US coal mine collapse traps six-Utah - Thread No. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does make one wonder why someone would set off explosives on a mountain top that is already crumbling down. Things that make you go huh??? :confused:

Oh, I know. Thanks so much for the info you have posted, I just found that line so unbelievable.

That's exactly what I was thinking!

This whole mining situation really needs to be looked at in a whole new way if we are going to continue mining. That includes the rescue aspect as well.

I vote for SeriouslySearching to head the committee.
I would be drilling those holes in every mine and rounding up all the mine owners for a good tongue lashing! Secondly, I would make them have many "stations" of MREs, water, and beacons with loud beepers which would be set off in case of an emergency so when they uncapped the holes in a few minutes after an accident...they could hear those going off and follow the sound thru the mine to look in the right direction or see the beacon of light on the cameras they have inserted in the holes.

The longest known is two miners who survived for 23 days, in 1983 in China.

The worry is, even if they find something through hole #4 and drill the big hole, it takes a few days to set up the equipment plus 15-30 days to drill, since they probably can't chase drill (unless the 5th hole is going to be near the 4th and they found them there).

If they find them alive can't they still drop down food and water and medicine until they can get them out?

Local Rescuer Injured In Utah Mine

A man from Barnesville who traveled to Utah to try and rescue several trapped miners is recovering in the hospital.

Jeff Tripp has traveled all over the country working in mines and is one of many family members who embraced the tough work.

A family member, who does not want to be identified, said his move to Barnesville a few years ago landed him a position as a foreman at a local mining company.

Now he is recovering at a hospital in Utah because of his decision to help rescue several trapped miners.

The family member said it was a courageous deed that doesn't surprise members of his family because he is the type of man that would help anyone in need.

The family member gave an emotional interview with News9.

Tears were rolling down her check when she thought of Jeff Tripp and said she misses him dearly and is praying for a speedy recovery.

She said she is proud that someone in her family was heroic enough to risk his life to save others.
http://www.wtov9.com/news/13923510/detail.html

Looks like some of the miners from Murray's mines here in the valley may have went to Utah to assist in the rescue.

[/b]

If they find them alive can't they still drop down food and water and medicine until they can get them out?

Yes, that is the plan at this point - however, they have to find them first.

I think they should start drilling the 30 inch hole right away so that if worse comes to worse they can send someone down to look for them. Providing it is considered safe enough to do so of course.

Im still saying prayers for the miners and their families ..but I do believe that the miners are passed saving:( ....

Im still saying prayers for the miners and their families ..but I do believe that the miners are passed saving:( ....

Same here, dingo. These folks are in my thoughts and prayers and I'm praying for a miracle, but as time passes the possibility of that miracle grow fainter. :( Sure would be wonderful if they get them out alive.

I vow to not bash Bob Murray anymore at this time. All focus is going to be on the trapped 6 miners and getting them out.

This post from the board says it all to me....

I'm not at liberty to provide details, but I know one of Murray's supervisors (a local coal miner) very well. I'll just say that Murray's emotional response to the fatalities and injuries caught many of those who know this man (well and in the context of the rescue) a bit off guard, even those who have watched him struggle emotionally OFF CAMERA all week. Murray was right there- he saw the condition of the men as they were brought out of the coal mine. He looked at their faces. He held many of these guys hands as they were brought out.

After learning about Murray's emotional response to the tragedy this week and to the whole situation in general from somebody who has worked on the rescue effort with him from day one,.... my blood just boils when I hear people continue to bash him and demand that he make a public appearance. On the one hand, this whole tragedy has renewed my faith in the goodness and compassion and bravery of humanity. On the other, however, I have been disgusted and astonished by the ugliness, ignorance and insensitivity that some people in this world possess.

Since the second collapse (actually, it wasn't a collapse.... the ribs blew), Murray has determined to focus all of his energy on the rescue effort and those who really need his attention, such as the injured miners and grieving familiy members. I say- "good for him!"

