University professor, wife killed in Nebraska *Arrest Made*

Dr. Anthony Garcia to be held without bond; preliminary hearing in August

http://www.kios.org/post/dr-anthony-garcia-be-held-without-bond-preliminary-hearing-august

Former Creighton pathology resident Dr. Anthony Garcia will be held in the Douglas County Department of Corrections without bond pending the outcome of an August 14th preliminary hearing........

Garcia, dressed in a yellow jumpsuit and heavily shackled, made his first appearance in Douglas County Court Tuesday morning. .......

Garcia's attorneys argued before Judge Lawrence Barrett that the evidence in the affidavit was "circumstantial and thinly veiled."......

:eek:

Third CU doctor might have been another target

On May 12, Bewtra and her husband, also a Creighton teaching physician, had just finished a Mother's Day lunch. About 2:05 p.m., they received a cellphone call from their security company, alerting them to a possible break-in.

They were not far away at the time, driving near Children's Hospital. Without calling police, they went straight home, arriving just minutes later.

They found that the back door had been partially pulled open. Whoever had done it was gone, perhaps fleeing at the sound of the security alarm.

Nothing in the house appeared missing. So in the end the couple didn't report the incident to police.

Two days later, Bewtra was shocked to learn of the deaths of Brumback and his wife, their bodies discovered in their west Omaha home. Police would later determine from the clothes they were wearing that they'd likely been killed two days earlier, on Sunday.

But Bewtra and her husband at first didn't consider the possible link of the killings to their break-in. About a day later, she and her husband were talking with friends and mentioned the break-in. You've got to call the police, they were told.

Detectives and crime lab personnel came and looked for fingerprints and possible DNA.

Later, after authorities were apparently onto Garcia as a suspect, detectives interviewed Bewtra.

“I do remember him,'' she told them. “He gave me lots of trouble.''

After that, she heard nothing — until last Monday.

http://www.omaha.com/article/201307...hird-cu-doctor-might-have-been-another-target

:eek:

Third CU doctor might have been another target

On May 12, Bewtra and her husband, also a Creighton teaching physician, had just finished a Mother's Day lunch. About 2:05 p.m., they received a cellphone call from their security company, alerting them to a possible break-in.

They were not far away at the time, driving near Children's Hospital. Without calling police, they went straight home, arriving just minutes later.

They found that the back door had been partially pulled open. Whoever had done it was gone, perhaps fleeing at the sound of the security alarm.

Nothing in the house appeared missing. So in the end the couple didn't report the incident to police.

Two days later, Bewtra was shocked to learn of the deaths of Brumback and his wife, their bodies discovered in their west Omaha home. Police would later determine from the clothes they were wearing that they'd likely been killed two days earlier, on Sunday.

But Bewtra and her husband at first didn't consider the possible link of the killings to their break-in. About a day later, she and her husband were talking with friends and mentioned the break-in. You've got to call the police, they were told.

Detectives and crime lab personnel came and looked for fingerprints and possible DNA.

Later, after authorities were apparently onto Garcia as a suspect, detectives interviewed Bewtra.

“I do remember him,'' she told them. “He gave me lots of trouble.''

After that, she heard nothing — until last Monday.

http://www.omaha.com/article/201307...hird-cu-doctor-might-have-been-another-target

Wow fran! This makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end! especially this part....

The most chilling moment for Bewtra came when she read a timeline in The World-Herald tracking Garcia's movements on the Sunday the Brumbacks died. She saw that Garcia used a credit card at 2:26 p.m. that day at the Wingstop near 72nd and Pacific Streets — proof he had been in her neighborhood around the time of the attempted break-in.

“That was absolutely incredible,'' she said. “That was a very close shave.''

She is relieved she wasn't home that day. If she had been, she thinks she probably would have recognized her former student and welcomed him into her home.

Another member opined that Dr. Burmback most likely knew the intruder and opened the door willingly. The map and timeline at the link helps put AG's travels into perspective. It will be interesting to see if LE retrieved any DNA from the broken door.

Oh. My. Gosh!

There HAVE to be other victims- I'm now convinced of that!

Another member opined that Dr. Burmback most likely knew the intruder and opened the door willingly. The map and timeline at the link helps put AG's travels into perspective. It will be interesting to see if LE retrieved any DNA from the broken door.

I think it's possible Brumback recognized the man and let him in. It's chilling to consider whether there was a moment of realization.

Assuming AG is the culprit in the attempted break-in and the information is accurate, the timeline becomes interesting. There's only a thirty minute window between the FaceTime call and the alarm going off. I wonder if the Brumback's were killed after the Wingstop visit. Has LE pinned down the time of death?

I think it's possible Brumback recognized the man and let him in. It's chilling to consider whether there was a moment of realization.

Assuming AG is the culprit in the attempted break-in and the information is accurate, the timeline becomes interesting. There's only a thirty minute window between the FaceTime call and the alarm going off. I wonder if the Brumback's were killed after the Wingstop visit. Has LE pinned down the time of death?

As far as I know, there has not been a time of death released. All LE has made public is that the Brumbacks were murdered on Sunday after the Facetime call because the were found on TUES in the same clothes that they were wearing when they facetimed with their daughter on SUN.

