GUILTY UK - Natalie Hemming, 31, Milton Keynes, Herts, 1 May 2016

For six months last year, documentary maker Anna Hall shadowed the Thames Valley detectives investigating the disappearance of Natalie Hemming from the moment of that 999 call. The result is the remarkable film, Catching A Killer.

Some might question using real-life tragedy as TV entertainment but the 90-minute documentary offers a rare insight into the workings of a major crime unit, the twisted mind of a killer and gives a shocking portrayal of an abusive relationship. Every twist and turn in the investigation is captured, as detectives — led by Superintendent Simon Steel — painstakingly unravel a complicated web of lies to convict Natalie’s murderer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4560338/The-chilling-TV-murder-hunt-ll-watch.html

9pm Thursday on Channel 4

Can't wait to watch this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For some strange reason I can only see 100 posts on this thread, I know there are more as myself and at least one other person (Jennibee) have posted today. Please would someone PM me how many posts I am missing so I can alert a mod. The last post I can see is from Tiny on 20/5/17 about Simon Flint. Cheers!

For some strange reason I can only see 100 posts on this thread, I know there are more as myself and at least one other person (Jennibee) have posted today. Please would someone PM me how many posts I am missing so I can alert a mod. The last post I can see is from Tiny on 20/5/17 about Simon Flint. Cheers!

Ignore! Posting again seems to have fixed it!

I just watched the documentary and it was fascinating. The husband gave me the creeps big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Argh, I can believe I missed discussing this with you lot while the case was running. I was really surprised by the lack of media coverage during the trial, it's a vile case and yet such a common story. Watching the documentary was both awful and fascinating, what an absolute *******. He was totally caught out by his own dimwittery though, he couldn't even fake a concern for Natalie or be subtle about withholding his phone. They arrested him and he said "have you found her then?". Ugh.

I still think lessons are not being learned about education about these sorts of controlling, dangerous men. In the documentary her family kept saying she should have "walked away". What happened when she did walk away was that he smashed her skull in. It's still very much a culture of blaming the women who cannot escape these relationships rather than the man of whom people say "she knew what he was like". The Guardian said that not staying in an abusive relationship is "a simple life lesson". It's just so fecking patronising!!

I feel so much for little Bevan who saw his mum's body but didn't know what he was witnessing. I'm so glad that man is locked away but 20 years seems like he got a pretty good deal to me. He'll still be young enough to continue to prey on vulnerable women when he gets out.

Poor Natalie, she was so young and had already lost most of her adulthood to this beast :(

I agree, it was a fascinating watch. Husband's story was all over the place. He also had no problem answering questions until he was caught (on camera in car when he said he was home.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still think lessons are not being learned about education about these sorts of controlling, dangerous men. In the documentary her family kept saying she should have "walked away". What happened when she did walk away was that he smashed her skull in. It's still very much a culture of blaming the women who cannot escape these relationships rather than the man of whom people say "she knew what he was like". The Guardian said that not staying in an abusive relationship is "a simple life lesson". It's just so fecking patronising!!

(

She hadn't exactly walked away given she still lived with him. She could have gone to a woman's shelter with her kids instead of being around him.

Nobody is saying it is her own fault they're warning other women in her position to GTF away now before their heads get smashed in too.

She hadn't exactly walked away given she still lived with him. She could have gone to a woman's shelter with her kids instead of being around him.

Nobody is saying it is her own fault they're warning other women in her position to GTF away now before their heads get smashed in too.

But the point is that there wasn't any guidance on how to stay safe when ending an abusive relationship. In the last year or so I can think of Alice Ruggles, Shana Grice and Claire Hart (plus her daughter) who were all murdered after walking away from controlling angry men. If there had been any voices from Women's Aid , or the Police talking about how they can protect women from DV or anything to do with active education about preventing this happening I think the programme would have come closer to their hope that Natalie's death would lead to others escaping abusive partners to safety.

The programme was about catching a killer though, the makers of it were not obliged to give guidance. I'd say it was fairly obvious from the programme though that any woman in an abusive relationship needs to end it as the abuser never changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched the doco on All 4 last night. It was brilliant and so insightful on how a case like this runs. The gall of the perp was astonishing. I wonder how it would have gone if they had not found the body.

Her poor family - I hope her children are doing ok :(

He was incredible in his arrogance, wasn't he? I thought of Tortoise and her statement analysis because so many things he said just couldn't be the words of an innocent person. He couldn't even fake concern for Natalie.

NH's daughter was on my local BBC news last night supporting a scheme to help children living with domestic abuse in the home. It's on iplayer, but only till 7pm tonight (first story).

BBC iPlayer - Look North (Yorkshire) - Evening News: 15/11/2018

Text article:

A teenager whose mother was killed by her partner is supporting a scheme that sees police tell a child's school about domestic abuse at home.

Kirstie and her brother and sister were asleep when mum Natalie Hemming was murdered by Paul Hemming.

The 14-year-old said it was vital young people got help and support at school.

Killed mum's daughter backs abuse scheme

For six months last year, documentary maker Anna Hall shadowed the Thames Valley detectives investigating the disappearance of Natalie Hemming from the moment of that 999 call. The result is the remarkable film, Catching A Killer.

Some might question using real-life tragedy as TV entertainment but the 90-minute documentary offers a rare insight into the workings of a major crime unit, the twisted mind of a killer and gives a shocking portrayal of an abusive relationship. Every twist and turn in the investigation is captured, as detectives — led by Superintendent Simon Steel — painstakingly unravel a complicated web of lies to convict Natalie’s murderer.

Documentary on Natalie Hemming's murder investigation | Daily Mail Online

9pm Thursday on Channel 4
Glad I saw this, I need to watch it on catch-up.

Another documentary, again from Anna Hall who did the channel 4 doc on NH.

Following on from the Bafta-nominated Behind Closed Doors, documentary-maker Anna Hall's latest film goes into uncharted territory in which she finds children who have witnessed domestic abuse and then asks them what happened to them.

In this film, four children go on camera to talk about what they witnessed and experienced, and the ongoing effect this has on them.

Working with charities and Oxfordshire social services for over two years, this film has painstakingly worked with the children and their families to explore the importance of listening to the child and never ever thinking that just because a child's not in the room, that they don't hear or understand what's going on.

Cat Lewis, social worker at Oxfordshire social services says: 'I think you need to realise that even if you're having an argument and there's no physical violence, your kids will know. And lots of parents say, 'Oh they weren't in the room, they were asleep, they didn't hear it, they didn't know'. They did. They know. Children are very very in tune to what is happening around them and we lose a lot of that intuition as we become adults and life gets in the way. If you are at that stage of your relationship where you cannot communicate properly, then seriously you need to think about not being in that relationship. Because your children's lives will be affected forever'.

One in five children in the UK have lived with an adult who is, or has been, a domestic abuser.

All the latest research shows that witnessing domestic abuse in childhood affects a child forever.
BBC iPlayer - Behind Closed Doors: Through the Eyes of the Child

One of the children is NH's eldest daughter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back