UK - Elsie Frost, 14, murdered, Wakefield, West Yorks, 9 Oct 1965 *Arrest*

Whoever titled this thread originally, wow, that looks like a colossal misnomer now, what were they think...OH WAIT, I WAS THE ONE WHO DID IT, oh noooooes....

Anyway, should we change the title here, or is there still a chance Peter Sutcliffe might have done it?

Nominations open for new thread title as my first one may be past sell-date.

Whoever titled this thread originally, wow, that looks like a colossal misnomer now, what were they think...OH WAIT, I WAS THE ONE WHO DID IT, oh noooooes....

Anyway, should we change the title here, or is there still a chance Peter Sutcliffe might have done it?

Nominations open for new thread title as my first one may be past sell-date.

Yep, I think it needs changing, just the standard name/age.place/date format.

The ripper case fascinates me. When I moved to Leeds for uni my halls were next to a tree under which his last victim was found, I now live about a mile from where another body was found, and I've met the man whose mother was the first victim - he's now a motivational speaker and a very nice fella despite an awful early life.

I doubt Sutcliffe did it, he was active 1975-1980 (that we know of), here's the Wiki on him if anyone wants to read up. I can't actually believe he's still alive.

Yep, I think it needs changing, just the standard name/age.place/date format
Something, title-wise, like....

UK - Elsie Frost, 14, Wakefield, West Yorkshire; 09 October 1965 *ARREST*

Were this to be the case, the thread would need to be moved; it's in Serial Killers now.

Anyone else? Title-change? Needs switching or stays put?

Were this to be the case, the thread would need to be moved; it's in Serial Killers now.

Prob needs to not be in serial killers, yet....

I thought I read that he was in Thornford Park, which is just outside Newbury, but I may be wrong.

Think you're right on that one. I suppose the police use the same terminology, even if he is just being returned to Thornford Park, he is still being bailed from their custody.

Yep, here it is - from The Mail, Sept 27

Pensioner Peter Pickering was detained at the Thornford Park Hospital in Newbury, Berkshire, and will now be questioned by officers from West Yorkshire.

He is understood to have been a resident of the mental health unit for many years.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-Elsie-Frost-50-years-ago.html#ixzz4LdWqzgfS
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Well, now that he's been bailed, it might be better to have the thread title changed with Elsie's name.

Having said that, if the police have bailed him while they do some more checking, then he might be re arrested within a week or two ?

My vote is change the thread title, but I dont mind either way.

The ripper case fascinates me. When I moved to Leeds for uni my halls were next to a tree under which his last victim was found

That would be Lupton Flats, now Lupton Residences.

As it happens, I knew Jackie Hill. Not very well, but we were at 6th Form together.

That would be Lupton Flats, now Lupton Residences.

As it happens, I knew Jackie Hill. Not very well, but we were at 6th Form together.

Yes that's the one!! Funnily enough I drove past it today as we were test driving a new car and went for lunch over in Headingley. Jackie was a student there too wasn't she?

Peter Pickering re-arrested:

The 79-year-old was held on Monday on suspicion of murdering 14-year-old Elsie Frost in October 1965. The man is also being questioned in relation to an unconnected allegation of a rape and kidnap in 1972. Mr Pickering was originally arrested in September before being bailed. Police said he had been re-arrested after fresh evidence was uncovered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-39182122

Should probably have his own thread, but as it's been discussed here before:

A convicted child sex killer has gone on trial accused of violently raping an 18-year-old woman almost 46 years ago. Peter Pickering, 80, is accused of handcuffing his victim before subjecting her to a violent sex assault in the back of his van after she accepted a lift to work. A jury at Leeds Crown Court heard Pickering then lit a cigarette which he used to inflict burn injuries to her arms and breasts. Michelle Colbourne, QC, said the attack happened in Sheffield in June 1972, around three to four weeks before he raped and killed 14-year-old Shirley Boldy.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co...violently-raping-woman-46-years-ago-1-9059817

I'm a little confused, PP is a sexual sadist. However, Elsie was not sexually assaulted. How would he fit?

All moo

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

I'm a little confused, PP is a sexual sadist. However, Elsie was not sexually assaulted. How would he fit?

All moo

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

I don't know, I need to sit down and read up on it properly as I only know about Elsie. There is another girl, Anne Dunwell, who may also have been killed by Pickering, as well as the one or two attacked by him.

I think perhaps he needs his own thread. What do you reckon?

PP has died.

Det Sup Nick Wallen said: "We can now formally confirm that Peter Pickering was the man we arrested and interviewed over the last two years as part of the renewed investigation into the murder of 14-year-old schoolgirl Elsie Frost in Wakefield in 1965.

"We strongly suspected that Peter Pickering was responsible for her murder. We had been liaising with the Crown Prosecution Service and it was our expectation that Pickering would be charged in due course.

"His unexpected death clearly means that will no longer happen."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-43533991

Maybe because the attack on Elsie was carried out in the open and there was a risk that someone would come along and interrupt the attack. The 18 year old was attacked in Pickering's van which would have allowed him more privacy.

Fresh inquest granted in 54-year-old murder case of Wakefield schoolgirl, Elsie Frost

A new inquest will take place into the murder of Wakefield schoolgirl, Elsie Frost.

The 14-year-old was stabbed to death in the 1960s but the main suspect in her killing died last year before he could be brought to court.

The High Court in London granted a new inquest this morning after the original hearing in 1966 named the wrong killer.

Her family say with a new inquest, fresh evidence can be brought to the table and they may finally get closure for her killing.

17 AUG 2019
Fresh inquest launched into Elsie Frost murder
frostcollage.jpg
Police are re-investigating the 1965 murder of Elsie Frost

abc_steps_0.jpg

Where Elsie Frost's body was found in 1965
"Mr Frost said: "Given all the information that West Yorkshire Police have given us - and I'm aware that we've not been given everything and we don't know what we don't know - there's a very compelling set of information, a batch of information, that shows that Pickering did murder Elsie.

"Anne and I are convinced that it was him.

"What we wanted pretty much from the start was for West Yorkshire Police to have their day in the inquest, and to explain what they've learnt and what they've found out, and to make it known to everyone."

He told reporters that he hopes the fresh inquest will help to again exonerate Mr Spencer, whose son Ian Lee Spencer was in court during the opening."

The new inquest into Elsie’s death is being held after her siblings, Anne Cleave and Colin Frost, campaigned successfully for a fresh review. It comes after West Yorkshire police revealed that Pickering was close to being charged with Elsie’s murder at the time of his death in March last year.

Cleave spoke of her anger that the case had been left “in limbo” following the exoneration of Ian Spencer in March 1966 – leaving Pickering free to go on to murder 14-year-old Shirley Boldy and kidnap and rape an 18-year-old woman in Wombwell in 1972.

She told the inquest: “I’ve been very angry that nothing happened after Mr Spencer was released. That makes me very angry, nothing happened until Colin and I got things going again after Dad died.”

She added: “After March 1966, after Mr Spencer was released and exonerated, that’s when things stopped.”

The inquest heard that police in Wakefield were sent a file on Pickering from the Metropolitan police on 13 October 1965 – four days after Elsie was stabbed to death as she walked back from a sailing club event.
Elsie Frost murder: inquest told likely killer went on to rape and murder other girls

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back