USVI - Sandra Shapiro Laplace, 27, Hull Bay, 1 May 1974

To my knowledge, findings and opinions of searching for my biological mother is she was madly in love with my father and moved to the Virgin Islands to live and raise a family. She became very unhappy and very depressed of her life and didn't know where to turn. Having problems with her parents and siblings she did not contacted them as of January 1974 before her disappearance on May 1, 1974. We will never know the answer to why because they all passed away. I Believe Sandra had a mental breakdown and someone helped her leave the island. Its very hard living in a society back in the seventies when they see you as an outsider. People can be really cruel and hurtful in words. I think she wasn't strong enough to handle it and having no one to talk to she flipped at that moment and fled. God bless her. If you are Still Alive I hope that you will have the courage to contact us. Thank you all for the bumps and help. Lets keep on bumping for Sandra....

Suzanne and family,
I am hoping your mother is still alive. We have lots of Shapiros in our family, but there is no connection that I can find and it was a pretty common Jewish surname. As a child who was adopted myself, I can tell you that things aren't always as they seem. Your mom might have not been able to take care of two toddlers and said that, but I am betting she only meant at that moment when all mothers get overwhelmed and not in a permanent way. I am glad that you are keeping an open mind because often people have a moment when they can't handle something and when they can handle it again circumstances, for whatever reason, prevent it.

It is my pleasure to bump this up for your mom. Be well.

I'm curious as to why Sandra would seek to leave the island using a small boat which was often employed for illegal purposes.

Was there anything to prevent her just going to the airport and leaving on a regular flight? Presumably she had a passport and/or a driving licence which would presumably have sufficed to get her onto a plane and off it again on US territory.

If she did leave on this small boat where might it have taken her to? The closest logical place is Puerto Rico, from whence she could presumably taken a flight to anywhere in mainland USA, but if that is the case why not take an island flight from St Thomas to Miami?

The small boat option seems unnecessarily risky - not only because she put herself into the hands of people involved in illegal activities but also because of vulnerability to bad weather.

It's obvious that Sandra either felt vulnerable where she was, not wanted or was removed. All of these scenarios are sad. All of them should be considered. I am now tending to believe that she was "removed".

Sandra, if you're out there, please be brave and make contact. If you're not, may those who removed you find within themselves the fortitude to face your crime.

I'm curious as to why Sandra would seek to leave the island using a small boat which was often employed for illegal purposes.

Was there anything to prevent her just going to the airport and leaving on a regular flight? Presumably she had a passport and/or a driving licence which would presumably have sufficed to get her onto a plane and off it again on US territory.

If she did leave on this small boat where might it have taken her to? The closest logical place is Puerto Rico, from whence she could presumably taken a flight to anywhere in mainland USA, but if that is the case why not take an island flight from St Thomas to Miami?

The small boat option seems unnecessarily risky - not only because she put herself into the hands of people involved in illegal activities but also because of vulnerability to bad weather.

The small boat route might be a way to leave if you think your life is threatened. If you think that you're in dire danger.

moo

I'm starting to think that Sandra never managed to leave. That something happened to her before she could get away. I hope I'm wrong.

Bumping again.

It's obvious that Sandra either felt vulnerable where she was, not wanted or was removed. All of these scenarios are sad. All of them should be considered. I am now tending to believe that she was "removed".

I can't reconcile these two statements by Cousins:

.... she left the island under normal circumstances

and

She was seen getting into a small boat in the wee hours of the morning on the 2nd of May.

To me, "normal circumstances" means getting on a scheduled flight or taking a regular ferry. It might include chartering a small plane or a private boat if that was within her, or indeed islands, normal practice for getting on and off the islands. But it does not include "getting into a small boat in the wee hours of the morning". That does indeed suggest that she was afraid or not thinking rationally.

And who claimed to have seen her getting on the small boat?

The earlier suggestion that she might have had a breakdown is an interesting one. The fact that she was having difficulty fitting in with life in the islands and struggling with her young children suggests to me the possibility of depression, especially lingering PND. I wonder whether she could have left to have medical treatment, or could her husband have had her committed for treatment with or without her consent? If without, it might explain her being taken off the islands, apparently clandestinely, in the middle of the night. Alternatively, if she knew of him having such plans for her it would give her a motive for leavinghurriedly and in an irregular manner.

Her husband having a longterm companion is also interesting. I wonder if this relationship started before or after Sandra's disappearence. If before, and she knew about it, it might have been a further factor in possible depression and her wanting to leave.

I apologise if these questions or speculations are too direct or seem insensitive.

Melmoth - I have thought of similar possibilities along the same lines…

Thanks for posting.

Bumping for Sandra.

I just wanted to let you guys know that we still haven't located Sandra Lapace-Shapiro. Thanks for all the bumps. I ask that people please do not speculate stuff if you don't have proof to back your story. My family and I have been down that road and do not wish to go there again. All we want is to find our biological mother. I ask Sandra if your out there and reading this please contact us we are so desperate to know if your alive and ok. Thank you.

There were no divorce proceedings. Mr. LaPlace, her husband could never get a divorce to remarry his longtime companion as a result.

Hi Cousins

I'm curious as to why her husband could not get a divorce if he wanted one. Was desertion not available as grounds at that time or in the Virgin Islands? Were there religious objections?

Divorce law in the UK was extensively amended in the late 1960 and specifically provided for desertion by either party as grounds for divorce. After 2 years separation, either party could petition for divorce, though the other could object and block it. After 5 years, the deserting spouse's agreement was not required.

Hi Cousins

I'm curious as to why her husband could not get a divorce if he wanted one. Was desertion not available as grounds at that time or in the Virgin Islands? Were there religious objections?

Divorce law in the UK was extensively amended in the late 1960 and specifically provided for desertion by either party as grounds for divorce. After 2 years separation, either party could petition for divorce, though the other could object and block it. After 5 years, the deserting spouse's agreement was not required.

Desertion perhaps not "provable" but after many years, couldn't declaration of death be sought?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back