GUILTY UK - Nurse accused in insulin poisonings, deaths at Stepping Hill Hospital, 2011

Strange. Can't tell from the article if they feel sure she didn't do it or simply can't make the case at this time. I note that George Keep's family has been told that "his death no longer forms part of the inquiry." How does someone's suspicious death become unsuspicious all of a sudden?

She's finished as a nurse, surely. How can this not follow her?

s

from badhorsie's Manchester EN link above:

Mr Afzal added: "Rebecca Leighton was charged on the basis that there was reasonable suspicion she had committed the offences and there were reasonable grounds for believing the continuing investigation would provide further evidence within a reasonable amount of time."

So, by "reasonable suspicion," does this mean that she was working on the floors at the time and might have done it? Or was a convenient scapegoat? Both?

It is 'no longer appropriate' to continue the case against Rebecca Leighton, who was charged with poisoning patients at a Stockport hospital, the CPS said. CPS prosecutor Nazir Afzal said: 'The inquiries, which are still ongoing, have not so far provided us with a stronger case which would meet the test that there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction.'
THEY NEED MORE TIME ,WHO KNOWS WHAT MIGHT COME UP . THEY HAVE TO RELEASE HER BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF EVIDENCE BUT STILL ONGOING I BET THE RELATIVES ARE NONE TOO HAPPY.

The investigation into the deaths continues and the prosecution could be re-started if further evidence is presented.

Now they have more time to get to the bottom of this. I am hopefull they will. The public will want answers

I see the latest news is that 47 could have been killed .It would be difficult to prove that she contaminated the saline .If it showed up on the toxicology tests it would only prove she administered it but how could they prove she contaminated it. The police are still saying tonight that it is very complicated and still ongoing. There is so much more to this than people know . They may try another route to gain evidence, whatever, I hope the relatives pursue this to the end and it does not become another case that simply fades into obscurity. The CPS in so many cases have no backbone.

Newly added to Daily Mail link above:
---
Assistant Chief Constable Terry Sweeney of Greater Manchester Police said the investigation may continue for many months. He added: ‘This is one of the most challenging and complex investigations we have faced.

‘We have to work within a crime scene which is a very busy hospital where staff, visitors and patients have some degree of access to products within the hospital.’

Officers have interviewed 200 out of 700 people they want to speak to. Their list includes hospital staff, patients and visitors.
---
Sounds like charges were very premature then.

It remains possible that Miss Leighton may go on trial if police uncover new evidence against her. The CPS said it would consider reinstating charges, “particularly where the allegations are serious”.

It remains possible that Miss Leighton may go on trial if police uncover new evidence against her. The CPS said it would consider reinstating charges, “particularly where the allegations are serious”.
True, but I'd wager not a chance. After this debacle they'd never get a conviction short of a confession being made.

I realize that, in the situation, time was of the essence - a working hospital, the fear, the need for resolution - and I also realize it's easy to sit on my rear end and criticize the actions taken. But they've now wrecked a woman's career.

Nursing and Midwifery Council Statement here

The CPS has suggested that there was enough evidence to suggest that RL stole drugs, this is enough to get her struck off

True, but I'd wager not a chance. After this debacle they'd never get a conviction short of a confession being made.

I realize that, in the situation, time was of the essence - a working hospital, the fear, the need for resolution - and I also realize it's easy to sit on my rear end and criticize the actions taken. But they've now wrecked a woman's career.

I wish I could be as sure of her innocence as you. Wonder why she was under suspicion in the first place and Police are not giving up on her. Still saying there could be enough evidence at a later date to convict. Her career ruined, are you hundred percent sure she is innocent, I don't think any of us can be, can we.
My guess there is some information out there that will eventually come to light. Her quoting she had the support of her family and boyfriend , can't do her much good if allegations against him are true regarding images downloaded or will this be thrown out by the CPS as well.

I wish I could be as sure of her innocence as you. Wonder why she was under suspicion in the first place and Police are not giving up on her. Still saying there could be enough evidence at a later date to convict. Her career ruined, are you hundred percent sure she is innocent, I don't think any of us can be, can we.
My guess there is some information out there that will eventually come to light. Her quoting she had the support of her family and boyfriend , can't do her much good if allegations against him are true regarding images downloaded or will this be thrown out by the CPS as well.
Yes, they pretty well managed to damage two lives, I'd forgotten.

I have no idea if she is guilty or not. The trouble is, CPS evidently didn't either, yet subsequently acted in haste.

Yes, they pretty well managed to damage two lives, I'd forgotten.

I have no idea if she is guilty or not. The trouble is, CPS evidently didn't either, yet subsequently acted in haste.

Have the allegations against the boyfriend downloading child *advertiser censored* been dropped then . If not I think this is a serious issue, if deliberate. If his career is damaged by it so it should be. As if Badhorsie says ,there is enough evidence to get her struck off for stealing drugs then she should be ,its not about the media or witch hunt ruining their careers, it is their own stupidity.

Have the allegations against the boyfriend downloading child *advertiser censored* been dropped then . If not I think this is a serious issue, if deliberate. If his career is damaged by it so it should be. As if Badhorsie says ,there is enough evidence to get her struck off for stealing drugs then she should be ,its not about the media or witch hunt ruining their careers, it is their own stupidity.
Of course she should be struck off if anything can be proven. But as it stands, it cannot be proven.

Leighton also faced a charge of theft of medication belonging to the hospital and this too was discontinued.

We any of us could fall prey to intrusion into our lives and aggressive prosecution based on - what? What did they have on Rebecca Leighton? Evidently very little.

The state is a great and powerful entity. It must be held accountable for its use of a great and terrible power.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/sep/02/saline-poisoning-charges-dropped-nurse

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
upabigtree
Back