UK UK - Luke Durbin, 19, Ipswich, 12 May 2006

It would be interesting to know how much the debt was for? Unless I missed it I didn't hear an amount mentioned.

This case was mentioned by a poster in relation to another missing young man..
Ws thread..
UK - UK - Damien Nettles, 16, Isle of Wight England, 2 Nov 1996
Channel 5 Missing or Murdered: The story behind Luke Durbin's disappearance
0_lukedurbin485x275.jpg

Nineteen-year-old Luke Durbin went missing in May 2006 (Image: Suffolk police)
''Luke is described as white, 5ft 10inches tall, of slim build, with short dark brown hair and blue eyes. At the time of his disappearance he was wearing a black/grey long sleeved collared shirt and a purple and grey White Stuff sweatshirt.

He was also wearing tatty looking faded denim jeans with some kind of motif on the side thigh area and grey chocolate brown suede moccasin style shoes.''

''The last confirmed sighting of Luke is on CCTV, close to the bus station around 4am on Friday, May 12.

There has also been a report of Luke being seen in Woodbridge in a dark blue Renault Megane car being driven by a black man. This was between 11am and 2pm on Saturday May 13 near to the entrance to the Turban Centre car park on Quay Side.''

I've only just got round to watching the documentary but it was quite enlightening.

I tend to think that the drugs/debt connection is a bit of a red herring. The night out was so random and unplanned, how could he have been abducted?

I think sadly that the most likely scenario seems to me to be that he tried to walk home and has ended up in water :(

MAY 11, 2021
Luke Durbin's mum criticises police investigation into missing son's disappearance in Ipswich on eve of 15th anniversary (suffolknews.co.uk)
The mother of a Suffolk teenager who went missing 15 years ago has said police failed her son in the early stages of the investigation into his disappearance.

[...]

Nicki said there were 'multiple problems' with the initial investigation, including the fact that it took three separate visits from five policemen to fully search Luke's bedroom, the last visit to which saw them discover small bags of cannabis.

[...]

One of the most difficult times for Nicki during the first investigation was after two unconfirmed sightings of Luke in Woodbridge just weeks after his disappearance.

"A policeman came over and basically told me my son was coming home," she said.

"He told me that when Luke came home, he was going to sit him down and talk to him about wasting police resources and police time.

"I can remember waiting for my son to come home again and as far as I was concerned the investigation had stopped."

[...]

The major investigation team uncovered details of Luke's involvement with drugs and also recovered 26 new CCTV images that had not been found during the earlier investigation.

"That's 26 images that could have been used in the early years but they were missed," she said.

[...]

For me this case is kind of disturbing because they found a bone...possibly little of what remained of Luke. I could be wrong but for god sake when are the UK police forces going to use the very new DNA technics for identifying remains...The ignorance is very annoying to say the least IMO. Welcome to 2021. If it's about money...it usually is...there could be organized a fundraising.

@Bit of hope did I miss something?

How come he's on the dutch missing persons page?

It says in the BBC article the bone they found that they thought could have been related was found to be from a deer.

About the bone; it seems I missed something :(
There is another missing UK citizen on the Dutch missing person site; Malgorzata Wnuczek. Also people missing from Belgium and Germany.

I think it's some sort of a "to be sure thing" in case somebody traveled to the continent or to the Netherlands.

www.findluke.com

Leading up to Luke’s disappearance

Luke went out with friends in Ipswich, Suffolk on the evening of the 11th May 2006, one of Luke’s friends decided to go home not long after arriving in Ipswich. Luke and his other friend went to the Zest Nightclub in Princes Street, Ipswich.

The friend Luke was in Zest with went to the bar to get drinks, when he went to bring Luke his drink he could not find him. After looking for Luke in the club he thought that Luke had perhaps met a girl and left.

Luke was seen at Ipswich train station, 5 minutes walk from Zest Nightclub, at approximately 2.30 - 3am on 12th May 2006, he was asked to leave the train station as there were no trains running at that time of night.

Luke was next seen in Hawk Express, a taxi rank the other side of town at 3.45am, he was trying to get home but had no money on him. He was caught on the taxi rank’s CCTV, he seemed relaxed and in good spirits. After speaking to the staff at the taxi rank they said he was good mannered and perhaps a little tipsy but not drunk.

At 4am Luke was captured on CCTV in Dog’s Head Street crossing the zebra crossing towards the bus station.

This was the last positive sighting of Luke.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Facts
It has been established that Luke was trying to make his way home.

Luke was planning to pick his wages up that day – they were never touched.

Luke’s bank account has not been touched since his disappearance.

There has been no positive sighting of Luke since the sighting of him on CCTV at 4am on the 12th May 2006.

The car shown in the CCTV below, captured in Orwell Place, 9 minutes after Luke was seen, heading towards the Spread Eagle Pub, away from the direction Luke was last seen in has never been identified.

the only thing I can think of was hitchhiking, or perhaps he decided to wal home, and got hit and someone paniked and covered it up. It does not look like he left willingly.
Neptune Marina and the river Orwell are in close vicinity to this missing persons last steps.
I have only just heard about this case but was thinking of poor Anthony Knott from Kent who spent a night drinking in Lewes and fell in the local river. His body was almost washed out to sea as quite near to where the river meets the sea when found.

The last sighting of him was on CCTV walking across Dogs Street towards the bus station at around 4am. Despite a number of media appeals, Luke has never been found.
Sister's heart-breaking letter to missing teenager Luke | ITV News
Apparently the bus station has lots of CCTV so it is uncertain as to why Luke managed to evade any further CCTV.
This is out of the box and may sound a bit bonkers but if he was really drunk when he came out of Zest night club or his drink had been spiked could he have perhaps looked at the street name "dog street" and walked on all fours when he left the bus station evading any further CCTV.
The other possibility is the car mentioned in various newspaper reports. Could he have willingly (or unwillingly) gone into the described car with someone or even been run over and the driver took his body somewhere. :(
Wherever he went he managed to dodge any further CCTV sightings.