I agree with you. It saddens me to see so many people rip on Murray. Damned if he does, Damned if he doesn't. We don't walk a mile in his shoes. What would we all do in his situation?
:(

I agree with you. It saddens me to see so many people rip on Murray. Damned if he does, Damned if he doesn't. We don't walk a mile in his shoes. What would we all do in his situation?
:(
I also agree! We know that his mines are most likely unsafe, but he is a human being and I'm sure he has feeling just like the rest of us. As irresponsible as he may have been I don't think he ever wanted something like this to happen.
I can't help but wonder if the press scared him away. As soon as the second accident happened I saw Fox was showing montages of him that put him in a very ugly light. He could be avoiding the press conferences for that reason. Or maybe after the second accident he couldn't take anymore emotionally. Seriously, if I was in his position I wouldn't be able to help thinking God was out to get me.

I wouldn't be surprised if Murray attempts suicide with all the pressure and threats he's getting.

Crews finish drilling fourth hole into Utah mine

Story Highlights
NEW: Microphone and cameras to be lowered into new bore hole

Utah rescuers killed in second mine collapse identified

The men were killed when a "mountain bump" blew out a rescue tunnel wall

One of the victims had received a promotion the day before, AP reports

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/18/utah.mine/index.html

Candles burn for the six trapped coal miners during a vigil in Huntington, Utah, on Friday.

I wouldn't be surprised if Murray attempts suicide with all the pressure and threats he's getting.

That thought actually entered my mind as well after the second colapse.
I grew up with a father who was a high ranking military officer. He is like a rock, stead fast and strong in very difficult circumstances. People that don't know him would think that he was disconnected and lacking compassion. Not the case at all. My youngest brother who has been somewhat estranged from our family(especially myfather) for many years is gong through some very ugly things in his life right now. Well guess who he calls for support, my father! My brother says that he calls him because he is rational and does not let his emotions over take him in the middle of a crisis. I think that this may be the case with Mr. Murray. I believe that at this moment he is carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Well, I defended Murray early on...but in light of recent events and the things we have learned about him telling half-truths, doing the spin doctor thing, and his obvious interest in money over his men...has definitely changed my tune.

Well, I defended Murray early on...but in light of recent events and the things we have learned about him telling half-truths, doing the spin doctor thing, and his obvious interest in money over his men...has definitely changed my tune.
Murray built a successful coal company. We would be hard-pressed to find anyone in this position, who hasn't had to make financial decisions which impact others along the way. When an accident happens, everyone airs the dirty laundry. He's attempting to make the best of a very bad, highly publicized situation. He's not doing anything that everyone else in the coal industry isn't doing, in an attempt to get the coal out of the ground, and make a healthy profit. The workers are always going to be on the short end, but that can be said about workers everywhere.

Mining is a high risk occupation, but remember it was only the 6th most dangerous on the list. Mine workers earn a high income, relative to the wages paid, in the areas where they live.

While I know this is all true, Buzz...the men didn't have to die for his bottom line.

If we find it is true the floor was already pushing up before the first collapse as some men have stated and they were too afraid to say anything to Murray for fear of losing their jobs...it tells me he isn't that concerned about safety as much as he is about making a buck. No miner should ever fear retalliation from management for bringing up safety issues. In this case, it could have spared possibly 9 lives.

While I know this is all true, Buzz...the men didn't have to die for his bottom line.
Accidents happen, regardless of the bottom line. He didn't make a conscious decision to have an accident. The mountain became highly unstable. Hiindsight is always close to 20/20. MSHA approved the mining plan, and MSHA approved the rescue plan.

See the comment above. The men should not have been in that part of the mine if the floor had begun pushing up, IMO.

MSHA did approve the process of retreat mining, but I believe they will find in this case...warning signs were overlooked.

See the comment above. The men should not have been in that part of the mine if the floor had begun pushing up, IMO.

MSHA did approve the process of retreat mining, but I believe they will find in this case...warning signs were overlooked.

To very dear SeriouslySearching,:blowkiss:

Very nice to read your posts. They are much appreciated.

All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

Has anyone heard when there might be a news conference today yet? The video from drill hole 4 was being analyzed last I heard, so that should be the next thing on the news agenda, along with the progress of drill hole 5.

Hope is definitely fading but they have to keep trying until they know for sure. Alive or not, those men need to be located and brought out.

Did anyone mention yet that the fifth hole is being drilled 4 miles almost directly south from the mine entrance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg