UK - James Bulger, 2, abducted & murdered, Merseyside, 12 Feb 1993

The mother of murdered toddler James Bulger has revealed she believes his killer Jon Venables will attack another child if released from prison.

Denise Fergus, 55, will appear on James Bulger: The Trial, which airs on Channel 5 tomorrow.

The documentary tells the story of the trial of Jon Venables and Robert Thompson, including speaking to both killer's defence attorneys as well a jurors, the judge and journalists and court staff who attended the 1993 trial.

It will also chillingly recreate scenes from the trial, with child actors playing Venables and Thompson and Henry Globe, the prosecution barrister in the trial, reading out the real transcripts from Preston Sessions Court.

Denise, who has spent the last 30 years campaigning for justice for her son, didn't attend the trial - but gave a statement to the court.

The documentary shows her reading the statement back for the first time since 1993.

Venables and his schoolfriend, Robert Thompson, were both 10 when they murdered two-year-old James Bulger after taking him from his mother’s side in a shopping centre in Merseyside in 1993.

Venables, now 41, has been in prison since 2017 after being convicted for a second time of possessing child abuse images.

A two-day parole hearing has been set for 14 November and will be heard in private, despite efforts to open up the Parole Board process.

Bulger’s parents, Denise Fergus and Ralph Bulger, have consistently argued for Venables to spend the rest of his life in prison.

A parole hearing for one of the killers of two-year-old James Bulger will take place behind closed doors over the next two days.

The oral hearing to decide whether Jon Venables can be released after his latest sentence for possessing child abuse images is due to take place on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Chair of the Parole Board for England and Wales Caroline Corby ruled that proceedings should take place in private, in order to respect a long-standing legal order that bans the public identification of Venables.

James’s relatives have also been barred from attending, although victim impact statements will be read as part of the hearing.

He has been released and re-offended a few times now, IIRC.
He should not have been given all the chances; there are others who have not had chances like his for committing lesser crimes.
As far as I know, Robert Thompson has not had any incidents with the police since his first release. Yet, Jon has ha many.
What is so special about this 'one' that he has been given chance after chance? It makes not the slightest sense...

28 NOVEMBER 2023

Justice chiefs have postponed a decision on whether Jon Venables should be released on parole.

The 41-year-old, who abducted, tortured and murdered James Bulger as a toddler, had his private hearing start on November 14 and end that same week.

A result was expected to be announced 10 to 14 days later but it will now be revealed by December 15, The Sun reports.

[..]

“It is really irregular to take so long and they are worried Venables could be sneaked out when it is quiet before Christmas and parliament is not sitting.

“Normally his release would spark questions in the Commons but that wouldn’t happen if he comes out just before Christmas.”

Venables was jailed alongside Robert Thompson in November 1993 at the age of 10 for the harrowing murder of two-year-old James.

Venables was released on licence in July 2001, and recalled to prison in February 2010 after indecent images of children were found on his computer.

He was again released in August 2013, and again called back in November 2017 for the same offence.

His most recent parole review before this was in September 2020.

[.]

A spokesperson for James’ mother Denise Fergus said that while this news is “frustrating”, she understands “the importance of adhering to procedural requirements”.

They went on to say Ms Fergus hopes the board will make a decision which “ensures the safety of the public and well-being of Denise and her loved ones- by not granting Jon Venables parole”.

He has been released and re-offended a few times now, IIRC.
He should not have been given all the chances; there are others who have not had chances like his for committing lesser crimes.
As far as I know, Robert Thompson has not had any incidents with the police since his first release. Yet, Jon has ha many.
What is so special about this 'one' that he has been given chance after chance? It makes not the slightest sense...

JV Parole History-- From what I've read, Jon Venables (JV) has only been released on parole twice before in 30 years, and has never committed another murder since he and Robert Thompson (RT) killed toddler James Patrick Bulger in 1993.

At age 18, JV was first released in 2001, but was recalled to prison nine years later when authorities found indecent images of children on his computer.

JV served three more years in prison before being released a second time in 2013.

However, after JV reoffended four years later in 2017 (indecent images), he was returned to prison in 2017 where he's been ever since.

Although JV had a parole hearing in Sept 2020, he was not granted release.

Clearly, being capable of helping torture and murder a toddler at only age 10, JV is not wired as a normal being. However, unlike RT, I've also long believed that JV has suffered and continues to struggle because he's felt remorse for killing young James from the very beginning. (Even with James blood on his shoes, RT wouldn't admit to his crime and blamed JV for the crime).

It's the law for juvenile offenders to be first assessed for release at age 18, and I'm actually quite surprised JV was able to function for 9 years (especially in his vulnerable 20's) without violating the law. IMO, I think JV likely had much family support during this period.

If my understanding of how indecent images are graded in UK is correct, being released in 2013 after only serving three years for the first indecent offense appears to me that the images possessed by JV were considered least severe.