Last edited:
I've only just got round to watching the documentary but it was quite enlightening.

I tend to think that the drugs/debt connection is a bit of a red herring. The night out was so random and unplanned, how could he have been abducted?

I think sadly that the most likely scenario seems to me to be that he tried to walk home and has ended up in water :(
I tend to mostly go along with your theory that he ended up in the water which if you look on the map was not that far.
upload_2021-12-5_21-9-42.png

Luke Durbin - The Steeple Times
May 6, 2020 rbbm.

''Luke Durbin from Hollesley, near Woodbridge went missing aged just 19 after a night out with friends in Ipswich. After after being unable to afford to pay for a taxi home at about 4am, this grocery store worker was last seen on CCTV wandering around the town centre in the early hours of the 12th May 2006.

Durbin had left his new motorbike and personal belongings, including his mobile telephone, at his friend’s house and no trace of him has ever been found since. A silver or white Volvo 440 – possibly registration M206 LYE (which was “either registered to a false name and address or on false plates” according to the ‘Missing The Missing’ YouTube channel) – seen also on camera in the close vicinity of Durbin’s last location at the time of his last sighting has never been eliminated from enquiries. Suffolk Police have stated that they “sadly believe Luke was unlawfully killed,” and though a £20,000 reward was offered and multiple arrests made, no progress has been made in solving this disappearance.''

''In subsequent years, Luke Durbin’s mother, Nicki Durbin, has tirelessly continued her efforts to find her son and taken a job working on the Missing People helpline to help others in similar situations. She also operates a Twitter account and an email address findluke@hotmail.co.uk highlighting the case and keeps alive the hope of one day solving what the Ipswich Star terms: “One of Suffolk’s most enduring mysteries.”

Luke Durbin - The Steeple Times
May 6, 2020 rbbm.

''Luke Durbin from Hollesley, near Woodbridge went missing aged just 19 after a night out with friends in Ipswich. After after being unable to afford to pay for a taxi home at about 4am, this grocery store worker was last seen on CCTV wandering around the town centre in the early hours of the 12th May 2006.

Durbin had left his new motorbike and personal belongings, including his mobile telephone, at his friend’s house and no trace of him has ever been found since. A silver or white Volvo 440 – possibly registration M206 LYE (which was “either registered to a false name and address or on false plates” according to the ‘Missing The Missing’ YouTube channel) – seen also on camera in the close vicinity of Durbin’s last location at the time of his last sighting has never been eliminated from enquiries. Suffolk Police have stated that they “sadly believe Luke was unlawfully killed,” and though a £20,000 reward was offered and multiple arrests made, no progress has been made in solving this disappearance.''

''In subsequent years, Luke Durbin’s mother, Nicki Durbin, has tirelessly continued her efforts to find her son and taken a job working on the Missing People helpline to help others in similar situations. She also operates a Twitter account and an email address findluke@hotmail.co.uk highlighting the case and keeps alive the hope of one day solving what the Ipswich Star terms: “One of Suffolk’s most enduring mysteries.”
The article mentions that arrests were made, yet no progress, so obviously the suspects were released again.

I would really love to know based on what evidence they were arrested ... and why they were released again??

Is there any more info on this "Dutch police claim he may have travelled to the Netherlands and are thus investigating the missing case as well."?

If true, there was a man fitting the description found deceased in Poland a few months later. (I'm calling his hair dark btw).

Is there any more info on this "Dutch police claim he may have travelled to the Netherlands and are thus investigating the missing case as well."?

If true, there was a man fitting the description found deceased in Poland a few months later. (I'm calling his hair dark btw).
The Dutch police see it as a possibility he might have traveled to the Netherlands. I really don't know why. Maybe he had contacts with Dutch drug dealers? I always thought placing his missing file on the Dutch police website was something like "doing the UK authorities a favor", but maybe there is more to it.

I don't know about the man found in Poland. It might be, but Luke has/had a tattoo, not mentioned in the Poland UID file.

.I could be wrong but for god sake when are the UK police forces going to use the very new DNA technics for identifying remains...The ignorance is very annoying to say the least IMO. Welcome to 2021. If it's about money...it usually is...there could be organized a fundraising.

I don't think the British police forces would accept crowd sourced funding for their work. They wouldn't want the public to be involved, as it would mean them dictating how to spend the money and conduct their investigation, which they wouldn't like.

It's also a bit of a moral and ethical dilemma too, seeing as they are run on government money. Having a whip-round for the police would bristle with a lot of people, and I've never heard of it happen before. I don't think it would be successful either.

If the money raised would go to a private DNA company to do the work, now that would be a different thing!

MOO.

Just a reminder Luke story is on the vanished Show tonight, channel 5, 9pm.
Please spread the word that Luke’s appeal is airing on Vanished, C5 at 9pm tonight – Thursday 13th April 2023.

The Norfolk and Suffolk Major Crime Review Team are happy for their direct number and email to be used, rather than you having a potential lengthy wait on 101.

Thank you to everyone who has come forward over the last, nearly, 17 years. If you are still holding onto information, PLEASE, PLEASE call the Major Crime Review Team on 01953 423 819, you may go through to their answerphone but do leave a message so they can get back to you. Alternatively, you can email them on unsolvedcasereviews@norfolk.police.uk

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Nicki Durbin

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back