Found Deceased UK - Susan McLean, 61, U.S. tourist, Aberfeldy, Scotland, 17 May 2015

Please be careful. Thanks you for your continued searches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty certain this is Susan's FB page, please delete if not allowed

https://www.facebook.com/susan.mclean.1612?fref=ts

Edit: Seemed like she was very active on FB until August last year then nothing since. Nothing to indicate that they were anything other than a close family who loved to travel. Wonder if they moved and the internet wasn't too great where they lived?

She liked hunting. There are photos with her on horseback with hounds. Husband has access to her FB account as used it to comment (saying it was him using it) on a post.

hippy...........

sending much love and best wishes to your collie for a speedy recovery :heartbeat:

it's so hard seeing our fluffies in pain :(

thanks for all you are doing for this case :hug:

:rose: susan........holding onto hope

Pretty certain this is Susan's FB page, please delete if not allowed

https://www.facebook.com/susan.mclean.1612?fref=ts

Edit: Seemed like she was very active on FB until August last year then nothing since. Nothing to indicate that they were anything other than a close family who loved to travel. Wonder if they moved and the internet wasn't too great where they lived?

She liked hunting. There are photos with her on horseback with hounds. Husband has access to her FB account as used it to comment (saying it was him using it) on a post.

It looks to me like she changed her privacy settings last year. In 2013 everything was public, now only profile/cover pics are public (which is standard). I think she was probably still active on it, we just can't see it.

Bringing over the flyer:

447a69a89b16cac205c9649f4592a114.jpg

http://www.maclean.org/susan-mclean/missing-susan.pdf

Link to Scotland Yard on flyer:
http://www.scotland.police.uk/whats-happening/news/2015/may/family-appeal-for-missing-susan-mclean

:candle:
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And these are the same directions but shortened to correspond with where she should be 15 minutes after the video capture, assuming that the camera itself is right on the main road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/M...72f5195349da!2m2!1d-3.862!2d56.615827!1m0!3e2

From what I can see from street view. There is more than one way to drive into the resort and there are certainly footpaths to enter that wouldn't necessitate a person passing the camera at the main entrance.

I was wondering what time hippy hippy's neighbour saw her and whereabouts on the road she was, in relation to the resort. How far was he going to pick up his wife and how long would it have been before he went back down that road to go home. If google reckons it's about 45 minutes to the garden centre maybe the time he returned and, I assume, didn't see her might narrow the distance a bit? I can't see how she could have reached the garden centre at 8pm if the video capture time is correct, without getting a lift there and the point that's really bugging me.

It would also be good to know if all exits have cameras or just the main one.

Where was their lodge in the resort?

Did they eat at the resort or did they go out to eat?

Had they been out that day and where had they been?

PS Hugs to the recuperating woofer, hope all is well today x

Hi All,
Thanks for wishing the dog well, she is going to be fine, just has to wear a cone on her head for ten days to stop her bothering the stitches!
So I shall try to answer your questions Aloysius.
The witness who saw Susan by the Garden centre said it was at "about 8" so it could have been 8:15. I can walk from Moness resort to the garden centre in about 25 mins depending on how often I have to get off the road and wait til a car passes. There's no verge at all so quite a precarious walk. I do it only to pick up my car if it's been to the mechanic who works up there too. (His mother owns the garden centre).
Moness resort where their holiday lodge was only has one road entrance but several walkways go through it, and you can go into town and out the other end to the hospital via Moness. But all these places were thoroughly searched and people questioned.
I'll walk up there this weekend to check on CCTV cameras but the police are only prepared to show us one image...

My neighbours wife works at a guesthouse which is closer to the garden centre than the resort, but if shall verify with him what he knows from that night. Remember, he offered a lift to a woman that fitted Susan's description...so I guess we don't know for sure if it was her, but who else was walking in the rain and cold that evening, right?

Re their lodge, it was one of the two storey lodges closest to the road....at least that's where the police vans were parked for two weeks, and family liason.