We know that JV has been in prison since 2017 but due to privacy laws afforded him during the past 6 years, we don't know what treatment he's received, accepted, and/or how effective any rehabilitation has been for a man of his age and mental condition. In some ways, I think both JV and the public are safer if he remains in prison under consistent care and treatment.

IMO, RT was the leader and instigator to abduct the child, and also the defendant others identified as seen kicking and punching the toddler. RT might have assimilated and not had to return to prison but I think it's more likely he's just been lucky at not getting caught-- and not that he's some model citizen. MOO

1702015230517.png
Photo Credit - JV seen holding the hand of victim JPB, both walking behind RT

JV Parole History-- From what I've read, Jon Venables (JV) has only been released on parole twice before in 30 years, and has never committed another murder since he and Robert Thompson (RT) killed toddler James Patrick Bulger in 1993.

At age 18, JV was first released in 2001, but was recalled to prison nine years later when authorities found indecent images of children on his computer.

JV served three more years in prison before being released a second time in 2013.

However, after JV reoffended four years later in 2017 (indecent images), he was returned to prison in 2017 where he's been ever since.

Although JV had a parole hearing in Sept 2020, he was not granted release.

Clearly, being capable of helping torture and murder a toddler at only age 10, JV is not wired as a normal being. However, unlike RT, I've also long believed that JV has suffered and continues to struggle because he's felt remorse for killing young James from the very beginning. (Even with James blood on his shoes, RT wouldn't admit to his crime and blamed JV for the crime).

It's the law for juvenile offenders to be first assessed for release at age 18, and I'm actually quite surprised JV was able to function for 9 years (especially in his vulnerable 20's) without violating the law. IMO, I think JV likely had much family support during this period.

If my understanding of how indecent images are graded in UK is correct, being released in 2013 after only serving three years for the first indecent offense appears to me that the images possessed by JV were considered least severe.

We know that JV has been in prison since 2017 but due to privacy laws afforded him during the past 6 years, we don't know what treatment he's received, accepted, and/or how effective any rehabilitation has been for a man of his age and mental condition. In some ways, I think both JV and the public are safer if he remains in prison under consistent care and treatment.

IMO, RT was the leader and instigator to abduct the child, and also the defendant others identified as seen kicking and punching the toddler. RT might have assimilated and not had to return to prison but I think it's more likely he's just been lucky at not getting caught-- and not that he's some model citizen. MOO

View attachment 466496
Photo Credit - JV seen holding the hand of victim JPB, both walking behind RT
I do agree with you in some way. JV has problems that need to be addressed under constant supervision.
You said:
only been released on parole twice before in 30 years
He should not have been released the second time.
RT may have been the mastermind back then and possibly could still be now, and maybe he is clever and has not been caught.
It has been more than 20 years since they have both been released and the only one to have been in trouble with police again is JV.
I believe they were both going through toxic family dynamics in their lives at the time of James' abduction and murder, and I agree RT was being the boss this day, but not to the extent it ended. I think JV and RT had very different ways of dealing with their traumas.
The time they spent in detention was AFAIK was laden with therapy and they were separated and treated individually from the outset.
JV was released when he was not quite ready maybe, or maybe he has mental health problems to the extent he should be under supervision. RT was rehabilitated, or not, as you suggest, but it there hasn't been even a whisper that he has done anything wrong.
I am not saying you are wrong or mistaken at all. This is only my opinion.

"Jon Venables insists he is

'completely rehabilitated'

and no longer a danger to the public as he makes last-ditch attempt for freedom -

30 years after murdering toddler James Bulger."

"Jon Venables insists he is

and no longer a danger to the public as he makes last-ditch attempt for freedom -

30 years after murdering toddler James Bulger."

I don't believe he will be paroled and not sure of DM's source given the hearing was private and not even the Bulger's were allowed to attend, and JV didn't show for the hearing either! I hope they didn't postpone the decision to give JV another chance to talk to the board.

Chair of the Parole Board for England and Wales Caroline Corby ruled that proceedings should take place in private, in order to respect a long-standing legal order that bans the public identification of Venables.

James’s relatives have also been barred from attending, although victim impact statements will be read as part of the hearing.

"Jon Venables' bid for freedom

is rejected

by Parole Board just days after he said he was

following murder of toddler James Bulger."

Jon Venables, killer of James Bulger, has lost a parole board bid to be freed from jail, sparking relief for his victim's family

The panel has ruled that it was “not satisfied that release at this point would be safe for the protection of the public”.

[..]

“It noted the risks…. doubted Mr Venables’ ability to be open and honest with professionals, and concluded that there remained a need for him to address outstanding levels of risk, and to develop his relationship with his probation officer.

“By law, Mr Venables will be eligible for another parole review in due course.”

"Child killer Jon Venables

'lost the plot' and 'went mad shouting and screaming'

after losing parole bid -

as James Bulger's mother says murderer

'should never see the light of day AGAIN'."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics