USVI - Sandra Shapiro Laplace, 27, Hull Bay, 1 May 1974

Thank you all for your support. Stephen B and Lawrence were her brothers, both deceased. The facebook page is operated by myself and Sandra's daughter Suzanne. We have put the photos there. Julienne Shapiro was my great grandmother, Sandra's mother. Yes she was a war bride, married to Martin who was an American serving in France. The daughter who was 11 years old was my grandmother Lillian, also deceased now since 1998.

Today I have gotten an strange email from the UK from a woman stating that she is Sandra. We are checking this out right now and will update this site with the progress if this lead is authentic.

Yes, we are still here. We are on other avenues as well and I have had a personal trauma in my family which put me out for a few months. Thank you for posting, we are so happy that people are interested in our case.

There were no divorce proceedings. Mr. LaPlace, her husband could never get a divorce to remarry his longtime companion as a result. We have traced her SSN - no use. However it was quite easy to get by without one in those days and be reassigned a new one later. Her spelling of her name is also a problem because it is different on her birth certificate. Again no divorce.

PinkPanther, we are not sure. There was a skating rink on the corner of the house so it appears that the kids may have gone with school or to a birthday party. Rink has been replaced since with Condo apartments.

I will try to answer all of the questions as we know it. There was a fire in the St Thomas police department where the files were destroyed. That has been confirmed and that is all we can say right now. My great grandmother, her mother, hired a PI in the 70's to look for her and was unable to uncover anything at all. Her son remembers seeing her watching them from across the schoolyard which coincides with a sighting reported by a family friend in neighboring St. John. There were some tensions with the fathers family and Sandra, she was not one of "them" being the daughter of a genuine French woman and an Israeli Jewish father. The father does not say much only that she couldn't handle the life on the island separated from her family. We have reason to believe that she would not have returned to her parents home which we are not prepared to divulge at this time.

We have contacted all of her known friends that are still alive. No one has responded, how ironic. However, we are determined to keep looking and may hire a private investigator.

I think this is the last question to be answered. Her parents were married until Death. Dad Martin died in 1982 and Mom Julienne in 1997. She had an older sister who died in 1998 six months after the mother. Both brothers also deceased now one in 2004 and one in 2012. In 2012 at our uncles wake we had some photo books displayed. The story of our cousins was very limited and so I found their birth announcements in those books and set out to contact them. We had never met. After a year I connected with my cousin Suzanne, and followed up with a visit to St Thomas in May 2014 to meet her and her brother.

No credit cards, but half the bank account was withdrawn before her disappearance. She left no note, but verbally told her husband at 9 pm that night she could not handle the two small children and so left. Her car later found at the bar up the hill from the house and later reports indicate she had gotten into a small boat known for illegal activity that you could rent to leave the island.

We have run checks on her social security number - was the first thing we did when we connected. No leads and that was through a law enforcement agency.

****Update**** we are currently investigating a lead that Sandra is possibly alive. I do not want to divulge the details as of yet, but I will say this - it is evident that Sandra contacted us through this site. So Sandra, if you are reading this and you are our Sandra Shapiro, mother of Suzanne and Ken, we are trying hard to confirm your identity and reunite you with your children.

Hi I'm Sandra's daughter Suzanne. I wanted to personally say Thanks so much for that information. Never knew that.

Finding my biological mother has been tough on me just as its been with everyone who's helping me. I thank you all very much. Its been a long road and all I have are pictures and documents to confirm that she does exist. When I found out my mom disappeared\ missing I always wonder and was determined to find out. No one talked about my mother when I was growing up. No letters or visiting from her parents her siblings or any of her friends came. Is like she vanished and took her family too. As I speak for my self I felt a banded. Every time I find out some information I got nowhere but back to the beginning where I began. As years gone by I find out a little more but not enough to Determined exactly what happen to my Mom. I was very happy when my cousins from My mothers side contacted me last year to re unite. What a beautiful feeling. If my mother Sandra Shapiro Laplace is out there or anyone who knows her personally please tell her I'M DESPERATELY searching for her. What ever circumstances that took her away from us. I personally forgive her and would love to meet her and have closure of not knowing. If for some reason you don't want to be found I understand. But if you have a Heart like mine Just send me a legal Document and some personal information that you Sandra would know about how you meet my dad and your life in St. Thomas. So I can have closure along with my brother. God bless always. Your daughter Suzanne

I am over-the-moon that there may be some progress in re-uniting this family. So many years, so much pain and maybe, just maybe, a chance to heal! Sandra - If you did try to contact your family - hold firm, be strong and keep going! Look how hard they've searched for you and think of how wonderful it could be for you to finally re-connect!

Suzanne and Cousins - Thanks so much for responding here!

Hoping and hoping and hoping!

keeping hope alive that there Is a possible happy ending here

I'm wondering if somehow (real or imagined) Sandra might have felt threatened? Could she have thought that she was in danger?

Always here. Always hoping. That somehow the family can come together.

Bumping for Sandra and her children.

Sorry to say but the person claiming to be Sandra who contacted us was found not to be who she was claiming to be but a scam;((

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back