UK - Elsie Frost, 14, murdered, Wakefield, West Yorks, 9 Oct 1965 *Arrest*

Just had a quick read of this online and came to see if there was a thread.
Why on earth would they need to keep the file closed for another 45 years??!

I've added it to the UK cases thread
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-to-cases-on-Websleuths-*No-Discussion*/page4

The National Archives catalogue says it's closed based on the folowing exemptions from FoI:
Exemption 1: Law enforcement
Exemption 2: Health and Safety
Exemption 3: Personal information where the applicant is a 3rd party

I'm not surprised it's closed per se, but the 92 years is an odd length - I would expect 100 for material gathered under confidence, ie witness statements, but it's actually less than that. My best guess is that it's based on 100 years since the birth of the youngest witness.

Murder investigation of teenage girl, 14, who was killed walking home in Wakefield is reopened after 50 years after police ID new suspect
Elsie Frost was 14-years-old when she was murdered on October 9, 1965
She was stabbed in the back and head in Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Police re-open investigation and want to find man in white coat on bike
Elsie may also have been meeting someone in secret, perhaps a boyfriend

Cold case detectives from West Yorkshire have reviewed the case in the past to see if there was any fresh evidence, but have never mounted a full scale re-investigation until now.
The team is making use of the extra capacity provided by the investigators - many of whom are retired detectives - to fully re-examine documents from the time for possible new leads and interview interested parties.
DCI Belton said: 'The re-investigation has been progressing well and we have uncovered new lines of enquiry. We now believe at least one person, who was never interviewed at the time, was seen near the location where Elise was murdered on the canal towpath on that afternoon on October 9.
'He was described as white 25 – 30 years old riding a black bike with a basket on the front and wearing a white lab type coat possibly of the style then worn by someone who could have been a delivery boy, butcher or abattoir worker. Clearly we are keen to identify that individual.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-police-uncover-new-leads.html#ixzz3nPTK3gyr
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I must be having a mental block as I can't work out if this means the files have been unsealed or if there were only parts of the information sealed.
I cannot find if they now have the killers DNA either.

Answering the title of this thread, I don't believe the ripper is responsible for this murder. There would be no reason to have sealed it if he had done it.
I'm not convinced she wouldn't have been sexually assaulted either. I hope they've still got the DNA from her examination at the time and re-examine that again.

Answering the title of this thread, I don't believe the ripper is responsible for this murder. There would be no reason to have sealed it if he had done it.
I'm not convinced she wouldn't have been sexually assaulted either. I hope they've still got the DNA from her examination at the time and re-examine that again.
Going by the news report on ITV tonight they don't have any existing pieces of evidence let alone DNA. There must be a pretty good reason for them to reopen this case though. Any ideas?

Going by the news report on ITV tonight they don't have any existing pieces of evidence let alone DNA. There must be a pretty good reason for them to reopen this case though. Any ideas?

No idea at all. How awful that they've not got any physical pieces of evidence to work with.
Just watched the late evening news. No forensic evidence, no DNA.

Different times back then. Maybe someone will have a crisis of conscience and come forward.

I noted the 50th anniversary (October 9) of this case on my whole/half centenary threads here, on Jack the Ripper Forums and Casebook: JtR.

78 year old man arrested in Berkshire, named locally as Peter Pickering

www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news...of-wakefield-schoolgirl-elsie-frost-1-8149152

Is this child sex killer the same bloke?!! Sounds like it, this is from 2010/2012 as he was being prepared for release. He had served his sentence in Broadmoor (Berkshire) and more recently been in a facility run by The Priory.

A child sex killer jailed indefinitely for his vile crimes has been secretly moved to a low security hospital ready for his release. Evil Peter Pickering, 73, could be freed within six months after he was transferred from a top security hospital to a softer unit run by The Priory group. Pickering, dubbed the Beast of Wombwell, snatched 14-year-old Shirley Ann Boldy on her way home from school in 1972. He bound, raped and hacked her to death with a kitchen knife in a seven-hour orgy of violence in the South Yorkshire town. The frenzied attack came just five months after Pickering was released from a nineyear jail sentence for sexual assaults on two girls.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/child-sex-killer-peter-pickering-269025

Was just about to post this - thanks. This case fascinates me, after listening to a podcast about it (BBC one, i think). They need to solve it now, otherwise the murderer will get away with it.

I was reading some background on PP last night.

This bit was interesting.

Pickering, dubbed the Beast of Wombwell, snatched 14-year-old Shirley Ann Boldy on her way home from school in 1972.

He bound, raped and hacked her to death with a kitchen knife in a seven-hour orgy of violence in the South Yorkshire town.

The frenzied attack came just five months after Pickering was released from a nine year jail sentence for sexual assaults on two girls.

So , presumably, PP did not serve all of his 9 year sentence, otherwise he could not be in the frame for Elsie back in 1965.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/child-sex-killer-peter-pickering-269025

Isn't Pickering in a secure hospital, though?

Is he still? I know he was in Broadmoor and then a rehab unit, but the article I posted up thread (from a few years ago) seemed to suggest he might be ready for release. I'm hoping he was nicked the minute he got free, but if he's been bailed back into society that's concerning.

All my cases here are really peeing me off tonight!

Grumpy, from Yorkshire.

I thought I read that he was in Thornford Park, which is just outside Newbury, but I may be wrong.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back