mean that there was no third party involvement, that it 'only' was a horrible freak accident, <modsnip>

That makes perfect sense, did the video explain how the weight is recorded transmitted back to Biifa (other bins companies are available) ?

That makes perfect sense, did the video explain how the weight is recorded transmitted back to Biifa (other bins companies are available) ?

No, it was an unofficial video made by someone who is obviously interested in such stuff! The binmen were showing him how it all works. I don't think it went into detail about how the data is transmitted, other than it was computerised.

ETA There are looooads of bin lorry videos on Youtube, it must be a more popular interest than one might imagine :)

The Police surely know what they are doing! Dear me, I'd hate to think about the alternative ....:facepalm:
The confusion arises from the reporting. Would be nice if a reporter took up the challenge and clarified the issues surrounding the wheelie bin that only weighed 11 kilos. I wonder what was in that bin. Somehow I cannot picture anyone going for a nap into a bin with rotting food or worse, but if it had been a matress, that would be a different story. Well, it would be for me, but I never get that drunk, instead I fall asleep after the first glass of wine.

I hope that the searchers enjoy their long weekend, and may they find Corrie this week. That would probably mean that there was no third party involvement, that it 'only' was a horrible freak accident, <modsnip>

I don't know how many of the previous threads you've read, there are mutiple links to instances of people who are drunk or homeless sleeping in large bins.

Some were lucky enough to be found before being crushed but many more weren't. This is something that happens even if most of us can't understand it. It's why bin operators are meant to check the bins visually before tipping them.

No, it was an unofficial video made by someone who is obviously interested in such stuff! The binmen were showing him how it all works. I don't think it went into detail about how the data is transmitted, other than it was computerised.

Obviously not important to the search now but as my job involves using data I'm interested in how it would be presented to the user and what exactly that person can see and how they misread the information

Obviously not important to the search now but as my job involves using data I'm interested in how it would be presented to the user and what exactly that person can see and how they misread the information

There might be more information on the website of one of the big waste disposal companies, Biffa, Veolia or others. If you emailed their PR departments they would probably be happy to explain in more detail.

There might be more information on the website of one of the big waste disposal companies, Biffa, Veolia or others. If you emailed their PR departments they would probably be happy to explain in more detail.

Oh no, I wouldn't want them to think I's some mad Miss Marple :lol: :lol:

Oh no, I wouldn't want them to think I's some mad Miss Marple :lol: :lol:

They wouldn't, if you made it clear that your interest was professional. I doubt they would even make a link with a misper case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ATLSooner