They were only in Aberfeldy two days so I know they ate out definitely twice, that is, two different restaurants. They got very tipsy, drank a lot, at the restaurant on Saturday, but apparently Susan was very friendly and very polite.
Please look at a google earth image of the Moness resort to garden centre road. I wish I could provide a link but don't know how. I want to walk into the wood that run behind the garden centre and down the hill toward Murthly Farm. Haven't tried that route yet

My neighbours wife works at a guesthouse which is closer to the garden centre than the resort, but if shall verify with him what he knows from that night. Remember, he offered a lift to a woman that fitted Susan's description...so I guess we don't know for sure if it was her, but who else was walking in the rain and cold that evening, right?

And wouldn't he have picked up on an American accent, if she responded to his lift offer? Unless she just shook her head I suppose. It would be very useful to find out what his take is on it, does he think it was her, did she say anything, did she seem ok? His gut feeling would be interesting to know.

What bothers me is it's never been said that she had a habit of going on solitary walks. There was mention of her being familiar with the outdoors, but doing lots of riding, or walking with friends/family, is quite different from being accustomed to head off on hours-long walks alone.

Hi All,
Thanks for wishing the dog well, she is going to be fine, just has to wear a cone on her head for ten days to stop her bothering the stitches!
So I shall try to answer your questions Aloysius.
The witness who saw Susan by the Garden centre said it was at "about 8" so it could have been 8:15. I can walk from Moness resort to the garden centre in about 25 mins depending on how often I have to get off the road and wait til a car passes. There's no verge at all so quite a precarious walk. I do it only to pick up my car if it's been to the mechanic who works up there too. (His mother owns the garden centre).
Moness resort where their holiday lodge was only has one road entrance but several walkways go through it, and you can go into town and out the other end to the hospital via Moness. But all these places were thoroughly searched and people questioned.
I'll walk up there this weekend to check on CCTV cameras but the police are only prepared to show us one image...

This is the map from Moness Resort to the garden centre

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/M...0xb6c99b42a58d3f8!2m2!1d-3.832308!2d56.605204

I thought it was interesting that the searches so far seem to have been in the opposite direction to the garden centre.

I walked this route virtually, and I was thinking that it would be more likely for her to have gone for a wander, headed down the road a little way and then taken one of the field tracks to go round in a circle and end up back at her lodge. I can understand her going for a wander before bedtime, if she'd had a few and just wished to clear her head, but trekking off for miles along the main road in the rain doesn't make sense.

Sorry about the entrance/exit confusion, I was trying to get the road behind the resort and ended up on Moness Avenue where there is a private road off it, or so it looks, to some houses.

I wonder if the family went out to look for her, maybe took the car and had a drive around? Guessing that if they did then it will be on the CCTV as well, now I know there's only one vehicular entrance/exit!

I thought it odd the lack of media the family did, that they arrived on the 15th for a two week holiday and the 'boys' (who are in their 30s) left on the 25th 'as planned' and dad went on the 1st June. If this was any other case we'd already have mused about life insurance policies etc but I think we're so caught up in what's been presented to us, and which seems the most logical I have to agree, that we're not paying attention to other details. I think for all those other relatives that hopped on planes to offer support and then hopped back on them a few days later, could have afforded for at least one of them to have stayed there and waited for her for a bit longer. It's starting to feel a bit icky imo, I do hope it's just a simple tragedy because how my brain is firing on this one is opening up all sorts of possibilities that are just not nice. :-(

PS Sterling work hippy hippy, really appreciating your on the spot reporting. I'm sure I don't need to remind you to take it easy with neighbour, he could have been the last one to see her alive and well, you know, keep yourself safe x

This is the map from Moness Resort to the garden centre

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/M...0xb6c99b42a58d3f8!2m2!1d-3.832308!2d56.605204

I thought it was interesting that the searches so far seem to have been in the opposite direction to the garden centre.

I walked this route virtually, and I was thinking that it would be more likely for her to have gone for a wander, headed down the road a little way and then taken one of the field tracks to go round in a circle and end up back at her lodge. I can understand her going for a wander before bedtime, if she'd had a few and just wished to clear her head, but trekking off for miles along the main road in the rain doesn't make sense.

Sorry about the entrance/exit confusion, I was trying to get the road behind the resort and ended up on Moness Avenue where there is a private road off it, or so it looks, to some houses.

