GUILTY UK - Elizabeth, 49, & Katie Edwards, 13, slain, Spalding, Lincs, 15 April 2016

I'm just wondering why these latest 2 cases involving teen murderers (3 cases if you also include the kidnapping) have allowed the perps to remain anonymous.Or should I say, why Venables and Thompson were named despite being even younger at just 10 years old?

What's changed? Maybe it's just that lessons were learned in that case; it's been difficult keeping their new identities secret since their names and faces were all over the press. Must have cost the country £millions over the years.

EDIT just Wiki'd the James Bulger case and it was 23 years ago! I must have had some kind of weird time lapse.... I guess a lot has changed in the world since then.

I think it's because of the Jamie Bulger case that the identities of young offenders are kept private nowadays - Venables and Thompson were hounded by the press for years, and still come up in the media if publishers are having a slow news day. The whole 'name and shame' thing smacks of irrational mob mentality, and family members are likely to catch a lot of flack for being even remotely linked to a murderer. Especially with children who commit violent crimes, protecting their identities may offer them a chance at redemption that Venables and Thompson and the like never had.

Would the press even be able to report on the trial as the defendants are underage?

Normally they can, but just say the accused 'cannot be identified for legal reasons'; but if the identity is tied to the motive, presumably a lot would have to be excluded from coverage.

Sometimes reporting restrictions are lifted retrospectively, following a conviction, but not always.

As I said before the students could've been student of Liz because she was a primary school teacher if you check in the yearbooks or past school events you might find the identities of the accused

Has anyone been able to find more information on Katie's father Peter Edwards or Liz's partner Graham Green? Another person named Helena Coalho says she was a friend of Liz.

Don't know if this is fair game to discuss, but I haven't found any social media presence for LM. Anyone else?

Don't know if this is fair game to discuss, but I haven't found any social media presence for LM. Anyone else?

I did see a Facebook that didn't seem particularly interesting, but I didn't go through it all too carefully

Has anyone been able to find more information on Katie's father Peter Edwards or Liz's partner Graham Green? Another person named Helena Coalho says she was a friend of Liz.

Both PE and GG are on FB with fairly open profiles and being pretty vocal about their heartbreak.

He was on FB and friends with all the family but I can't find him now. Deleted I think.

The runaway articles are still there.

I have Loved this site for a while and followed a few recent cases but never joined or posted

As a newbie any errors I make I apologise in advance as with information etc but if the forum guides me I'll find my way ��

This case is very interesting the alleged suspects run away late last year but how does it escalate to murder also it seems pre meditated murder

The problem is kids are not kids anymore join in adult conversations the net is great but also a danger with kids being privi to too much adult themes material

<modsnip>
Also I noticed on a youtube page he tagged a link below a few years ago
though to some a fun video it now looks disturbing after what has happened I believe you need an edge in the mind to take a different view of games etc

https://m.youtube.com/user/WhiteBoy7thst

Hi Thebutlerdiditagain and welcome out of lurkdom!

Unfortunately, and daft as it seems because it appears to be fairly common knowledge, we can't name or identify either suspect because of the media blackout and contempt of court laws. If they are named by the police it's all systems go but we can't discuss them yet. Well we can, but only generally and carefully without causing them to be ID'd here... as a rule we can openly discuss anything from official sources or mainstream media.

If you can, go back into your post to edit it and delete the FB/YT links. Don't want you getting in bother on your first post!!

Oh and also, can't tell where you're based but the list of UK cases is in the link below :)

Thank you and sorry
how do I edit my post
thank you in advance for any help
i will remove as soon as I know

Thank you and sorry
how do I edit my post
thank you in advance for any help
i will remove as soon as I know

If you're within a certain amount of time you have an 'edit' option on your post. Once you click edit, you can select "delete".
If it's too late and the edit option isn't there any more you can alert a mod by clicking the red exclamation point in the lower left side of the post.
Cheers!

Both PE and GG are on FB with fairly open profiles and being pretty vocal about their heartbreak.

He was on FB and friends with all the family but I can't find him now. Deleted I think.

The runaway articles are still there.

I have archived copies of both LM and KE Facebook pages.

I knew they would disappear.

I have archived copies of both LM and KE Facebook pages.

I knew they would disappear.

Hi, I've never followed a British case before but this one caught my eye. The constraints on posting are formidable! This is a bit off-topic but I am curious: I can see those FB pages, do you suppose that's because I'm in the U.S.? I can't imagine how that could work technically--but I'm not all that internet savvy.

Has anyone got updates on this case? Any trial date set yet? Or has it ever been confirmed who we think the perpetrators were?

A girl and boy accused of murdering a school dinner lady and her daughter appeared in court on Friday .

The 15-year old girl and 14-year-old boy allegedly killed Liz Edwards, 49, and daughter Katie, 13, at their home.

The pair entered no pleas to the charges and spoke only to confirm their names and that they understood the proceedings.

The case was adjourned until 5 September when the two teenagers will appear at Nottingham Crown Court for a plea and case management hearing.

If the case goes to trial it will be heard at the same court in October and is expected to last two weeks.

Both teenagers were remanded in to secure youth accommodation until their next court appearance.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/spalding-double-murder-teenage-girl-8429854

There was supposed to be a hearing today as per Alyce's post - has anyone seen anything about it?

In the meantime I've just found this from April about Liz's dog being up for rehoming: http://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/news...when-police-arrived-at-murder-scene-1-7341184

Gyll said: &#8220;She looked absolutely worn-out and completely bewildered. &#8220;I wouldn&#8217;t say she was traumatised, but she looked very nervous. &#8220;Apparently she was cowering in her crate when the police went in.&#8221;

Bebe is still very nervous around fluorescent jackets

Hopefully she found a new home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin