UK UK - Gareth Williams, 31, Pimlico, London, 16 Aug 2010

Good!

His whole apartment was wiped clean of any DNA, bar a tiny bit of unidentified on the bag.
Heating on full blast in August.
Phone wiped to factory setting.
And getting in the bag and locking it himself from the outside.

It was all a professional job and a professional cover-up.

By a double-agent, or a triple-agent? Russian or British?

Or was he a double-agent or a triple-agent?

MI6 is a dangerous old game....

MOO.

Last edited:
Good!

His whole apartment was wiped clean of any DNA, bar a tiny bit of unidentified on the bag.
Heating on full blast in August.
Phone wiped to factory setting.
And getting in the bag and locking it himself from the outside.

It was all a professional job and a professional cover-up.

By a double-agent, or a triple-agent? Russian or British?

Or was he a double-agent or a triple-agent?

MI6 is a dangerous old game....

MOO.
Just finished reading this fascinating book suggested by a Ws poster, in which GW's peculiar death (and others) is referenced..
https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/from-russia-with-blood-the/9780316417235-item.html

Ah, you guys are too good! I've just come across the same news story on twitter.

I'm so pleased to see this is being reviewed. I've always been fascinated with this teeniest of locked room mysteries and feel previous investigations have all too easily allowed themselves to be misdirected by its ostentatiously sexual dimension.

My personal opinion is that he was first warned, then killed after refusing to be recruited, because he was by that point in a position to blow a hole in whatever security breach was being attempted.

JMO

Detectives reviewing the death of 'spy in the bag' Gareth Williams are examining new forensic leads, it emerged yesterday.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed it had launched a 'forensic review' of the MI6 analyst's mysterious death.

Advances in DNA and forensic techniques now mean a strand of hair found on Mr Williams's hand – from which experts could not extract a DNA profile – may shed new light on the case.

Experts previously needed the root of a hair to determine a DNA profile, but leading forensic scientist Professor Angela Gallop said recently that this was no longer the case, and investigators only need as little as 2mm of hair.

Traces of the DNA of two unidentified people found on the handle and padlock of the bag, plus the DNA of another unknown person on a green towel in Mr Williams's flat, could also be re-examined.

Professor Gallop and retired Detective Chief Superintendent Hamish Campbell, who oversaw the original case, have both previously called for a forensic review.

At his inquest, lawyers for his family suggested evidence of foul play included the lack of fingerprints on the bath and the fact that even though it was the height of summer the heating had been turned up in his flat, which caused his body to decompose quickly.

They also queried why no one from MI6 had reported the mobile phone analyst missing, even though Mr Williams had failed to turn up for work for five days, and questioned why an MI6 officer subsequently sent to check on Mr Williams had not forced entry to his flat when no one answered the door.

MI6 analyst Gareth Williams's 'spy in bag' death to be further examined thanks to new forensic lead | Daily Mail Online

Dead Scientists

#4 Sexual misadventure as method of murder

Several of the deaths were put down to sex games gone wrong. But intelligence expert Conrad Black says death by sexual misadventure is a common method of disguising murder in the world of espionage.

Black told the Daily Record — “Disposing of an enemy and making it look like a perverted fantasy gone wrong is in the training manuals of every spy agency from MI6 to Mossad.

The sex game cover is a very useful mechanism in a murder. Not only does it provide a disguise for the actual means and method of death, it trashes the reputation of the victim and blunts the energy of any subsequent investigation.”

Dead Scientists

#4 Sexual misadventure as method of murder

Several of the deaths were put down to sex games gone wrong. But intelligence expert Conrad Black says death by sexual misadventure is a common method of disguising murder in the world of espionage.

Black told the Daily Record — “Disposing of an enemy and making it look like a perverted fantasy gone wrong is in the training manuals of every spy agency from MI6 to Mossad.

The sex game cover is a very useful mechanism in a murder. Not only does it provide a disguise for the actual means and method of death, it trashes the reputation of the victim and blunts the energy of any subsequent investigation.”

And it encourages observers to avert their gaze.

Heads up... next Wednesday, October 5, there's a 90-minute doc on Channel 5 at 9pm on the case: The Body In The Bag.
Looking forward to seeing it, hopefully it is accessible in NA..
''In August 2010, Gareth Williams, a GCHQ employee on a 3-year secondment to MI6, was found dead inside a padlocked duffel bag in the bath of his London flat.

A post-mortem examination carried out by a Home Office pathologist was unable to determine the cause of death, but two years later, a coroner ruled that it was likely Williams had been unlawfully killed – but with no sign of struggle in his flat, and a lack of forensic evidence, the Met Police believe Gareth acted alone.

This case has become one of the biggest unsolved mysteries in recent British history, and even now, twelve years after Williams’ death, the public are still waiting for answers as to what happened to the 31-year-old codebreaker who had been branded a genius since childhood.''

@dotr I fear maybe not. It's our Channel 5 and I know when the last MH370 doc was on and people were trying to get via their web, it didn't happen. Maybe YouTube will help out :)

I don't pretend to know what happened here but I'm convinced that his employers didn't just forget to check on him when he didn't turn up for work.

I have a friend who's employed in a much much more junior role than gw...theyre not the worrying type but they were frantic when they were going through a divorce...couldnt. afford to get upset or take tablets because they'd be checked on etc etc.

don't forget gw had asked for a transfer back to cheltenham, so they knew all was not hunky dory...theyd have been. keeping a real eye on him

whatever happened, his employers. were at the very least negligent of not checking on his welfare...for that reason, I can't see us getting a definite answer...of course, it may be that they killed him for some reason, although. I'm not. suggesting at all that this was the case...but I doubt were going to. get an answer

IT’S the real-life espionage mystery that spawned a string of theories from a sex game gone wrong to a Russian assassination – just how did ‘spy in the bag’ Gareth Williams meet his untimely end?

Now a new book by an investigator who’s an expert in unusual deaths claims to have the answer.

In an exclusive extract on The Mail+ today, Peter Faulding says he is convinced that the agent was murdered.

His book, What Lies Beneath: My Life as a Forensic Search and Rescue Expert, delves into the case that became a worldwide sensation in 2010. In an attempt to get to the bottom of the mystery, he tried more than 300 times to lock himself inside a holdall in the way Mr Williams would have to have done – and failed on every occasion. ‘Not even Houdini would have been able to pull it off,’ he writes.

[...]

But Mr Faulding writes: ‘To be honest, it seemed implausible to me. I know people are into auto-asphyxiation and bondage, but the technicalities of what was being suggested seemed impossible.

‘I presented my thoughts to the investigation team. In my opinion Gareth was already dead when he was put in the bag.’

He adds: ‘It looked to me like someone was trying to smear him.’

[...]

Mr Faulding is convinced that Mr Williams was viciously smeared as a sexual deviant – and that the truth about his death is very different. Now read why in an exclusive extract from his book, only on The Mail+.

What Lies Beneath: My Life As A Forensic Search And Rescue Expert by Peter Faulding will be published by Macmillan on February 2, £18.99.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back