I wonder if the family went out to look for her, maybe took the car and had a drive around? Guessing that if they did then it will be on the CCTV as well, now I know there's only one vehicular entrance/exit!

I thought it odd the lack of media the family did, that they arrived on the 15th for a two week holiday and the 'boys' (who are in their 30s) left on the 25th 'as planned' and dad went on the 1st June. If this was any other case we'd already have mused about life insurance policies etc but I think we're so caught up in what's been presented to us, and which seems the most logical I have to agree, that we're not paying attention to other details. I think for all those other relatives that hopped on planes to offer support and then hopped back on them a few days later, could have afforded for at least one of them to have stayed there and waited for her for a bit longer. It's starting to feel a bit icky imo, I do hope it's just a simple tragedy because how my brain is firing on this one is opening up all sorts of possibilities that are just not nice. :-(

PS Sterling work hippy hippy, really appreciating your on the spot reporting. I'm sure I don't need to remind you to take it easy with neighbour, he could have been the last one to see her alive and well, you know, keep yourself safe x

Yes, this, Aloysius. My thoughts, too, that something is off. Husband leaves the country so quickly? I don't understand that, especially when family flew over to help search. I mean, two weeks missing and the family gives up???

Thank you so much, hippy hippy, I wish every missing person had a local like you, willing to think about the situation and put feet on the ground and search for the missing. Thank you, thank you.

Yes, this, Aloysius. My thoughts, too, that something is off. Husband leaves the country so quickly? I don't understand that, especially when family flew over to help search. I mean, two weeks missing and the family gives up???

Thank you so much, hippy hippy, I wish every missing person had a local like you, willing to think about the situation and put feet on the ground and search for the missing. Thank you, thank you.

Yeah it does seem quite soon for the family to go back home if it was me I wouldn't want to fly back until I absolutely had to. However maybe the husband has to back to work for financial reasons and couldn't stay in Scotland any longer.

Have any other women or men gone missing in the area in recent times?

Good morning All
According to the husbands fb page, they arrived in scotland May 7th. There's a photo of Susan reading a map at the airport, then no more public posts since then, so I guess they'd been touring and then arrived Aberfeldy may 15.

We have had several suicides here over the past few years, and one lady of 77 who wondered off from her home in Pitlochry and a huge search was carried out for her with divers, dogs etc in an area that she had been spotted and in fact her body was found 6 weeks later two miles in the opposite direction...you can google her Elizabeth Stevenson Pitlochry. No foul play.

Also with regards to the family.
There cannot be financial concerns, these people are very well known on the horsey circuit, eventing is a very expensive hobby/sport. Also their house looks enormous , beautiful property and posh corgi dogs, like the Queen.
Her Dad was Albert Gould, she has two sisters, one of whom is on a local town council but is quite a controversial figure it seems. Only one reporter over in USA has managed to speak to anyone from Susan's side of the family...Anna Elliott who wouldn't be drawn into commenting except to say something about " it's a difficult time". So I emailed this reporter to ask why there is so little local media coverage on what IMO is a rather reportable story. Why no investigation from that side of the pond? Has everyone given up?
Perhaps there was a note left by Susan or perhaps she took money and a passport with her? Such a shame the family/ police can't be a bit more informative so we on the ground can direct our research in a more enlightened way.

Here's another big question for me:
Why did the first report of her going missing state the family last saw he at the lodge at 6:30.... Then when the CCTV image was released on Tuesday the new time of 7:45 was stated.
What happened in that missing 1 hour 15 mins? Could she have left the lodge at 6:30 for her walk, gone to the pub, whatever, then come back to the resort and been captured on CCTV at that point to pick something up from the lodge then headed off up A826 with a purpose. Perhaps the boys and dad had gone to the main hotel bar or spa and so did not realise she had dropped back into the lodge? All guesswork of course but that 6:30 time does stick in my mind.
Will ask neighbour when he saw her, and if she actually spoke to him, what accent.
Let me stress no one walks up that road, too many sharp bends and no verge to walk on. You're on it only because you absolutely need to be so that's why a lift was offered, it's a natural thing to think someone needs help if they we walking on such a risky road.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hongwuzhiye59
Back