It would make sense if AG killed the Brumbacks after the attempted entry into the Bewtra home. IIRC, Ag's phone records showed a call around the 5 oclock hour at a location in Iowa about an hour away from Omaha. I remember wondering what he was doing during that time from the B's facetime ending until he arrived in Iowa. (Geez I need to work on a timeline in order to keep up with all this tracking his movements because I am working from memory.)

It makes sense and fits the timeline better if he attempted to enter the Bewtra home first, at 2:05 and was shaken by the alarm and left, went to the wing place to get a bite to eat and calm down, then went to the Brumback home and killed Dr. and Mrs. B.

AG made the purchase at wingstop at 2:26 pm, give him 30 minutes/1 hr to eat, stew, sober up a bit from his botched effort at the Bewtra home & figure out an alternate plan, that would be 2:56pm-3:26 pm. Not sure the driving time from wingstop to the B's but it didn't look to be too long a drive to the Brumback's home from the map at link. This theory fills in the missing block of time from 1:36 pm (end of facetime call) until he checked into the hotel in Iowa ( approx 1 hrs drive) around 5 pm.

Great thinking bluesman!!

It makes sense and fits the timeline better if he attempted to enter the Bewtra home first, at 2:05 and was shaken by the alarm and left, went to the wing place to get a bite to eat and calm down, then went to the Brumback home and killed Dr. and Mrs. B.

I think it's entirely possible AG wasn't planning on killing both Dr. Bewtra and Dr. Brumback that day. Surely he knew that would instantly raise his profile as a suspect. Not to mention it would be risky to commit two crimes in such short order. What if it all came down to who answered the door first? The what-ifs are chilling.

Ohhhhh it chills me to the bone, bluesman. We know he went to Omaha to kill somebody. Dr. Bewtra may have very well been his intended target as she was very candid about what a pain in the butt he was in her class and how she wasn't kind in his evaluations.

“I would not be surprised if he bore a grudge against me, too,'' said Bewtra, a native of India who has been associated with Creighton for 40 years. “My evaluations of him were not kind, either.''

Also, Dr. Brumback only began working at CU in '01 and AG was terminated in '01 so it is possible he didn't interact with him as much as with Dr. Bewtra. I also question if he planned to murder both Bewtra and Brumback on the same day but he was harboring alot of resentment and anger and was sloppy in leaving the gun clip behind. And Hunter, Bewtra, and Brumback were the only employees left at CU from 2001 so who knows what he was thinking. Maybe he wasn't thinking due to being filled with such hatred.

Checkered past of doctor recently charged in 4 killings fell through the cracks in Illinois

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...31_1_residency-program-shirlee-sherman-garcia

Murder suspect maintained medical license despite departures from residencies, including one at UIC
July 31, 2013

..........Yet Illinois — apparently unaware of his problems — continued to renew his permanent medical license, exposing what some experts have said are broad weaknesses in how doctors are tracked across the country.......

Garcia was not reported for the incidents in New York, Nebraska or Louisiana.

"This case of Dr. Garcia highlights all the reasons why the National Practitioner Data Bank should have enhanced legal authority to require all these residency programs to report," said Dr. Sidney Wolfe, Founder of Public Citizen's Health Research Group, a consumer and health advocacy organization. "Slipping through the cracks are people like Dr. Garcia."........

Louisiana is one of 12 states that require all applicants to submit a so-called Federation Credentials Verification Service, or FCVS, profile, which independently confirms a physician's academic and disciplinary history and compares the findings with what was reported on the physician's application.

Illinois does not require it. ............ She said making the federation profile a requirement would require legislative approval.

Much more in 2p. article....

Creighton slayings: New details emerge; Garcia to stand trial on 4 murder charges

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130814/NEWS/130819514/1685

Anthony J. Garcia had hoped to woo a bad-boy loving stripper by telling her that he, too, was dangerous and had “killed a small boy and an old lady,” an Omaha police homicide detective testified today.

Douglas County Judge Darryl Lowe cited that testimony in his ruling that prosecutors have enough evidence to justify trying Garcia on four counts of first-degree murder..........

Garcia told the stripper he had to do it — but that they didn't deserve it, Mois said...........

County Attorney Don Kleine also gave notice today the state's intent to prove three aggravating circumstances that might merit the death penalty in the case:

>> That the killings were heinous.

>> That there were multiple killings.

>> And that at least some of the killings were committed to conceal the identity of the killer.

Much more at link with videos.....

Note: Since the cases are now combined for trial I'm requesting the threads be combined.

'When a doctor does go wrong, he is the first of criminals. He has the nerve and he has the knowledge.'

Sherlock Holmes Quote

-The Adventure of the Speckled Band

From January 2016:

Accused killer Anthony Garcia competent to stand trial, experts testify

Accused serial killer Anthony Garcia appeared in court Thursday, where three doctors said he is mentally competent to stand trial.

Garcia is accused of murdering Roger and Mary Brumback in 2013.

He is also accused of killing Thomas Hunter Shirlee Sherman in 2008.

Prosecutors allege Garcia carried out the killings in revenge for being fired from a Creighton University medical residency.

http://www.ketv.com/news/omaha-nebr...etent-to-stand-trial-experts-testify/37442558

Former doctor accused in two double-homicides in Omaha ruled competent to stand trial

A Douglas County judge has ruled Anthony Garcia competent to stand trial. A trial date has not been set.

http://nebraskaradionetwork.com/201...ides-in-omaha-ruled-competent-to-stand-trial/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back